IRC log of swxg on 2009-09-23

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:54:15 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #swxg
12:54:15 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-swxg-irc
12:54:28 [hhalpin]
rrsagent, set logs world-visible
12:55:31 [mischat]
zakim, who is on call?
12:55:31 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, mischat.
12:56:13 [mischat]
zakim, who is here?
12:56:13 [Zakim]
sorry, mischat, I don't know what conference this is
12:56:14 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, Zakim, mischat, cperey, hhalpin, FabGandon, tinkster, bblfish, AlexPassant, karl, trackbot
12:56:24 [hhalpin]
agenda+ "Convene SWXG WG meeting of 2009-09-16T13:00-15:00Z"
12:56:37 [hhalpin]
agenda+ "General Organization and Task Forces"
12:56:37 [pchampin]
pchampin has joined #swxg
12:56:42 [mischat]
zakim, who's on the phone?
12:56:42 [Zakim]
sorry, mischat, I don't know what conference this is
12:56:44 [Zakim]
On IRC I see pchampin, RRSAgent, Zakim, mischat, cperey, hhalpin, FabGandon, tinkster, bblfish, AlexPassant, karl, trackbot
12:56:50 [hhalpin]
agenda+ "Invited Guest Invitations"
12:57:00 [hhalpin]
agenda+ "User Stories"
12:57:11 [hhalpin]
agenda+ "Invited Guest - Ros Lawler of Random House"
12:57:12 [mischat]
what is the conference name "swxg" ?
12:57:19 [Adam]
Adam has joined #swxg
12:57:49 [mischat]
zakim isn't picking up the phone numbers
12:57:53 [mischat]
dialing in
12:58:37 [rreck]
rreck has joined #SWXG
12:58:50 [melvster1]
melvster1 has joined #swxg
12:59:29 [karl]
trackbot, start telcon
12:59:31 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
12:59:33 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7994
12:59:33 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see INC_SWXG()9:00AM scheduled to start in 1 minute
12:59:34 [trackbot]
Meeting: Social Web Incubator Group Teleconference
12:59:34 [trackbot]
Date: 23 September 2009
12:59:53 [karl]
zakim, who's on the phone?
12:59:53 [Zakim]
INC_SWXG()9:00AM has not yet started, karl
12:59:54 [Zakim]
On IRC I see melvster, rreck, Adam, pchampin, RRSAgent, Zakim, mischat, cperey, hhalpin, FabGandon, tinkster, bblfish, AlexPassant, karl, trackbot
13:00:16 [PhilA2]
PhilA2 has joined #swxg
13:00:35 [karl]
zakim, who's on the phone?
13:00:35 [Zakim]
INC_SWXG()9:00AM has not yet started, karl
13:00:36 [Zakim]
On IRC I see PhilA2, melvster, rreck, Adam, pchampin, RRSAgent, Zakim, mischat, cperey, hhalpin, FabGandon, tinkster, bblfish, AlexPassant, karl, trackbot
13:00:38 [DKA]
DKA has joined #swxg
13:01:07 [karl]
zakim, what time is it? ;)
13:01:07 [Zakim]
I'm glad that smiley is there, karl
13:01:30 [DKA]
zakim, what is the code?
13:01:30 [Zakim]
the conference code is 7994 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), DKA
13:01:40 [karl]
zakim, who's on the phone?
13:01:40 [Zakim]
INC_SWXG()9:00AM has not yet started, karl
13:01:41 [Zakim]
On IRC I see DKA, PhilA2, melvster, rreck, Adam, pchampin, RRSAgent, Zakim, mischat, cperey, hhalpin, FabGandon, tinkster, bblfish, AlexPassant, karl, trackbot
13:02:04 [mischat]
zakim, what conferences do you see?
13:02:04 [Zakim]
I see INC_SWXG()9:00AM, Team_W3M()8:00AM active
13:02:05 [Zakim]
also scheduled at this time are WAI_ERTWG()8:30AM, DIG_WSRI()8:00AM
13:02:06 [rreck]
i dont see conference entry messages
13:02:30 [bblfish]
hi
13:02:41 [karl]
zakim, this will be INC_SWXG
13:02:41 [Zakim]
ok, karl, I see INC_SWXG()9:00AM already started
13:02:43 [Zakim]
+cperey
13:02:46 [karl]
zakim, who's on the phone?
13:02:46 [Zakim]
On the phone I see pchampin, +1.617.800.aaaa, +1.314.683.aabb, ??P5, mauro, Phil_Archer, ??P12, bblfish, cperey
13:02:50 [Zakim]
-??P5
13:02:59 [Zakim]
+ +1.774.811.aacc
13:03:01 [Zakim]
- +1.617.800.aaaa
13:03:09 [DKA]
zakim, aacc is me
13:03:09 [Zakim]
+DKA; got it
13:03:14 [Zakim]
+mauro.a
13:03:15 [Zakim]
+??P5
13:03:21 [DKA]
zakim, who is here?
