ISSUE-4: Should we pre-define some track names?

predefined track names

Should we pre-define some track names?

State:
CLOSED
Product:
Raised by:
Silvia Pfeiffer
Opened on:
2009-03-04
Description:
Source: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2009Mar/0008.html

We can consider it is up to the container format to define the track names. We could recommend that there be a naming scheme such as video[0] ... video[n] and audio[0] ... audio[n] to address multiple a/v tracks, maybe even text[0] ... text[n]. But I don't think they make much sense - it would be better the names chosen had some semantic meaning, such as "video", "sign-language", "audio", "music", "speech", "sound-effects", "audio annotations", "subtitles-en", subtitles-de", "karaoke-en", "lyrics" etc.

And .. yes, at some point somebody should have some standard names for these - in particular for accessibility it would be nice to be able to say through the protocol "I want no audio tracks, but video and sign-language and all text tracks".

Maybe there is a scheme that we need to develop, where the codec type is also part of the naming, e.g. video.sign-language, audio.annotations, video.music etc. We haven't thought much about structure for describing tracks yet.
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 09 June, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-06-08)
  2. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 02 June, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-05-31)
  3. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 26 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-05-26)
  4. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 26 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-05-25)
  5. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 19 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2010-05-19)
  6. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 12 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-05-19)
  7. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 19 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2010-05-19)
  8. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 19 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-05-18)
  9. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 12 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2010-05-12)
  10. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 12 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-05-12)
  11. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 12 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-05-11)
  12. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 05 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2010-05-05)
  13. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 05 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2010-05-04)
  14. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 05 May, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-05-03)
  15. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 28 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-04-27)
  16. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 14 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-04-12)
  17. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 07 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2010-04-07)
  18. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 07 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2010-04-06)
  19. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 07 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-04-06)
  20. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 07 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-04-06)
  21. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 07 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-04-06)
  22. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 31 March, Telecon 0900 UTC (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2010-03-31)
  23. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 31 March, Telecon 0900 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-03-31)
  24. Re: [ERRATA] Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 March, Telecon *0900 UTC* (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-03-17)
  25. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2010-03-16)
  26. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2010-03-16)
  27. Re: [ERRATA] Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 March, Telecon *0900 UTC* (from ylafon@w3.org on 2010-03-16)
  28. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from philipj@opera.com on 2010-03-16)
  29. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2010-03-16)
  30. [ERRATA] Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 March, Telecon *0900 UTC* (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-03-16)
  31. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-03-16)
  32. Spec layering: name-value pairs and beyond (from philipj@opera.com on 2010-03-09)
  33. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 03 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2010-03-03)
  34. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 03 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-03-03)
  35. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 03 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from Franck.Denoual@crf.canon.fr on 2010-03-03)
  36. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 03 March, Telecon 1000 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-03-02)
  37. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 24 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from tmichel@w3.org on 2010-02-23)
  38. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 24 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-02-23)
  39. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-02-16)
  40. RE: Track fragments (from Franck.Denoual@crf.canon.fr on 2010-02-16)
  41. RE: Track fragments (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2010-02-16)
  42. Re: Track fragments (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-02-16)
  43. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 10 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-02-09)
  44. minutes of 2010-02-03 teleconference (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-02-09)
  45. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 3 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-02-03)
  46. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 3 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-02-03)
  47. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 3 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2010-02-03)
  48. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 3 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-02-03)
  49. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 3 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2010-02-03)
  50. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 3 February, Telecon 1000 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-02-03)
  51. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 27 January, Telecon 1000 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2010-01-27)
  52. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 27 January, Telecon 1000 UTC (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2010-01-27)
  53. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 27 January, Telecon 1000 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-01-27)
  54. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 20 January, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  55. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 20 January, Telecon 1000 UTC (from raphael.troncy@cwi.nl on 2010-01-20)
  56. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 13 January, Telecon 1000 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2010-01-13)
  57. Re: !Last phonecall before publication (be part of it)! - Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 16 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-12-16)
  58. Re: !Last phonecall before publication (be part of it)! - Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 16 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-12-15)
  59. Re: !Last phonecall before publication (be part of it)! - Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 16 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-12-15)
  60. !Last phonecall before publication (be part of it)! - Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 16 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-12-14)
  61. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 09 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-12-09)
  62. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 09 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-12-07)
  63. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 02 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-12-02)
  64. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 02 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-12-02)
  65. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 02 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from philipj@opera.com on 2009-12-02)
  66. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 02 December, Telecon 1000 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-12-02)
  67. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 25 November, Telecon 1000 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-11-25)
  68. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 25 November, Telecon 1000 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-11-25)
  69. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 25 November, Telecon 1000 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-11-24)
  70. Re: Discovery of track and named fragment names (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-11-23)
  71. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 18 November, Telecon 1000 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-11-18)
  72. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 07 October, Telecon 0900 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-10-07)
  73. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 07 October, Telecon 0900 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-10-07)
