IRC log of egov on 2009-04-01

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:46:33 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #egov
12:46:33 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/04/01-egov-irc
12:47:10 [josema]
josema has changed the topic to: Group call: April 1, 13:00Z
12:52:09 [josema]
agenda+ Scribe, agenda adjustments
12:52:24 [josema]
agenda+ Any new Members around? Intros.
12:52:54 [josema]
agenda+ Group Note Issues
12:53:12 [josema]
agenda+ F2F2 Meeting debrief and actions
12:53:32 [josema]
agenda+ 2nd Charter and way forward
12:53:46 [josema]
agenda+ What's going on out there?
12:54:10 [josema]
agenda+ Next Call: proposed April 15, 13:00Z
12:54:13 [josema]
agenda?
12:54:28 [josema]
zakim, this will be egov
12:54:28 [Zakim]
ok, josema; I see T&S_EGOV()9:00AM scheduled to start in 6 minutes
12:57:50 [davemc]
davemc has joined #egov
12:59:33 [Zakim]
T&S_EGOV()9:00AM has now started
12:59:39 [josema]
trackbot, start telcon
12:59:40 [Zakim]
+rachel
12:59:41 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
12:59:42 [dmcallis]
dmcallis has joined #egov
12:59:43 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be EGOV
12:59:43 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see T&S_EGOV()9:00AM already started
12:59:44 [trackbot]
Meeting: eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference
12:59:44 [trackbot]
Date: 01 April 2009
12:59:52 [josema]
chair: kevin, john
12:59:56 [Rachel]
Rachel has joined #egov
13:00:19 [Zakim]
+ +1.703.994.aaaa
13:00:24 [Zakim]
+ +1.202.319.aabb
13:01:12 [Zakim]
+josema
13:01:41 [josema]
zakim, aabb is Daniel_Bennett
13:01:42 [Zakim]
+Daniel_Bennett; got it
13:02:07 [Zakim]
+??P12
13:02:08 [josema]
zakim, aaaa is Ken
13:02:09 [Zakim]
+Ken; got it
13:02:37 [josema]
zakim, ??P12 is Owen
13:02:37 [Zakim]
+Owen; got it
13:02:43 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
13:02:43 [Zakim]
On the phone I see rachel, Ken, Daniel_Bennett, josema, Owen
13:02:44 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Rachel, dmcallis, RRSAgent, Zakim, josema, Daniel_Bennett, trackbot
13:02:46 [josema]
agenda?
13:03:20 [Zakim]
+??P13
13:03:37 [josema]
zakim, ??P13 is dmcallis
13:03:37 [Zakim]
+dmcallis; got it
13:04:24 [Owen]
Owen has joined #egov
13:05:02 [josema]
agenda?
13:05:09 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
13:05:18 [Zakim]
On the phone I see rachel, Ken, Daniel_Bennett, josema, Owen, dmcallis
13:05:19 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Owen, Rachel, dmcallis, RRSAgent, Zakim, josema, Daniel_Bennett, trackbot
13:05:42 [josema]
regrets+ Chris
13:05:56 [dmcallis]
dmcallis == DaveMcAllister, Adobe (magic decoder ring)
13:06:16 [Zakim]
+AIA
13:06:29 [josema]
zakim, AIA is Kevin
13:06:29 [Zakim]
+Kevin; got it
13:06:35 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
13:06:35 [Zakim]
On the phone I see rachel, Ken, Daniel_Bennett, josema, Owen, dmcallis, Kevin
13:06:37 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Owen, Rachel, dmcallis, RRSAgent, Zakim, josema, Daniel_Bennett, trackbot
13:07:03 [josema]
agenda?
13:07:23 [kevin]
kevin has joined #egov
13:07:37 [josema]
zakim, Kevin is kevin
13:07:37 [Zakim]
+kevin; got it
13:07:42 [josema]
agenda?
