Social Networking at W3C
Dominique Hazaël-Massieux <email@example.com> Mobile Web Initiative Activity Lead
W3C Workshop on the Future of Social Networking
Barcelona, Spain, 15-16 January 2009
Rules of the game
- concrete action items
- "W3C should" is forbidden → needs actual people to lead the next step
- when saying you're interested:
- W3C Membership ?
- time commitment to participate actively
- time commitment to chair a group
- time commitment to edit documents
- Chair: at least 1 day a week
- Editor: at least 1 day a week
- WG or XG: 1/2 or 1 day a week
- IG: highly variable
Data Mining and Semantic Web
- Report on What formats, what they contain, who is using them?
- Mapping between existing formats?
- Use cases for typical queries, transformations, mining tasks
Proposed Incubator Group (XG)?
Decentralized Architecture for Social Networks
Don't create new technologies
Look at how the existing technologies (OpenID, OAuth, RDF/RDFa, FOAF) work together, identify possible gaps
Business case for a decentralized architecture?
XG? IG? WG?
Open questions around:
- micro-payments: has the ecosystem changed enough to make them viable?
- best practices for user policies - but challenge for worldwide adoption?
- role of network operators in the value chain
XG ? IG ? A simple mailing list?
Privacy and Trust
- Collecting current practices on identities management
- Web Privacy Toolbox: user/developers
- Managing granularity of access
Feedback / questions to existing PLING Interest Group?
Adapated User Experiences
Outreach towards social networks operators on accessibility and mobile friendlyness
→ Feedback to existing W3C groups (WAI Education & Outreach, Mobile Web Initiative?)
Context and Communities
Existing work in Geolocation Working Group, Ubiquitous Web Applications Working Group, Web Applications Working Group
- API/Ontology to annotate semantically user context: space / time / roles / social context
- Requirements/Use cases for sensor APIs
- API composition
Continuing the discussion
Slides and draft minutes available next week
Workshop report available 2/3 weeks
Send me pointers to your blogs, photos; your notes would be much appreciated