Chatlog 2009-02-24

From SPARQL Working Group
Jump to: navigation, search

See original RRSAgent log and preview nicely formatted version.

Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.

<AndyS> PRESENT: AxelPolleres, swh, bijan, Lee_Feigenbaum, AndyS_, EricP, kasei, Phil_Brooks, iv_an_ru, daveNewman, alepas, susie, orri, ywang
14:22:48 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #sparql
14:22:48 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/02/24-sparql-irc
14:35:47 <LeeF> agenda +Introductions 
14:35:53 <LeeF> agenda +Our charter and time line 
14:35:59 <LeeF> agenda +What we all hope to get out of the working group 
14:36:05 <LeeF> agenda +Scheduling teleconferences and a face-to-face meeting 
14:37:20 <LeeF> zakim, who's here?
14:37:20 <Zakim> On the phone I see AxelPolleres, Garlik, bijan (muted), Lee_Feigenbaum, kasei, EricP, OpenLink, iv_an_ru, daveNewman, Phil_Brooks, alepas, AndyS_
14:37:22 <Zakim> On IRC I see Phil, RRSAgent, Zakim, alepas, AndyS_, swh, kasei, AxelPolleres, iv_an_ru, bijan, AndyS, LeeF, ericP
14:38:53 <LeeF> Scribe: AndyS_
14:39:28 <AndyS_> Topic: Introductions
14:39:28 <AxelPolleres> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki
14:39:43 <AndyS_> Round the phone:
14:39:53 <AndyS_> Lee Feigenbaum
14:40:57 <AndyS_> Axel Polleres
14:41:26 <AndyS_> Lee and Axel are the group's co-chairs
14:41:36 <kasei> Axel, is there a way to do that through the conf. system?
14:41:49 <LeeF> kasei, you can type "zakim, mute me"
14:42:18 <AndyS_> Steve Harris
14:42:34 <AxelPolleres> kasei, type "Zakim, mute me"
14:42:36 <Susie> Susie has joined #sparql
14:43:14 <swh> "Luke Wilson-Mawer"
14:43:50 <bijan> zakim, unmute me
14:43:50 <Zakim> bijan should no longer be muted
14:43:55 <AndyS_> Bijan Parsia
14:44:01 <kasei> zakim, mute me
14:44:01 <Zakim> kasei should now be muted
14:45:10 <bijan> zakim, mute me
14:45:10 <Zakim> bijan should now be muted
14:45:13 <AxelPolleres> we'd kindly request people to also send intro mails to the mailing list, and also enter an introduction to the wiki (http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki).
14:45:16 <kasei> zakim, unmute me
14:45:16 <Zakim> kasei should no longer be muted
14:45:21 <AndyS_> Greg Williams
14:46:05 <kasei> zakim, mute me
14:46:05 <Zakim> kasei should now be muted
14:46:12 <AndyS_> Eric Prud'hommeaux
14:46:55 <AndyS_> W3C staff contacts: EricP and Ivan Herman
14:47:12 <AndyS_> Orri Erling
14:47:27 <AndyS_> Ivan Mikhailov
14:47:37 <AxelPolleres> orri and ivan on the same phone line (for attendees list)
14:48:14 <iv_an_ru> Orri is at Utrecht and I'm in Novosibirsk, I guess that lines differ.
14:49:39 <AndyS_> Dave Newman
14:50:11 <AndyS_> (Dan Schutzer not attending today)
14:51:02 <AndyS_> Phil Brooks
14:52:30 <Phil> Hi, Bijan!
14:52:33 <Phil> Jenna Zhou
14:53:00 <AndyS_> Alex Passant
14:53:33 <LeeF> Andy Seaborne
14:53:37 <AxelPolleres> On http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=35463 I don't see yet all of the people here.
14:54:04 <bijan> +1 to AndyS speed point
14:54:16 <swh> +1
14:55:55 <bijan> Oops. Manchester is likely to have a second person as well, someone who's been heavily involved with a joint UManchester/Seimans project
14:56:10 <AndyS_> HP will be represented by two people: Andy Seaborne and Ahmed Ezzat
14:57:16 <AndyS_> topic: Weekly telecon : discussion on timing
<LeeF> summary: Weekly teleconference to be held at 10:00 ET (15:00 UTC most of the year)
14:57:43 <AndyS_>  Issue: PST is 06:30 and we have people on the west coast
14:58:01 <AxelPolleres> (when typing, please mute yourselves)
14:58:32 <AndyS_> Also clash with RIF calls just after SPARQL
14:58:48 <AndyS_> LeeF: Meetings usually an hour
14:59:17 <AndyS_> Dave: 7am is OK
14:59:38 <Zakim> -daveNewman
15:00:11 <AndyS_> LeeF: Suggestion 15:00Z
15:00:34 <bijan> zakim, unmute me
15:00:34 <Zakim> bijan should no longer be muted
15:00:35 <AndyS_> AxelPolleres: then limits me to one hour due to RIF
15:01:11 <AndyS_>  15:00Z = 10am EST = 7am PST until clocks change
15:01:33 <AndyS_> Bijan: teach some of those slots but UManchester will have two people.
15:01:34 <bijan> zakim, mute me
15:01:40 <Zakim> bijan should now be muted
15:01:57 <bijan> I appreciate the chairs consideration
15:02:30 <AndyS_> LeeF: Days other than Tuesday is tricky for chairs/staff contacts
15:02:47 <bijan> If the chairs are willing for asynch feedback from me on the days that I can't attend, I would be grateful
