IRC log of egov on 2009-01-21

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:50:06 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #egov
13:50:06 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/01/21-egov-irc
13:50:24 [josema]
chair: kevin, john
13:50:48 [josema]
agenda+ Appoint a scribe
13:51:12 [josema]
agenda+ agenda adjustments
13:51:27 [josema]
agenda+ Debrief of recent Kevin/TimBL meeting
13:51:39 [josema]
agenda+ CEN eGov-Share comments sent
13:51:48 [josema]
agenda+ New Use Cases
13:52:04 [josema]
agenda+ Confirmed: 2nd F2F @ AIA (12-13 March 2009)
13:52:16 [josema]
agenda?
13:52:42 [josema]
zakim, move agendum 6 to 4
13:52:42 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'move agendum 6 to 4', josema
13:54:46 [josema]
zakim, order is 1,2,3,6,4,5
13:54:46 [Zakim]
sorry, josema, I do not recognize a party named 'order'
13:55:01 [josema]
agenda order is 1,2,3,6,4,5
13:55:04 [josema]
agenda?
13:55:29 [josema]
agenda+ Editor's draft
13:55:39 [josema]
agenda+ Deadlines and completeness
13:55:49 [josema]
agenda+ Open actions
13:55:58 [josema]
agenda+ Next Meeting
13:56:01 [josema]
agenda?
13:56:37 [josema]
trackbot, start telcon
13:56:39 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
13:56:41 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be EGOV
13:56:41 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see T&S_EGOV()9:00AM scheduled to start in 4 minutes
13:56:42 [trackbot]
Meeting: eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference
13:56:42 [trackbot]
Date: 21 January 2009
13:56:56 [josema]
chair: kevin, john
13:57:35 [kevin]
kevin has joined #egov
13:57:52 [kevin]
I am here on IRC and about to jump on the conference line.
13:58:07 [josema]
hi kevin :)
14:00:23 [Zakim]
T&S_EGOV()9:00AM has now started
14:00:24 [Zakim]
+Josema
14:00:46 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
14:00:46 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Josema
14:00:47 [Zakim]
On IRC I see kevin, RRSAgent, Zakim, josema, trackbot
14:02:40 [Zakim]
+ +1.509.464.aaaa
14:03:15 [josema]
zakim, aaaa is rachel
14:03:16 [Zakim]
+rachel; got it
14:03:27 [Rachel]
Rachel has joined #egov
14:03:42 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
14:03:42 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Josema, rachel
14:03:44 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Rachel, kevin, RRSAgent, Zakim, josema, trackbot
14:03:58 [josema]
zakim, rachel is Rachel
14:03:58 [Zakim]
+Rachel; got it
14:04:25 [john]
john has joined #eGov
14:05:05 [Zakim]
+ +1.202.207.aabb
14:05:27 [Zakim]
+john
14:05:38 [Zakim]
+ +1.301.455.aacc
14:05:40 [josema]
zakim, aabb is kevin
14:05:40 [Zakim]
+kevin; got it
14:05:49 [josema]
zakim, aacc is owen
14:05:49 [Zakim]
+owen; got it
14:06:33 [Zakim]
-Josema
14:07:07 [Zakim]
+berrueta
14:07:52 [josema]
agenda?
14:10:04 [josema]
agenda?
14:10:07 [Owen]
Owen has joined #egov
14:10:27 [john]
I can scribe if Kevin wants to chair?
14:10:50 [josema]
scribe: josema
14:11:01 [josema]
move to next agendum
14:11:01 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Appoint a scribe" taken up [from josema]
14:11:19 [josema]
me takes on scribing
14:11:25 [josema]
move to next agendum
14:11:25 [Zakim]
agendum 1 was just opened, josema
14:11:29 [josema]
close this agendum
14:11:33 [josema]
move to next agendum
14:11:33 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "agenda adjustments" taken up [from josema]
14:11:40 [josema]
close this agendum
14:11:44 [josema]
move to next agendum
14:11:44 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Debrief of recent Kevin/TimBL meeting" taken up [from josema]
14:12:03 [josema]
kevin: met with TimBL at MIT, talked about challenges
14:12:32 [josema]
... eGov activity being long term, challenges of our first year
14:12:54 [josema]
... talked about optimism around Obama
14:13:18 [josema]
... issues paper important for people like new administration in the US
14:13:33 [josema]
... to understand importance of open standards, etc.