  74. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 07 October, Telecon 0900 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-10-06)
  75. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 30 September, Telecon 0900 UTC *NEW HOUR* (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-09-30)
  76. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 30 September, Telecon 0900 UTC *NEW HOUR* (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-09-28)
  77. Re: minutes of 2009-09-23 teleconference (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-09-25)
  78. Re: minutes of 2009-09-23 teleconference (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-09-23)
  79. minutes of 2009-09-23 teleconference (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-09-23)
  80. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 23 September, Telecon 0900 UTC *NEW HOUR* (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-09-23)
  81. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 9 September, Telecon 1200 UTC (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2009-09-09)
  82. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 9 September, Telecon 1200 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-09-08)
  83. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 9 September, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-09-08)
  84. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 2 September, Telecon 1200 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-09-02)
  85. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 2 September, Telecon 1200 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-09-01)
  86. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 2 September, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-09-01)
  87. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 26 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from tmichel@w3.org on 2009-08-25)
  88. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 26 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2009-08-25)
  89. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 26 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-08-24)
  90. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 19 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-08-19)
  91. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 19 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-08-18)
  92. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 19 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-08-18)
  93. Regrets: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 12 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from golivrin@meraka.org.za on 2009-08-12)
  94. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 12 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-08-11)
  95. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 5 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-08-04)
  96. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 5 August, Telecon 1200 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-08-04)
  97. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 29 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-07-29)
  98. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 29 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-07-29)
  99. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 29 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-07-28)
  100. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 29 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-07-28)
  101. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 29 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-07-28)
  102. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 22 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-07-22)
  103. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 22 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-07-22)
  104. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 15 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2009-07-15)
  105. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 15 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-07-15)
  106. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 15 July, Telecon 1200 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-07-15)
  107. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 24 June, Telecon 1200 UTC (from tmichel@w3.org on 2009-06-24)
  108. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 24 June, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-06-24)
  109. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 June, Telecon 1200 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-06-17)
  110. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 17 June, Telecon 1200 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-06-17)
  111. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 10 June, Telecon 1200 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-06-10)
  112. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 10 June, Telecon 1200 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-06-10)
  113. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 10 June, Telecon 1200 UTC (from ylafon@w3.org on 2009-06-09)
  114. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 10 June, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-06-09)
  115. minutes of 2009-05-20 teleconference (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-05-20)
  116. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 20 May, Telecon 1200 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-05-19)
  117. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 20 May, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-05-19)
  118. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 13 May, Telecon 1200 UTC (from erik.mannens@ugent.be on 2009-05-13)
  119. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 13 May, Telecon 1200 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-05-13)
  120. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 13 May, Telecon 1200 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-05-13)
  121. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 13 May, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-05-12)
  122. minutes of 2009-04-29 teleconference (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-04-29)
  123. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 29 April, Telecon 1200 UTC (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2009-04-29)
  124. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 29 April, Telecon 1200 UTC (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-04-29)
  125. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 29 April, Telecon 1200 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-04-29)
  126. Re: Someone to review my WD chapter? (from Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl on 2009-04-08)
  127. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 08 April, Telecon 1200 UTC *NEW HOUR* (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2009-04-08)
  128. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 08 April, Telecon 1200 UTC *NEW HOUR* (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-04-07)
  129. Re: Someone to review my WD chapter? (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-04-07)
  130. Re: Someone to review my WD chapter? (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-04-07)
  131. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 08 April, Telecon 1200 UTC *NEW HOUR* (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-04-07)
  132. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 01 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from conrad@metadecks.org on 2009-04-01)
  133. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 01 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-04-01)
  134. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 01 April, Telecon 0900 UTC (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-03-31)
  135. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 25 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-03-25)
  136. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 25 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-03-24)
  137. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 18 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from michael.hausenblas@deri.org on 2009-03-18)
  138. Re: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 18 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2009-03-18)
  139. RE: Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 18 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from davy.vandeursen@ugent.be on 2009-03-17)
  140. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 18 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-03-17)
  141. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 11 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-03-10)
  142. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 11 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-03-10)
  143. Media Fragments Working Group: Agenda 11 March, Telecon 0900 UTC: ONE HOUR EARLIER !!! (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-03-10)
  144. Re: ABNF for fragment syntax (from Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl on 2009-03-04)
  145. ISSUE-4 (nessy): Should we pre-define some track names? (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2009-03-04)

Related notes:

At the F2F in Barcelona it was discussed to leave the definition of standard names to a later version of media fragments. For now it should suffice that we allow container formats that are able to provide track references to address them in this way.

Silvia Pfeiffer, 17 Apr 2009, 09:49:18

[conrad]: so i think we discussed not predefining lots of track names, but perhaps predefining "audio" and "video" only: in which case action 73 would be to change issue 4 to "Should we predefine track names for audio and video"

20 May 2009, 12:47:42

Display change log ATOM feed


Raphaƫl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@eurecom.fr>, Erik Mannens <erik.mannens@ugent.be>, Chairs, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Thierry Michel <tmichel@w3.org>, Staff Contacts
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $