IRC log of mw4d on 2009-06-29

Timestamps are in UTC.

11:57:33 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
11:57:33 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/06/29-mw4d-irc
11:57:42 [stef]
MEETING: MW4D IG bi-monthly call
11:58:07 [stef]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009Jun/0037.html
11:58:12 [stef]
Present:stephane
12:01:44 [Arun]
Arun has joined #mw4d
12:02:27 [Zakim]
+ +1.412.9.aaaa
12:02:40 [stef]
zakim, aaaa is arun
12:02:40 [Zakim]
+arun; got it
12:02:51 [stef]
Present+Arun
12:03:42 [stef]
zakim, make log public
12:03:42 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'make log public', stef
12:03:49 [stef]
rrsagent, make log public
12:04:09 [Zakim]
+raphael
12:04:22 [stef]
Present+Raphael
12:04:47 [Zakim]
+betty
12:05:07 [stef]
Present+Betty
12:05:55 [stef]
Scribe: stephane
12:05:59 [Raphael]
Raphael has joined #mw4d
12:06:15 [stef]
Agenda:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009Jun/0037.html
12:06:28 [betty]
betty has joined #mw4d
12:06:48 [stef]
Topic: approval of last meeting minutes
12:06:55 [stef]
http://www.w3.org/2009/06/15-mw4d-minutes.html
12:06:55 [Raphael]
OK with me
12:07:01 [Arun]
fine with me
12:07:03 [stef]
approved
12:07:14 [stef]
Topic: review of action items
12:07:37 [stef]
Raphael to summarize how to deal with context in the discussion page
12:07:45 [Zakim]
+Lauri
12:07:55 [stef]
Present+Lauri
12:08:52 [stef]
[done]
12:08:55 [stef]
Steph to put an issue number in front of each issue
12:08:58 [stef]
[done]
12:09:05 [stef]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2-discussion
12:09:28 [stef]
Steph to write accessiblity aspect in the scope of the doc section
12:09:38 [stef]
[outgoing]
12:09:47 [stef]
Lauri to review tools msection of the wiki and complete it with
12:09:47 [stef]
.mobi tools
12:11:29 [Raphael]
I can also help on the wiki edition
12:11:47 [Raphael]
if needed
12:12:06 [stef]
[ongoing]
12:12:19 [stef]
Lauri to send a mail about Web-server in the mobile phone
12:13:22 [stef]
[ongoing]
12:13:36 [stef]
Topic:AoB
12:14:47 [stef]
stephane:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8106293.stm
12:16:33 [stef]
Arun: lots of project around mobile at ibm
12:17:33 [stef]
Raphael: a news on whiteafrican.com
12:17:52 [stef]
new suite of apps by grameen foundation
12:18:00 [stef]
from appslab in uganda
12:18:09 [stef]
very close to what we are doing in liberia
12:18:14 [stef]
google traders
12:18:39 [Raphael]
http://whiteafrican.com/2009/06/29/new-sms-services-in-uganda-from-grameen-google/
12:22:57 [stef]
Topic: roadmap
12:23:04 [stef]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2-discussion
12:24:32 [stef]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2-discussion#context
12:30:04 [stef]
http://www.connectivityscorecard.org/
12:38:28 [Arun]
It is useful but hard to build, I think
12:39:26 [stef]
stephane: very useful resource need a meaningful visual representation
12:40:05 [stef]
need further discussion
12:40:19 [Raphael]
http://twitter.com/ethnosproject
12:41:20 [stef]
ACTION: raphael to develop the concept and propose a visual representation of the recommandation
12:41:34 [stef]
ACTION: raphael to develop the concept of context/scorecardand propose a visual representation of the recommandation
12:41:40 [stef]
rrsagent, drop action 1
12:42:52 [Arun]
Sure
12:42:59 [Raphael]
Stef proposes to postpone discussion around issue 4
12:43:01 [Raphael]
OK
12:43:01 [betty]
OK.
12:43:16 [Raphael]
Arun?
12:43:20 [stef]
stephane: issue 4 postponed for more material in the roadmap before discussing the issue
12:43:58 [Raphael]
stef: proposes to use color to show open and closes issues
12:44:05 [Raphael]
I think it is a good idea
12:44:07 [Arun]
OK
12:44:15 [Raphael]
do you have colors in this wiki?
