IRC log of svgig on 2008-09-25

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:59:54 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #svgig
14:59:54 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:59:56 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
14:59:58 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be SVGIG
14:59:58 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see GA_SVGIG()11:00AM already started
14:59:59 [Metaphorically]
Metaphorically has joined #svgig
14:59:59 [trackbot]
Meeting: SVG Interest Group Teleconference
14:59:59 [trackbot]
Date: 25 September 2008
15:00:07 [shepazu]
Zakim, call shepazu
15:00:07 [Zakim]
ok, shepazu; the call is being made
15:00:09 [Zakim]
15:00:17 [Zakim]
15:02:13 [Zakim]
+ +1.519.968.aaaa
15:02:37 [Zakim]
15:02:51 [Zakim]
+ +49.918.126.5.aabb
15:04:09 [Manuel]
i'm in. (+49...)
15:04:32 [shepazu]
Zakim, +49.918.126.5.aabb is Manuel
15:04:32 [Zakim]
+Manuel; got it
15:05:08 [shepazu]
Zakim, +1.519.968.aaaa is Rob_Russell
15:05:08 [Zakim]
+Rob_Russell; got it
15:06:03 [shepazu]
scribeNick: shepazu
15:06:39 [JeffSchiller]
15:06:45 [shepazu]
15:07:20 [shepazu]
15:08:13 [shepazu]
GR: I'm an old hand at W3C, doing ARIA, HTML, and other stuff (blind, use AT)
15:09:48 [oedipus]
oedipus has joined #svgig
15:09:50 [anthony]
anthony has joined #svgig
15:10:00 [JeffSchiller]
GR: Open Accessibility ( which merged with Linux Foundation
15:10:05 [oedipus]
scribe: Gregory_Rosmaita
15:10:11 [oedipus]
ScribeNick: oedipus
15:11:13 [shepazu]
MS: attended SVGOpen, web developer, phD student, use SVG to do hobby stuff, like to advocate use in scientific presentation
15:11:16 [oedipus]
Manuel: based in Germany - joined IG week ago - part time developer; no use cases for me at moment, but trying to make presentations - some work, some don't
15:11:35 [Zakim]
15:11:49 [anthony]
Zakim, ??P1 is me
15:11:49 [Zakim]
+anthony; got it
15:12:27 [oedipus]
Anthony: represent ICANN on SVG WG
15:12:33 [Zakim]
15:12:33 [aneumann]
15:12:38 [oedipus]
15:12:48 [shepazu]
15:13:04 [oedipus]
oedipus = Gregory J. Rosmaita
15:14:34 [DavePorter]
DavePorter has joined #svgig
15:15:01 [oedipus]
TOPIC: Process Page for IG Wiki for new members to get them acclimatized; short page
15:15:12 [oedipus]
JS: where is tracker, how to use, etc.
15:15:25 [oedipus]
JS: main page of wiki good start - anyone want to create simple page
15:15:33 [oedipus]
MS: tracker instructions
15:15:51 [oedipus]
DS: maybe could point to those things
15:15:55 [oedipus]
JS: starting page
15:15:57 [oedipus]
15:16:15 [oedipus]
JS: links to existing resources
15:16:18 [oedipus]
ack me
15:16:54 [oedipus]
ACTION: Gregory - start simple wiki page for IG and W3C resources
15:16:54 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-11 - - start simple wiki page for IG and W3C resources [on Gregory Rosmaita - due 2008-10-02].
