From Mobile Web For Social Development (MW4D)
Revision as of 20:02, 23 February 2010 by Jean-gui
This section gathers informations about all types of organizations (NGOs, Internation organizations, public companies, private ones,...) involved in the topics of this wiki.
- The Swedish Program for ICT in DEveloping Region (SPIDER)
- International Development Research Center (IDRC)
- GSMA Development Funds
The department of mobile industry association focusing on the use of mobile in Development
- Opera makes browsers for mobile devices, including Opera mini, a browser designed for very simple phones. It is a binary of about 100kb, working with a free proxy, and provides data compression, to make it functional and useful in many contexts where a ful web browser used to be too expensive to run.
- Tactical Tech
- ICT4D.at - Austrian Network for Information and communication Technologies for Development
- Hello Africa
Hello Africa is the title of an documentary that sets out to illustrate the ongoing mobile phone craze in Africa, particularly in Zanzibar.
- Hello Africa
- Change Group
Change is a group of faculty and students at the University of Washington are working together on projects to fight inequity and poverty across the globe.
OpenROSA (part of Change) is a consortium formed to create open source, standards-based tools for mobile data collection, aggregation, analysis, and reporting. The OpenROSA community includes various orginizations and researchers all united behind a common goal around mobile data collection systems. Many of the consortium members are working on solutions for developing regions, including disease surveillance, household surveys, collection of longitudinal data for electronic medical records, guiding health workers through medical protocols at the point of care, and supporting community health workers. (From Website Description)
- Bridging the Global Digital Divide
A network of four academic projects with a common objective to explore ways to give access to those currently excluded from world telecommunications and digital networks
August 2008-still running
- Technology and Infrastructure for Emerging Region Group - University of California at Berkeley
- Center for Information and Society - University of Washington State "studies the design, use and impact of information and communication technologies (ICTs) on individuals and communities around the world. Our research focuses on disadvantaged and underrepresented populations"
- UC Berkeley School of Information
- Tapan S. Parikh
research focuses on the use of computing to support sustainable economic development across the World
- Tapan S. Parikh
Support and Development Teams
- Development Seed
The common mission of the team is to build creative communications solutions for organizations doing world-changing work. "Our job is to come into your organization, figure out your communications goals, and then get you there. We devise strategies to unclog your communications channels and build tools to help you easily get your messages out to the right audience."
- Open Mobile Consortium
- W3C Mobile Web for Development
The World Wide Web Consortium launched this group in May 2008 to explore the topic of using the Web on mobile phones to bridge the Digital Divide and leverage access to ICT for rural population.
- EU FP7 project Digital World Forum
An EU FP7 project focusing on the use of ICT to leverage economic development in Africa and Latin America
From 1st Jan 2008 till 30 June 2009
- Dgroup on mobile and development
- Oxford university Next Generation Mobile Applications
not dedicated to mDevelopment, but host discussions on this topic from time to time
- Microsoft India Technology For Emerging Markets Team
- The Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship
- Mobile Portal: accelerating the adoption of mobile technologies within the development sector & base of pyramid markets
- Harvard Humanitarian Initiative
- Research ICT Africa