13:03:21 [Zakim]
On the phone I see pchampin, +1.314.683.aabb, mauro, Phil_Archer, ??P12, bblfish, cperey, DKA, mauro.a, ??P5
13:03:21 [AlexPassant]
Zakim, ??P5 is me
13:03:22 [hhalpin]
Zakim, ??P5 is hha;pin
13:03:24 [hhalpin]
Zakim, ??P5 is hhalpin
13:03:25 [Zakim]
On IRC I see DKA, PhilA2, melvster, rreck, Adam, pchampin, RRSAgent, Zakim, mischat, cperey, hhalpin, FabGandon, tinkster, bblfish, AlexPassant, karl, trackbot
13:03:31 [Zakim]
+AlexPassant; got it
13:03:31 [Zakim]
I already had ??P5 as AlexPassant, hhalpin
13:03:33 [Zakim]
I already had ??P5 as AlexPassant, hhalpin
13:03:35 [Zakim]
+??P17
13:03:39 [Zakim]
-??P12
13:03:39 [hhalpin]
Zakim, next agendum
13:03:41 [Zakim]
agendum 1. ""Convene SWXG WG meeting of 2009-09-16T13:00-15:00Z"" taken up [from hhalpin]
13:03:46 [AlexPassant]
have you just joined as well hhalpin ?
13:03:51 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.800.aadd
13:03:52 [hajons]
hajons has joined #swxg
13:03:53 [hhalpin]
chair: hhalpin
13:04:00 [hhalpin]
scribe: Karl Dubost
13:04:01 [mischat]
zakim, ??P17 is mischat
13:04:01 [Zakim]
+mischat; got it
13:04:03 [Zakim]
-AlexPassant
13:04:03 [Zakim]
+??P12
13:04:10 [mischat]
zakim, mute me
13:04:10 [Zakim]
mischat should now be muted
13:04:13 [hhalpin]
Zakim, who's in on the phone
13:04:13 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who's in on the phone', hhalpin
13:04:14 [hhalpin]
Zakim, who's in on the phone?
13:04:17 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, hhalpin.
13:04:18 [hhalpin]
Zakim, who's on the phone?
13:04:21 [Zakim]
On the phone I see pchampin, +1.314.683.aabb, mauro, Phil_Archer, bblfish, cperey, DKA, mauro.a, mischat (muted), +1.617.800.aadd, ??P12
13:04:21 [melvster]
Zakim, ??P12 is me
13:04:23 [karl]
zakim, +1.617.800.aadd is karl
13:04:26 [Zakim]
+melvster; got it
13:04:30 [Zakim]
+??P5
13:04:32 [Zakim]
+karl; got it
13:04:33 [AlexPassant]
Zakim, ??P5 is me
13:04:34 [Zakim]
+AlexPassant; got it
13:04:44 [hhalpin]
Present: pchampin, +1.314.683.aabb, mauro, Phil_Archer, bblfish, cperey, DKA, mauro.a, mischat (muted), karl, AlexPassant
13:05:01 [hhalpin]
PROPOSED: to approve SWXG WG Weekly -- 16th September 2009 (only text IRC notes!) as a true record.
13:05:13 [hhalpin]
http://www.w3.org/2009/09/16-swxg-minutes.html
13:05:22 [Zakim]
+ +46.1.08.01.aaee
13:05:33 [rreck]
+1
13:05:39 [hhalpin]
APPROVED: SWXG WG Weekly -- 16th September 2009 as a true record.
13:05:48 [mischat]
hehe
13:05:56 [danbri]
danbri has joined #swxg
13:06:14 [hhalpin]
[DONE] ACTION: hhalpin needs to convert previous minutes into HTML via some scripting
13:06:33 [Adam]
zakim, aabb is me
13:06:33 [Zakim]
+Adam; got it
13:06:35 [karl]
Topic: Intro
13:06:36 [hhalpin]
Meet again next Sept 30th.
13:06:46 [karl]
hhalpin: we should get Saint-Andre for XMPP
13:06:53 [Zakim]
+??P19
13:06:54 [hhalpin]
Zakim, next agendum
13:06:55 [Zakim]
agendum 2. ""General Organization and Task Forces"" taken up [from hhalpin]
13:07:14 [hhalpin]
Include the open day work..
13:07:37 [mib_g2l1c51j]
mib_g2l1c51j has joined #swxg
13:07:47 [karl]
zzzz: We are on a track …
13:07:57 [MacTed]
MacTed has joined #swxg
13:08:10 [karl]
... 200 people for the venue
13:08:16 [mischat]
zakim, who is making noise?
