IRC log of mw4d on 2009-08-03

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:01:02 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
12:01:03 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/08/03-mw4d-irc
12:01:12 [steph]
zakim, this will be mw4d
12:01:12 [Zakim]
ok, steph, I see UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM already started
12:01:21 [steph]
zakim, code ?
12:01:21 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
12:01:45 [Zakim]
+ +49.238.aabb
12:01:54 [steph]
zakim, who is here ?
12:01:54 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +41.22.800.aaaa, +49.238.aabb
12:01:55 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, Zakim, steph, Raphael, Yoshiko
12:02:12 [steph]
zakim, aaaa is Yoshiko
12:02:12 [Zakim]
+Yoshiko; got it
12:02:30 [steph]
zakim, aabb is me
12:02:30 [Zakim]
+steph; got it
12:02:51 [steph]
Meeting: MW4D bi-monthly meeting
12:02:59 [Zakim]
+ +41.22.730.aacc
12:03:34 [Zakim]
+ +1.412.9.aadd
12:03:35 [Arun]
Arun has joined #mw4d
12:03:51 [Zakim]
+ +358.505.58aaee
12:03:53 [steph]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009Jul/0021.html
12:04:03 [steph]
zakim, aaee is Lauri
12:04:03 [Zakim]
+Lauri; got it
12:04:09 [miraS]
miraS has joined #mw4d
12:04:12 [steph]
zakim, aacc is Arun
12:04:12 [Zakim]
+Arun; got it
12:04:23 [steph]
zakim, who is here ?
12:04:23 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Yoshiko, steph, Arun, +1.412.9.aadd, Lauri
12:04:24 [Zakim]
On IRC I see miraS, Arun, RRSAgent, Zakim, steph, Raphael, Yoshiko
12:04:32 [steph]
zakim, aadd is Raphael
12:04:32 [Zakim]
+Raphael; got it
12:04:33 [miraS]
zakim, miraS is Mira
12:04:34 [Zakim]
sorry, miraS, I do not recognize a party named 'miraS'
12:05:26 [steph]
Topic: presentation of new participants
12:05:55 [steph]
yoshiko: i'm part of ICV and ISF (engineer without bordier)
12:06:00 [Raphael]
Welcome Yoshiko
12:06:10 [Zakim]
+??P5
12:06:15 [Raphael]
http://www.icvolunteers.org/ ?
12:06:36 [steph]
zakim, ??P5 is Mira
12:06:36 [Zakim]
+Mira; got it
12:07:07 [Raphael]
Steph, I can contibute to scribing
12:07:14 [steph]
thks
12:07:54 [Raphael]
Steph: Judy Brewer to discuss accessibility
12:07:55 [Raphael]
today
12:08:13 [Raphael]
she has advices for us
12:08:36 [steph]
Topic: approval of last meeting minutes
12:08:45 [Raphael]
OK with me
12:08:46 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2009/07/06-mw4d-minutes.html
12:08:52 [steph]
approved
12:09:03 [steph]
review of action items
12:09:07 [steph]
topic: review of action items
12:09:31 [steph]
Ken to link with people at georgia tech and present what we are
12:09:31 [steph]
doing and see if they are interested to join
12:09:38 [steph]
done
12:09:46 [steph]
action: steph to contact mike best
12:10:02 [steph]
Raphael to develop the concept of context/scorecardand propose
12:10:02 [steph]
a visual representation of the recommandation
12:10:21 [steph]
Done
12:10:40 [steph]
raphael: more work done in hte comment, but this part is done
12:10:47 [steph]
s/done/need done/
12:10:59 [steph]
more work on hte roadmap
12:11:12 [steph]
next step: let's hear about accessibility for
12:11:27 [steph]
s/for/before/
12:12:15 [steph]
Stephane to use color to show the state of actions
12:12:16 [steph]
done
12:12:26 [steph]
Stephane to add the meaning of colors in the discussion page
12:12:27 [steph]
done
12:12:38 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2-discussion
12:12:53 [steph]
Stephane to summarize discussion around technology in the
12:12:53 [steph]
discussion page
12:13:13 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2-discussion#technologie
12:13:22 [steph]
done
12:13:34 [steph]
Betty to look into maputo workshop report and see the matching
12:13:34 [steph]
with existing challenges in the roadmap
12:13:41 [steph]
ongoing
12:14:02 [steph]
Topic: Roadmap
12:14:08 [Raphael]
Betty could not make it today (for the conference)
12:15:06 [Raphael]
http://www.digitalworldforum.eu/
12:15:12 [steph]
http://www.digitalworldforum.eu/events/68-dwf-final-closing-event-30-sept-2009
12:15:33 [Judy]
Judy has joined #mw4d
12:16:01 [Judy]
hi steph, shall i join now?