14:13:59 [josema]
... Obama also talking about US being recognized as the lead in initiatives
14:14:09 [josema]
... we need to review charter by May
14:14:18 [josema]
... setup agenda for next 1-2 years
14:14:39 [josema]
... overall a good conversation
14:14:59 [josema]
... Tim to give keynote at @@ event, gave him some ideas
14:15:23 [josema]
... also to Karen Myers, speech to focus on openness and transparency
14:15:54 [josema]
... start on capitalizing on opportunities with new US Admin.
14:16:19 [josema]
... also had lunch with KM, talked about our focus on high level issues
14:16:30 [josema]
... the need of coordination with other Groups at W3C
14:17:03 [josema]
... the policy vs. technology differences
14:17:32 [josema]
... the upcoming AC Meeting, much strategic discussion expected
14:18:19 [josema]
... development vs. deployment, need to get a better and bigger picture
14:18:49 [josema]
... talked to TimBL about meeting at TWB back in November 2008
14:19:10 [josema]
... there was discussion about technological issues in developing countries
14:19:23 [josema]
... financial data, government services
14:19:53 [josema]
... Tim thinks it was a great brainstorming session, but not many conclusions yet
14:20:40 [josema]
... TWB championing eGov architecture in dev. countries??
14:21:15 [josema]
... need to work with legacy systems, but also long-term planning and new infrastructure in place
14:21:51 [josema]
agenda?
14:25:06 [josema]
s/@@/TED
14:25:39 [josema]
[connection between open government and open standards]
14:26:27 [josema]
john: interesting how we can make SW work for Gov
14:26:43 [josema]
... there are some practical things that are easy to do and can be done today
14:26:58 [josema]
... that would be the building blocks for future apps
14:27:37 [josema]
owen: any specific actions came out of the meeting?
14:28:49 [josema]
kevin: 1)publish our document, maybe in pieces??, 2)re-charter, 3)asked Tim, others to support our work, 4)funding, emphasized the importance of our work
14:29:17 [josema]
... 5)need to outreach in conferences
14:29:47 [josema]
owen: good, I will think about it and things we could do to support those
14:29:50 [josema]
agenda?
14:30:03 [josema]
move to next agendum
14:30:08 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "Confirmed: 2nd F2F @ AIA (12-13 March 2009)" taken up [from josema]
14:30:29 [josema]
kevin: confirmed meeting at AIA, board room can host up to 65??
14:30:49 [josema]
... calls are good, but some F2F could also help us focus better
14:31:00 [josema]
... on where we are, what we should do, how to move forward
14:31:17 [josema]
... expect it will help energize people
14:31:53 [josema]
... also taking advantage of new US Admin.
14:32:16 [josema]
rachel: I'm disappointed because of not getting more people on calls
14:32:36 [josema]
... understand all very busy, but this is an important and huge topic
14:33:02 [josema]
kevin: agree
14:34:13 [josema]
agenda?
14:34:51 [josema]
owen: I presume people are not in calls because they have more urgent and important things to do
14:35:11 [josema]
... we should try to reflect their issues they are trying to solve in the paper???
14:36:35 [john]
q+
14:36:37 [josema]
... I think it's because people is busy, not because they are not interested
14:36:40 [josema]
q?
14:37:10 [josema]
zakim, take up agendum 7
14:37:10 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "Editor's draft" taken up [from josema]
14:37:25 [josema]
[kevin on document authorship]
14:39:42 [josema]
ack john
14:40:01 [josema]
[jose on authorship, message is coming, sorry for the dealy]
14:40:20 [josema]
john: besides draft, how can we encourage people to attend?