13:07:59 [darobin]
darobin has joined #egov
13:08:33 [josema]
next agendum
13:08:47 [josema]
scribe: Daniel
13:08:58 [josema]
scribeNick: Daniel_Bennet
13:09:06 [josema]
scribeNick: Daniel_Bennett
13:09:14 [josema]
next agendum
13:09:17 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: I can still type
13:09:21 [josema]
zakim, close this agendum
13:09:21 [Zakim]
agendum 1 closed
13:09:22 [Zakim]
I see 6 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
13:09:23 [Zakim]
2. Any new Members around? Intros. [from josema]
13:09:25 [josema]
zakim, next agendum
13:09:25 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Any new Members around? Intros." taken up [from josema]
13:09:54 [Daniel_Bennett]
Dave: Hello from Adobe (DaveMcAllister)
13:10:08 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken Fischer: Hi to group
13:10:23 [josema]
[dave heads standards work at Adobe]
13:10:31 [josema]
zakim, next agendum
13:10:31 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Group Note Issues" taken up [from josema]
13:10:44 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: talking about comments on group notes
13:11:10 [Daniel_Bennett]
Keven: issue of ensuring that notes can be read by non-technical readers
13:11:35 [josema]
s/Keven:/...
13:11:56 [Daniel_Bennett]
s/Kevin: we still have a ways to go on changing text to easier to understand by non-techs
13:12:46 [Daniel_Bennett]
s/Jose/ I have been taking some good comments from outside and use the tracker. trying to find a balance on how to handle input.
13:13:00 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/issues/open
13:13:23 [Daniel_Bennett]
s/Jose/ I will put a link on IRC of the tracker that we can use to take in comments/edits
13:13:41 [Daniel_Bennett]
sorry
13:14:06 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
13:14:06 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/04/01-egov-minutes.html josema
13:14:21 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: Has a comment for Daniel about format of his section
13:14:56 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: had comment that Daniel's section should reflect overall outline
13:15:31 [Daniel_Bennett]
Daniel: says I know and will change the document accordingly
13:16:18 [Zakim]
+john
13:16:28 [john]
john has joined #eGov
13:17:08 [john]
Sorry I'm late - just joined the call
13:17:17 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: thinks that use cases and more solutions should be added
13:17:24 [Daniel_Bennett]
Daniel: I agree
13:17:31 [Daniel_Bennett]
John: Hi
13:18:05 [Zakim]
+ +1.410.992.aacc - is perhaps Joe?
13:18:44 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: how should we handle the comment period by April 26
13:19:11 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: How should we balance the comments before vs after?
13:19:56 [Daniel_Bennett]
fix above: Jose: How to handle editing while comments are coming in?
13:20:19 [joec]
joec has joined #egov
13:21:03 [Daniel_Bennett]
Daniel: It will get complicated if we dont hold off on editing.
13:21:40 [Daniel_Bennett]
John: I agree that it will be hard to account for changes made while edits are coming out.
13:21:47 [dmcallis]
I agree. We should consider them (and potential resolutions) but leave the document static till the open date ends
13:22:05 [josema]
s/John/Kevin
13:22:27 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin:This may be a problem for dates, but still a problem to keep editing.
13:22:46 [Daniel_Bennett]
John: I agree.
13:24:17 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: If we try to get to everything done by date that may not be helpful for the standards.
13:25:06 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: Process wise for W3C we need to either ask for a delay or we need to finish by the date.
13:25:38 [Daniel_Bennett]
" I would like to have effort to finish the charter in time. Delay only if must.
13:26:11 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: Trying to keep a lot happening while respecting the process.
13:26:22 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: laughs
13:26:22 [john]
devils advocate?
13:27:05 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: my question is answered. first wait for comments then work on editing.
13:27:46 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: we need a call for additional authors.
13:28:25 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: not written in stone who the authors are, please, please, please volunteer
13:28:33 [Daniel_Bennett]
" especially new members
13:28:40 [josema]
agenda?
13:28:58 [dmcallis]
will review the sections to see if I can add value as author
13:29:00 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: You did put out a call?
13:29:41 [ocr]
ocr has joined #egov
13:30:02 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: I talked with someone at Adobe about some of the sections
13:30:15 [Daniel_Bennett]
Dave: clarifies who was talked with.
13:30:16 [josema]
s/someone/Larry
13:30:30 [dmcallis]
s/Larry/Larry Masinter
13:31:41 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: If we target the 15th for new material would that be a good date?
13:31:48 [Zakim]
+ +34.98.439.aadd
13:31:49 [Daniel_Bennett]
John: agrees
13:32:14 [ocr]
zakim, aadd is ocr
13:32:14 [Zakim]
+ocr; got it
13:32:15 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: is that reasonable for the authors?
13:32:27 [josema]
zakim, aadd is oscar
13:32:27 [Zakim]
sorry, josema, I do not recognize a party named 'aadd'
13:32:32 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-egov-improving-20090310/
13:33:47 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: not done sections are- Multi-channel Deliver and Long term data mgnt.