15:17:03 [oedipus]
JS: wiki collaborative
15:17:07 [oedipus]
MS: will help on wiki
15:17:23 [oedipus]
JS: process page - summarize itself
15:17:34 [Manuel]
my nick in the wiki: mstrehl
15:17:45 [oedipus]
DS: create account, email me or jeff
15:17:55 [oedipus]
JS: last: conference call time and date
15:17:55 [HelderMagalhaes]
Possibly also (if not existent) add some information on participating on conference calls... ;-)
15:18:03 [oedipus]
JS: doug started poll last week
15:18:17 [oedipus]
JS: is this the right time? international participation important
15:18:47 [JeffSchiller]
link to poll:
15:19:11 [oedipus]
DS: move telecon because some of the more active members not able to attend at this time
15:19:44 [oedipus]
@helder - will add call participation info to wiki page
15:20:02 [oedipus]
JS: please fill out form so can schedule calls
15:20:09 [oedipus]
TOPIC: Community
15:20:22 [oedipus]
JS: Rob Russell - svg community web site - synopsis
15:21:03 [HelderMagalhaes]
oedipus: Great! :-)
15:21:23 [oedipus]
RR: have site set up running on temporary domain - - right now everything not visible to public - want more stability before more exposure
15:21:53 [oedipus]
RR: site doesn't have final theme - installed pile of themes - anyone who wants to can edit user prefs to choose theme - feedback on themes IG likes
15:22:32 [oedipus]
RR: theme: zen is good starting point; sent email to list about this; if anyone wants to tailor a theme, can give ftp access to site to tailor without impacting rest of site
15:22:36 [oedipus]
JS: how to change theme?
15:23:04 [oedipus]
RR: under my account, choose edit, then choose from long list of themes near bottom of document
15:23:14 [oedipus]
RR: probably want a "portal looking" theme
15:23:31 [oedipus]
RR: openID login turned on - anyone who can improve, please do
15:24:12 [Manuel]
it's, isn't it?
15:24:15 [oedipus]
RR: turned on wiki tools module - editing handbook page there is a script link to enter sample script; can add pages to book - Best Practices for Authoring SVG Content on web
15:24:34 [JeffSchiller]
it is, yes
15:24:41 [oedipus]
15:25:19 [oedipus]
RR: syntax highlighting model - if include code, use <code type="xml" ...> will do syntax highlighting
15:25:28 [oedipus]
GJR: how performs syntax highlighting
15:26:07 [oedipus]
RR: uses GEHSI - marks up with spans
15:26:23 [oedipus]
RR: creates CSS rules
15:26:34 [oedipus] or
15:26:41 [Rob_Russell]
15:26:59 [oedipus]
RR: druple module makes available to users
15:27:41 [oedipus]
GJR: will provide feedback
15:27:49 [oedipus]
RR: class naming revision would be good
15:28:28 [oedipus]
RR: is a DIFF module that turned on - if someone goes in under script link at top and adds page, can create new versions of pages with history - diff module supposed to mark changes between revisions
15:28:30 [Rob_Russell]
15:29:00 [oedipus]
RR: anyone with account can edit page referred to above - "revisions" tab shows diff; checkbox when submitting page
15:29:25 [oedipus]
RR: new aggregator running on site; working on getting simple work flow for approving work items we want to highlight on site
15:30:07 [oedipus]
JS: if other admins can get on board and work together, would be preferable
15:30:42 [oedipus]
RR: created role "administrator" - anyone that wants admin access to site during beta, can turn on, then can decide roles (admins, moderators, etc. when ready to go live)
15:31:01 [oedipus]
MS: integrate with main W3C page?
15:31:05 [oedipus]
DS: that is the plan
15:32:07 [oedipus]
DS: SVG page is news off of -- we will be using news feed specifically for w3c as that updates, will automatically refresh more often; w3c page currently not automated - have to manually rebuild; going to change so when new feed comes in will go to w3c page
15:32:18 [oedipus]
DS: finally heard back from's owner
15:32:31 [oedipus]
TOPIC: Permanent Home for Site
15:34:23 [oedipus]
DS: writing to him in english, but he speaks french and not a lot of english; antoine interceded for me - working through karl dubost (native french speaker) to help communicate with guy - reluctant to get rid of domain - has long-term project he wants to use for - don't want him to change nature of from our community site to a private site - offered sub-domain, but don't think that is what we want -- open to transfer w3c or to established com
15:34:30 [oedipus]
it which is what we are
15:34:42 [oedipus]
DS: might sell or donate to W3C - still in negotiation
15:35:41 [oedipus]
DS: should know by next meeting if willing to transfer - if asking considerable sum for it, may pose problems and should re-examine (1) is it worth it and (2) can we raise money for it
15:36:14 [oedipus]
JS: domain not as important as content - content rich site, domain name can be something other than
15:36:38 [oedipus]
DP: can take up collection or can we consider something branded with interest group - or
15:37:07 [oedipus]
JS: thinking site would be broader than just w3c - admins and worker bees probably from IG, but w3c doesn't go hand-in-hand with site control
15:37:26 [DavePorter]
15:37:27 [oedipus]
DS: appreciated DP's point - would be received better if perceived as community and not W3C site
15:37:37 [oedipus]
15:38:19 [oedipus]
JS: a possibility; owner reluctant to part with domain - not a lot of traffic at site - asked him to consider us as first candidate in bidding for domain name
15:39:24 [DavePorter]
Maybe to provide a carrot for someone giving up their existing svg.* domain, is have a banner add or link prominently in "our" site pointing them back to whatever commercial type enterprise they have got going.
