IRC log of svg on 2009-05-13

Timestamps are in UTC.

06:34:48 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #svg
06:34:48 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-irc
06:34:49 [heycam]
ok brb
06:34:50 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
06:34:50 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #svg
06:34:52 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be GA_SVGWG
06:34:52 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see GA_SVGWG()2:30AM already started
06:34:53 [trackbot]
Meeting: SVG Working Group Teleconference
06:34:53 [trackbot]
Date: 13 May 2009
06:35:26 [Zakim]
+??P1
06:35:34 [ed]
Zakim, ??P1 is me
06:35:34 [Zakim]
+ed; got it
06:35:41 [ed]
Zakim, who's here?
06:35:41 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P0, ed
06:35:42 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, jwatt, ed, karl, ed_work, anthony, trackbot
06:36:53 [jwatt]
Zakim, ??P0 is me
06:36:53 [Zakim]
+jwatt; got it
06:38:07 [Zakim]
+??P2
06:38:19 [anthony]
Zakim, ??P2 is me
06:38:19 [Zakim]
+anthony; got it
06:39:01 [heycam]
heycam has joined #svg
06:39:46 [Zakim]
+??P3
06:39:49 [heycam]
Zakim, ??P3 is me
06:39:49 [Zakim]
+heycam; got it
06:40:13 [heycam]
Scribe: Cameron
06:40:14 [ed]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2009AprJun/0124.html
06:40:16 [heycam]
ScribeNick: heycam
06:40:18 [heycam]
Chair: Erik
06:40:42 [heycam]
Topic: SVG Open F2F
06:40:53 [heycam]
ED: i got a question from ruud about when the wg was meeting
06:40:58 [heycam]
... maybe we should discuss dates
06:41:46 [heycam]
CM: ruud said doug said probably after svg open
06:41:59 [heycam]
AG: it's useful to have it before, since then we can get things done before the conference
06:42:12 [heycam]
ED: i'd agree that it'd be better to have it before
06:42:21 [heycam]
... svg open is oct 2-4
06:42:33 [heycam]
... friday-sunday
06:42:46 [heycam]
... having it the week before then, monday-thursday, would be fine with me
06:43:03 [heycam]
... i.e. from sep 28
06:43:13 [heycam]
AG: what about sat-wed, to have a break in between?
06:43:15 [heycam]
ED: yes that'd work
06:43:27 [heycam]
CM: i'd rather a break in between too
06:44:16 [heycam]
ED: i'm not sure if there are any conflicting meetings
06:44:47 [heycam]
... be good to ask chris/doug to see if they have any problems with having the meeting before svg open
06:44:51 [heycam]
... if we feel that's the best plan
06:45:19 [heycam]
... also i'm wondering if we'll meet at the TPAC
06:45:44 [heycam]
... we did respond to the polls before saying that we wouldn't meet, and we'd prefer early in the following year
06:45:52 [heycam]
... just meeting a few of the groups
06:46:08 [heycam]
... since svg open and the TPAC meeting are relatively close is it worth travelling?
06:46:15 [heycam]
CM: what are the tpac dates?
06:47:03 [heycam]
ED: november
06:47:28 [heycam]
2-6 november
06:47:33 [heycam]
s/2/... 2/
06:47:40 [heycam]
... and svg open is 2-4 october
06:47:46 [heycam]
... so it's pretty close
06:48:39 [heycam]
AG: any reason why svg open was pushed back?
06:48:47 [heycam]
ED: think some people were saying august wasn't a good time for academics
06:49:32 [heycam]
CM: so we're meeting just 3 times this year? depends on when the possible mini-tpac would be i guess.
06:50:10 [heycam]
CM: difficult to travel again so soon
06:50:12 [heycam]
ED: me too
06:50:34 [heycam]
CM: be interesting to know what the other mini-meeting groups will do
06:50:44 [heycam]
ED: since they're not going to svg open, probably they don't have such a big problem to attend tpac
06:50:52 [heycam]
AG: assuming i can travel, i'm not too fussed about it
06:51:02 [heycam]
... a pain to travel twice in 4 weeks, but i can do it
06:51:11 [heycam]
... i don't mind if it's shifted back either
06:51:51 [heycam]
ED: for the svg open f2f, should i put the dates on the wiki as proposed dates? from sep 28?