13:34:45 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: I can not do the Multi-Channel Delivery so still looking, Long Term Data was going to be with Chris
13:35:00 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: Chris has an outline
13:35:19 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: Chris told me that it is almost done
13:35:39 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: I will talk to him tomorrow.
13:36:09 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: Just publish or work on stuff as soon as possible.
13:36:22 [Daniel_Bennett]
" use the wiki
13:36:43 [josema]
editor's draft: http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/Group/docs/note
13:36:46 [Daniel_Bennett]
Joe: asks for link to editable for editing
13:37:15 [josema]
I personally would prefer to have something on http://www.w3.org/Mobile/
13:37:21 [Daniel_Bennett]
Joe: what about just dropping Multi Channel or what is that?
13:37:24 [josema]
...at least
13:38:01 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: We will try and get this dealing with social, etc. included
13:38:32 [Daniel_Bennett]
Joe: just say mobile? and focus on interop
13:38:35 [dmcallis]
multi channel == mobile, MID, desktop, living room (TV)
13:39:10 [dmcallis]
major impact on data viewing structure
13:39:27 [josema]
right Dave, issue is a)we don't have expertise in Group to talk about all of that b)we decided at the F2F that Mobile was enough for now
13:39:38 [Daniel_Bennett]
Joe: should we stay on basics?
13:39:51 [josema]
are you volunteering? :)
13:40:09 [Daniel_Bennett]
Owen: Obama is telling US agencies to keep it simple and raw.
13:40:44 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: keep context out there, but we are trying to bring in all countries.
13:40:54 [dmcallis]
and the US is behind in the multi channel space
13:41:40 [Daniel_Bennett]
Daniel: shouldn't we deal with syndication, Twitter, Facebook for Multi Channel
13:41:46 [josema]
zakim, aadd is ocr
13:41:46 [Zakim]
sorry, josema, I do not recognize a party named 'aadd'
13:41:57 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: we should formulate the base.
13:42:19 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: we should cite the standards.
13:42:42 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
13:42:42 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/04/01-egov-minutes.html josema
13:43:34 [josema]
+1 to Owen!
13:43:49 [josema]
on two way street with socmed sites
13:44:10 [Daniel_Bennett]
Daniel: shouldn't we address the standards as a way of explaining how to deal with social media.
13:44:33 [josema]
agenda?
13:45:00 [Daniel_Bennett]
Owen: Social Media should work on using standards so that govt can participate.
13:45:43 [Daniel_Bennett]
Dave: Social Media is experimenting so no standards should apply at beginning
13:46:11 [Daniel_Bennett]
Owen: important for govt. should not participate with non-standards
13:46:21 [Daniel_Bennett]
Joe: what about syndication
13:46:41 [Daniel_Bennett]
Dave: explains the mechanism.
13:46:52 [josema]
->http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20090325_5490.php GSA signs deals for agencies to use social networking sites
13:48:21 [josema]
remember also that social media incubator at W3C is coming and we'll coordinate with them
13:49:05 [Daniel_Bennett]
Rachel: wanted to let you know that the folks in govt trenches are dealing with legal issues
13:49:14 [Daniel_Bennett]
" TOS issues
13:49:42 [Daniel_Bennett]
" it takes govt awhile to meet legal concerns first
13:49:52 [josema]
s/"/...
13:49:59 [josema]
s/"/...
13:50:24 [Daniel_Bennett]
Rachel: we are working on it
13:50:45 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: it took Lib. of Congress 9 months to deal with Flickr
13:51:12 [dmcallis]
The mechanism for most feeds to twitter et.al. is a specific API between the feed (text) to twitter. There are commercial sites (such as TweetLater) that offer these serviices.
13:51:24 [josema]
s/Flickr/Flickr because of legal issues, technical ones were done in a week
13:51:50 [Daniel_Bennett]
Rachel: social media issues published.
13:52:07 [dmcallis]
The concern is where to draw the line of social media sites. They appear often, offer new capabilities
13:52:13 [Daniel_Bennett]
Daniel: shouldnt that be posted as a USE CASE for the eGov group
13:52:38 [josema]
clearly, we aim for data-in data-out
13:52:47 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin F: May be the committee should address the broader issues
13:53:18 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin F: build the framework that government operates under.
