IRC log of wai-wcag on 2009-03-12

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:00:43 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wai-wcag
20:00:43 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/03/12-wai-wcag-irc
20:00:49 [Ben]
zakim, this will be WAI_WCAG
20:00:49 [Zakim]
ok, Ben, I see WAI_WCAG()3:00PM already started
20:01:09 [Zakim]
+David_MacDonald
20:01:13 [Zakim]
+??P10
20:01:13 [Andi]
Andi has joined #wai-wcag
20:01:30 [Ben]
zakim, ??P10 is Ben_Caldwell
20:01:30 [Zakim]
+Ben_Caldwell; got it
20:01:56 [Ben]
zakim, Ben has Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:01:56 [Zakim]
+Gregg_Vanderheiden; got it
20:01:58 [Zakim]
- +1.443.415.aaaa
20:02:28 [Zakim]
+ +1.443.415.aacc
20:03:18 [Zakim]
+ +1.415.373.aadd
20:03:21 [Ben]
Meeting: WCAG Weekly Telecon
20:04:00 [Ben]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2009JanMar/0056.html
20:04:01 [Sofia]
zakim, +1.415.373.aadd is Sofia_Celic
20:04:01 [Zakim]
+Sofia_Celic; got it
20:04:14 [Ben]
agenda+ Policy on Third Party Techniques
20:04:24 [Ben]
agenda+ Miscellaneous Issues for 26 Feb 2009
20:04:48 [Ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:04:48 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +1.512.286.aabb, David_MacDonald, Ben_Caldwell, +1.443.415.aacc, Sofia_Celic
20:04:50 [Zakim]
Ben_Caldwell has Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:05:19 [Ben]
zakim, 1.512 may be Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:05:19 [Zakim]
sorry, Ben, I do not understand your question
20:05:41 [Ben]
04 01zakim, +1.512.286.aabb may be Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:05:57 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.584.aaee
20:07:47 [Zakim]
+Cooper
20:07:48 [Zakim]
+??P13
20:08:17 [Zakim]
- +1.443.415.aacc
20:08:23 [Ben]
zakim, ??P13 is Katie_Haritos_Shea
20:08:23 [Zakim]
+Katie_Haritos_Shea; got it
20:08:34 [greggvanderheiden]
greggvanderheiden has joined #wai-wcag
20:08:52 [Ben]
zakim, +1.617.584.aaee is Andrew_Kirkpatrick
20:08:52 [Zakim]
+Andrew_Kirkpatrick; got it
20:08:54 [David_MacDonald]
David_MacDonald has joined #wai-wcag
20:08:59 [Ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:08:59 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +1.512.286.aabb, David_MacDonald, Ben_Caldwell, Sofia_Celic, Andrew_Kirkpatrick, Katie_Haritos_Shea, Cooper
20:09:01 [Zakim]
Ben_Caldwell has Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:09:19 [Ben]
zakim, +1.512.286.aabb is Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:09:19 [Zakim]
+Andi_Snow_Weaver; got it
20:09:22 [Zakim]
+ +1.443.415.aaff
20:09:25 [Ben]
RRSAgent, make log world
20:09:38 [Ben]
zakim, +1.443.415.aaff is Bruce_Bailey
20:09:38 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey; got it
20:09:57 [Ben]
scribe: Ben
20:10:16 [Ben]
GV: Deadline for WAI-ARIA Last Call is coming up, please keep in mind.
20:10:20 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:10:27 [Ben]
agenda?
20:10:36 [Ben]
zakim, take up agendum 1
20:10:36 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Policy on Third Party Techniques" taken up [from Ben]
20:10:53 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:11:14 [Ben]
Topic: Policy on Third Party Techniques
20:11:23 [Zakim]
+Alex_Li
20:11:26 [Ben]
round table to gather ideas and comments
20:11:48 [Loretta]
Loretta has joined #wai-wcag
20:12:04 [Ben]
one suggestion was to have one process for all techniques (vs. different processes for external vs. internal)
20:12:12 [Zakim]
+Loretta_Guarino_Reid
20:12:24 [Ben]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2009JanMar/0027.html
20:15:12 [Ben]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2009JanMar/0028.html
20:17:17 [Ben]
may be possible where a technique has been through a process similar to ours to "fast track" externally submitted techniques
20:18:04 [Ben]
current process is to solicit public review/comment on our own techniques
20:18:28 [Ben]
would WCAG WG help external orgs promote public review?
20:19:02 [Tim]
Tim has joined #wai-wcag
20:19:40 [Ben]
RRSAgent, pointer?
20:19:40 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2009/03/12-wai-wcag-irc#T20-19-40
20:20:50 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
20:21:03 [Zakim]
+Alex_Li.a
20:21:24 [Ben]
zakim, [Microsoft] is Cynthia_Shelly
20:21:24 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelly; got it
20:23:46 [Ben]
release call for review (from WG) for both updates to techniques and externally submitted techs.?
