IRC log of webapps on 2009-07-22

Timestamps are in UTC.

21:01:10 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webapps
21:01:10 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-webapps-irc
21:01:12 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
21:01:12 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webapps
21:01:14 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be WAPP
21:01:14 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
21:01:15 [trackbot]
Meeting: Web Applications Working Group Teleconference
21:01:15 [trackbot]
Date: 22 July 2009
21:01:17 [shepazu]
Zakim, call shepazu
21:01:17 [Zakim]
sorry, shepazu, I don't know what conference this is
21:01:29 [shepazu]
zakim, this is DOM3
21:01:29 [Zakim]
ok, shepazu; that matches IA_WebApps(DOM3)5:00PM
21:01:35 [shepazu]
zakim, call shepazu
21:01:35 [Zakim]
ok, shepazu; the call is being made
21:01:36 [Zakim]
+Shepazu
21:01:37 [Zakim]
-??P1
21:01:56 [Zakim]
+??P1
21:02:05 [smaug]
Zakim, ??P1 is me
21:02:05 [Zakim]
+smaug; got it
21:02:47 [shepazu]
zakim, who's here?
21:02:47 [Zakim]
On the phone I see [Microsoft], Shepazu, smaug
21:02:48 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, MSjacob, shepazu, heycam, ilinsky, gsnedders, Marcos, krijnh, karl, tlr, Lachy, smaug, hendry, trackbot, Dashiva, gavin_, timelyx, Hixie, inimino, phenny
21:03:01 [shepazu]
zakim, [Microsoft] is MSJacob
21:03:01 [Zakim]
+MSJacob; got it
21:05:38 [shepazu]
Zakim, pick a victim
21:05:38 [Zakim]
Not knowing who is chairing or who scribed recently, I propose smaug
21:05:51 [shepazu]
chair: shepazu
21:06:25 [shepazu]
scribenick: smaug
21:06:35 [shepazu]
scribe: Olli Pettay
21:07:41 [smaug]
shepazu: we are all awesome
21:08:10 [shepazu]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2009JulSep/0039.html
21:09:08 [smaug]
MSjacob: smaug: the new draft looks reasonable
21:10:28 [dand]
dand has joined #webapps
21:10:43 [dand]
howdy
21:10:54 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html
21:11:16 [shepazu]
Zakim, code?
21:11:16 [Zakim]
the conference code is 3663 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), shepazu
21:11:22 [shepazu]
there you go, dand
21:12:13 [dand]
cheers
21:12:30 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
21:12:33 [smaug]
shepazu: some of the events needs the be defined better, as per the comments sent to the mailing list
21:12:49 [shepazu]
ZAKIM, [IPcaller] IS dand
21:12:49 [Zakim]
+dand; got it
21:13:51 [MikeSmith]
MikeSmith has joined #webapps
21:14:32 [smaug]
shepazu: I'll add some more diagrams, for example about mouse events handling
21:14:34 [dand]
um, can't hear you all of a sudden
21:15:46 [Zakim]
-dand
21:16:15 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
21:16:18 [dand]
yeah, just done
21:16:31 [shepazu]
Zakim, [IPcaller] is dand
21:16:31 [Zakim]
+dand; got it
21:17:36 [smaug]
smaug: I haven't commented about mouseenter/leave
21:17:45 [smaug]
shepazu: they just went in
21:18:19 [smaug]
shepazu: need to sort out when mouseenter/leave actually happen
21:19:41 [smaug]
shepazu: DOMFocusIn/Out are deprecated
21:20:17 [shepazu]
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/events/index.html
21:22:10 [smaug]
shepazu: MSjacob to test DOMFocusIn/out vs focus/blur
21:22:47 [shepazu]
Action: MSjacob to test DOMFocusIn/out vs focus/blur
21:22:47 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - MSjacob
21:22:49 [shepazu]
Action: Travis to test DOMFocusIn/out vs focus/blur
21:22:49 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-386 - Test DOMFocusIn/out vs focus/blur [on Travis Leithead - due 2009-07-29].
21:23:23 [smaug]
MSjacob: there is no such thing like beforeblur/beforefocus. Should there be such thing?
21:25:20 [smaug]
IE has focusin which happens before focus changes
21:27:07 [smaug]
MSjacob: though, IE hasn't capture phase atm
21:28:34 [smaug]
ISSUE: resolve case of focusin in IE
21:28:34 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-92 - Resolve case of focusin in IE ; please complete additional details at http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/track/issues/92/edit .
21:29:34 [smaug]
Zakim, who is talking
21:29:34 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is talking', smaug
21:30:32 [smaug]
MSjacob: there is need for relatedTarget to know where the focus is moving from
21:35:14 [smaug]
ACTION: shepazu to add relatedTarget to UIEvent or to some new interface (for focus handling events)
21:35:14 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-387 - Add relatedTarget to UIEvent or to some new interface (for focus handling events) [on Doug Schepers - due 2009-07-29].
