IRC log of xproc on 2009-10-01

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:00:06 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #xproc
15:00:06 [RRSAgent]
logging to
15:00:10 [Norm]
Zakim, this will be xproc
15:00:10 [Zakim]
ok, Norm; I see XML_PMWG()11:00AM scheduled to start now
15:00:29 [PGrosso]
PGrosso has joined #xproc
15:00:50 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()11:00AM has now started
15:00:53 [Norm]
Zakim, what's the passcode?
15:00:53 [Zakim]
the conference code is 97762 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.117.370.6152), Norm
15:00:57 [Zakim]
15:01:10 [Norm]
Regrets: Vojtech, Alex
15:01:30 [Zakim]
15:01:50 [ht]
zakim, please call ht-781
15:01:54 [Zakim]
ok, ht; the call is being made
15:01:56 [Zakim]
15:02:32 [Zakim]
15:04:37 [Norm]
Zakim, who's on the phone?
15:04:37 [Zakim]
On the phone I see PGrosso, Norm, Ht, MoZ
15:05:04 [Norm]
Present: Norm, Paul, Henry, Mohamed
15:05:54 [Norm]
Meeting: XML Processing Model WG
15:05:54 [Norm]
Date: 1 Oct 2009
15:05:54 [Norm]
15:05:54 [Norm]
Meeting: 154
15:05:54 [Norm]
Chair: Norm
15:05:55 [Norm]
Scribe: Norm
15:05:57 [Norm]
ScribeNick: Norm
15:05:59 [Norm]
Topic: Accept this agenda?
15:06:01 [Norm]
15:06:17 [Norm]
15:06:23 [Norm]
Topic: Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
15:06:23 [Norm]
15:06:44 [Norm]
15:06:53 [Norm]
Topic: Next meeting: telcon 8 Oct 2009
15:07:07 [Norm]
No regrets heard.
15:07:21 [Norm]
s/No regrets heard./Mohamed gives possible regrets./
15:07:40 [Norm]
Topic: Plans for interim CR draft
15:08:17 [Norm]
Norm summarizes the status; getting there but not quite ready.
15:10:16 [Norm]
Norm: I propose a publication date of 12 Oct with a commitment from the editor to get a new draft available by close-of-business on 8 OCt.
15:10:19 [Norm]
15:10:38 [Norm]
No objections heard.
15:11:29 [Norm]
Proposal: Publish the current editor's working draft, with additional changes as seen fit by the editor, as a new interim CR draft on 12 Oct.
15:11:50 [Norm]
15:12:25 [Norm]
Topic: Review of open CR issues
15:12:49 [Norm]
15:13:12 [Norm]
Norm: We resolved 163, or rather directed the editor to resolve it, last time.
15:14:52 [Norm]
Norm summarizes his change to the declared output bindings.
15:14:57 [Norm]
Proposal: The editor got it right.
15:15:05 [Norm]
15:17:39 [Norm]
Proposal: This part of 2.2 has been successfully clarified as well.
15:20:57 [Norm]
15:21:17 [Norm]
Norm: I think that closes 163.
15:22:43 [Norm]
Topic: 166 Steps with no type in p:library
15:24:17 [Norm]
Norm: I think the status quo is that it isn't an error to do this.
15:24:35 [Norm]
...but it does seem a little pointless.
15:24:55 [Norm]
Mohamed: I think we should say something about this.
15:26:27 [Norm]
Norm: I think there are two choices: make it an error or just add a note about it.
15:26:52 [Norm]
Norm/Mohamed discuss the fact that an implementation-defined mechanism could run them even if they don't have a type.
15:27:00 [Norm]
Paul: I don't think we should make it an error.
15:27:45 [Norm]
Norm: It looks to me fairly harmless.
15:27:53 [Norm]
Proposal: Add a note to the spec to inform readers, but not make it an error.
15:28:07 [Norm]
15:28:22 [Norm]
Topic: 167 Runtime semantics of p:try
15:29:58 [Norm]
Norm expresses his feeling that p:try is still in the spirit of this rule.
15:30:43 [Norm]
Henry: It is worth putting an explicit note in the spec about this. If all it said was the result of a multi container step will always be the result of exactly one of it's pipelines, that would be true. But that's not quite true for p:try.
15:31:03 [Norm]
...I think we should add "with the possible exception of side-effects in the main branch of a try/catch in which the try fails."
15:31:09 [Norm]
...Pipelines are going to have side effects.
15:32:30 [Norm]
Some discussion of whether or not the xpath expressions in p:when clauses can cause side effects.
15:32:47 [Norm]
Henry: I think it's worth recasting this.
15:33:20 [Norm]
ACTION: Editor to attempt to clarify this prose, noting that side effects may arise in p:group w/i p:try and from XPath expressions evaluated by p:when or from the bindings within p:xpath-context.
15:34:04 [Norm]
Henry: I'd say "with the possible except of side effects, such as..." so we don't seem to be enumerating them all.
15:34:48 [Norm]
Topic: Progress on the default processing model?
15:34:55 [Norm]
Henry reports no progress.
15:35:06 [Norm]
Henry: I will try to get something done before the face-to-face.
15:35:55 [Norm]
Topic: Any other business
15:36:04 [Norm]
Norm expresses the goal of getting to PR this month.
15:36:20 [Norm]
Mohamed: Last time I looked at the test suite, coverage wasn't that good. Has it improved?
15:36:29 [Norm]
Norm: I didn't think it was that bad after we added serialization tests.
15:36:39 [ht]
zakim, mute me
15:36:42 [Zakim]
Ht should now be muted
15:37:01 [Norm]
15:37:08 [Zakim]
15:37:09 [Zakim]
15:37:10 [Zakim]
15:37:13 [Norm]
RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
15:37:16 [Norm]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
15:37:16 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate Norm
15:37:17 [PGrosso]
PGrosso has left #xproc
15:37:21 [Norm]
Zakim, bye
15:37:21 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were PGrosso, Norm, Ht, MoZ
15:37:21 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #xproc