20:26:30 [Zakim]
-Alex_Li.a
20:28:03 [Ben]
model W3C translation process? (after work has been completed, W3C sends a 30 day notice calling for review, has already been reviewed to some degree)
20:33:00 [Zakim]
+Tim_Boland
20:35:32 [Ben]
ack Cyn
20:37:29 [MichaelC]
q+ to say we lack the expertise to review external techniques like we did internal ones, which is why we need to offload the process to other organizations, and be confident in that process
20:40:48 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:42:12 [Zakim]
-Tim_Boland
20:43:43 [Zakim]
+Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:43:51 [Ben]
where WG lacks tech expertise to review, etc. working examples of code that can be tested with UA/AT would be helpful
20:44:13 [Loretta]
ack mic
20:44:13 [Zakim]
MichaelC, you wanted to say we lack the expertise to review external techniques like we did internal ones, which is why we need to offload the process to other organizations, and
20:44:16 [Zakim]
... be confident in that process
20:44:18 [MichaelC]
ack me
20:46:29 [Loretta]
ack syn
20:46:33 [Loretta]
ack cyn
20:47:35 [Andi]
q+
20:47:44 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:48:01 [Ben]
ack Andi
20:48:01 [Loretta]
ack a
20:53:36 [David_MacDonald]
David_MacDonald has joined #wai-wcag
20:56:27 [Zakim]
+David_MacDonald.a
20:58:36 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
21:00:28 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
21:02:31 [Zakim]
-Gregg_Vanderheiden
21:02:39 [Zakim]
-Andi_Snow_Weaver
21:13:09 [Ben]
ACTION: Loretta to revise proposal to reflect a standard process for all externally submitted techniques.
21:13:09 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-7 - Revise proposal to reflect a standard process for all externally submitted techniques. [on Loretta Guarino Reid - due 2009-03-19].
21:13:52 [Ben]
zakim, next item
21:13:52 [Zakim]
I see a speaker queue remaining and respectfully decline to close this agendum, Ben
21:13:55 [Ben]
q?
21:14:01 [Ben]
ack Cyn
21:14:06 [Ben]
zakim, next item
21:14:06 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Miscellaneous Issues for 26 Feb 2009" taken up [from Ben]
21:16:31 [Ben]
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20090312misc/results
21:16:42 [Ben]
Topic: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20090312misc/results
21:18:26 [Ben]
RESOLUTION: Accept as amended
21:19:03 [Ben]
Topic: Providing text descriptions to identify validation errors and suggestions for correction
21:23:06 [Ben]
ACTION: Sofia to review examples and suggestions from survey on "Providing text descriptions..." (see http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20090312misc/results#xq2)
21:23:06 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-8 - Review examples and suggestions from survey on \"Providing text descriptions...\" (see http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20090312misc/results#xq2) [on Sofia Celic - due 2009-03-19].
21:23:21 [Ben]
Topic: Opening new windows and tabs only when best from an accessibility perspective
21:24:01 [Ben]
ACTION: David to draft advisory technique, "Opening new windows and tabs only when best from an accessibility perspective"
21:24:01 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-9 - Draft advisory technique, \"Opening new windows and tabs only when best from an accessibility perspective\" [on David MacDonald - due 2009-03-19].
21:24:13 [Ben]
Topic: Conveying form validation messages and suggestions for correction in text
21:27:22 [Ben]
ACTION: Alex to draft a server-side technique based on http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wcag2-techs/2008Jul/0000.html
21:27:22 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-10 - Draft a server-side technique based on http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wcag2-techs/2008Jul/0000.html [on Alex Li - due 2009-03-19].
21:28:05 [Ben]
ACTION: Sofia to revise SCR18 test procedure to focus on client-side validation
21:28:06 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-11 - Revise SCR18 test procedure to focus on client-side validation [on Sofia Celic - due 2009-03-19].
21:29:40 [Ben]
Topic: Specifying borders and layout in CSS to delineate areas of a Web page ...
21:30:13 [Ben]
RESOLUTION: OBE - already covered by C25
21:30:19 [Zakim]
-Katie_Haritos_Shea
21:30:39 [Ben]
Next week, start with: Specifying text and background colors of secondary content such as banners, features
21:31:03 [Ben]
zakim, close this item
21:31:03 [Zakim]
agendum 2 closed
21:31:04 [Zakim]
I see nothing remaining on the agenda
21:31:13 [Zakim]
-Cynthia_Shelly
21:31:13 [Ben]
next teleconference in 2 weeks
21:31:14 [Zakim]
-Andrew_Kirkpatrick
21:31:15 [Zakim]
-Alex_Li
21:31:16 [Zakim]
-Sofia_Celic
21:31:16 [Zakim]
-Loretta_Guarino_Reid
21:31:17 [Zakim]
-David_MacDonald.a
21:31:18 [Zakim]
-Cooper
21:31:22 [Zakim]
-Ben_Caldwell
21:31:43 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
21:31:45 [Ben]
zakim, bye
21:31:45 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were +1.443.415.aaaa, David_MacDonald, Gregg_Vanderheiden, +1.443.415.aacc, Sofia_Celic, Cooper, Katie_Haritos_Shea, Andrew_Kirkpatrick,
21:31:45 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #wai-wcag
21:31:48 [Zakim]
... Andi_Snow_Weaver, Bruce_Bailey, Alex_Li, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Cynthia_Shelly, Tim_Boland
21:31:52 [Ben]
RRSAgent, bye
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
I see 5 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2009/03/12-wai-wcag-actions.rdf :
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Loretta to revise proposal to reflect a standard process for all externally submitted techniques. [1]
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/03/12-wai-wcag-irc#T21-13-09
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Sofia to review examples and suggestions from survey on "Providing text descriptions..." (see http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20090312misc/results#xq2) [2]
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/03/12-wai-wcag-irc#T21-23-06
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: David to draft advisory technique, "Opening new windows and tabs only when best from an accessibility perspective" [3]
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/03/12-wai-wcag-irc#T21-24-01
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Alex to draft a server-side technique based on http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wcag2-techs/2008Jul/0000.html [4]
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/03/12-wai-wcag-irc#T21-27-22
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Sofia to revise SCR18 test procedure to focus on client-side validation [5]
21:31:52 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/03/12-wai-wcag-irc#T21-28-05