14:40:47 [josema]
... we organized a barcamp recently and 150+ people showed up
14:41:08 [josema]
... seats were gone in just 24 hours??
14:42:04 [ocr]
ocr has joined #egov
14:44:43 [Zakim]
+ +34.98.439.aadd
14:44:54 [josema]
zakim, aaadd is oscar
14:44:54 [Zakim]
sorry, josema, I do not recognize a party named 'aaadd'
14:45:00 [josema]
zakim, aadd is oscar
14:45:00 [Zakim]
+oscar; got it
14:45:05 [ocr]
hi all
14:45:16 [josema]
[jose on lowering barriers as much as possible]
14:45:18 [ocr]
sorry for being late - coming from the never ending meeting :(
14:45:52 [josema]
kevin: yes, room holds 65
14:46:10 [josema]
... if we could have a very good speaker, that could also help
14:46:15 [josema]
owen: any idea on who?
14:46:37 [josema]
kevin: not yet, maybe someone from the Obama administration
14:46:59 [josema]
... tried to get one from the campaign to speak at AIA but everybody too busy right now
14:47:32 [josema]
owen: obviously the head of technology of his transition Team, but probably a long shot
14:47:40 [josema]
kevin: I agree
14:47:51 [josema]
rachel: let me think about it
14:47:59 [josema]
owen: I'll give it some thought, too
14:48:27 [josema]
kevin: reaching out to FIRM, so maybe they would like to participate, too
14:48:38 [josema]
... thanks Owen for putting us in touch, btw
14:48:44 [josema]
owen: ok
14:49:14 [josema]
john: I don't think it would be difficult to get a bunch of people
14:49:31 [josema]
... many people interested in discussing pressing issues
14:50:13 [josema]
... if we can have an easy for people to figure out how to participate
14:50:22 [josema]
... we may use some tools
14:50:47 [josema]
... will use my Twitter
14:51:03 [josema]
[[me did this so far:
14:51:05 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/blog/egov/2009/01/17/egovig_f2f_2
14:51:05 [josema]
http://www.epractice.eu/document/5372
14:51:05 [josema]
http://www.govloop.com/events/w3c-egovernment-interest-group
14:51:05 [josema]
http://events.linkedin.com/pub/29772
14:51:06 [josema]
]]
14:52:02 [josema]
kevin: we may have a PR piece that we could circulate to those
14:52:07 [john]
like always Jose, one step ahead
14:55:12 [josema]
jose: what else to do besides that?
14:55:37 [josema]
kevin: we are doing our best effort, let's outreach to our networks
14:56:14 [josema]
jose: very much believe we need to get the draft out, and things will change for good
14:56:17 [josema]
kevin: agree
14:56:30 [josema]
s/good/better
14:56:51 [john]
Have tweeted: http://twitter.com/johnlsheridan/status/1136357938
14:57:04 [josema]
owen: in my experience, this comes down to 2-3 committed individuals to do the drating
14:57:08 [josema]
s/drating/drafting
14:57:12 [josema]
agenda?
14:57:24 [josema]
zakim, close agendum 6
14:57:24 [Zakim]
agendum 6, Confirmed: 2nd F2F @ AIA (12-13 March 2009), closed
14:57:25 [Zakim]
I see 6 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
14:57:26 [Zakim]
4. CEN eGov-Share comments sent [from josema]
14:57:51 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/2009/01/W3C-CEN-eGov-Share-comments
14:59:43 [josema]
agenda?
