IRC log of sml on 2009-03-30

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:44:08 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sml
15:44:08 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/03/30-sml-irc
16:23:35 [lencharest]
lencharest has joined #sml
16:27:41 [johnarwe_]
johnarwe_ has joined #sml
16:28:28 [lencharest]
zakim, this will be SML
16:28:28 [Zakim]
ok, lencharest; I see XML_SMLWG()12:30PM scheduled to start in 2 minutes
16:28:39 [lencharest]
Scribe: Len Charest
16:28:45 [lencharest]
ScribeNick: lencharest
16:28:55 [lencharest]
Meeting: SML WG teleconference
16:29:04 [lencharest]
Chair: John Arwe
16:29:44 [Zakim]
XML_SMLWG()12:30PM has now started
16:29:51 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
16:29:59 [lencharest]
zakim, [Microsoft] is me
16:29:59 [Zakim]
+lencharest; got it
16:30:25 [ht]
zakim, please call ht-781
16:30:25 [Zakim]
ok, ht; the call is being made
16:30:26 [Zakim]
+Ht
16:30:28 [lencharest]
rrsagent, make log public
16:30:44 [Kirk]
Kirk has joined #sml
16:31:02 [Sandy]
Sandy has joined #sml
16:31:11 [Zakim]
+Kirk
16:31:36 [Zakim]
+johnarwe_
16:32:52 [Zakim]
+ +1.425.836.aaaa
16:33:12 [Sandy_]
Sandy_ has joined #sml
16:33:17 [Zakim]
+Sandy
16:33:23 [johnarwe_]
zakim, aaaa is kumar
16:33:23 [Zakim]
+kumar; got it
16:33:43 [johnarwe_]
zakim, who's on the phone?
16:33:43 [Zakim]
On the phone I see lencharest, Ht, Kirk, johnarwe_, kumar, Sandy
16:34:43 [Kumar]
Kumar has joined #sml
16:36:34 [lencharest]
Regrets: Ginny
16:37:00 [lencharest]
Topic: Approval of minutes from 3/23
16:37:22 [johnarwe_]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2009Mar/att-0035/20090323-sml-minutes.htm
16:37:34 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: Minutes approved
16:38:03 [lencharest]
Topic: Action Item 210
16:38:17 [lencharest]
Henry is reviewing comments submitted by WG members
16:39:47 [lencharest]
Henry: I've made the suggested changes related to errors of fact
16:39:50 [johnarwe_]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2009Mar/0034.html Arwe comments
16:40:03 [johnarwe_]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2009Mar/0042.html Henry's proposal
16:44:57 [lencharest]
Henry: Comments C1-C4 are relevant to historical docs only
16:45:34 [lencharest]
... recommend that we do not make changes to historical docs
16:46:21 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C1-C4 will be not be applied to historical docs
16:46:52 [lencharest]
Henry: C1-C4 do not apply to current namespace docs
16:47:56 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C5 will not be applied to current docs
16:48:41 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C6 will not be applied to current docs
16:49:01 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C7 will not be applied to current docs
16:50:08 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C8 *WILL* be applied to current docs
16:51:05 [lencharest]
Henry: C9 must be applied; we cannot publish docs with broken links
16:51:12 [lencharest]
No objection from group
16:51:29 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C9 *WILL* be applied to current docs
16:51:50 [lencharest]
John: C10 applies to historical docs only
16:52:35 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C10 *will* be applied to historical docs
16:52:46 [lencharest]
John: C11 has already been implemented
16:54:47 [lencharest]
John: Should we update sml-err namespace docs to fix per C12?
16:55:56 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: Ignore c12 and keep the existing sml-err docs as they are
16:56:17 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C13 *WILL* be applied to current docs
16:57:03 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION C13 *WILL* be applied to historical docs
16:57:20 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C13 *WILL* be applied to historical docs
16:57:46 [lencharest]
Henry: C14 is complete
16:57:54 [lencharest]
Henry: C15 is complete
16:58:09 [lencharest]
John: Propose we ignore C16
16:58:24 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: Ignore C16
16:58:38 [lencharest]
Henry: C17 must be fixed
16:59:03 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C17 WILL be fixed
16:59:13 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: C18 WILL be fixed
17:00:51 [lencharest]
Topic: Bug 6480
17:00:54 [johnarwe_]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2009Mar/0037.html ht email
17:01:23 [Zakim]
-Sandy
17:02:14 [lencharest]
Kumar: Source XML does in fact produce another XML doc
17:02:44 [lencharest]
... in which we need to add by hand the stylesheet ref
17:03:24 [lencharest]
Henry: Sounds good. Close the bug.