15:02:55 <AndyS_> Phil: 10am OK but Singapore would be a problem.
15:02:56 <LeeF> Very happy for async feedback
15:04:04 <LeeF> agenda?
15:04:06 <AndyS_> LeeF: For now, 15:00Z telecons -- 10am EST -- 7am PST
15:04:39 <swh> http://www.w3.org/2009/01/sparql-charter
15:04:58 <AndyS_> topic: Charter discussion
15:05:12 <AndyS_> LeeF: 18 months running time.
15:05:24 <AndyS_> ... key point
15:05:39 <AndyS_> ... RECs from last time (QL, Protocol, Results)
15:06:20 <AndyS_> ... also JSON Results format -- WG Note 
15:07:00 <AndyS_> ... charter for adding key features for users; things that have been impelemnted and used sufficiently widely
15:07:31 <AndyS_> ... all SPARQL v1 queries shouldl be the same 
15:07:48 <AndyS_> ... scope suggestions:
15:07:52 <AndyS_> ... update and delete
15:08:11 <AndyS_> ... aggregate functions
15:08:24 <AndyS_> ... new filters and functions
15:08:37 <AndyS_> ... interoperability (e.g. service description)
15:08:50 <AndyS_> ... describe inference regime
15:08:59 <AndyS_> ... make DESCRIBE more interoperable
15:09:13 <AndyS_> ... (was non-normative in REC)
15:09:25 <AndyS_> ... consider an XML syntax for SPARQL
15:09:57 <swh> (project named expressions was missed I think)
15:10:00 <AndyS_> ... next week : round table for members to state what they see needed
15:10:36 <AndyS_> EricP: Do some to meet schedule then flesh out if more time
15:11:00 <AndyS_> LeeF: step one is UC&R (2 minths - maybe 6 weeks) will fix the features
15:11:15 <AndyS_> ... charter says prioritize
15:12:43 <iv_an_ru> Shouldn't we make a table with row per feature and column per implementation, to enumerate SPARQL extensions do we have implemented already?
15:12:57 <iv_an_ru> in a wiki
15:12:59 <AndyS_> AxelPolleres: after 6 weeks we can close the feature set to stay on schedule
15:13:27 <AndyS_> Orri: Implemented extensions - will submit the prioritized extensions
15:13:50 <AndyS_> LeeF: Want to gather what's out there
15:14:02 <AndyS_> ... inc popularity
15:14:13 <AndyS_> ... then juggle.
15:14:32 <AndyS_> ... Other deliverables: REC updates
15:14:43 <AndyS_> ... already one month late :-)
15:14:48 <AndyS_> (Only??!!)
15:15:02 <ywang4> ywang4 has joined #sparql
<AndyS> topic: F2F
15:15:27 <AndyS_> LeeF: Travel may be an issue (economic issues)
15:15:33 <AndyS_> ... likely less F2F
15:15:37 <AndyS_> q+
15:15:51 <swh> q+
15:15:54 <AndyS_> ... first F2F around end of UC&R
15:16:26 <LeeF> ack AndyS_
15:16:37 <bijan> +1 to AndyS
15:16:53 <bijan> I've done a bunch of remote F2F participation
15:17:12 <LeeF> ack swh
15:17:15 <bijan> I'd even go down to bristol or host UK folks so we have some "nodes" of f2f particpating at weird hours
15:17:16 <AndyS_> AndyS_: virtual F2F : will set aside time to attend properly even if remote
15:17:33 <bijan> Manchester has a nice room for telepresence
15:17:40 <bijan> The "Access Grid"
15:17:53 <swh> +1
15:18:57 <swh> may 5,6,7 is ok for me
15:19:15 <AndyS_> LeeF: timing: 1st week May (5th May ish) 
15:19:31 <AndyS_> ... Location: Boston
15:19:42 <ywang4> Hi, i just got here. May 4-6 are best for me
15:19:45 <AndyS_> ... maybe other links (e.g.UK)
15:19:57 <ywang4> it's Yimin from Lilly
15:20:02 <bijan> Not great for me
15:20:19 <iv_an_ru> May 1-10 is not very convenient for me but I'm probably missing F2f anyway.
15:20:25 <AndyS_> Looks OK at the moment
15:20:36 <bijan> Mon-tues much worse than wed-fri
15:20:52 <AndyS_> (how many Lilly people are there in the WG?)
15:21:22 <ywang4> I think Susie and me here
15:21:29 <Phil> Plus Phil and Jenna
15:21:51 <AndyS_> LeeF: will try for 5&6 May
15:21:53 <Phil> Jenna, though, may not participate quite as often
15:21:58 <AndyS_> ... will take to email
15:22:13 <AndyS_> Axel: WBS
15:23:18 <ywang4> Hi Phil, I didn't notice you are here as well
15:23:49 <AndyS_> LeeF: Comments and questions?
<LeeF> topic: introductions to mailing list
15:24:14 <AndyS_> AxelPolleres: Self-intros to the list
15:24:55 <AxelPolleres> Please all send self-introductions until next week.
15:25:07 <AndyS_> LeeF: Chairs will seek out editors for documents over time
15:25:39 <AndyS_> End of meeting
15:26:39 <AxelPolleres> zakim, list attendees
15:26:39 <Zakim> As of this point the attendees have been AxelPolleres, Garlik, bijan, Lee_Feigenbaum, AndyS_, +1.518.276.aaaa, EricP, OpenLink, kasei, +1.415.371.aacc, Phil_Brooks, iv_an_ru,
15:26:42 <Zakim> ... daveNewman, alepas