15:00:53 [josema]
zakim, take up next agendum
15:00:53 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "CEN eGov-Share comments sent" taken up [from josema]
15:01:01 [josema]
zakim, close this agendum
15:01:01 [Zakim]
agendum 4 closed
15:01:02 [Zakim]
I see 4 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
15:01:03 [Zakim]
5. New Use Cases [from josema]
15:01:05 [josema]
zakim, take up next agendum
15:01:05 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "New Use Cases" taken up [from josema]
15:01:18 [josema]
[[ http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Case_10_-_Persistent_URIs
15:01:19 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Case_11_-_Identification_Authentication
15:01:19 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Case_12_-_Risk_Management_for_Social_Media
15:01:19 [josema]
]]
15:04:09 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/UseCases/
15:10:26 [josema]
[jose on need for stable location]
15:11:06 [josema]
[kevin, john agree]
15:11:31 [josema]
[jose on difference between use cases and case studies]
15:12:37 [josema]
many thanks to Martin Alvarez (W3C.es) for helping me put together the stuff!
15:12:45 [josema]
agenda?
15:13:16 [josema]
[john on government changes and persistence]
15:13:38 [josema]
john: whitehouse.gov as example, fully changed yesterday
15:14:53 [josema]
owen: I haven't realized, but I was trying to find a OMB circular that is not available
15:15:08 [josema]
rachel: maybe at a different address than where it was last night
15:15:29 [josema]
agenda?
15:17:22 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/open
15:18:10 [josema]
ACTION rachel to provide use case on social media
15:18:10 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-42 - Provide use case on social media [on Rachel Flagg - due 2009-01-28].
15:18:24 [josema]
ACTION rachel to provide use case on "plain language"
15:18:25 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-43 - Provide use case on \"plain language\" [on Rachel Flagg - due 2009-01-28].
15:19:09 [josema]
agenda?
15:19:30 [josema]
zakim, take up next agendum
15:19:30 [Zakim]
agendum 8. "Deadlines and completeness" taken up [from josema]
15:19:50 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/ActivityPlan
15:23:15 [josema]
[jose on deadlines]
15:23:33 [josema]
jose: propose 28 February as hard deadline
15:25:25 [josema]
kevin: ok
15:25:27 [josema]
john: ok
15:25:59 [josema]
oscar: also interested in interop
15:26:09 [josema]
jose: I'm putting john, oscar there
15:26:11 [josema]
agenda?
15:26:31 [josema]
take up next agendum
15:26:33 [josema]
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/open
15:27:43 [josema]
agenda?
15:28:06 [josema]
next meeting: 4 Feb
15:28:50 [Zakim]
-kevin
15:28:52 [Zakim]
-owen
15:28:53 [Zakim]
-Rachel
15:28:55 [Zakim]
-josema
15:28:55 [Zakim]
-john
15:29:00 [josema]
[ADJOURNED]
15:31:06 [josema]
zakim, list attendees
15:31:06 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been Josema, +1.509.464.aaaa, Rachel, +1.202.207.aabb, john, +1.301.455.aacc, kevin, owen, +34.98.439.aadd, oscar
15:31:12 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:31:13 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/01/21-egov-minutes.html josema
15:31:16 [Zakim]
-oscar
15:31:18 [Zakim]
T&S_EGOV()9:00AM has ended
15:31:19 [Zakim]
Attendees were Josema, +1.509.464.aaaa, Rachel, +1.202.207.aabb, john, +1.301.455.aacc, kevin, owen, +34.98.439.aadd, oscar
15:42:26 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:42:26 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/01/21-egov-minutes.html josema
16:05:52 [josema]
agenda?
16:06:07 [josema]
next agendum
16:06:17 [josema]
zakim, next agendum
16:06:23 [josema]
zakim, take up next agendum
16:06:24 [Zakim]
agendum 10 was just opened, josema
16:06:30 [Zakim]
agendum 10 was just opened, josema
16:06:39 [josema]
zakim, close agendum
16:06:42 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'close agendum', josema
16:06:47 [josema]
zakim, close this agendum
16:06:47 [Zakim]
agendum 10 closed
16:06:48 [Zakim]
I see nothing remaining on the agenda
16:06:51 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
16:06:51 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/01/21-egov-minutes.html josema
16:25:00 [josema]
zakim, bye
16:25:00 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #egov
16:25:04 [josema]
rrsagent, bye
16:25:04 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items