13:08:20 [karl]
... It will be like a barcamp event
13:08:29 [Zakim]
mischat, listening for 11 seconds I heard sound from the following: karl (3%)
13:08:33 [Zakim]
+OpenLink_Software
13:08:45 [MacTed]
Zakim, OpenLink_Software is temporarily MacTed
13:08:45 [Zakim]
+MacTed; got it
13:08:47 [karl]
... we will have opportunity to learn about social networking
13:08:47 [MacTed]
Zakim, mute me
13:08:47 [Zakim]
MacTed should now be muted
13:08:56 [karl]
... and @@blabla
13:09:10 [oshani]
oshani has joined #swxg
13:09:20 [karl]
... christine proposed an agenda
13:09:28 [cperey]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/Planning_for_TPAC_Open_Day
13:09:36 [karl]
... we need to add some sessions
13:09:54 [Zakim]
+??P21
13:09:56 [Zakim]
+MIT531
13:10:44 [karl]
... w3c wishes we are using channels of w3c for communicating?
13:10:49 [cperey]
so the name of the wiki page needs to be modified!
13:11:10 [cperey]
henry?
13:11:22 [karl]
bblfish: there will be cakes
13:11:33 [DKA]
You had me at "cakes."
13:11:41 [karl]
... there will be a cantine
13:11:46 [karl]
... (kind of restaurant)
13:11:49 [cperey]
so we need a registration system. Who has one of those?
13:12:03 [hhalpin]
for registration I'd use eventbrite.com
13:12:06 [karl]
... We need to have a place where people can sign-up
13:12:07 [hhalpin]
seems to work well.
13:12:08 [cperey]
exactly, we need a web page
13:12:12 [karl]
... barcamp alike
13:12:44 [cperey]
what about speaker invites?
13:13:07 [cperey]
can we brainstorm some speaker names?
13:13:12 [cperey]
on wiki or on the call?
13:13:38 [karl]
s/zzzz/DKA/
13:13:46 [bblfish]
not choppy here
13:14:02 [cperey]
agreed
13:14:12 [cperey]
can you please propose a day/time?
13:14:43 [cperey]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/Planning_for_TPAC_Open_Day <--at the bottom of the page is a place for invites
13:14:54 [hhalpin]
"before the call"
13:15:07 [karl]
DKA: We could meet before the call next week
13:15:30 [karl]
bblfish: If people could attend identity workshop
13:15:38 [hhalpin]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-socialweb/2009Sep/0050.html
13:15:45 [DKA]
Suggest a tag line for the event "Advancing the Cause of the Social Web."
13:15:48 [hhalpin]
http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/
13:15:52 [bblfish]
I should be there
13:15:57 [karl]
... Most of the good speakers will be at the identity workshop.
13:16:05 [hhalpin]
http://iiw9.eventbrite.com/
13:16:06 [mischat]
barcamp uses it too
13:16:10 [PhilA2]
I've used Eventbrite - seems good
13:16:15 [karl]
... I will be there
13:16:36 [Zakim]
+tinkster
13:16:48 [karl]
... should we start something for the open social web day
13:17:01 [karl]
... It would be good if people could attend.
13:17:16 [hhalpin]
Thursday on TPAC
13:17:18 [karl]
... We will have two days at the TPAC but it's kind possible to attend both
13:17:21 [hhalpin]
Open Developer Day
13:17:31 [karl]
... On TPAC, there will be also the Open Developer Day.
13:17:49 [hhalpin]
We are also looking for one or two speakers to talk about Social Web to the people at the developer day.
13:18:05 [karl]
... We are also looking for one or two speakers to speak about Social web things at the Open Developer Day.
13:18:10 [karl]
... Please register asap
13:18:18 [hhalpin]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-socialweb/2009Sep/0051.html
13:18:31 [karl]
hhalpin: there is a suggestion to change the telcon time
13:18:39 [hhalpin]
6:00 AM in California
13:18:41 [karl]
Topic: Telcon time
13:18:50 [karl]
... it is a bit early on the west coast
13:19:08 [hhalpin]
If we kept the same day but moved the call back 2 hours.
13:19:10 [mischat]
+1
13:19:13 [MacTed]
+1
13:19:13 [bblfish]
+1
13:19:13 [pchampin]
+1
13:19:13 [karl]
... How many people would be ok if we keep the same day
13:19:14 [AlexPassant]
+1
13:19:15 [oshani]
+1
13:19:15 [tinkster]
2 hours would be fine for me.
13:19:16 [melvster]
+1
13:19:18 [cperey]
two hours
13:19:20 [karl]
but two hours.
13:19:21 [DKA]
+1 I would be fine.
13:19:22 [karl]
-1
13:19:29 [cperey]
+1
13:19:29 [karl]
-1 (work reasons)
13:19:54 [Adam]
what about just an hour later?
