IRC log of mw4d on 2009-05-11

Timestamps are in UTC.

11:43:07 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
11:43:07 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/05/11-mw4d-irc
11:43:13 [steph]
zakim, this will be mw4d
11:43:13 [Zakim]
ok, steph; I see MWI_MW4D()8:00AM scheduled to start in 17 minutes
11:43:26 [steph]
Meeting: MW4D IG teleconference
11:44:05 [steph]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009May/0001.html
11:44:09 [steph]
Chair: Stephane
11:44:30 [steph]
Scribe: Raphael
11:46:25 [MiraS]
MiraS has joined #mw4d
11:54:47 [BettyPurwandari]
BettyPurwandari has joined #mw4d
11:56:20 [Raphael]
Raphael has joined #mw4d
11:56:44 [Zakim]
MWI_MW4D()8:00AM has now started
11:56:51 [Zakim]
+ +0196266aaaa
11:57:42 [steph]
zakim, code ?
11:57:42 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
11:57:48 [Zakim]
- +0196266aaaa
11:57:49 [Zakim]
MWI_MW4D()8:00AM has ended
11:57:49 [Zakim]
Attendees were +0196266aaaa
11:58:04 [Zakim]
MWI_MW4D()8:00AM has now started
11:58:11 [Zakim]
+ +04122730aaaa
11:58:15 [Zakim]
+ +58110aabb
11:58:22 [steph]
zakim, aaaa is stephane
11:58:22 [Zakim]
+stephane; got it
11:58:34 [steph]
zakim, aabb is raphael
11:58:34 [Zakim]
+raphael; got it
11:58:59 [kiwanja]
kiwanja has joined #mw4d
11:59:38 [mib_iipgnb]
mib_iipgnb has joined #mw4d
12:00:02 [Zakim]
+??P2
12:00:34 [mib_iipgnb]
richard scullin
12:00:34 [kiwanja]
there's something funny on the line!
12:00:40 [kiwanja]
it's french :)
12:00:49 [steph]
zakim, ??p2 is Ken
12:00:49 [Zakim]
+Ken; got it
12:01:32 [Phil]
Phil has joined #mw4d
12:01:49 [Zakim]
+ +0776017aacc
12:02:00 [Raphael]
Scribe: Raphael
12:02:07 [steph]
zakim, aacc is StevenW
12:02:07 [Zakim]
+StevenW; got it
12:02:14 [MiraS]
+m
12:03:07 [rscullin]
rscullin has joined #mw4d
12:03:07 [Raphael]
Chair: Steph
12:03:08 [MiraS]
+??P1
12:03:14 [Raphael]
Meetign: MW4D
12:03:18 [MiraS]
??p1 is Mira
12:03:19 [mib_8bmkt9]
mib_8bmkt9 has joined #mw4d
12:03:22 [kiwanja]
steph - will need to leave at 1:40 - have to go out for a meeting. FYI
12:03:23 [mib_8bmkt9]
hi
12:03:31 [Zakim]
+ +035850558aadd
12:03:31 [Raphael]
hi
12:03:39 [Zakim]
+??P5
12:03:55 [steph]
e.g. /nickname steve
12:04:19 [steph]
zakim, aadd is Lauri
12:04:19 [Zakim]
+Lauri; got it
12:04:38 [steph]
zakim, ??p5 is PhilippO
12:04:38 [Zakim]
+PhilippO; got it
12:04:58 [steph]
Present: stephane, Raphael, ken, Steve, Philipp, Lauri
12:05:04 [NicolasC]
nicolas here will follow via IRC
12:05:08 [steph]
ok
12:05:19 [steph]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2009May/0001.html
12:05:25 [mib_8bmkt9]
hello
12:05:27 [Zakim]
+ +0773440aaee
12:05:36 [Zakim]
+ +1.413.458.aaff
12:05:37 [steph]
zakim, aaee is mira
12:05:38 [Zakim]
+mira; got it
12:05:47 [steph]
zakim, aaff is richard
12:05:47 [Zakim]
+richard; got it
12:06:15 [SteveWolak]
SteveWolak has joined #mw4d
12:06:22 [SteveWolak]
hello
12:06:26 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2009/04/06-mw4d-minutes.html
12:06:32 [steph]
hi Steve it works fine
12:06:34 [Raphael]
Present: Mira
12:06:53 [Raphael]
Steph: Review of action items
12:06:54 [Zakim]
+ +0196266aagg
12:07:07 [steph]
zakim, aagg is Betty
12:07:07 [Zakim]
+Betty; got it
12:07:16 [SteveWolak]
have you all seen this: http://crowdtalk.wordpress.com/
12:08:01 [steph]
http://www.webfoundation.org/2009/04/ictd-2009-travel-report.html
12:08:05 [Arun]
Arun has joined #mw4d
12:08:07 [SteveWolak]
I will talk about www.betavine.net later ...
