IRC log of sml on 2008-10-02

Timestamps are in UTC.

18:00:38 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sml
18:00:38 [RRSAgent]
logging to
18:00:44 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #sml
18:01:30 [pratul]
Agenda at
18:01:52 [pratul]
John's update to agenda at
18:02:37 [Kumar]
I am trying to dial in but zakim keeps on disconnecting me.
18:03:09 [Kirk]
zakim, who's on the phone?
18:03:09 [Zakim]
sorry, Kirk, I don't know what conference this is
18:03:10 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, pratul, Kirk, Kumar, MSM, trackbot
18:03:33 [Kirk]
zakim, this is #sml
18:03:33 [Zakim]
sorry, Kirk, I do not see a conference named '#sml' in progress or scheduled at this time
18:03:49 [Kirk]
zakim, this is sml
18:03:49 [Zakim]
ok, Kirk; that matches XML_SMLWG()2:00PM
18:04:10 [Sandy]
Sandy has joined #sml
18:04:35 [Zakim]
18:04:52 [johnarwe_]
johnarwe_ has joined #sml
18:05:15 [Zakim]
18:05:28 [Zakim]
18:05:40 [pratul]
Zakim, Microsoft is me
18:05:40 [Zakim]
+pratul; got it
18:05:54 [johnarwe_]
zakim, who's on the phone?
18:05:54 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P10, johnarwe_, Kumar, pratul
18:06:01 [Sandy_]
Sandy_ has joined #sml
18:06:22 [Zakim]
18:06:33 [Zakim]
18:06:34 [Kirk]
zakim, who's on the phone?
18:06:34 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P10, johnarwe_, Kumar, pratul, Sandy, Ginny_Smith
18:06:45 [ginny]
ginny has joined #sml
18:06:56 [Kirk]
zakim, ??P10 is me
18:06:56 [Zakim]
+Kirk; got it
18:07:40 [Sandy_]
meeting: W3C SML Teleconference of 2008-10-02
18:07:47 [Sandy_]
scribenick: Sandy
18:07:49 [Sandy_]
scribe: Sandy Gao
18:09:01 [Sandy_]
chair: Pratul Dublish
18:09:35 [MSM]
zakim, please call MSM-617
18:09:35 [Zakim]
ok, MSM; the call is being made
18:09:36 [Zakim]
18:10:11 [Sandy]
18:10:46 [Sandy]
topic: Approval of minutes from previous meeting
18:11:05 [Sandy]
Kumar: Kirk has a suggestion.
18:11:21 [Sandy]
Krik: didn't mean to update the minutes.
18:11:34 [johnarwe_]
kirk's suggestion is in the email at
18:11:54 [Sandy]
RESOLUTION: approve 2008-09-25 telecon minutes at
18:12:33 [johnarwe_]
note also agenda updates requested in
18:16:53 [Sandy]
topic: Action items
18:18:14 [Sandy]
Neither action is done. ETA Oct. F2F.
18:22:10 [Sandy]
topic: F2F logistics
18:23:10 [Sandy]
All: would like a WG dinner. Tentatively prefer Monday.
18:23:41 [Sandy]
topic: Interop test plan discussion
18:24:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate Sandy
18:26:03 [johnarwe_]
9/25 draft is at
18:27:18 [Sandy]
The latest draft is available at
18:27:57 [Sandy]
John: on issue #5 Need test cases for validation of SML-IF format
18:28:07 [Sandy]
Kumar: answer should be "yes".
18:28:12 [Sandy]
Ginny: I agree.
18:29:11 [Sandy]
RESOLUTION: WG agreed that we need test cases for validation of SML-IF format.
18:29:41 [Sandy]
topic: Review of test cases
18:29:49 [Sandy]
Current test cases available at
18:31:37 [Sandy]
Kumar: I'm OK with adopting whatever COSMOS has.
18:32:12 [Sandy]
John: Paul has concerns with pointing to COSMOS repository.
18:32:23 [Sandy]
Ginny: what if the test case changes
18:32:43 [Sandy]
John: it's OK as long as the URL has the correct revision information.
18:33:31 [Sandy]
Ginny: do the test cases focus on particular features, or do they tend to test multiple features in a single test?
18:33:49 [Sandy]
John: they generally only test a single feature.
18:34:09 [Sandy]
Ginny: and the tests are self-contained? i.e no sharing of test documents.
18:34:11 [Sandy]
John: yes
18:35:46 [Sandy]
MSM: I think we should include tests that ensures that SML constraints and schematron rules are applied to the right element instances?
18:36:43 [Sandy]
MSM: naive implementation may apply these constraints to element instances that have the correct name but do not match the declaration/definition that carries the constraints.
18:38:07 [Sandy]
Ginny: Want to spend time to review the list of features covered by COSMOS tests.
18:38:12 [Sandy]
Pratul: I agree.
18:38:26 [Sandy]
Pratul: are there tests that are specific to testing IF?
18:38:39 [Sandy]
John: think so, those to do with aliases, locators, etc.
18:41:28 [Sandy]
John: and there are tests for xml:base
18:44:31 [Sandy]
Pratul: everyone should look at these tests, to determine whether any addition, deletion, or modification is needed.
18:45:36 [Sandy]
Kumar: if a feature is not adequately covered, what's the process to improve the coverage? We draft the tests and submit to COSMOS?
18:47:29 [Sandy]
Pratul: may be better to keep the additional tests we write in W3C repositories.
18:47:59 [Sandy]
MSM: that would also have less legal complications.
18:48:55 [Sandy]
RESOLUTION: point to COSMOS test cases; keep our own tests in W3C repositories.
18:51:32 [Sandy]
John: suggest 2-pass approach. first look through the list and decide to include, exclude, or possibly modify. then in the second pass decide what to change for each test.
18:51:36 [Sandy]
Pratul: I agree.
18:51:53 [Zakim]
18:51:58 [Zakim]
18:52:00 [Zakim]
18:52:00 [Zakim]
18:52:02 [Zakim]
18:52:03 [Zakim]
18:52:04 [Zakim]
18:52:04 [Zakim]
XML_SMLWG()2:00PM has ended
18:52:05 [Zakim]
Attendees were johnarwe_, Kumar, pratul, Sandy, Ginny_Smith, Kirk, MSM
18:52:14 [Sandy]
rrsagent, generate minutes
18:52:14 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate Sandy
18:53:07 [Sandy]
rrsagent, bye
18:53:07 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items