Provenance Incubator Group Teleconference

19 Mar 2010


See also: IRC log


Yolanda, SamCoppens, pgroth, michaelp, +1.619.524.aacc, +1.937.775.aaee, jcheney, Luc, +1.801.712.aaff, Lalana, +49.302.093.aagg
Yolanda Gil


<trackbot> Date: 19 March 2010

<Yolanda> Meeting: prov-xg

<Luc> +0238059aadd is Luc

<Paolo> +??P8 is Paolo

<pgroth> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Requirements_Clean

<Yolanda> Scribe: SamCoppens

<Yolanda> ScribeNick: SamCoppens

<Yolanda> Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-prov/2010Mar/0011.html

General Outline: Take user requirements and condense them along the prov dimension, collected in three major use cases.

<Yolanda> * thanks very much, Sam!

First use case: News Aggregator

<jcheney> http://wikis.nesc.ac.uk/escienvoy/Data-Intensive_Research:_how_should_we_improve_our_ability_to_use_data

Question: merge the use cases?

Yolanda: merge into one use case, it is easier to diggest the information.

<jfreire2> What I like about the Biomedical Example is that it raises the issue of combining workflow provenance with provenance from data on the Web

<Christine> And we could also add other issues e.g. privacy to an epidemiological use case

<jfreire2> On the other hand, the fact that the Public Policy one deals with surveys and other data that is manually gathered raises the very interesting issue of incomplete provenance and missing information.

Second use case: Evidence for scientific results

<Paolo> good mix, Paul

Third use case: Engineering contract scenario

All prov dimensions are covered but not all by the use cases

Yolanda: missing dimensions can be included in third one

<pgroth> 1. use of the provenance information

Question: Which are the key requirements and how to document them

<pgroth> 2. content of the provenance information

<pgroth> 3. management provenance information

Yolanda: three key requirements for use cases as mentioned above

Jim will add the missing dimensions and send out an email for feedback

Comments Yolanda: usefull to have linked data issues highlighted more

Yolanda: original list of user requirements must be extended

In total 15 requirements are not covered

Jim: Linked Data --> be carefull not to be too technical

Yolanda: bring in more the flavour of the linked data in the use cases

<Paolo> yes that's reasonable to me...

<scribe> ACTION: JIM to review use cases by next week and republish the use cases so other can give feedback [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/03/19-prov-xg-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - JIM

More feedback is expected from the new group members.

Next agenda topic: Update on provenance for data.gov.uk

<pgroth> +q

Paul: how do you relate OPM to data.gov.uk

Jun: It gives a more practical implementation of OPM

Luc: OPM mostly used by OPM designers. Good to see it be taken up

<pgroth> could this help us connect to the semweb community more?

Jun: relation OPM and prov vocabulary
... helpfull on how to move foreward.

<pgroth> wow

Jun: at the end of March first solutions will be published

Third Agenda Topic: Update on paper for RDF next steps workshop

Satya: We have detected 5 issues which should be discussed

<pgroth> satya, will circulate this?

<pgroth> will you circulate it?

<Yolanda> there is no draft yet Paul

<Yolanda> we only have an outline

Satya: First point: Named Graphs should be included in RDF specs?

<pgroth> +1

Second: no vocab for rdf graph versioning

Third: adding vocab adding temp correlation

<pgroth> +1 for transitive closures

fourth: no mechanism which triples are used for the creation of new triples

Fifth: SPARQL does not include transitive closure

Paolo: fourth req (entailment), reasoning problem instead of rdf problem

<lkagal> I think including named graphs or quoting into RDF will provide this ability of marking inferred triples with their rules & premises

<Yolanda> trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: JIM to review use cases by next week and republish the use cases so other can give feedback [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/03/19-prov-xg-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/03/19 16:06:18 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: SamCoppens
Found ScribeNick: SamCoppens

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Default Present: Yolanda, SamCoppens, pgroth, michaelp, +1.619.524.aacc, +1.937.775.aaee, jcheney, Luc, +1.801.712.aaff, Lalana, +49.302.093.aagg
Present: Yolanda SamCoppens pgroth michaelp +1.619.524.aacc +1.937.775.aaee jcheney Luc +1.801.712.aaff Lalana +49.302.093.aagg
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-prov/2010Mar/0011.html
Found Date: 19 Mar 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/19-prov-xg-minutes.html
People with action items: jim

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]