12:08:38 [Raphael]
Steph: Invites for questions and comments
12:09:08 [Raphael]
Steph: Attehded ICT Africa in Kampala
12:09:34 [Zakim]
+ +91.11.41.aahh
12:09:35 [Raphael]
Staph: planning to sum up Maputo meeting
12:09:45 [steph]
zakim, aahh is Arun
12:09:45 [Zakim]
+Arun; got it
12:10:18 [Raphael]
Any new conference to mention?
12:10:50 [Raphael]
I added one here http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/Events
12:11:01 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/BetavineSocialExchangev2.pdf
12:11:24 [Raphael]
Steph: Next: Presentation by Steve on Betavine
12:11:50 [Raphael]
Using technology to facilitate social change
12:13:14 [Raphael]
RD: I also use Kiva
12:13:40 [steph]
rrsagent, make log public
12:14:01 [steph]
zakim, who is making noise
12:14:01 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is making noise', steph
12:14:03 [steph]
zakim, who is making noise?
12:14:14 [Zakim]
steph, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: raphael (51%), StevenW (27%), Betty (4%)
12:14:51 [Raphael]
weird, I cut my voice channel...
12:15:04 [steph]
zakim, mute raphael
12:15:04 [Zakim]
raphael should now be muted
12:15:09 [steph]
zakim, unmute raphael
12:15:09 [Zakim]
raphael should no longer be muted
12:15:11 [Raphael]
mute me
12:15:16 [steph]
zakim, mute raphael
12:15:16 [Zakim]
raphael should now be muted
12:17:50 [Phil]
+q phil
12:17:56 [Raphael]
q+
12:18:11 [SteveWolak]
any questions
12:18:17 [steph]
ack phil
12:18:21 [steph]
q+
12:18:31 [Raphael]
zakim, unmute me
12:18:31 [Zakim]
raphael should no longer be muted
12:19:08 [Raphael]
Steph, my sound is not good, could you please complement me, thanks
12:19:24 [rscullin]
q+
12:19:34 [steph]
sure
12:19:54 [steph]
Phil: trying to do a similar things with students here
12:20:05 [steph]
but missing tools and skills to complete projects
12:20:19 [steph]
how university students can work with betavine
12:20:22 [steph]
?
12:20:47 [steph]
phil: using students at the end of university life, doing projects
12:20:57 [SteveWolak]
can you send me a link
12:20:59 [steph]
and we want them to make real-world projects
12:21:22 [steph]
time and availability is a major issue
12:21:45 [steph]
steve: global developper community includes but not limited to student
12:22:32 [Raphael]
Phil: main issue is group discipline
12:23:00 [Raphael]
zakim: mute me
12:23:18 [steph]
zakim, who is making noise ?
12:23:31 [steph]
stephen: good idea to package work for students
12:23:36 [Zakim]
steph, listening for 17 seconds I heard sound from the following: StevenW (22%), PhilippO (66%), Betty (4%)
12:23:45 [steph]
zakim, mute me
12:23:45 [Zakim]
stephane should now be muted
12:23:49 [steph]
zakim, unmute me
12:23:49 [Zakim]
stephane should no longer be muted
12:23:51 [Raphael]
zakim: unmute me
12:24:03 [steph]
ack raphael
12:24:41 [steph]
raphael: more in hte problem owner side
12:24:53 [steph]
what are your business model ?
12:25:21 [steph]
stephen: no particular business model, depneding on who is solving which problem
12:25:38 [steph]
might involve local operators launching a new service
12:26:09 [steph]
number of different models
12:26:19 [steph]
and number different model for funding them
12:26:25 [steph]
including commercial ones
12:26:43 [steph]
could be also funded by gov. or public sectors. we are open
12:26:50 [steph]
and explore different opportunities
12:26:56 [steph]
ack me
12:27:37 [Raphael]
Steph: understands that there is no technology limitation (i.e. SMS)
12:27:58 [Raphael]
are there guidelines for projects?