13:19:57 [tinkster]
bear in mind that daylight savings is coming up soon.
13:20:01 [hhalpin]
q+ DanBri
13:20:03 [hhalpin]
ack DanBri
13:20:13 [cperey]
yes, that messes things up
13:20:43 [karl]
karl: I will not be able to move my time because of my work in a Web agency
13:20:45 [hhalpin]
Make it 2 hours LATER
13:20:52 [karl]
... that's fine though. change the time
13:20:56 [hhalpin]
So 15:00UTC
13:21:06 [hhalpin]
Karl - can you do 2 hours later?
13:21:07 [karl]
RESOLUTION: Telconf is moved at 15:00 UTC
13:21:24 [danbri]
(was there a resolution already?)
13:21:33 [hhalpin]
Let's not change it quite yet
13:21:40 [hhalpin]
Let me run this by some of the people in San Fran
13:21:44 [karl]
:) resolution might be changed ;)
13:21:48 [hhalpin]
They actually trying to participate.
13:21:52 [cperey]
it would be slightly easier to change it after we are all aligned
13:21:57 [cperey]
after change of daylight savings
13:22:11 [melvster]
california has daylight saving too, normally its 1-2 weeks within the european change
13:22:52 [karl]
aaa: it's not sure we will get more participants by moving the time
13:22:52 [PhilA2]
I have tried changing times of calls to suit different people before now - and in that case the people we changed to accommodate - didn't ever show up :-(
13:22:53 [bblfish]
I agree, 8 is limit 9am would be something
13:22:57 [karl]
hhalpin: somepeople asked
13:23:02 [karl]
... so we could try
13:23:04 [DKA]
s/aaa/Dan
13:23:28 [hhalpin]
ACTION: hhalpin to get back to people on possible telecon time to change to 15:00 UTC.
13:23:28 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-89 - Get back to people on possible telecon time to change to 15:00 UTC. [on Harry Halpin - due 2009-09-30].
13:23:31 [karl]
... just asking for now
13:23:37 [cperey]
+q
13:23:37 [bblfish]
how does daylight saving time change things
13:23:49 [hhalpin]
[DONE] ACTION: cperey to start a wiki page about the open day session at TPAC
13:23:56 [hhalpin]
[DONE] ACTION: DKA to double-check on TPAC, make sure SWXG is booked.
13:24:04 [DKA]
ack cperey
13:24:09 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION: DKA to summarize OSLO and geoLocation conversation in order to spread knowledge of these efforts among W3C members.
13:24:18 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION:Mischa to describe/implement a report of terms and conditions, and how they change between now and the end of the XG.
13:24:43 [mischat]
hhalpin: am aware of my action, will get on it
13:24:44 [hhalpin]
We definitely should wait till we are on the spread.
13:24:44 [karl]
cperey: we could wait until everyone is on the same timezone
13:24:54 [karl]
... for avoiding the mess of time change
13:24:55 [hhalpin]
[DONE] ACTION:Melvster to write up David Raggett's guest talk on context, delegated privacy providers, and so on.
13:24:57 [karl]
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?low=8
13:25:08 [hhalpin]
Zakim, next agendum
13:25:09 [Zakim]
agendum 3. ""Invited Guest Invitations"" taken up [from hhalpin]
13:25:17 [tinkster]
e.g. Sydney is UTC+10, but in practice is either 9 hours or 11 hours ahead of London because of non-overlapping daylight savings.
13:25:49 [karl]
cperey: what should we do for upcoming guest speakers?
13:26:13 [cperey]
www.globallockbox.com
13:26:26 [karl]
hhalpin: they don't do privacy policy per se
13:26:32 [hhalpin]
Nov or October?
13:26:52 [danbri]
so long as they're talkign about general issues, trends etc., and their approach in broad brush, seems great
13:26:52 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION: danbri to find someone from Opera to talk Widgets
13:27:02 [karl]
cperey: Is what they do is relevant to social networks?
13:27:05 [hhalpin]
[DONE] ACTION: danbri and karl to contact Evan of identi.ca over OpenMicroblogging and W3C.
13:27:06 [karl]
... they do a lot of things
13:27:09 [danbri]
rather than on detail of the patented works, which i think we wouldn't want to hear about
13:27:16 [hhalpin]
[DONE] ACTION:Renato and DanBri and hhalpin to schedule DataPortability.org/XMPP
13:27:20 [karl]
... they are in California,
13:27:28 [mischat]
i would like to try and invite someone from the BBC to talk about how they used twitter to report news on this last iranian elections, post having all of their reporter being chucked out
13:27:29 [karl]
... so they will be happy if we change the time.
13:27:30 [hhalpin]
ACTION: cperey to book global lockbox as an invited speaker
13:27:30 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-90 - Book global lockbox as an invited speaker [on Christine Perey - due 2009-09-30].
