IRC log of sml on 2009-03-16

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:26:14 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sml
16:26:14 [RRSAgent]
logging to
16:26:26 [ht]
zakim, this will be sml
16:26:26 [Zakim]
ok, ht; I see XML_SMLWG()12:30PM scheduled to start in 4 minutes
16:27:06 [ht]
ht has changed the topic to:
16:27:53 [lencharest]
lencharest has joined #sml
16:28:57 [Kirk]
Kirk has joined #sml
16:30:07 [Zakim]
XML_SMLWG()12:30PM has now started
16:30:15 [Zakim]
+ +1.603.823.aaaa
16:30:18 [ht]
zakim, please call ht-781
16:30:19 [Zakim]
ok, ht; the call is being made
16:30:21 [Zakim]
16:31:00 [Zakim]
16:31:10 [lencharest]
zakim, Microsoft is me
16:31:10 [Zakim]
+lencharest; got it
16:31:17 [Kirk]
scribenick: Kirk
16:31:27 [Kirk]
scribe: Kirk Wilson
16:31:47 [Kirk]
chair: John Arwe
16:32:00 [Kirk]
Regrets: Kumar
16:32:23 [Kirk]
Meeting: W3C SML Teleconference
16:32:48 [Kirk]
zakim, who's on the phone?
16:32:48 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +1.603.823.aaaa, Ht, lencharest
16:33:01 [Kirk]
zakim, aaaa is me
16:34:06 [Zakim]
+ +1.845.433.aabb
16:34:07 [Kirk]
rrsagent, make log public
16:34:37 [johnarwe_]
johnarwe_ has joined #sml
16:34:46 [johnarwe_]
zakim, who's on the phone?
16:34:46 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Kirk, Ht, lencharest, +1.845.433.aabb
16:34:51 [johnarwe_]
zakim, aabb is me
16:34:51 [Zakim]
+johnarwe_; got it
16:36:25 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Approval of minutes 3/9
16:37:03 [johnarwe_] (different value vs agenda!)
16:38:10 [Kirk]
RESOLUTION: Approved without objection.
16:38:26 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Notes from CG
16:38:38 [Kirk]
John: Nothing new from this group.
16:38:55 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Action Items.
16:39:19 [Kirk]
John: Zero opened items.
16:40:41 [Kirk]
Henry: RE Action 210. Waiting for WG review before closing it.
16:41:04 [johnarwe_]
16:41:16 [Kirk]
John: Henry needs to add appropriate URLs for review.
16:41:22 [ht]
You could look at e.g.
16:41:34 [Kirk]
WG should review these next week.
16:41:48 [Kirk]
s/there/these for
16:42:07 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Open Issues
16:42:31 [johnarwe_]
16:42:54 [johnarwe_]
preceding is URI of Kumar's email soliciting Henry's feedback on specific items
16:43:28 [Kirk]
Henry: Will answer the email on this issue.
16:44:12 [Kirk]
16:44:48 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Status of Response to Recommendation
16:45:00 [Kirk]
Henry: eight Responses
16:45:40 [Kirk]
Henry: There is one objection: Update references to XML and XML Base.
16:45:46 [Zakim]
16:47:19 [Kirk]
Henry: Reference section contains a dated reference that is not current version of these specs.
16:49:32 [Kirk]
Henry: There are no conformance issues between XML Base 1st and 2nd editions.
16:50:52 [Kirk]
Len: Does this objection block acceptance? Otherwise, it does not seem to be critical.
16:52:16 [Kirk]
Sandy: Needs time to think of the consequences of upgrading.
16:59:45 [Kirk_]
Kirk_ has joined #sml
17:00:06 [Kirk_]
scribe: Kirk_
17:00:46 [lencharest]
Link to XML 5th ed. with changes from 4th ed. highlighted:
17:01:28 [Kirk_]
John: Henry to investigate implications.
