IRC log of ua on 2009-05-07

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:52:50 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #ua
16:52:50 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-irc
16:53:01 [AllanJ]
rrsagent, set logs public
16:55:34 [Zakim]
WAI_UAWG()1:00PM has now started
16:55:41 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
16:55:51 [kford]
zakim, microsoft is kford
16:55:51 [Zakim]
+kford; got it
16:56:25 [jeanne]
jeanne has joined #ua
16:56:49 [sharper]
sharper has joined #ua
16:57:21 [Zakim]
+Allanj
16:59:13 [jeanne]
zakim, code?
16:59:13 [Zakim]
the conference code is 82941 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), jeanne
16:59:25 [Zakim]
+Jeanne
16:59:27 [Jan]
Jan has joined #ua
16:59:39 [Jan]
zakim, code?
16:59:39 [Zakim]
the conference code is 82941 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), Jan
16:59:51 [Zakim]
+??P5
16:59:55 [sharper]
zakim, ??P5 is sharper
16:59:55 [Zakim]
+sharper; got it
17:00:47 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
17:00:58 [Jan]
zakim, [IPcaller] is really Jan
17:00:58 [Zakim]
+Jan; got it
17:03:49 [Zakim]
+Kim_Patch
17:04:19 [Zakim]
+??P12
17:04:46 [KimPatch]
KimPatch has joined #ua
17:04:55 [AllanJ]
zakim, P12 is really Mark_Hakkinen
17:04:55 [Zakim]
sorry, AllanJ, I do not recognize a party named 'P12'
17:05:05 [AllanJ]
zakim, ??P12 is really Mark_Hakkinen
17:05:05 [Zakim]
+Mark_Hakkinen; got it
17:05:14 [mhakkinen]
mhakkinen has joined #ua
17:05:15 [Zakim]
+ +1.425.895.aaaa
17:05:52 [AllanJ]
zakim, aaaa is really Greg_Lowney
17:05:52 [Zakim]
+Greg_Lowney; got it
17:09:09 [AllanJ]
GL: Introduces self
17:15:45 [AllanJ]
all: introductions
17:16:30 [AllanJ]
agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2009AprJun/0038.html
17:18:03 [kford]
Group going through intros.
17:18:53 [kford]
zakim, list agenda
17:18:53 [Zakim]
I see nothing on the agenda
17:19:37 [kford]
Agenda+ Logistics (Regrets, agenda requests, comments)?
17:19:57 [kford]
Agenda+ Survey Results
17:19:57 [kford]
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/200905
17:19:58 [kford]
Agenda+ Survey Results
17:19:58 [kford]
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20090505/
17:20:28 [kford]
zakim close item 3
17:21:05 [kford]
zakim take up item 1
17:21:26 [kford]
zakim takeup item 2
17:21:40 [kford]
zakim item 2
17:22:26 [kford]
Scribe: kford
17:24:35 [kford]
zakim, take up item 2
17:24:35 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Survey Results" taken up [from kford]
17:25:25 [kford]
Taking up #38 Text Configuration
17:26:33 [kford]
Jan Proposal 3.6.2 Text Scale Distinctions: when rendered text is rescaled, the user has the option to either preserve or remove distinctions in the relatives scales
17:26:33 [kford]
of rendered text. (Level A) 
17:30:37 [Zakim]
-Jan
17:30:56 [Zakim]
+??P11
17:31:10 [AllanJ]
KF: MH comment in survey. Requires AT. should expand to include Jan's wording
17:31:17 [Jan]
zakim, ??P11 is really Jan
17:31:17 [Zakim]
+Jan; got it
17:32:56 [AllanJ]
JA: +1 Jan wording
17:33:08 [AllanJ]
MH: +1 Jan wording
17:33:21 [kford]
GL: In general proposal looks good. One question does current proposal allow wiggle room that would allow multiple designs that might be good or bad.
17:34:50 [kford]
GL: One can imaging scaling up all items at same rate.
17:35:26 [kford]
G: Second is like a word draft mode.GL: Option 3 I want everything to scale at same relative percentages but don't make anything beyond size X.
17:35:46 [Jan]
q+ to say also could set a floor
17:35:55 [kford]
GL: Do we want a UA author to be able to do this?
17:36:11 [kford]
GL: Capping size is more complicated.
17:36:34 [kford]
KP: What I want is a particular type of text in one font and everything else in something eolse?
17:38:15 [AllanJ]
KP: change size by class of text (headings, etc.)
17:39:35 [AllanJ]
KF: this is a good idea. perhaps should have a requirement. build user css based on page
17:39:56 [kford]
JR: Another thing to think about is that the user might not want something below size X. I think we need to rewrite taking this all into consideration.
17:40:11 [AllanJ]
JR: set floor and ceiling. need rewrite
17:40:33 [kford]
GL: A floor and a ceiling are good ideas. We have to think about the level that these are. Setting everything to a given font may be easier.