13:27:34 [mischat]
q+
13:27:39 [hhalpin]
ack Zakim
13:27:53 [hhalpin]
ack mischat
13:27:53 [mischat]
i will start mailing people and i will mail the list
13:28:02 [tinkster]
yes
13:28:02 [bblfish]
yes
13:28:22 [karl]
mischat: On the guardian, they had an interview
13:28:34 [karl]
... about how bbc tracked the iranian elections through twitter
13:28:37 [danbri]
that would be great, +1 from me
13:28:42 [melvster]
+1
13:28:43 [tinkster]
+1
13:28:44 [pchampin]
+1
13:28:45 [karl]
... would people be happy to hear that.
13:28:50 [mischat]
zakim, mute me
13:28:50 [Zakim]
mischat should now be muted
13:28:50 [DKA]
+1
13:28:50 [hhalpin]
sounds interstig, particulary re provenance use case danbri brought up earlier
13:28:57 [danbri]
provenance and retweet api discussions continue in the statusnet list
13:29:01 [hhalpin]
Zakim, next agendum
13:29:01 [Zakim]
agendum 4. ""User Stories"" taken up [from hhalpin]
13:29:13 [cperey]
anyone from OpenSocial?
13:29:28 [cperey]
I've touched bases with David Glazer
13:29:32 [Zakim]
+ +0207840aaff
13:29:40 [danbri]
http://lists.status.net/pipermail/statusnet-dev/2009-September/002344.html - statusnet / retweet thread
13:29:55 [karl]
hhalpin: bblfish do you have any updates?
13:29:58 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION: adam to write up the boeing use case for enterprise social networks
13:30:05 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION : rreck to flesh out anonymous usecase connecting to multiple identies and null provenance
13:30:13 [karl]
bblfish: I will be meeting with someone in Paris here
13:30:15 [hhalpin]
When you meet up with Tim ping me
13:30:26 [hhalpin]
And I can walk you and Tim through the W3C CVS editing process
13:30:32 [hhalpin]
and we can hopefully get Oshani on the week.
13:30:42 [hhalpin]
Oshani on the call - and Karl also would know all of this!!
13:30:51 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION: Oshani to merge document takedown with time-related takedown "forget this in ten years" and more general concept of data removal.
13:31:05 [karl]
... I would like to have a document to be easier to read.
13:31:07 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION:oshani to reframe the geolocation/intent/portability
13:31:11 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION: oshani to flesh out "Intransitivity of Policies Applied to Social Network Data"
13:31:21 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION: bblfish to relabel data protection use case to be about controlled access and takedown to data "about" you
13:31:38 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION: bblfish to merge Family and Group access usecases
13:31:43 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION:caribou to flesh out Data Protection use-case specifying user vs. purpose, cite their work in PrimeLife
13:32:06 [hhalpin]
[CONTINUES] ACTION: hhalpin explain to henry and oshani doc editing process for usecases
13:32:16 [hhalpin]
Zakim, next agendum
13:32:16 [Zakim]
agendum 5. ""Invited Guest - Ros Lawler of Random House"" taken up [from hhalpin]
13:32:17 [oshani]
2 of my actions are done: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/UserStories#Document_Takedowns and http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/UserStories#Intransitivity_of_Policies_Applied_to_Social_Network_Data
13:32:38 [hhalpin]
[DONE] ACTION: oshani to flesh out "Intransitivity of Policies Applied to Social Network Data"
13:32:53 [hhalpin]
[DONE] ACTION: Oshani to merge document takedown with time-related takedown "forget this in ten years" and more general concept of data removal.
13:32:59 [karl]
bbb: a lot of the user stories we have are centered on individuals
13:33:19 [mischat]
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ros-lawler/7/327/b0b
13:33:34 [karl]
Ros: we have experimented into social networks
13:33:36 [PhilA]
Guest speaker: Ros Lawler, random House
13:33:47 [karl]
... identifying fan and interests group
13:33:47 [PhilA]
uses social networks to find fan groups
13:33:51 [PhilA]
create fan groups
13:34:00 [karl]
... creating fan groups
13:34:35 [karl]
... the work of analysis is a lot easier
13:34:37 [mischat]
http://www.davegorman.com/
13:35:44 [PhilA]
Will try Karl
13:35:55 [PhilA]
If there's no fan gourp - how do we create one
13:36:07 [bblfish]
terry Pratchet
13:36:07 [PhilA]
Need to understand the community, like Terry Pratchett
13:36:19 [PhilA]
Approached Bebo to do some promo work as taregting younger demographic
13:36:23 [PhilA]
Berbo more creative
13:36:38 [PhilA]
Contatcted marketing folk at Bebo - make it interesting nad we'll make it easy for you
13:36:45 [pchampin]
s/Berbo/Bebo/
13:36:56 [PhilA]
get folk on Bebo to dress up as Dsicword characters
13:37:08 [PhilA]
Got list of over x thousand friends - quick data captyre
13:37:16 [PhilA]
Facebook has lots of activity. Some good some not
13:37:27 [PhilA]
Worked well - long cookery list
13:37:28 [bblfish]
"cooking the books"
13:37:45 [PhilA]
Group called cooking teh books - work within frameowrk of social network
13:37:53 [PhilA]
We have author sites, chick let sites etc
13:38:05 [bblfish]
ROY - return on invsetment
13:38:09 [karl]
social networks can be really time consuming
13:38:21 [PhilA]
Can be time consuming to run a new group - so need to make sure we're actually getting sales
13:38:24 [karl]
direct sales are really poor in social network
13:38:29 [PhilA]
Need to fine ways to build data capture
13:38:46 [PhilA]
E-mail gives us a good ROI - use SNs to capture e-mail etc.