21:36:12 [smaug]
ACTION: smaug to test focus handling in gecko
21:36:13 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-388 - Test focus handling in gecko [on Olli Pettay - due 2009-07-29].
21:36:47 [smaug]
Topic: DOMActivate vs. Click
21:38:56 [smaug]
shepazu: it seems to me that only firefox has implemented DOMActivate
21:39:40 [smaug]
shepazu: where else is DOMActivate used
21:40:39 [smaug]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xforms-20071029/#evt-activate
21:40:58 [smaug]
shepazu: svg might mention DOMActivate too
21:41:43 [smaug]
shepazu: what implementations use it and who relies on it and what are the use cases
21:42:02 [smaug]
shepazu: what content relies upon it
21:43:21 [smaug]
shepazu: I'm also concerned about a11y
21:44:47 [smaug]
shepazu: I'd like to invite comments about DOMActivate
21:45:27 [smaug]
shepazu: click is also pretty abstract
21:46:02 [smaug]
shepazu: I'll contact the WAI folks
21:48:18 [chaals]
chaals has joined #webapps
21:49:45 [smaug]
yes
21:50:16 [chaals]
zakim, code?
21:50:16 [Zakim]
the conference code is 3663 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), chaals
21:50:33 [smaug]
Topic: composition events
21:51:03 [Zakim]
+??P3
21:51:09 [chaals]
zakim, ??p3 is me
21:51:09 [Zakim]
+chaals; got it
21:51:13 [shepazu]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2009JulSep/att-0010/compositionevent.txt
21:52:23 [smaug]
chaals: I agree, DOMFocusIn/Out/Activate could be deprecated
21:55:31 [MSJacob]
MSJacob has joined #webapps
21:55:43 [MSJacob]
Dan's composition events mail: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2009JulSep/0010.html
21:57:27 [smaug]
shepazu: I didn't know whether to add/use composition event or text events
21:59:15 [smaug]
do we need the cursor position data?
22:02:16 [smaug]
shepazu: maybe a property .compositionTarget to the event?
22:05:43 [smaug]
shepazu: what kind of range could we add to the event?
22:11:45 [smaug]
dand: can say that composionstart is fired before composion really starts
22:12:34 [smaug]
dand: so that cursor/focus can be moved to another place
22:16:28 [smaug]
shepazu: for now we develop this in D3E, but if it gets really complicated, may need to move elsewhere
22:17:14 [anne2]
anne2 has joined #webapps
22:17:34 [shepazu]
Action: Dand to write up details of compositions selection and sequence
22:17:34 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Dand
22:18:09 [dand]
http://www.danilatos.com/event-test/ime-test.html
22:24:41 [smaug]
shepazu: should this be like defined now, or should a property be added to text event?
22:25:28 [Zakim]
-chaals
22:26:18 [smaug]
shepazu: I've been thinking to add a new property to textEvent "origin"
22:26:34 [smaug]
shepazu: whether the text is from copy-paste/dnd/etc..
22:26:42 [smaug]
shepazu: would it be useful?
22:26:56 [smaug]
dand: yes, sounds useful
22:28:46 [smaug]
we need a list of most common possible values for the "origin"
22:31:35 [anne2]
(and another name, origin is too confusing with the scheme/hostname/port tuple used for security purposes)
22:31:56 [shepazu]
agreed, anne2
22:32:59 [shepazu]
unknown, paste, IME, voice, handwriting, multimodal?
22:42:31 [smaug]
smaug: I'll test key+click event handling
22:44:35 [Zakim]
-MSJacob
22:44:40 [Zakim]
-smaug
22:44:43 [shepazu]
trackbot, stop telcon
22:44:43 [trackbot]
Sorry, shepazu, I don't understand 'trackbot, stop telcon'. Please refer to http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc for help
22:44:45 [Zakim]
-Shepazu
22:44:50 [shepazu]
trackbot, end telcon
22:44:50 [trackbot]
Zakim, list attendees
22:44:50 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been Shepazu, smaug, MSJacob, dand, chaals
22:44:51 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, please draft minutes
22:44:51 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-webapps-minutes.html trackbot
22:44:52 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, bye
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
I see 5 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-webapps-actions.rdf :
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: MSjacob to test DOMFocusIn/out vs focus/blur [1]
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-webapps-irc#T21-22-47
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Travis to test DOMFocusIn/out vs focus/blur [2]
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-webapps-irc#T21-22-49
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: shepazu to add relatedTarget to UIEvent or to some new interface (for focus handling events) [3]
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-webapps-irc#T21-35-14
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: smaug to test focus handling in gecko [4]
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-webapps-irc#T21-36-12
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Dand to write up details of compositions selection and sequence [5]
22:44:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-webapps-irc#T22-17-34
22:44:54 [Zakim]
-dand
22:44:56 [Zakim]
IA_WebApps(DOM3)5:00PM has ended
22:44:57 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shepazu, smaug, MSJacob, dand, chaals