17:03:48 [lencharest]
Topic: XLink Note
17:05:17 [lencharest]
Len: We talked through proposed changes last week, but I haven't had time to update the HTML doc.
17:05:24 [lencharest]
Topic: EPR Note
17:05:47 [lencharest]
Kirk: Whither [bracketed references] inline?
17:06:01 [lencharest]
... Ginny suggests following W3 style manual.
17:06:43 [Zakim]
+Ginny_Smith
17:07:02 [ginny]
ginny has joined #sml
17:08:27 [lencharest]
Kirk: See section 7.2 in the manual.
17:09:15 [lencharest]
Len: 7.2 deals with citations to specs that appear in the References section of the doc. What about hyperlinks to "terms of art"?
17:09:53 [lencharest]
Ginny: Are terms of art mentioned in the manual?
17:10:01 [lencharest]
Len: Not that I can find/
17:13:41 [lencharest]
Henry: Experience has shown that hyperlinking everything of interest makes docs hard to read
17:14:40 [lencharest]
Ginny: SML and SML-IF specs do not use brackets around terms of art.
17:15:45 [lencharest]
Len: In that case, I suggest we drop the brackets in order to be consistent with our own specs.
17:16:15 [ginny_]
ginny_ has joined #sml
17:16:27 [lencharest]
John: The editors must resolve this offline.
17:17:12 [lencharest]
Topic: Rec track
17:17:45 [johnarwe_]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2009Mar/0038.html ht's email
17:17:50 [lencharest]
Henry: I spoke to the AC and pinged the reviewer who submitted the forma lobjection
17:19:03 [lencharest]
Henry: I've proposed language in the references which should resolve the objection
17:20:23 [lencharest]
Henry: Implementors MUST support XML 4th edition, MAY support later editions
17:21:24 [lencharest]
Ginny: Sandy pointed out that the namespace is the same for 4th and 5th eds.
17:21:51 [lencharest]
Henry: Sandy found a bug. An erratum has been issued to fix that.
17:22:18 [johnarwe_]
nb: the bug (and erratum) are both on the xml namespaces spec
17:23:51 [lencharest]
Len: Suggest slight rewording from "it is implementation-defined which" to "it is implementation-defined which edition(s) are supported by the implementation".
17:24:26 [lencharest]
Len: That's the very last clause in both references.
17:24:39 [johnarwe_]
Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fourth Edition), T. Bray,
17:24:39 [johnarwe_]
J. Paoli, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen, and E. Maler, Editors. World Wide
17:24:39 [johnarwe_]
Web Consortium, 10 February 1998, revised 16 August 2006. This
17:24:39 [johnarwe_]
edition of the XML 1.0 Recommendation
17:24:39 [johnarwe_]
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816) was the one current at
17:24:39 [johnarwe_]
the time this document went to Candidate Recommendation. The latest
17:24:42 [johnarwe_]
version of XML 1.0 is available at http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/.
17:24:43 [johnarwe_]
Implementations may follow the edition cited or any later
17:24:45 [johnarwe_]
edition(s); it is implementation-defined which.
17:25:30 [lencharest]
Ginny: What's the impact of following 5th ed?
17:26:15 [ginny_]
ginny_ has joined #sml
17:26:38 [lencharest]
... Will a 5th ed. XML processor be able to handle a model authored against 4th ed?
17:27:13 [lencharest]
Henry: Yes.
17:28:26 [lencharest]
RESOLUTION: Wording in references will be changed per Len's suggestion.
17:29:27 [Zakim]
-lencharest
17:29:29 [Zakim]
-Kirk
17:29:30 [Zakim]
-Ginny_Smith
17:29:30 [Zakim]
-kumar
17:29:31 [Zakim]
-Ht
17:29:31 [Zakim]
XML_SMLWG()12:30PM has ended
17:29:32 [Zakim]
Attendees were lencharest, Ht, Kirk, johnarwe_, +1.425.836.aaaa, Sandy, kumar, Ginny_Smith
17:29:47 [lencharest]
rrsagent, draft minutes
17:29:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/03/30-sml-minutes.html lencharest
17:30:39 [lencharest]
zakim, byte
17:30:39 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'byte', lencharest
17:30:44 [lencharest]
zakim, bye
17:30:44 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #sml
17:30:50 [lencharest]
rrsagent, bye
17:30:50 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items