13:38:56 [PhilA]
Good publicity success on the back of SNs
13:39:07 [PhilA]
Still working on how much time do you put in
13:39:10 [karl]
wonders if there are metrics for measuring
13:39:14 [PhilA]
balance of effort/return
13:39:24 [karl]
s/wonders/karl wonders/
13:39:58 [karl]
ccc: one of the obsessive topic is privacy
13:40:13 [karl]
ros: it has to be opt-in.
13:40:23 [karl]
... in terms of our privacy we don't have any
13:40:32 [PhilA]
Some of us did this from our personal profiles - now moved into professional area
13:40:41 [PhilA]
Now done in name of author, or publishing house or imprint
13:41:10 [karl]
ccc: are there missing features on twitter?
13:41:23 [PhilA]
PhilA: is there things you'd like to see on Twitter and SNs?
13:41:28 [karl]
ros: it is very time consuming, we could a one login for all of them.
13:41:33 [PhilA]
Ros: Don't think there is a shortcut - wish there were one
13:41:37 [bblfish]
"onr login to all of them"
13:41:38 [karl]
... log in to all of them, etc.
13:42:05 [karl]
q+ is it time consuming to contribute or to read
13:42:17 [karl]
q+ to ask if it is time consuming to contribute or to read
13:42:43 [PhilA]
Lots of people here being shown how to use Tweetdeck etc. IT teems say no to download and install anything
13:42:58 [bblfish]
so you have to work from home :-)
13:43:05 [PhilA]
Everyone appreciates the argument but it gets in the way.
13:43:13 [DKA]
q+
13:43:16 [PhilA]
So there's a rpobelm from a corporate point of view
13:43:21 [hhalpin]
ack karl
13:43:21 [Zakim]
karl, you wanted to ask if it is time consuming to contribute or to read
13:43:39 [hhalpin]
ack DKA
13:43:48 [MacTed]
(trouble with Twitter echoes to Facebook, LJ, etc., is -- how can I read my Tweetstream *and* those others without endless duplication/multiplication? Usenet is hard to reinvent!)
13:44:05 [PhilA]
DKA: Vodafone is very large and conservative - the culture change needed for corporate networks to be available is big. It's still happening, we're not there yet. But it does need to happen
13:44:26 [PhilA]
.. it happens from the PR organisation, not the IT team
13:44:38 [PhilA]
.. the PR team get it - the IT Crew may need more persuasion
13:45:03 [PhilA]
DKA: Maybe there's somthing to be said about Best pratice for large orgnaisations
13:45:04 [Adam]
q+
13:45:13 [PhilA]
IT policies can be a blocker to adoption
13:45:42 [PhilA]
Ros: We're also discussing cost. We take up a lot of bandwidth looking at facebook and so on - what is the legitimate use of the system. Video increasingly improtant
13:45:49 [PhilA]
ack karl
13:46:08 [bblfish]
q+
13:46:15 [PhilA]
Karl: Is it time consuming to read or to contribute?
13:46:38 [PhilA]
Ros: Both take a lot of time to do properly. It's about establishing a relationship. Doing it meaningfully takes time
13:46:40 [danbri]
re "Best pratice for large orgnaisations", ... interesting suggestion
13:47:09 [mischat]
i recall Habitatâ„¢ using Twitter to get advertising traffic, and was caught out for trying to hijack #iranelections to sell their products http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8116869.stm. I wonder how bad that was for their reputation
13:47:13 [PhilA]
Karl: From my experience it's a lot easier to track things when you're organised. An aggregator can create dynamic lists, and filtering. Contributing can take longer
13:47:42 [karl]
zakim, mute me
13:47:47 [Zakim]
karl should now be muted
13:47:54 [PhilA]
Ros: We're creating content that we want to be able to distribute across multiple sites - hence we've created out own widget that gives you free access to some new books etc.
