IRC log of mw4d on 2008-11-17

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:40:32 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
12:40:33 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-mw4d-irc
12:40:37 [steph]
zakim, this will be mw4d
12:40:37 [Zakim]
ok, steph; I see UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM scheduled to start in 20 minutes
12:44:28 [steph]
Meeting: MW4D bi-monthly teleconference
12:44:33 [jeffs]
jeffs has joined #mw4d
12:44:50 [steph]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2008Nov/0047.html
12:44:53 [steph]
Hi Jeffs
12:45:14 [steph]
:)
12:56:45 [Raphael]
Raphael has joined #mw4d
12:57:10 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has now started
12:57:12 [Zakim]
+jeffs
12:57:17 [steph]
zakim, code ?
12:57:17 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
12:57:44 [Zakim]
+steph
12:58:05 [steph]
Present: Jeffs, Stephane
13:00:10 [Zakim]
+Raphael
13:00:31 [steph]
Present+Raphael
13:02:50 [NChevrollier]
NChevrollier has joined #mw4d
13:03:39 [Arun]
Arun has joined #mw4d
13:03:56 [Zakim]
+ +31.62.247.aaaa
13:04:35 [Zakim]
+Lauri
13:05:07 [steph]
Present+Lauri
13:05:12 [steph]
PResent+Nicolas
13:05:31 [Zakim]
+ +91.11.41.29.aabb
13:05:41 [steph]
zakim, aaaa is Nicolas
13:05:41 [Zakim]
+Nicolas; got it
13:05:47 [steph]
Zakim, aabb is Arun
13:05:47 [Zakim]
+Arun; got it
13:06:07 [Raphael]
ok
13:06:16 [Raphael]
to scribe
13:06:40 [steph]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mw4d/2008Nov/0047.html
13:06:45 [steph]
Scribe: Rapahel
13:07:06 [steph]
Topic: minutes apprval
13:07:10 [jeffs]
+1
13:07:23 [steph]
agreed
13:07:26 [steph]
Topic: Action
13:08:10 [Raphael]
Feedback on mtg from Lauri not yet
13:08:16 [Raphael]
available
13:08:34 [Renjish]
Renjish has joined #mw4d
13:08:44 [Raphael]
Steph keeps the action open regarding profile of participants
13:09:29 [Raphael]
Steph: on scheduling mtgs
13:09:57 [Raphael]
Topic one: strengthen the strategy to get more work done
13:10:11 [Zakim]
+ +1.312.799.aacc
13:10:19 [steph]
zakim, aacc is Renjish
13:10:19 [Zakim]
+Renjish; got it
13:10:29 [Lauri]
Lauri has joined #mw4d
13:10:40 [steph]
Present+Renjish
13:10:53 [steph]
Topic: Presentation Voikiosk by Arun Kumar
13:11:11 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2008/11/Voikiosk-17Nov2008.PDF
13:12:53 [Raphael]
Arun: on the slide presentation
13:13:04 [Raphael]
15 to 20 presentation
13:14:06 [steph]
s/20/20 minutes/
13:18:17 [jeffs]
like the idea of "Information Literacy" rather than "Computer Literacy"
13:18:32 [steph]
me too, very interesting concept
13:19:20 [jeffs]
what level of local tech is needed to support a voicesite? voicegen software?
13:20:43 [Raphael]
Would regional accents be a problem for voice recognition systems?
13:21:14 [Raphael]
+1
13:21:34 [steph]
steph question: how to update a homepage (author recognition)
13:22:14 [jeffs]
jeffs question: what level of local tech is needed to support a voicesite? same question for voicegen software?
13:23:00 [Raphael]
My phone in is weak for voice transmission right now
13:23:21 [steph]
zakim, who is making noise ?
13:23:33 [Zakim]
steph, listening for 12 seconds I heard sound from the following: Nicolas (4%)
13:24:19 [NChevrollier]
any better?
13:24:27 [steph]
zakim, who is making noise ?
13:24:46 [Zakim]
steph, listening for 12 seconds I could not identify any sounds
13:24:56 [steph]
sounds good
13:25:17 [Raphael]
A voice site would be very useful for our current project in Liberia
13:27:14 [steph]
question: what is required to run the service, is the software free/open source ?
13:27:35 [Raphael]
you did tell me in Sao Paulo.. :)
13:28:01 [jeffs]
question 2 from jeffs: what is accuracy/error rate for this in field tests?
13:29:16 [Renjish]
question: is there a translation facility to access the same site as a normal web page?
13:29:18 [NChevrollier]
question: from first pilots, what types of services are the most promissing? who is the most likely to use this system?
13:31:59 [Raphael]
The system would be usefull for the http://www.questionbox.org/
13:34:48 [Raphael]
Arun: opening to questions
13:35:16 [Raphael]
Steph: open the floor for questions which were collected during presentation
13:35:31 [Lauri]
q+
13:35:45 [steph]
q+ Renjish
13:35:50 [steph]
q+rapahel
13:35:55 [steph]
q+steph
13:36:00 [jeffs]
jeffs question: what level of local tech is needed to support a voicesite? same question for voicegen software?
13:36:43 [Raphael]
Jeff: What technology is required?
13:37:06 [jeffs]
the central server site... what level of local tech needed to support that?
13:37:24 [Raphael]
Raphael: if anyone can help me catching what Arun says, thank you
13:37:37 [jeffs]
what is cost of voice server s/w & h/w as vs normal website?
13:38:00 [steph]
good question, depends on the technology
13:38:24 [jeffs]
question 2 from jeffs: what is accuracy/error rate for this in field tests?
13:38:31 [Arun]
In terms of h/w
13:38:38 [Arun]
we use genesys voice browser
13:38:42 [Arun]
tomact app server
13:38:50 [Raphael]
Thank you
13:38:52 [Arun]
IBM WVS Speech server
13:39:02 [jeffs]
so a fair bit more tech needed locally & tech support skills
13:39:40 [Raphael]
http://www.questionbox.org/
13:39:47 [steph]
zakim ack raphael
13:39:51 [steph]
zakim, ack raphael
13:39:51 [Zakim]
I see Lauri, Renjish, rapahel, steph on the speaker queue
13:40:01 [steph]
zakim, ack rapahel
13:40:01 [Zakim]
I see Lauri, Renjish, steph on the speaker queue
13:40:07 [NChevrollier]
q+
13:40:09 [Raphael]
q-
13:40:27 [steph]
ack renjish
13:40:46 [jeffs]
q+
13:40:47 [Raphael]
Arun: inputs and outputs are taken by voice
13:40:52 [steph]
renjish: translation, multi channel access
13:40:59 [steph]
to normal web access
13:41:10 [steph]
Arun: we are trying to work on it
13:41:55 [Raphael]
Arun: support to people wanting to create their own applications
13:42:05 [Raphael]
tools for these people
13:43:01 [Raphael]
Arun: generic voicesite can be given and then later tailored to specific needs
13:43:01 [steph]
arun: there are templates
13:44:17 [steph]
zakim, ack lauri
13:44:17 [Zakim]
I see steph, NChevrollier, jeffs on the speaker queue
13:44:48 [Raphael]
Steph: voice browser includes speech recognition engine?
13:44:52 [Raphael]
Arun: yes
13:45:25 [Raphael]
Steph: any test with simpler voice browsers without voice recogn.?
13:46:09 [Renjish]
This is why I feel that speech processing may not be matured enough to handle all kinds of nuances
13:46:12 [jeffs]
zakim, who is on the queue?
13:46:12 [Zakim]
I see steph, NChevrollier, jeffs on the speaker queue
13:46:14 [Raphael]
Raphael: missing what Aruns answers...
13:46:19 [Raphael]
sorry
13:47:10 [Renjish]
:)
13:47:12 [Raphael]
Steph: is the system completely integrated? is it modular?
13:47:35 [Raphael]
Arun: not in release stage yet
13:47:41 [Raphael]
working on it
13:47:44 [steph]
q?
13:47:52 [steph]
zakim, ack steph
13:47:52 [Zakim]
I see NChevrollier, jeffs on the speaker queue
13:48:12 [Raphael]
Nicolas: who is using the system, in the pilot(s)?
13:48:33 [Raphael]
Arun: being run by farmers
13:48:37 [Raphael]
used, sorrx
13:48:47 [Raphael]
run by a foundation?
13:49:11 [jeffs]
q?
13:49:16 [jeffs]
question 2 from jeffs: what is accuracy/error rate for this in field tests?
13:49:22 [steph]
ack NChevrollier
13:49:26 [steph]
ack jeffs
13:49:50 [Raphael]
Arun: no real study on it yet
13:50:08 [Raphael]
most of the usage is yes/no answers
13:51:26 [Raphael]
Jeff: You said it is preferable to SMS. SMS is preferred for the moment, do you have more arguments for voice?
13:51:45 [Renjish]
literacy can be an issue in SMS in my opinion
13:52:00 [jeffs]
so discomfort is about literacy issue, not technology?
13:52:00 [steph]
ubiquitously available, literacy
13:52:09 [steph]
ability to get a free number
13:52:51 [Raphael]
Steph: voice is as ubiquitous as SMS, or more
13:52:59 [Raphael]
on existing phones
13:53:10 [Raphael]
especially on fixed phones
13:53:13 [jeffs]
thinking about PRC experience with emergence of SMS-only accounts, not happening in India?
13:53:39 [Renjish]
we can do reverse billing for pull SMS
13:54:27 [Lauri]
q+
13:54:48 [Raphael]
Missed Arun points again. Anyone can sum up?
13:54:56 [Raphael]
thanks
13:55:11 [Renjish]
q+
13:55:23 [steph]
ack Lauri
13:55:47 [Raphael]
yes
13:56:08 [Raphael]
thanks Arun
13:56:21 [Arun]
We intend to expand since the foundation is very excited about this.
13:56:45 [Arun]
They want to expand not only in terms of villages but also services.
13:56:50 [steph]
renjish:scalability issues ?
13:56:53 [Raphael]
Renjish: Will it be plug and play or more complex
13:57:21 [steph]
Arun: dialect issues will be managed
13:58:31 [steph]
zakim, close the queue
13:58:31 [Zakim]
ok, steph, the speaker queue is closed
13:59:11 [jeffs]
what action do we wish to take on this report?
13:59:37 [steph]
i see that in the voice apps section if should appears in the lists of tools/solution
13:59:52 [steph]
s/if/it/
14:00:19 [Raphael]
I will check interest for such a solution in Monrovia in three days.
14:00:27 [Lauri]
We should add this Voice-WEB-technology as one option to our list of "working solutions" to offer services.
14:00:44 [Arun]
We have restricted the amount of voice input that needs to be recognized
14:01:25 [Raphael]
RaphaŽl: I can engage to give feedback to the group, during our next meeting.
14:01:49 [steph]
ACTION: Arun to make a summary of voikiosk
14:02:18 [Raphael]
Steph: next call: Dec. 1
14:02:23 [steph]
ACTION: stephane to start mail discussion on the organization of the work
14:02:45 [steph]
http://www.worldbank.org/edevelopment/live
14:02:53 [steph]
Enabling Mobile Transformation in Africa ‚Äď the discussion will focus on the Next-Generation of Mobile Services for Government, Health and the Financial Sector.
14:03:06 [Raphael]
Seph: session organized by the World Bank tomorrow
14:03:23 [Raphael]
Thank you
14:03:27 [Renjish]
Thanks
14:03:29 [Renjish]
bye
14:03:31 [Zakim]
-Lauri
14:03:32 [Zakim]
-Nicolas
14:03:33 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
14:03:33 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-mw4d-minutes.html steph
14:03:33 [Arun]
Thanks
14:03:36 [Zakim]
-steph
14:03:37 [Zakim]
-Raphael
14:03:40 [NChevrollier]
tx
14:03:43 [Zakim]
-Arun
14:03:43 [steph]
Thanks arun for the presentation
14:03:46 [Zakim]
-jeffs
14:03:54 [steph]
yes ?
14:03:54 [Zakim]
-Renjish
14:03:55 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has ended
14:03:57 [Zakim]
Attendees were jeffs, steph, Raphael, +31.62.247.aaaa, Lauri, +91.11.41.29.aabb, Nicolas, Arun, +1.312.799.aacc, Renjish
14:04:06 [Raphael]
Thanks to all for completing my scribe work
14:04:09 [Raphael]
...
14:04:12 [Lauri]
exit
14:04:23 [steph]
Jeffs ?
14:04:42 [jeffs]
still here
14:05:06 [jeffs]
just wanted to urge that interesting reports like this lead to actions the group can take
14:05:20 [jeffs]
concerned that as info piles up on site things will get "lost"
14:05:50 [steph]
yes i agree
14:05:53 [jeffs]
IMHO: the more we take reports and then find actions to followup, the more we will engage the participants
14:06:39 [steph]
yes exactly i will try to summarize the few steps we could have to organze a bit better the roadmap
14:06:50 [steph]
and try to identify some area for further works
14:06:51 [jeffs]
want to engage participants, move beyond passive listening to reports while reading slides
14:07:14 [jeffs]
not trying to be a pain in the butt, just want to focus us on things ppl can actually *do* for the gorup
14:07:18 [steph]
i believe that having a presentation and live discussions seems an interesting model
14:07:31 [steph]
like today
14:07:42 [steph]
i'm welcoming all suggestions
14:07:52 [jeffs]
yes, but think they need to lead to actions somehow
14:07:58 [steph]
this is helpful
14:08:23 [steph]
except having a summary, what kind of actions would you liked to see ?
14:08:26 [jeffs]
okay, not a criticism... just a process observation... want ppl to see this group as something they are enthusiastic about doing things for
14:08:34 [steph]
+1
14:09:03 [jeffs]
if one presents a report, one might also say "what I think we (as a group) should now do with this info"
14:09:28 [steph]
right
14:09:30 [jeffs]
that sort of action
14:09:58 [steph]
this report for me leads to the consideration of a voice section in the report
14:10:06 [jeffs]
okay, just my process comment...
14:10:11 [jeffs]
so in this example)
14:10:11 [steph]
ok
14:10:32 [jeffs]
okay... I must go too
14:13:44 [steph]
rrsagent, excuse us
14:13:52 [steph]
rrsagent, make log public
14:13:54 [steph]
rrsagent, excuse us
14:13:54 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-mw4d-actions.rdf :
14:13:54 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Arun to make a summary of voikiosk [1]
14:13:54 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-mw4d-irc#T14-01-49
14:13:54 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: stephane to start mail discussion on the organization of the work [2]
14:13:54 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/11/17-mw4d-irc#T14-02-23