17:01:42 [Kirk_]
17:02:06 [Zakim]
17:02:40 [Kirk_]
1. Sandy to investigate impact on Xerces of going with XML 5th ED.
17:03:15 [Kirk_]
2. Henry to investage implications of alternative approaches/check with objector.
17:03:52 [Kirk_]
3. Microsoft: to check what edition of XML their SML development is based on: what trajectory.
17:04:15 [Kirk_]
17:04:30 [Kirk_]
No new comments submitted on this.
17:04:38 [Kirk_]
TOPIC: XLink Note
17:04:48 [johnarwe_]
17:05:49 [johnarwe_]
17:07:38 [Kirk_]
John: Acknowledges that Ginny may have comments on style.
17:08:32 [Kirk_]
Len: Comment 1--common naming convention of SML reference schemes. Call this is SML XLink Scheme.
17:08:55 [Kirk_]
....EPR note should say EPR-based Reference Scheme for SML.
17:09:02 [johnarwe_]
4.3.1 SML URI Reference Scheme
17:10:40 [Kirk_]
John: We should defer until Ginny can attend.
17:10:59 [johnarwe_]
preceding = on changing title of xlink note
17:11:03 [Kirk_]
Comments 2 & 3--following EPR Note.
17:11:16 [Kirk_]
RESOLUTION: Acceptance of these without objection.
17:11:33 [Kirk_]
Comment 4 is the "same" thing again.
17:11:53 [Kirk_]
John: Any objection ot replace words with hyperlinks as per comments 2, 3, & 4.
17:12:17 [Kirk_]
RESOLUTION: Passed with no objections. Objections should be raised at particular points.
17:12:21 [johnarwe_]
17:13:17 [Kirk_]
Comment 5--Merge Note with paragraph
17:13:40 [Kirk_]
RESOLUTION: Consensus amongst those present for the merged form for using "Note".
17:14:36 [Kirk_]
...In general, there is no objection to letting the spec editors work this out with note editors.
17:16:41 [Kirk_]
Comment 6--This is quoted from XLink spec. No objection to accepting the suggested additional wording for clarity.
17:17:13 [Kirk_]
Comment 7--no objection; accepted.
17:18:45 [Kirk_]
Comment 8--Len's suggestion: take each numbered item and each one a subheading and number the subbullets.
17:19:37 [Kirk_]
John: Last week to expressed concern about making the notes look different from the spec.
17:20:02 [Kirk_]
...How strongly do we want to be parallel to the SML spec.
17:20:55 [Kirk_]
Kirk: Prefers to keep parallel for readability
17:21:23 [Kirk_]
John: Suggests the Len get together with the spec editors to resolve this issue.
17:22:00 [Kirk_]
Comment 10--"follow" --> "matches" No objection.
17:22:45 [Kirk_]
Comment 11--add square brackets to designate a hyperlink on square bracket. No objection.
17:23:49 [Kirk_]
John: We should tell people to look through Style, and post notes to the issue. If no comments are posted, that will indicate acceptance of the Style change.
17:24:37 [Kirk_]
Comment 13--"schema of U"
17:25:32 [ht]
HST: Would like "URI scheme"
17:26:30 [Kirk_]
John: Replace "schema" with "URI scheme" No objections.
17:28:31 [Kirk_]
Comment 15 & 16--Reword from SML spec
17:29:20 [Kirk_]
Henry: Wants to look at the text.
17:29:32 [Kirk_]
17:31:38 [Kirk_]
John: SML does not define [base URI].
17:32:10 [Zakim]
17:32:23 [Kirk_]
Henry: We need to give thought where to get the definition of base URI for this note.
17:32:55 [Kirk_]
Adjournment: 1:32 ET
17:33:17 [Kirk_]
rrsagent, generate minutes
17:33:17 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate Kirk_
17:34:01 [Zakim]
17:34:11 [Zakim]
17:34:12 [Zakim]
17:34:12 [Zakim]
XML_SMLWG()12:30PM has ended
17:34:14 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.603.823.aaaa, Ht, lencharest, Kirk, +1.845.433.aabb, johnarwe_, Sandy
17:34:56 [johnarwe_]
johnarwe_ has left #sml
19:00:07 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #sml
19:08:43 [johnarwe_]
johnarwe_ has joined #sml