This is a page for keeping track of notes on the AIDE (Alternate Input Device Events) specification. This specification is intended to define an advanced pointing-device interface, to expose distinct features of specific devices such as pen/tablet inputs and multi-touch trackpads, including gesture-based events.
This is very rough first draft, pulling items from email discussions. It is by no means complete, and is intended to serve as a template for other people to add more information.
- Pinching to zoom into a map
- Dragging an element from one place to another
- Rotating element
- Should reuse existing API wherever possible
- Must include pressure sensitivity
- Must include low-level APIs for position and movement
- Must include multi-touch
- May include high-level gestures, including but not limited to:
- Should consider mapping to legacy events for backwards compatibility with legacy content, if possible (e.g. "swipe left" might have left-arrow key event as default action)
- May include accelerometer / shaking API