IRC log of mw4d on 2008-12-01

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:40:43 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
12:40:43 [RRSAgent]
logging to
12:40:50 [steph]
Zakim, this will be mw4d
12:40:50 [Zakim]
ok, steph; I see UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM scheduled to start in 20 minutes
12:41:07 [steph]
Meeting: MW4D IG bi-monthly call
12:41:34 [steph]
12:41:38 [steph]
Present: Stephane
12:41:41 [steph]
12:54:37 [kiwanja]
kiwanja has joined #mw4d
12:56:08 [steph]
zakim, code ?
12:56:08 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
12:56:12 [Raphael]
Raphael has joined #mw4d
12:56:13 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has now started
12:56:20 [Zakim]
12:56:37 [steph]
Hello all
12:57:03 [steph]
zakim, who is here ?
12:57:03 [Zakim]
On the phone I see steph
12:57:05 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Raphael, kiwanja, RRSAgent, Zakim, steph
12:57:50 [rscullin]
rscullin has joined #mw4d
12:58:38 [Zakim]
12:58:52 [steph]
12:59:11 [Adesina]
Adesina has joined #mw4d
12:59:35 [Adesina]
Hello, I will not be able to join on voice today
12:59:44 [steph]
ok adesina
13:00:08 [Adesina]
13:00:23 [kiwanja]
hi all
13:01:44 [Zakim]
13:01:44 [Adesina]
Hi Ken
13:02:00 [steph]
zakim, ??p3 is Ken
13:02:01 [Zakim]
+Ken; got it
13:03:31 [steph]
Richard ?
13:03:36 [Zakim]
+ +1.509.432.aaaa
13:03:42 [bgillis]
bgillis has joined #mw4d
13:03:48 [Zakim]
+ +1.413.458.aabb
13:04:06 [Zakim]
13:04:33 [Zakim]
13:04:44 [steph]
zakim, zakim, code ?
13:04:44 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, steph.
13:04:48 [steph]
zakim, code ?
13:04:48 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
13:05:23 [kiwanja]
zakim, who is here?
13:05:23 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Raphael, Ken, +1.509.432.aaaa, +1.413.458.aabb, Lauri
13:05:26 [Zakim]
On IRC I see bgillis, Adesina, rscullin, Raphael, kiwanja, RRSAgent, Zakim, steph
13:05:27 [Zakim]
13:05:35 [Zakim]
+ +2783302aacc
13:05:36 [Adesina]
I am here
13:05:43 [steph]
13:05:48 [steph]
13:06:01 [steph]
13:06:15 [steph]
zakim, aacc is Richard
13:06:15 [Zakim]
+Richard; got it
13:06:31 [steph]
zakim, aabb is Sean
13:06:31 [Zakim]
+Sean; got it
13:07:14 [steph]
13:07:48 [steph]
13:08:38 [steph]
Topic: approval of minutes
13:08:45 [Raphael]
13:08:50 [steph]
Ken: approved ?
13:09:02 [steph]
13:09:08 [steph]
13:09:16 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes public
13:09:16 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'make minutes public', steph. Try /msg RRSAgent help
13:09:21 [steph]
rrsagent, make log public
13:09:32 [steph]
Topic: action items
13:09:36 [steph]
ken: Arun missing
13:10:23 [steph]
13:11:12 [Adesina]
I endorse the minute
13:11:30 [kiwanja]
Also worth taking a look at this as a voice/SMS service -
13:12:29 [Raphael]
looks interesting, thanks
13:13:31 [steph]
ken: ACTION: stephane to start mail discussion on the organization of
13:13:31 [steph]
the work
13:13:34 [steph]
stephane: done
13:13:45 [steph]
ken: Lauri to report on Nokia work in education cursus in
13:13:45 [steph]
13:14:12 [kiwanja]
13:14:36 [steph]
Sean: nokia in south africa experience
13:14:51 [steph]
working with the ministry of education
13:15:03 [steph]
using mixit
13:15:11 [kiwanja]
13:15:12 [kiwanja]
13:15:21 [steph]
and integrate content for tutors and students
13:15:54 [steph]
result in April
13:16:12 [steph]
stephane: material on the web ?
13:16:20 [steph]
sean: not yet, just approved
13:16:25 [steph]
no public announcement yet
13:16:32 [kiwanja]
13:16:38 [steph]
13:16:46 [Adesina]
Looking forward to the Nokia report
13:17:02 [steph]
Richard: how do you assess the program
13:17:13 [steph]
and what is the subject of the content
13:17:17 [steph]
sean: mathematics
13:17:31 [steph]
delivering locla SA curricula
13:17:32 [Adesina]
mobile for mathematics?
13:17:54 [Adesina]
13:17:59 [kiwanja]
13:18:01 [steph]
and there is an assessment methodology and they will assess the results
13:18:39 [kiwanja]
13:18:44 [steph]
ack steph
13:19:53 [steph]
Topic: workshop announcement
13:21:59 [steph]
13:22:05 [kiwanja]
13:23:42 [Adesina]
The workshop looks interesting, what date, venue?
13:23:53 [steph]
1-2 april 2009
13:23:53 [kiwanja]
13:23:55 [steph]
13:23:57 [kiwanja]
13:25:28 [Raphael]
I'll do my best!
13:25:31 [Raphael]
to attend
13:25:32 [steph]
stephane: may be we could organzie a group f2f around this event (day before or day after)
13:25:37 [kiwanja]
would be good to see you there raphael!
13:25:40 [steph]
if critical mass available
13:25:41 [rscullin]
not right now....
13:26:00 [steph]
so please promote and disseminate the information
13:26:15 [steph]
ken: good ot get feedback from southern africa
13:26:15 [Raphael]
will do
13:26:38 [steph]
Topic: roadmap work
13:27:03 [Adesina]
Ken, any financial support to attend?
13:27:13 [steph]
will depend on the sponsors
13:27:18 [kiwanja]
13:27:18 [steph]
for now no sponsor
13:27:25 [steph]
13:27:32 [Adesina]
kindly keep me in mind if any, I will like to attned
13:27:39 [steph]
ok submit a paper so
13:27:42 [steph]
and say so
13:29:11 [Raphael]
I'm willing to work on the Agriculture group
13:29:22 [Raphael]
anyone else?
13:29:29 [steph]
stephane: good to share work
13:29:57 [kiwanja]
13:29:58 [steph]
people should sing for some of the item
13:30:05 [steph]
13:30:09 [steph]
ack steph
13:30:13 [Raphael]
I'll reply to Steph's email in order to share to group list (100+ people?)
13:31:04 [steph]
stephane: will put raphael on agriculture
13:31:14 [steph]
i will put myself for SMS/voice and web
13:31:36 [kiwanja]
13:31:43 [steph]
other volunteers welcome to sign for some of the items
13:32:29 [kiwanja]
13:32:35 [steph]
ACTION: member of the group to read the proposed shared work
13:32:50 [kiwanja]
13:33:08 [steph]
Topic: AoB
13:33:17 [Adesina]
I will introduce to soemone based in Ghana on Agriculuture
13:33:23 [steph]
Ken: who is going to M4D meeting in sweden in December ?
13:33:29 [steph]
no response
13:33:30 [Raphael]
13:33:36 [steph]
13:33:41 [Adesina]
I am already under Health
13:34:07 [steph]
Raphael: was in liberia 2 weeks ago, found that literacy is very important
13:34:17 [kiwanja]
13:34:28 [Adesina]
Yes, I am going to M4D too, have a paper I am still working on
13:34:40 [kiwanja]
thanks adesina
13:35:34 [Adesina]
13:35:47 [steph]
steph: 2 trends: using voice, and using iconic languages
13:35:52 [steph]
lots of litterature
13:36:03 [kiwanja]
is google voice search any good/worth looking at?
13:36:15 [steph]
ken: how does solve the problem ?
13:36:28 [kiwanja]
thinking about the technology behind it
13:36:38 [steph]
raphael: usually passing the phone to someone else if available. otherwise they are stuck
13:38:10 [steph]
13:38:24 [kiwanja]
13:38:33 [Raphael]
13:38:54 [Zakim]
- +1.509.432.aaaa
13:41:13 [kiwanja]
13:42:29 [Adesina]
no thread on the chat?
13:42:43 [steph]
Topic: coping with illiteracy
13:43:04 [steph]
raphael: a huge problem in my current project in liberia. any idea ?
13:43:41 [steph]
stephane: 3 options i'm aware of: voice apps, graphical iconic languages, text-to-speech
13:44:03 [steph]
raphael: working with a consultant will report back to the list
13:44:10 [Adesina]
yes, illiteracy is a problem and that is why contextually relevant iconic languages might be the way to go
13:44:15 [kiwanja]
13:44:19 [steph]
13:44:55 [Adesina]
voice in local language also relevant and alos converting speech to text
13:44:56 [steph]
stephane: other challenges ?
13:45:39 [Adesina]
Steph, put me under health
13:45:50 [steph]
raphael: there are other issues than just only information but e.g. the bad roads are also an issue
13:45:59 [steph]
adesina, thanks ok !
13:46:22 [Adesina]
generally infrastructure like road, telecom, electricity are bad
13:46:39 [kiwanja]
13:47:12 [kiwanja]
adesina - any questions?
13:47:57 [steph]
raphael: discovered also that people are NOT using airtime as a currencyd
13:48:03 [steph]
despite what i expected
13:48:41 [steph]
steph: what is your objective with your pilot ? releasing a summary of findings ?
13:48:51 [steph]
raphael: why not
13:49:49 [steph]
steph: could be good to get direct feedback
13:50:20 [steph]
raphael: ok, put me in the next teleconference to introduce my project
13:50:35 [steph]
ken: good to hear back from conferences
13:50:53 [kiwanja]
13:50:56 [steph]
ken: how does people keep track on all the ativites going on ?
13:51:11 [steph]
Rapahel: our group is good imho
13:51:20 [steph]
the wiki is very good
13:51:43 [Adesina]
no question
13:51:44 [steph]
we could do more, but a good start
13:52:23 [kiwanja]
13:52:27 [steph]
ken: anything more before wrapping up ?
13:52:40 [steph]
ken: done !
13:52:57 [steph]
stephane: next call DEcember 15 !
13:52:58 [Raphael]
Adesina, do you have access to the wiki and the M-Health part?
13:53:05 [Adesina]
what plan do we have to take this forward?
13:53:07 [Raphael]
feed it!
13:53:09 [Raphael]
13:53:18 [Adesina]
let me see
13:53:19 [Raphael]
13:53:37 [steph]
adesina: how to move forward is described in
13:54:16 [steph]
the idea is that you look at the health apps/project ongoing and trying to identify some specificities or generalized findings
13:54:18 [Raphael]
thank you
13:54:18 [rscullin]
Thanks. This was great.
13:54:27 [Raphael]
we'll prepare for next time!
13:54:27 [Zakim]
13:54:32 [Zakim]
13:54:34 [Zakim]
13:54:35 [Zakim]
13:54:35 [Zakim]
13:54:49 [Zakim]
13:54:50 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has ended
13:54:51 [Zakim]
Attendees were steph, Raphael, Ken, +1.509.432.aaaa, +1.413.458.aabb, Lauri, +2783302aacc, Richard, Sean
13:54:57 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
13:54:57 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate steph
13:55:29 [Adesina]