12:28:21 [Raphael]
Steve: are going to come up with guidelines
12:28:30 [Raphael]
and a co-creation space
12:29:26 [Raphael]
Steph: will there be development, standardized technologies?
12:29:35 [Raphael]
development guidelines
12:29:48 [Raphael]
Steve: will encourage open-source solutions
12:29:57 [Raphael]
but no limited to
12:30:37 [rscullin]
http://nextbillion.mit.edu/
12:30:52 [steph]
ack rscullin
12:31:19 [Raphael]
Richard: the next three years there will see 1 billion subscribers at BoP
12:32:50 [Raphael]
there is an active entrepreneurial group at MIT on these development issue and apps
12:33:07 [Raphael]
sees links with betavine initiative
12:33:26 [steph]
zakim, who is making noise ?
12:33:43 [Zakim]
steph, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: StevenW (75%)
12:33:58 [Raphael]
Steve is back on the presentation, slide 14
12:36:49 [Raphael]
Steph: what is your timeline?
12:37:08 [Raphael]
Steve: build the website between now and Sept.
12:37:19 [Raphael]
run a pilot between Sept and new year
12:38:01 [Raphael]
looking for NGOs to sign up for the trial in Sept.
12:38:08 [SteveWolak]
http://crowdtalk.wordpress.com/
12:38:21 [Raphael]
looking for feedback via his blog
12:39:46 [rscullin]
q+
12:39:53 [Raphael]
Steve: anyone has contact with NGOs?
12:39:56 [steph]
ack rscullin
12:41:05 [Raphael]
q+
12:42:03 [Raphael]
Steph: you may want to look at the participants list of the Maputo Workshop for NGO names
12:42:29 [Phil]
q+
12:42:57 [steph]
ack raohael
12:43:02 [steph]
ack raphael
12:43:33 [kiwanja]
(need to shoot, steph. interesting presentation. let's connect in the week!)
12:44:09 [Zakim]
-Ken
12:44:46 [Raphael]
Raph: can the platform work with projects that take place in countries where Vodafone is absent?
12:44:50 [Raphael]
Steve: yes
12:45:04 [steph]
ack phil
12:45:04 [Raphael]
Steph, I missed the last one
12:45:22 [Raphael]
thanks for completing :)
12:45:31 [steph]
no problem
12:45:38 [rscullin]
Thanks! This was great!
12:45:48 [SteveWolak]
thank you for your time and questions
12:45:52 [Raphael]
Thanks a lot, Steve
12:46:58 [Raphael]
Steph: any other item for this call?
12:47:18 [Raphael]
next teleconf. will be next week Monday
12:47:31 [Raphael]
theme of discussion will be sent later
12:47:53 [rscullin]
I have to drop. thanks!
12:48:04 [Zakim]
-richard
12:48:06 [Raphael]
Maputo workshop will also be discuted
12:48:13 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
12:48:13 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/05/11-mw4d-minutes.html steph
12:48:13 [Zakim]
-Betty
12:48:14 [Zakim]
-StevenW
12:48:14 [Zakim]
-Arun
12:48:16 [Zakim]
-stephane
12:48:17 [Zakim]
-Lauri
12:48:19 [Zakim]
-mira
12:48:24 [Zakim]
-PhilippO
12:48:27 [Raphael]
rrsagent, draft minutes
12:48:27 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/05/11-mw4d-minutes.html Raphael
12:48:28 [Zakim]
-raphael
12:48:29 [Zakim]
MWI_MW4D()8:00AM has ended
12:48:30 [Zakim]
Attendees were +04122730aaaa, +58110aabb, stephane, raphael, Ken, +0776017aacc, StevenW, +035850558aadd, Lauri, PhilippO, +0773440aaee, +1.413.458.aaff, mira, richard,
12:48:32 [Zakim]
... +0196266aagg, Betty, +91.11.41.aahh, Arun
13:05:21 [mib_l8ppzh]
mib_l8ppzh has joined #mw4d
14:49:58 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #mw4d
14:54:49 [steph]
rrsagent, excuse us
14:54:49 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items