IRC log of mw4d on 2009-05-18

Timestamps are in UTC.

11:38:06 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
11:38:06 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/05/18-mw4d-irc
11:38:12 [steph]
zakim, this will be mw4d
11:38:12 [Zakim]
ok, steph; I see UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM scheduled to start in 22 minutes
11:38:27 [steph]
Meeting: MW4D IG bi-monthly meeting
11:38:58 [steph]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009May/0010.html
11:39:05 [steph]
make log public
11:39:11 [steph]
rrsagent, make log public
11:53:14 [steph]
zakim, code ?
11:53:14 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
11:53:44 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has now started
11:53:52 [Zakim]
+steph
11:56:24 [Zakim]
+ +091114129aaaa
11:56:27 [Zakim]
-steph
11:56:29 [Zakim]
+steph
11:56:50 [steph]
zakim, aaaa is Arun
11:56:50 [Zakim]
+Arun; got it
11:57:27 [Arun]
Arun has joined #mw4d
11:57:55 [Raphael]
Raphael has joined #mw4d
11:59:23 [BettyPurwandari]
BettyPurwandari has joined #mw4d
12:00:38 [Zakim]
+krp
12:00:52 [steph]
zakim, krp is Betty
12:00:52 [Zakim]
+Betty; got it
12:01:27 [Zakim]
+ +41.22.730.aabb
12:01:36 [steph]
zakim, aabb is Raphael
12:01:36 [Zakim]
+Raphael; got it
12:02:00 [steph]
Present: Arun, Ralph, Raphael, Betty
12:04:55 [steph]
Topic: approval of last meeting minutes
12:05:02 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2009/05/11-mw4d-minutes.html
12:05:05 [steph]
scribe: steph
12:05:12 [steph]
approved
12:05:16 [Zakim]
+Lauri
12:05:38 [steph]
Topic: Action Items
12:05:45 [steph]
steph to come with a document structure and summary of each section
12:05:56 [steph]
done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009May/0009.html
12:06:58 [steph]
ACTION: steph to send maputo's executive summary to mw4d
12:07:24 [Raphael]
q+
12:07:53 [steph]
Raphael: e-agriculture forum, anybody have info about it ?
12:10:27 [Raphael]
http://www.e-agriculture.org/
12:12:01 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/MW4D_WS/papers/dearden.pdf
12:13:26 [steph]
ACTION: steph to put maputo executive summary discussion on the agenda for next mw4d meeting
12:13:33 [steph]
Topic: Roadmap
12:13:45 [steph]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009May/0009.html
12:15:27 [Raphael]
I agree on "audience"
12:15:35 [Arun]
q+
12:16:07 [Raphael]
q-
12:16:12 [steph]
ack Arun
12:16:31 [steph]
arun: 2 comments
12:17:13 [steph]
information access VS production of content
12:17:20 [steph]
what is the exact use we want ?
12:18:04 [BettyPurwandari]
Audience looks OK
12:19:51 [Raphael]
q+
12:20:43 [steph]
raphael: roadmpa: technical document, end-user might not be able to read such document
12:20:57 [Arun]
I agree with Raphael
12:21:00 [Lauri]
Lauri has joined #mw4d
12:21:04 [steph]
users of the roadmap, minimal level of technical level
12:21:10 [Arun]
that the document would be consumed by technical people
12:21:42 [Lauri]
at last Lauri managed to enter IRC from his new home
12:22:25 [steph]
audience: add a piece that mention that the targeted end-user have to have a minimal technical level
12:22:25 [Arun]
q+
12:22:35 [Raphael]
q-
12:22:38 [steph]
and it is not anybody in the street
12:23:44 [Raphael]
Lauri, you might be able to access IRC directly from your mobile phone!
12:24:07 [steph]
arun: quesiton not only related to the audience
12:24:19 [Arun]
q-
12:25:38 [Raphael]
Content provider is diff. from Information provider??