12:16:06 [steph]
hi Judy
12:16:08 [steph]
yes please
12:16:17 [Judy]
calling...
12:16:37 [Zakim]
+Judy
12:19:44 [steph]
q+
12:20:20 [Yoshiko]
3q+
12:20:36 [Lauri]
Lauri has joined #mw4d
12:21:45 [Lauri]
Lauri managed to log into IRC using the generator in non-electricity remote island in Finland.
12:22:34 [steph]
:)
12:22:52 [Raphael]
Judy: Web accessibility becomes a government-level issue, with (UN driven) policies being adopted
12:24:32 [Yoshiko]
3may i make an intervention?
12:25:06 [Lauri]
In Finland the Governement has approved a program to boost the creation of High Speed Internet Access to everyone in Finland.
12:27:33 [Raphael]
Yoshiko: Accessibility is important to keep. We did touch the subject with literacy, pictograms, etc.
12:28:13 [Raphael]
q+
12:29:02 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2
12:29:18 [Judy]
q+
12:29:22 [steph]
ack me
12:29:38 [steph]
raphael: touch it the issue of trad. accessibility issue might be misleading
12:30:07 [steph]
it should be mentionned as issues we canot deep into deeply
12:30:19 [steph]
s/deep/dig/
12:31:49 [steph]
judy: one thing, no point ot go into technical depht
12:31:52 [steph]
we are doing that
12:32:08 [steph]
opportunity to reference body of work mature
12:32:22 [steph]
terminology is important
12:32:29 [steph]
contribute to musunderstanding
12:32:38 [steph]
broader use of access
12:32:59 [steph]
we are encouraging to use the broad sense
12:33:35 [steph]
accessbility of the web for people with disabilities
12:33:52 [steph]
coupling accessibility and disabilities
12:34:12 [steph]
how to mention briefly and appropriately
12:34:15 [steph]
?
12:34:54 [steph]
essential to mention something is essential, important not to be overlook
12:35:19 [steph]
important doc joint between wai and mai
12:35:25 [steph]
s/mai/mwi/
12:36:00 [steph]
statistics on disability
12:36:16 [steph]
not less and probably higher in developing countries
12:36:37 [Arun]
q+
12:37:17 [Judy]
q+
12:37:30 [Judy]
q-
12:37:31 [Yoshiko]
3q+
12:37:35 [Judy]
q+
12:37:37 [Raphael]
q-
12:37:54 [Judy]
q+ Yoshiko
12:37:57 [Lauri]
disabilities are also problem in developed countries. Governement in Finland has programs how to support blind and hearing probem people. Those are extended also to Internet.
12:38:09 [Raphael]
in any way, the need for accessibility definition is great, I agree with Judy
12:38:31 [Arun]
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs282/en/
12:38:54 [Arun]
About 87% of the world's visually impaired live in developing countries.
12:40:18 [Raphael]
Judy, Arun: often more people with disabilities in developing economies, making accessibility issue more important
12:40:36 [Arun]
q-
12:40:38 [steph]
q?