13:53:55 [Owen]
I need to leave at 10:00 to go to a meeting with folks at the U.S. Courts to discuss records management issues.
13:54:08 [josema]
s/Kevin F/Ken
13:54:10 [josema]
s/Kevin F/Ken
13:54:21 [Daniel_Bennett]
thanks Jose
13:55:04 [Owen]
I hope someone can compile a summary report from the F2F, particularly a listing of follow-up action items, if any.
13:55:09 [Daniel_Bennett]
Rachel: govts need to be seen where people are
13:56:17 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
13:56:17 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/04/01-egov-minutes.html josema
13:56:22 [dmcallis]
do we need to express such data (video) as a recommended standard? encoders/decoders?
13:56:34 [Daniel_Bennett]
Rachel: Social Media folks have been accommodating
13:57:06 [Owen]
With respect to the way forward, it seems to me that it would be best to focus on one or two objectives that we can accomplish fairly quickly and well. However, I suspect the reality is that relatively few of us want to work on the same objectives. If not, I suppose the best we can do is take whatever any of us may be willing and able to contribute.
13:57:49 [dmcallis]
did we arrive at the definition of this section ? Multi-channel == socila media?
13:58:04 [josema]
thanks Owen, I'll make sure to bring this up
13:58:41 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken: should talk about other forms of reaching out to placing ads, etc.
13:58:43 [Owen]
Dave, if you're not already aware of StratML and the PDF form we have used to convert many strategic plans to StratML format, I'd like to exchange E-mail with you about it. My address is owen@ambur.net
13:59:15 [dmcallis]
sure: dmcallis@adobe.com
14:00:00 [josema]
q?
14:00:11 [josema]
agenda?
14:00:30 [Zakim]
-Owen
14:00:41 [josema]
rrsagent, pointer?
14:00:41 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2009/04/01-egov-irc#T14-00-41
14:00:46 [josema]
[Owen leaves call]
14:01:04 [Daniel_Bennett]
Daniel: suggests breaking up Multi channel should be broken into data standards versus social policy
14:01:44 [Daniel_Bennett]
Joe and Ken: Twitter is both syndication and online chat
14:02:05 [Daniel_Bennett]
Joe: Should govt pick winners?
14:03:09 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken: future of public service announcements should be discussed
14:03:24 [dmcallis]
concern on the aggregator. as this new media evolves, many data types in play, many channels. twitter is simple, video is harder. converstaions bring own channels
14:04:24 [Daniel_Bennett]
though putting out multiple forms of information needs to be addressed in paper.
14:04:46 [Daniel_Bennett]
this discussion points out that the discussion needs to be reflected in Group Note.
14:04:55 [dmcallis]
agreed. this needs to be addressed, perhaps as best practices rather than standards
14:06:05 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: it takes a bit of work to participate with outside media.
14:07:57 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken: there is no one place to help promote information
14:08:17 [dmcallis]
portal approach ++ social broadcast?
14:08:24 [josema]
+1, I think this Group's work is way more Best Practices than Standards and that we should coordinate with the other Groups doing technical work as appropriate
14:08:46 [kevin]
Jose, agree that it a good approach
14:09:17 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken: more efforts to get info out
14:09:20 [josema]
there you have it, we _only_ need to choose the topics ;)
14:09:45 [dmcallis]
apologies. will need to drop off early today
14:10:01 [Daniel_Bennett]
thanks Dave for participating
14:10:14 [Zakim]
-dmcallis
14:10:19 [dmcallis]
dmcallis has left #egov
14:10:32 [Daniel_Bennett]
can we come to a decision on this?
14:11:20 [Daniel_Bennett]
-john suggest creating a London Gazzette for U.S.
14:11:47 [Daniel_Bennett]
John, Kevin,,, what Jose says
14:12:41 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken and Rachel: discussion of how to publish data more openly
14:12:52 [kevin]
ok will do
14:13:25 [josema]
no matter what we start to discuss (remember: it was multi-channel) we end up discussing OGD
14:13:37 [josema]
in the end it's all about the data!
14:13:54 [Daniel_Bennett]
kevin?
14:14:46 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: lets bring this to conclusion
14:15:19 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken: asks how to decrease burden of publishing on both the govt and outside
14:15:47 [john]
good discussion!
14:16:04 [josema]
+1 to Kevin
14:16:29 [josema]
no time to do that in a month but we should consider it as year 2 work
14:16:31 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: We need to add in this
14:16:41 [josema]
agenda?