13:48:09 [PhilA]
.. gets more mass reach through social objects and automated distribution
13:48:12 [PhilA]
Ack Adam
13:48:27 [hhalpin]
Zakim, ack Adam
13:48:27 [Zakim]
I see bblfish on the speaker queue
13:48:57 [PhilA]
Adam: We (boeing) did a bench mark study about the culture - we had to not release tech because the culture wasn't ready. Is this going to save me time and money?
13:49:08 [karl]
culture is more important than technology. Pushbacks are coming from the need to understand if it will be beneficial to the company
13:49:09 [PhilA]
Culture more improtant than tech
13:49:26 [PhilA]
Ros: When I joined 3 years ago digital literacy was very low. Now we've built it up throughout the organisation
13:49:30 [hhalpin]
Zakim, ack bblfish
13:49:30 [Zakim]
I see no one on the speaker queue
13:49:34 [PhilA]
ack: bblfish
13:49:54 [karl]
bblfish: how many social networks you are following and contributing?
13:49:57 [PhilA]
bblfish: How many SNs do you contribute to/follow and how many can you not join because it's too much work
13:50:37 [PhilA]
Ros: we do have a lot of marketeers across the company - probably 10 or so across the group - and we go where the fans/readers are
13:51:13 [PhilA]
.. yes, we're on TWitter and FB because that's where the numbers are but then we'll do more specialist things like, for example, LinkedIn for launching Richard Branson's book
13:51:17 [PhilA]
q?
13:51:43 [PhilA]
Ros: from a user point of view, there has tpo be a really big driver to sign up for another SN, setting up a new account
13:51:57 [hhalpin]
thinking of ning
13:52:05 [mischat]
agreed hhalpin
13:52:07 [PhilA]
.. we'll see them set up, say FB nad then go to Twitter, but there needs to be a stroing interest to get them to move
13:52:13 [hhalpin]
q+
13:52:16 [hhalpin]
ack hhalpin
13:52:20 [PhilA]
ack hh
13:52:39 [Zakim]
-danbri
13:52:40 [PhilA]
harry: Ojne thing we're interested in is standardisation - making it easier for everyone
13:52:58 [danbri]
doh, skype-out account ran dry...
13:53:14 [PhilA]
.. all the things I've been invited to are based on Ning and there are otehr specialist sites - do you think some sort of distributed SN standard would help or hurt businesses?
13:53:44 [danbri]
re publisher industry use of social nets, relatedly i heard that many Myspace API efforts eg http://search.cpan.org/dist/WWW-Myspace/lib/WWW/Myspace.pm are driven by needs of music publicists
13:53:51 [PhilA]
Ros: The publis that we're trying to reach are quite sophisticted. If it's not as good as facebook then it's not any good. It must do at least that much.
13:54:26 [PhilA]
What we want is a mix of personal pages and advertising - that's the ideal - for us
13:54:37 [mischat]
q+
13:54:40 [hhalpin]
W3C Widgets comes to mind...
13:54:48 [hhalpin]
ack mischat
13:54:50 [mischat]
zakim, unmute me
13:54:50 [Zakim]
mischat was not muted, mischat
13:54:52 [PhilA]
.. we have to make a differnet version of our widget for different SNs
13:54:53 [hhalpin]
And of course OpenSocial
13:55:06 [PhilA]
ack: Mischa
13:55:13 [PhilA]
ack Mischat
13:55:45 [PhilA]
mischa: I saw habitat jumping on the #iranelections tag on twitter to get people to go to their shops. Any otehr examples of other people doing it wrong?
13:56:12 [PhilA]
Ros: They had a lot of bad PR. but the dust has settled. It did them damage but it's gone and long term it's not really an issue
13:56:29 [PhilA]
.. Moonfruit were in the press a lot. twitter banned #moonfruit eventually
13:56:50 [danbri]
re w3c widgets -meet- social networks, see http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/
13:57:11 [PhilA]
They'r a white label website provider. Just include #moonfruit in your tweet and get a free xyz - and Twitter jumped in editorially for the first time. Big discussion./
13:57:15 [bblfish]
+q
13:57:17 [mischat]
zakim, mute me
13:57:17 [Zakim]
mischat should now be muted
13:57:24 [hhalpin]
ack bblfish
13:57:26 [tinkster]
http://mashable.com/2009/07/01/moonfruit-macbook/
13:57:26 [PhilA]
ack bblfish
13:57:38 [mischat]
agreed bblfish !
13:57:43 [PhilA]
bblfish: so that raises the question of ownership?