06:52:28 [heycam]
AG: i'd prefer sep 26
06:52:33 [heycam]
... how many days of meeting do we want?
06:53:03 [heycam]
ED: where will we be meeting? would we book a hotel?
06:53:18 [heycam]
CM: maybe mozilla?
06:53:34 [heycam]
ED: i can check if opera have facilities
06:54:29 [heycam]
... i'll put sep 26-30 as the meeting dates, with one day rest before svg open
06:55:07 [heycam]
ACTION: Erik to mail Ruud about SVG Open F2F dates, CCing Doug and Chris
06:55:08 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-2558 - Mail Ruud about SVG Open F2F dates, CCing Doug and Chris [on Erik Dahlström - due 2009-05-20].
06:55:48 [heycam]
Regrets: Chris, Doug
06:56:01 [heycam]
RRSAgent, pointer?
06:56:01 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-irc#T06-56-01
06:56:18 [heycam]
ED: jonathan, do you know if moz has offices we could meet in?
06:56:21 [heycam]
Zakim, who is on the call?
06:56:21 [Zakim]
On the phone I see jwatt, ed, anthony, heycam
06:57:31 [ed]
trackbot, close ACTION-2555
06:57:31 [trackbot]
ACTION-2555 Write the proposal for the Working Group panel closed
06:57:53 [heycam]
Topic: Module updates
06:57:57 [heycam]
ED: any new things happening?
06:58:09 [heycam]
... don't think i've seen anything
06:58:15 [heycam]
... i made some minor changes to the filters module
06:58:31 [heycam]
AG: haven't done anything major yet, still doing investigations into a few things
06:59:42 [heycam]
Topic: Errata progress
06:59:57 [heycam]
ED: the spec itself, is it ready for folding items in?
07:00:19 [heycam]
CM: not yet
07:00:31 [heycam]
AG: i've got a question on wording for the erratum i have to do
07:01:06 [anthony]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2009Apr/0101.html
07:01:14 [heycam]
... that's the original problem report
07:01:15 [anthony]
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2268
07:02:11 [ed]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2009AprJun/0096.html
07:02:25 [heycam]
AG: wondering what wording to replace with
07:02:40 [heycam]
ED: in that url that's a summary of the behaviour in opera/batik
07:02:53 [heycam]
... i'm quite sure it was the same in firefox/safari too
07:03:21 [heycam]
... you could turn those two bullet points into wording
07:04:51 [heycam]
CM: you could add a sentence after the existing one, to state whether the implicit linetos are relative or absolute, based on the relative-ness of the moveto command
07:05:54 [heycam]
ED: you could say that an uppercase "M" means the implicit linetos are absolute, and a lowercase "m" means they are relative
07:06:28 [heycam]
AG: i might add an example, too
07:08:40 [heycam]
CM: i mailed ian jacobs to ask about publishing the second edition spec including changes that aren't in the errata document
07:08:47 [heycam]
... he said that's fine, as long as they aren't new features
07:09:19 [heycam]
... so basically, the same type of changes as in the errata
07:09:28 [heycam]
... the AC review of the PER is sufficient
07:11:15 [heycam]
ED: are we freezing the errata document?
07:11:26 [heycam]
CM: yes, after anthony's erratum is added
07:11:35 [ed]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml
07:11:48 [heycam]
... the remaining unfinished errata can still be added to the spec directly, before it's published
07:12:27 [ed]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#svglength-clarification-and-exceptions
07:12:34 [heycam]
ED: this one looks complete
07:13:52 [heycam]
ED: so it's adding the exception, and stating that the unitType is changed
07:13:58 [heycam]
CM: yes, for the valueAsString attributes
07:14:05 [heycam]
... and there's the exceptions for the other two methods, below
07:14:06 [heycam]
ED: looks ok
07:18:18 [heycam]
CM: i changed the text just now to mention throwing if SVG_LENGTHTYPE_UNKNOWN is passed in
07:18:23 [heycam]
(or SVG_ANGLETYPE_UNKNOWN)
07:19:06 [ed]
"Raised if unitType is not SVG_ANGLETYPE_UNKNOWN" should be "Raised if unitType is SVG_ANGLETYPE_UNKNOWN" ?