14:16:55 [josema]
zakim, next agendum
14:16:55 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "F2F2 Meeting debrief and actions" taken up [from josema]
14:17:22 [josema]
->http://www.w3.org/2009/03/25-TechSurvey/ W3C Technology Survey
14:17:34 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: we dealt in ways with F2F, mentioned the TechSurvey
14:18:03 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: spoke to data.gov about what would be helpful
14:19:34 [Daniel_Bennett]
" more specifics on incorporating these efforts
14:20:41 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin and Jose: discuss about summary doc
14:21:11 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: asks folks from the F2F to look summary over
14:21:17 [josema]
->http://www.w3.org/2009/03/eGov_F2F2_report Summary Report
14:21:44 [josema]
agenda?
14:22:08 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: Please look at summary
14:22:52 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: I will be at World Bank meeting
14:24:10 [josema]
all kudos on Tech Survey should go to my colleague Eric Prud'hommeaux (W3C), I just made a couple comments
14:24:20 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: from meeting with Beth, we now do have attendee list
14:25:07 [josema]
agenda?
14:25:14 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: thanks to all at F2F
14:25:20 [john]
+1 kevin's thanks
14:26:14 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: wants to finish the Multi Channel and we need to give Apr. 15th deadline on this.
14:26:25 [Daniel_Bennett]
" and the other section too
14:26:40 [josema]
RESOLUTION: content for Multi-Channel and Long Term to be provided by April 15th
14:26:51 [josema]
s/"/...
14:27:28 [Daniel_Bennett]
Joe: should govt distribution be part of Multi Channel
14:27:50 [Daniel_Bennett]
seconds the resolution
14:28:34 [josema]
ACTION: Chris to provide content for long term due 2009-04-15
14:28:34 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Chris
14:28:51 [Daniel_Bennett]
Dave seemed to be interested in data standards for Multi
14:28:55 [Daniel_Bennett]
Channel
14:29:20 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: we have hashed out this
14:29:41 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken: willing to write it up
14:30:41 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: lets get just a paragraph done to encapsulate this discussion re: Multi
14:30:46 [josema]
ACTION: Ken to summarize approach to Multi Channel
14:30:46 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-51 - Summarize approach to Multi Channel [on Ken Fischer - due 2009-04-08].
14:30:53 [josema]
agenda?
14:31:03 [Daniel_Bennett]
Ken: agrees to put that paragraph
14:31:20 [josema]
zakim, next agendum
14:31:20 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "2nd Charter and way forward" taken up [from josema]
14:31:28 [josema]
[briefly]
14:32:35 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: lets try to define what we are looking at
14:33:48 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: will be with us as his contract continued to end of year
14:33:54 [Daniel_Bennett]
yea!
14:34:42 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: there is a process for W3C to deal with charter, we need to focus on year 2 issues
14:35:24 [john]
so no implications asking for an extension of a month?
14:35:46 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: no implications if we need the time.
14:35:58 [josema]
AFAIR, shouldn't be any difficult; IIRC extensions are approved by W3M
14:36:06 [josema]
agenda?
14:36:13 [josema]
zakim, next agendum
14:36:13 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "What's going on out there?" taken up [from josema]
14:36:23 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: did an interview with GCN
14:37:01 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: Karen is working on more publicity
14:37:20 [Daniel_Bennett]
... getting more members
14:37:54 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: any more issues?
14:38:16 [Daniel_Bennett]
John: Cloud computing is not mentioned
14:38:27 [Daniel_Bennett]
... perhaps it should be addressed
14:39:02 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: WSJ article last week talking about this
14:39:14 [john]
+1 josema
14:40:02 [Zakim]
-kevin
14:40:03 [john]
good call, thanks everyone
14:40:03 [Daniel_Bennett]
Jose: expecting more conversation with charter next
14:40:06 [Zakim]
-rachel
14:40:07 [Zakim]
-Ken
14:40:08 [Daniel_Bennett]
...week
14:40:16 [Daniel_Bennett]
Kevin: adjourns
14:40:23 [josema]
[ADJOURNED]
14:41:05 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
14:41:05 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/04/01-egov-minutes.html josema
14:41:23 [Daniel_Bennett]
I will get better at this eventually Jose.
14:41:33 [john]
+1
14:42:18 [Zakim]
-josema
14:43:53 [josema]
rrsagent, stop