13:57:47 [Zakim]
-cperey
13:58:09 [PhilA]
.. there's an editor that can ban people from the network - in a distributed system everyone wons their own stuff. Would that be seen as valuable
13:58:33 [hhalpin]
(yes, this returns to the licensing issues)
13:58:40 [PhilA]
Ros: yes. Look at the T&Cs - Ning owns copyright on anythign you post - so we can't post any of our book content because actually we own that, not them!
13:58:41 [mischat]
good point
13:58:58 [hhalpin]
it would be interesting not just to look at privacy policies but content ownership
13:59:09 [mischat]
agreed hhalpin
13:59:13 [hhalpin]
thanks ross!
13:59:18 [Zakim]
- +0207840aaff
14:00:01 [hhalpin]
ACTION: PhilA to write summary of Ros's talk
14:00:01 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - PhilA
14:00:04 [PhilA]
rrsagent, make logs public
14:00:17 [hhalpin]
ACTION: Phil_Archer to write summary of Ros's talk
14:00:17 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Phil_Archer
14:00:24 [hhalpin]
ACTION: Archer to write summary of Ros's talk
14:00:24 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-91 - Write summary of Ros's talk [on Phil Archer - due 2009-09-30].
14:00:31 [melvster]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/InvitedGuestSummaries
14:00:34 [hhalpin]
Adjourn Meeting.
14:00:45 [bblfish]
we should do a podcast of these meetings ;-)
14:00:47 [PhilA]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:00:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/09/23-swxg-minutes.html PhilA
14:00:50 [mischat]
cool :)
14:00:55 [Zakim]
-tinkster
14:01:00 [Zakim]
-oshani
14:01:01 [hhalpin]
We'll moving rapidly towards XMPP, Google Wave and the like next meeting.
14:01:04 [AlexPassant]
+1 :)
14:01:05 [Zakim]
-DKA
14:01:06 [bblfish]
ok bye
14:01:13 [tinkster]
bblfish, nobody would want to listen to that.
14:01:14 [karl]
thanks bye bye
14:01:18 [Zakim]
-karl
14:01:26 [hhalpin]
Different strokes for different folks.
14:01:26 [Zakim]
- +46.1.08.01.aaee
14:01:29 [mischat]
ok bye all
14:01:33 [melvster]
bye
14:01:34 [hhalpin]
Take care!
14:01:34 [Zakim]
-mischat
14:01:35 [Adam]
bye
14:01:35 [tinkster]
ten minutes of "where's that buzzing coming from?"
14:01:35 [Zakim]
-AlexPassant
14:01:35 [bblfish]
(people listen to more boring stuff on the radio)
14:01:35 [Zakim]
-Phil_Archer
14:01:36 [AlexPassant]
bye
14:01:39 [Zakim]
-Adam
14:01:41 [pchampin]
bye
14:01:41 [hajons]
bye
14:01:43 [Zakim]
-MacTed
14:01:45 [Zakim]
-??P21
14:01:47 [Zakim]
-melvster
14:01:49 [PhilA]
PhilA has left #swxg
14:02:02 [Zakim]
-bblfish
14:02:29 [oshani]
oshani has joined #swxg
14:02:46 [pchampin]
pchampin has left #swxg
14:03:10 [Zakim]
-mauro.a
14:05:31 [Zakim]
-pchampin
14:06:39 [Zakim]
-mauro
14:06:40 [Zakim]
INC_SWXG()9:00AM has ended
14:06:42 [Zakim]
Attendees were pchampin, +1.617.800.aaaa, +1.314.683.aabb, mauro, Phil_Archer, bblfish, cperey, +1.774.811.aacc, DKA, AlexPassant, mischat, melvster, karl, +46.1.08.01.aaee, Adam,
14:06:44 [Zakim]
... danbri, MacTed, oshani, tinkster, +0207840aaff
14:16:25 [melvster]
melvster has left #swxg
15:27:05 [bblfish]
bblfish has joined #swxg
16:48:51 [mischat]
mischat has joined #swxg
16:59:48 [mischat]
is anyone else going to DKA's mobile web london hack thing this weekend?
17:08:53 [FabGandon]
FabGandon has left #swxg
17:11:55 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
17:35:13 [oshani]
oshani has joined #swxg
18:10:20 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
18:16:23 [oshani]
oshani has joined #swxg
18:25:35 [Adam]
Adam has left #swxg
19:12:46 [oshani]
oshani has joined #swxg
20:04:19 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
20:36:40 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
20:36:50 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
21:06:21 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
21:24:39 [mischat]
mischat has joined #swxg
21:24:49 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
21:24:55 [mischat]
mischat has joined #swxg
22:10:31 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
22:10:49 [mischat]
mischat has joined #swxg
22:26:27 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
22:26:31 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
23:08:35 [MacTed]
MacTed has joined #swxg
23:13:47 [mischat]
mischat has joined #swxg
23:13:54 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
23:20:02 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg
23:49:05 [mischat_]
mischat_ has joined #swxg