12:40:54 [Arun]
I recall we agreed to put challenges w.r.t. disabilities in the doc
12:41:32 [Lauri]
An other problem is to support those people who don't understand local language (like refugees). There is a program to provide translator services to them but limited to when refugee has to communicate with governement. Not for their private life.
12:42:51 [Raphael]
Judy: putting the accessibility issue under "6.1 Access Challenges" seems a good idea
12:46:19 [steph]
yoshiko: issue with monopoly
12:46:26 [steph]
and costs
12:46:36 [steph]
not our major competence
12:46:54 [steph]
important to mention the social constraints where the technology
12:46:58 [steph]
taks lace
12:47:05 [Lauri]
One brilliant application is, when a person using sign-language (speeking using only hands) have traslation service by video mobile phone call to "translator".
12:47:10 [steph]
s/taks/takes/
12:48:10 [Raphael]
Judy, would you share useful (technically accessible) links on the accessibility issue with us?
12:48:43 [Judy]
Raphael yes I would be happy to send some links for background.
12:48:50 [Raphael]
thanks a lot
12:48:54 [Raphael]
+1
12:49:16 [Yoshiko]
3judy, could we work together?
12:49:32 [Arun]
Arun has joined #mw4d
12:49:35 [miraS]
sure, i agree too.
12:49:39 [Arun]
I agree
12:49:44 [steph]
REsolution: accessibility to be added in 6.1 with definition mention of existing work, and assistive tech
12:49:51 [Raphael]
I agree
12:50:08 [Raphael]
bye Judy
12:50:09 [Zakim]
-Judy
12:50:13 [Judy]
Judy has left #mw4d
12:51:03 [steph]
action: stephane to update the roadmap and the issue 5 in the discussion doc about accessibility
12:52:06 [Raphael]
steph: extra call next week?
12:52:11 [Raphael]
OK with me
12:52:14 [miraS]
yup
12:52:19 [miraS]
ok with me too
12:52:21 [Arun]
Fine with me too.
12:52:32 [Yoshiko]
3next week i'll be on holiday.
12:52:53 [Lauri]
OK next week cc for me
12:53:07 [miraS]
how should i submit the comments?
12:53:10 [Raphael]
q+
12:53:21 [steph]
public-mw4d@w3.org
12:53:46 [steph]
resolution: having a call august 10
12:55:29 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2-discussion#technologie
13:02:12 [Yoshiko]
3q+
13:03:42 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/Stories/
13:03:48 [Raphael]
dard at intracen.org
13:03:54 [Yoshiko]
3yoshiko.kurisaki@icvolunteers.org
13:04:21 [steph]
public-mw4d@w3.org
13:04:28 [Zakim]
-Mira
13:04:29 [Zakim]
-Raphael
13:04:29 [Raphael]
bye
13:04:30 [Zakim]
-Yoshiko
13:04:30 [Arun]
bye
13:04:31 [Lauri]
Bye everybody
13:04:32 [Zakim]
-steph
13:04:33 [Zakim]
-Arun
13:04:48 [Lauri]
logout
13:04:50 [steph]
Present: Lauri, Arun, Raphael, Mira, Judy, Steph, Yoshiko
13:05:03 [steph]
rrsagent, mae minutes
13:05:03 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'mae minutes', steph. Try /msg RRSAgent help
13:05:05 [miraS]
-Mira
13:05:06 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
13:05:06 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/08/03-mw4d-minutes.html steph
13:05:20 [Yoshiko]
3talk to you in two weeks time!
13:05:34 [Zakim]
-Lauri
13:05:35 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has ended
13:05:36 [Zakim]
Attendees were +41.22.800.aaaa, +49.238.aabb, Yoshiko, steph, +41.22.730.aacc, +1.412.9.aadd, +358.505.58aaee, Lauri, Arun, Raphael, Mira, Judy
14:45:40 [steph]
rrsagent, make log public
14:45:46 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
14:45:46 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/08/03-mw4d-minutes.html steph
15:04:57 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #mw4d