07:20:26 [heycam]
ok fixed
07:21:45 [heycam]
ED: any objection to moving it to proposed?
07:21:55 [heycam]
none heard
07:28:26 [heycam]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#clarify_implicit_lineto_commands_in_path_syntax
07:30:44 [heycam]
RESOLUTION: Clarify implicit linetos to be absolute or relative in line with current implementations
07:30:53 [heycam]
s/Clarify/We will clarify/
07:34:43 [ed]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#svgsvgelement-should-not-extend-viewcss-documentcss-or-documentevent
07:37:32 [heycam]
ED: i think this one looks fine
07:37:37 [heycam]
... one minor detail
07:37:53 [heycam]
... why does this errata repeat the section about how SVGDocument implement DocumentEvent?
07:37:55 [heycam]
and DocumentCSS?
07:38:13 [heycam]
... that's both in the new section B.6.4 and before the SVGDocument interface description
07:40:04 [heycam]
CM: i don't mind to drop that paragraph and mention DocumentEvents in appendix B
07:40:52 [heycam]
ACTION: Cameron to modify the #svgsvgelement-should-not-extend-viewcss-documentcss-or-documentevent erratum according to the minutes here
07:40:52 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-2559 - Modify the #svgsvgelement-should-not-extend-viewcss-documentcss-or-documentevent erratum according to the minutes here [on Cameron McCormack - due 2009-05-20].
07:41:14 [ed]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#usecurrentview-should-be-read-only
07:42:05 [heycam]
ED: i agree with this one, any objections to moving it to proposed?
07:42:12 [heycam]
AG: should be fine
07:43:20 [ed]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#currentscale-should-not-throw
07:45:12 [heycam]
ED: i'm ok with this
07:45:18 [heycam]
JW: what about when you assign NaN?
07:45:35 [heycam]
CM: i think that falls under the same category of things in the ecmascript binding that isn't specified currently
07:45:38 [heycam]
ED: ok, move it to proposed
07:46:02 [ed]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#allow-foreignobject-outside-switch
07:47:03 [heycam]
ED: i agree with this one, to allow <foreignObject> as a child of any container element
07:47:06 [heycam]
... not just <switch>
07:48:20 [heycam]
CM: these dtd fragments are going to disappear from the chapters when the second edition is published
07:48:50 [heycam]
ED: move it to proposed if there are no objections
07:49:46 [ed]
http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/errata/errata.xml#getbbox_clarification
07:50:43 [heycam]
JW: do we say anything about calling getBBox() for elements outside the document
07:50:43 [heycam]
CM: we do in tiny, but not in 1.1
07:51:28 [heycam]
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/coords.html#BoundingBox
07:51:46 [heycam]
Elements and document fragments which derive from SVGLocatable but are not in the rendering tree, such as those in a 'defs' element or those which have been been created but not yet inserted into the DOM, must still have a bounding box. The geometry of elements outside the rendering tree must take into account only those properties and values (such as 'font-size') which are specified within that element or document fragment, or which have a lacuna value or an
07:51:46 [heycam]
implementation-defined value.
07:53:16 [heycam]
CM: i'm ok with this erratum
07:53:20 [heycam]
ED: ok, move it to proposed
07:59:35 [heycam]
ACTION: Cameron to publish the errata after doing his other action
07:59:36 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-2560 - Publish the errata after doing his other action [on Cameron McCormack - due 2009-05-20].
08:00:57 [Zakim]
-anthony
08:00:58 [Zakim]
-ed
08:00:58 [Zakim]
-heycam
08:01:10 [Zakim]
-jwatt
08:01:11 [Zakim]
GA_SVGWG()2:30AM has ended
08:01:13 [Zakim]
Attendees were ed, jwatt, anthony, heycam
08:01:38 [heycam]
RRSAgent, make minutes
08:01:38 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/05/13-svg-minutes.html heycam
08:57:54 [heycam]
heycam has joined #svg
09:07:13 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #svg