IRC log of egov on 2008-12-10

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:00:00 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #egov
14:00:00 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:00:08 [josema]
trackbot, start telcon
14:00:10 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
14:00:12 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be EGOV
14:00:12 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see T&S_EGOV()9:00AM scheduled to start now
14:00:13 [trackbot]
Meeting: eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference
14:00:13 [trackbot]
Date: 10 December 2008
14:00:23 [josema]
chair: kevin, john
14:00:32 [josema]
regrets: oscar, martin, kjetil
14:00:43 [Zakim]
T&S_EGOV()9:00AM has now started
14:00:44 [Zakim]
14:01:01 [Zakim]
+ +1.202.256.aaaa
14:01:02 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
14:01:03 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Josema, +1.202.256.aaaa (muted)
14:01:05 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, Zakim, darobin, kjetil, josema, trackbot
14:01:24 [josema]
zakim, aaaa is Ari
14:01:24 [Zakim]
+Ari; got it
14:01:33 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
14:01:33 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Josema, Ari
14:01:34 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, Zakim, darobin, kjetil, josema, trackbot
14:02:38 [josema]
zakim, who's noisy?
14:02:48 [Zakim]
josema, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Josema (5%)
14:04:41 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
14:04:41 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Josema, Ari
14:04:42 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, Zakim, darobin, kjetil, josema, trackbot
14:06:44 [john]
john has joined #eGov
14:07:43 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
14:07:43 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Josema, Ari
14:07:45 [Zakim]
On IRC I see john, RRSAgent, Zakim, darobin, kjetil, josema, trackbot
14:09:15 [Zakim]
+ +1.202.501.aabb
14:10:12 [josema]
zakim, aabb is rick
14:10:12 [Zakim]
+rick; got it
14:11:58 [Zakim]
+ +0203334aacc
14:12:11 [josema]
zakim, aacc is john
14:12:11 [Zakim]
+john; got it
14:13:06 [josema]
14:13:21 [josema]
zakim, take up next agendum
14:13:21 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "appoint a scribe" taken up [from josema]
14:13:29 [josema]
scribe: josema
14:13:36 [josema]
again! ;(
14:14:16 [josema]
zakim, take up next agendum
14:14:16 [Zakim]
agendum 1 was just opened, josema
14:14:23 [josema]
zakim, move to next agendum
14:14:23 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "agenda adjustments" taken up [from josema]
14:16:22 [Zakim]
14:16:42 [josema]
[TWB could not secure funding to host joint event with OASIS, so we are not organizing it for now]
14:16:47 [josema]
zakim, move to next agendum
14:16:47 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "outline of first editor's draft" taken up [from josema]
14:27:54 [josema]
[jose explains why the "new" topic areas speaking in gov terms]
14:32:07 [josema]
[john on they are familiar, and we also need to think about the different audiences we target, some even dealing with XSDs]
14:32:21 [josema]
josema: do you miss some big area?
14:32:41 [josema]
john: maybe on government as provider of information, not entirely transparency
14:35:20 [josema]
[we start to find same problem as yesterday, some not only about the topic area where they are, but affecting more]
14:35:47 [josema]
john: some, eg. transparency is about public policy outcome, while interoperability is about tchnology
14:35:58 [josema]
14:36:44 [josema]
... a public policy outcome is a thing like "reducing fraud"
14:39:59 [josema]
... maybe we could use the kind of policy outcomes as a list under every area
14:40:07 [josema]
... and stick to those that are technology challenges
14:41:47 [josema]
josema: I like this idea, we should try it
14:42:08 [josema]
john: we could also list specific examples of countries doing this or that
14:42:32 [josema]
... what they are trying to achieve, when they are confronting the same technology challenges
14:45:44 [josema]
... this needs much discussion in the mailing list
14:45:52 [josema]
... about both points of view
14:46:18 [josema]
... I personally like the list and just have issue with "Participation..." and "Transparency"
14:46:33 [josema]
... they should be written in technology challenges terms
14:47:51 [josema]
john: I'd also like us to mention something beyond current existing challenges
14:48:10 [josema]
... and put something about what they should be looking into for the next 3-5 years
14:51:15 [josema]
rick: from experience in Groups like these key is how it can be effective
14:51:50 [josema]
... what's exactly W3C role here in affecting the eGov echo system of players
14:52:22 [josema]
... I would suggest a focus on what W3C does that is really special about W3c
14:52:45 [josema]
... categorization is common problem, it gets in the message of the way of having the message crafted
14:52:51 [josema]
... and reaching people
14:53:20 [josema]
... is W3C trying to influence a legislator, an administrative leader?
14:53:35 [josema]
... that reduces the context
14:54:04 [josema]
... I suggest some very short term focus on things that can be accomplished
14:54:24 [josema]
... before the Group expires in May
14:54:59 [josema]
... I personally focus on some small problem, knowing that I loose some context
14:55:17 [josema]
... but keeping work alive and achieve a smaller goal
14:55:38 [josema]
john: we wanted to position the Group as mediator between the very technical
14:55:54 [josema]
... stuff that W3C produces and the government needs
14:56:32 [josema]
... touching on things largely unique to W3C
15:03:10 [Zakim]
15:08:53 [josema]
rick: useful discussion, building the paths takes time, happy to discuss further later in time
15:10:20 [josema]
john: let's convene a Group call next week, give time to people to review draft and commment
15:10:22 [josema]
josema: ok
15:10:48 [josema]
RESOLUTION: convene Group call next week, 17 Dec 2008; 14:00Z
15:11:02 [josema]
ACTION: josema to setup conference bridge
15:11:02 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-41 - Setup conference bridge [on José Manuel Alonso - due 2008-12-17].
15:12:43 [josema]
move to next agendum
15:12:43 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "open actions" taken up [from josema]
15:15:26 [josema]
[skipping this one]
15:15:30 [josema]
move to next agendum
15:15:30 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "next meeting" taken up [from josema]
15:15:50 [josema]
[resolved above: 17 Dec 2008; 14:00Z]
15:23:16 [josema]
zakim, who's here?
15:23:16 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Josema, john
15:23:17 [Zakim]
On IRC I see john, RRSAgent, Zakim, darobin, kjetil, josema, trackbot
15:23:29 [josema]
zakim, list attendees
15:23:29 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been Josema, +1.202.256.aaaa, Ari, +1.202.501.aabb, rick, +0203334aacc, john
15:23:38 [josema]
15:23:43 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:23:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate josema
15:24:33 [josema]
chair: john
15:24:36 [josema]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:24:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate josema
15:42:56 [Zakim]
15:42:58 [Zakim]
15:42:58 [Zakim]
T&S_EGOV()9:00AM has ended
15:42:59 [Zakim]
Attendees were Josema, +1.202.256.aaaa, Ari, +1.202.501.aabb, rick, +0203334aacc, john
15:43:03 [josema]
zakim, bye
15:43:03 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #egov
15:43:07 [josema]
rrsagent, bye
15:43:07 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in :
15:43:07 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: josema to setup conference bridge [1]
15:43:07 [RRSAgent]
recorded in