17:40:56 [Jan]
ack Jan
17:40:56 [Zakim]
Jan, you wanted to say also could set a floor
17:41:13 [kford]
GL: I could imagine the single size being level A and floor and ceiling being AA.
17:42:10 [kford]
Some clarification around rendered text and whether this applies to content and UI.
17:42:27 [kford]
As written this applied to rendered text.
17:44:58 [kford]
Some discussion around how W3C specs could reference ISO standards and any plans.
17:46:44 [AllanJ]
JR: can refence informationally to other standards
17:46:50 [kford]
q+
17:47:51 [AllanJ]
KF: Jan proposal, but many expansions, should rewrite.
17:47:58 [AllanJ]
JA: summary: scale fonts, min/max, floor - bring anything smaller upto a min size, remove distinctions when scaling,
17:49:21 [kford]
Action: Greg to update 3.6.2 for text sizing.
17:49:21 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Greg
17:50:35 [kford]
Next Up: #53 Allow users supplied stylesheets
17:53:28 [Jan]
q+
17:53:49 [AllanJ]
ack kford
17:53:56 [AllanJ]
ack jan
17:54:37 [AllanJ]
JR: what is data of user supplied style sheet
17:54:45 [AllanJ]
KF: low
17:55:19 [AllanJ]
users don't know about the ability, difficult to write a css
17:56:35 [kford]
GL: When I worked on Windows we added a range of high contrast color schemes. But we got a lot of complaints when there was part of the UI that the user couldn't customize. While the number was low, for those who needed it it was critical.
17:58:14 [AllanJ]
KF: What about the Kindle. should they have user style sheets.
17:58:32 [AllanJ]
GL: if they wanted AA
17:59:03 [kford]
Group is in agreement that user creating stylesheets being able to create is AA.
18:00:24 [AllanJ]
KF: A switch or disable author CSS, AA is create apply user CSS
18:00:45 [Jan]
+1
18:01:05 [Zakim]
-Jan
18:01:27 [AllanJ]
GL: be careful of and/or
18:03:13 [kford]
Action: kford to update guideline on style sheets to reflect current thinking.
18:03:13 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - kford
18:03:38 [kford]
Action: KFord to update guideline on stylesheets.
18:03:38 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - KFord
18:03:53 [AllanJ]
Action: Kelly to rewrite 3.6.2 on style sheets to reflect current
18:03:53 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-182 - Rewrite 3.6.2 on style sheets to reflect current [on Kelly Ford - due 2009-05-14].
18:04:31 [kford]
On to: #55 Clarify difference between 4.1.10 and 4.1.11
18:07:01 [kford]
Group looking through survey comments.
18:14:06 [AllanJ]
discussion of key precedence
18:14:24 [kford]
Extensive discussion on keyboard behavior. Ranged from access keys to conflicts and such.
18:14:31 [AllanJ]
GL: user can change modifier keys
18:16:15 [KimPatch]
I'm going to have to go at 2:30
18:16:32 [AllanJ]
GL: change non-modifier, and/or change modifier key
18:22:09 [AllanJ]
GL: saving keybinding changes for individual websites would be lots of overhead, perhaps AA
18:24:57 [Zakim]
-Mark_Hakkinen
18:25:00 [Zakim]
-Kim_Patch
18:25:09 [Zakim]
-Greg_Lowney
18:25:20 [Zakim]
-sharper
18:33:44 [Zakim]
-kford
18:33:47 [Zakim]
-Jeanne
18:33:48 [Zakim]
-Allanj
18:33:48 [Zakim]
WAI_UAWG()1:00PM has ended
18:33:49 [Zakim]
Attendees were kford, Allanj, Jeanne, sharper, Jan, Kim_Patch, Mark_Hakkinen, +1.425.895.aaaa, Greg_Lowney
18:38:19 [kford]
rrsagent, amke minutes
18:38:19 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'amke minutes', kford. Try /msg RRSAgent help
18:38:32 [kford]
rrsagent, make minutes
18:38:32 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-minutes.html kford
18:40:44 [kford]
Chair: Jim_Annal
18:40:51 [kford]
rrsagent, make minutes
18:40:51 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-minutes.html kford
18:41:41 [kford]
Chair: Jim_allan
18:41:46 [kford]
rrsagent, make minutes
18:41:46 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-minutes.html kford
18:45:37 [AllanJ]
AllanJ has left #ua
18:46:55 [kford]
zakim, please part
18:46:55 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #ua
18:47:02 [kford]
rrsagent, please part
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
I see 4 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-actions.rdf :
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Greg to update 3.6.2 for text sizing. [1]
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-irc#T17-49-21
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: kford to update guideline on style sheets to reflect current thinking. [2]
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-irc#T18-03-13
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: KFord to update guideline on stylesheets. [3]
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-irc#T18-03-38
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Kelly to rewrite 3.6.2 on style sheets to reflect current [4]
18:47:02 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/05/07-ua-irc#T18-03-53