12:44:16 [betty]
Colour will be great.
12:44:17 [stef]
action: steph to use color to show the state of actions
12:44:52 [Lauri]
Lauri has joined #mw4d
12:44:54 [stef]
issue 6: wich technology to consider
12:45:04 [Raphael]
Welcome, Lauri
12:45:22 [stef]
steph: sms, mobile browsing, voice apps
12:45:37 [Lauri]
OK, Lauri managed to join now the IRC channel by Mobile
12:45:46 [stef]
native java apps
12:46:05 [Raphael]
shall we add J2ME?
12:46:16 [Raphael]
ok
12:46:47 [Raphael]
Stef: API to access social networks
12:46:53 [Raphael]
RSS readers
12:47:22 [Raphael]
+1
12:47:43 [Raphael]
q+
12:48:24 [stef]
ack raphael
12:48:35 [stef]
raphael: we should includes all sort of applications
12:48:46 [stef]
and explain the boundaries
12:49:11 [stef]
raphael: interested on all kind of apps
12:49:39 [stef]
all technologies should be considered
12:50:06 [Arun]
we can start with the complete set and as we go along we can prune out those which do not lead to useful solutions
12:50:19 [Raphael]
+1
12:51:20 [Raphael]
Stef: select the major now for now and start with these
12:51:39 [Raphael]
Stef: would geolocalization be the limit?
12:52:05 [Raphael]
Stef: potential use of the social networks
12:52:27 [Raphael]
This last item seems also very interesting and potentially powerful to me
12:52:39 [Arun]
with social networks are we not venturing into solution space
12:52:52 [Raphael]
yes, but in API, we are
12:53:14 [Lauri]
To me social networks are like application. Not technology
12:53:16 [betty]
How intensive do rural people use social networking?
12:53:17 [Raphael]
and API give access to people and maybe social solutions
12:53:49 [Raphael]
Not much yet, I suppose, but the potential seems huge
12:54:13 [Raphael]
TradeNet works currently on this
12:54:17 [betty]
Agree with Lauri. Social networking is part of applications.
12:54:26 [Raphael]
(Now called Esoko)
12:54:46 [Lauri]
Lauri has 3 Q's to ask before we close the call
12:55:09 [Arun]
I would consider discovering social networks from available data as technology rather than the entire social networking space - since it would have social aspects, business aspects etc.
12:55:29 [Raphael]
Lauri: what is the timetable for the document?
12:55:53 [Raphael]
Stef: version that is publishable by the end of August.
12:56:47 [Raphael]
Q: Do you have a sample, from another group, that may show us the possible output format? (what we are aiming)
12:57:21 [Raphael]
Lauri: will there be a press release. What "make available" means?
12:57:50 [Raphael]
Steph: yes a press release will be made via w3c.
12:59:03 [Raphael]
Lauri: what is the status of the w3c foundation?
13:00:13 [Raphael]
Steph: Staff has been hired last January. The foundation is now looking for funding. When secured, the WF is planning to work on things such as making web content accessible to illiterate people, etc.
13:01:40 [Raphael]
Steph: mw4d is one programme of the foundation. There is another one government transparency (to web users)
13:01:47 [Raphael]
and other topics
13:01:57 [Raphael]
Steph: any othe question ?
13:02:22 [Raphael]
Next call is next Monday (6 July)
13:02:30 [Raphael]
Fine with me, thanks.
13:02:36 [betty]
Thank you. Bye
13:02:40 [Zakim]
-Lauri
13:02:42 [Zakim]
-arun
13:02:46 [Zakim]
-raphael
13:02:48 [Zakim]
-steph
13:02:54 [Zakim]
-betty
13:02:56 [Zakim]
MWI_MW4D IG()8:00AM has ended
13:02:57 [Zakim]
Attendees were steph, +1.412.9.aaaa, arun, raphael, betty, Lauri
13:03:00 [stef]
action: stephane to summarize discussion around technology in the discsussion page
13:03:04 [stef]
rrsagent, make minutes
13:03:04 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/06/29-mw4d-minutes.html stef
15:02:45 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #mw4d
16:54:03 [steph]
steph has joined #mw4d