12:25:46 [Lauri]
Raphael: Yes, but in home I have notebook with big screen so I use it now.
12:29:00 [Raphael]
What do you mean "application agnostic?
12:29:44 [Arun]
Basically, we should probably identify the effects of Application Domain on technologies/solutions (Finance Sector Vs Agriculture) as a challenge
12:30:03 [Raphael]
OK
12:30:08 [Raphael]
thanks
12:30:19 [Raphael]
Then, I agree with Steph
12:30:42 [Raphael]
that we should not enter into application domain specifics at this step
12:31:04 [Raphael]
We can still go into it later
12:31:16 [Arun]
Fine with me
12:31:22 [Lauri]
I have to excuse me as I was last week on vacation (moving to new house) so I have not looked yet the new text in Wiki. I will read it later and then I can comment
12:31:39 [steph]
resolution: the document should mention that there are specific challenges that are applications specific
12:31:50 [steph]
but this document is application agnostique
12:32:05 [steph]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009May/0009.html
12:33:58 [Raphael]
P2P info sharing, then
12:34:05 [Raphael]
user to user
12:34:12 [Raphael]
via the mobile app.
12:34:21 [Raphael]
vs info to user
12:35:00 [Arun]
Kind of similar to Mashups / Web 2.0 apps for end users to create apps of their own easily
12:35:10 [Raphael]
OK
12:35:58 [steph]
note: to be added to the document as a note.
12:36:50 [BettyPurwandari]
q+
12:36:55 [Raphael]
q+
12:38:24 [Arun]
q+
12:38:25 [steph]
ack betty
12:40:21 [Arun]
Affordability is also a real issue. Low incomes of our target end users put a constraint on what kind of devices and solutions can they make use of. Even network bandwidth availability is tied to this since the infrastructure might be there but may not be affordable by our end users.
12:40:59 [BettyPurwandari]
I agree with Steph, available trainings are pars of content provider challange.
12:43:39 [Arun]
For instance, people might be able to afford smart phones from the gray market (or second hand market) but may not have enough money to pay for data connection usage. Remember a bulk of these are prepaid customers.
12:43:47 [Lauri]
q+
12:43:54 [steph]
ack raphael
12:44:11 [Arun]
q-
12:44:55 [BettyPurwandari]
q+
12:45:42 [steph]
ack ack lauri
12:45:44 [Raphael]
Mobile applications can and should integrate a user-feedback function (as these users are often isolated)
12:45:51 [steph]
ack lauri
12:48:19 [steph]
action: lauri to review tools msection of the wiki and complete it with .mobi tools
12:48:23 [BettyPurwandari]
Acces challenge: availability of mobile network coverage (3G, previous tech?). Another challenge about regulation that can impact tariff & affordability (referring to Arun's comment).
12:50:12 [BettyPurwandari]
ITU
12:50:29 [Lauri]
q+
12:50:50 [BettyPurwandari]
http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/publications/idi/2009/material/IDI2009_w5.pdf
12:56:36 [Raphael]
Steph, when do you put this new draft on the wiki?
12:56:42 [Raphael]
OK for June 8
12:56:44 [BettyPurwandari]
OK. Thank you very much.
12:56:49 [Arun]
Fine with me
12:57:00 [steph]
Topic: next meeting
12:57:04 [steph]
june 8 agreed
12:57:13 [Raphael]
Thank you!
12:57:23 [BettyPurwandari]
Bye. C U later.
12:57:23 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
12:57:23 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/05/18-mw4d-minutes.html steph
12:57:26 [Zakim]
-Lauri
12:57:28 [Zakim]
-steph
12:57:31 [Zakim]
-Betty
12:57:35 [Zakim]
-Raphael
13:35:00 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, Arun, in UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM
13:35:01 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has ended
13:35:04 [Zakim]
Attendees were steph, +091114129aaaa, Arun, Betty, +41.22.730.aabb, Raphael, Lauri
14:58:41 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #mw4d