15:39:28 [oedipus]
DS: can convince guy - sounded willing because no single company stepping forward to champion SVG, so may be best to transfer to w3c
15:39:37 [oedipus]
DS: could put a "donate" link on site
15:39:40 [DavePorter]
Bring them into our community--sort of.
15:40:03 [oedipus]
GJR: could ask DAISY consortium for liaison with SVG in DAISY work
15:40:32 [oedipus]
DS: would help to have non-profit to promote SVGOpen and other programs - "help us with our activities" donation button
15:40:37 [oedipus]
DS: fairly low overhead
15:41:04 [oedipus]
JS: should have some news on - other possibilities which RR has offered
15:41:36 [oedipus]
DS: in 2009 opening up .web - svg.web not bad
15:41:41 [oedipus]
DS: who has
15:42:01 [oedipus]
DS: cc from creative commons signifies clearly openess
15:42:12 [oedipus]
JS: still need theme for site;
15:42:18 [oedipus]
15:42:33 [oedipus]
JS: designers to help?
15:42:57 [oedipus]
DS: contacted about joining svg ig - don't want to be go between rather have them interacting directly with us
15:43:44 [oedipus]
DS: john cruz is now part of SVG IG - helps run inkscape project (open source graphical editing tool for SVG)
15:44:28 [oedipus]
DS: inkscape interesting to me because casual designer asked for basic info about inkscape, but didn't realize after having used it he was creating SVG -- people just using tool, which is what is goal
15:44:37 [oedipus]
DS: parlay community building into SVG Community site
15:45:34 [oedipus]
RR: if don't get contributions i will draw pictures and i am not an artist
15:46:37 [oedipus]
DS: is it worth our while to start before find out about domain name within couple of weeks, would like to see site go public and get more actual content - currently not making best use of rob's time - perhaps need to open up more
15:46:53 [oedipus]
RR: open to users and leave robots.txt not to index
15:47:00 [oedipus]
JS: point to rush70?
15:47:02 [DavePorter]
I like open, but I like trying to get to the permanent domain home.
15:47:13 [oedipus]
DS: move to domain we have control of
15:47:47 [oedipus]
RR: pick from domains; druple a pain to move, but can make happen
15:48:03 [JeffSchiller]
15:48:04 [oedipus]
DS: wait until have domain ( - still have to find host for
15:48:14 [DavePorter]
I second what Doug is saying, wait a couple weeks for progress on
15:48:22 [oedipus]
DS: where will it be hosted? can always redirect DNS
15:48:47 [oedipus]
RR: DNS aliasing can be difficult
15:48:58 [oedipus]
DS: not a technical difficulty but a "software feature"
15:49:06 [oedipus]
JS: keep at host using now, RR?
15:49:22 [oedipus]
RR: as long as hosting can hold it up, fine with me; if port, will port
15:49:51 [oedipus]
15:50:05 [oedipus]
DS: at dreamhost - could get free hosting - do for what wg - could ask them
15:50:40 [oedipus]
RR: - would like to make public - so anonymous visitors could at least see content, but keep bots from indexing
15:50:44 [JeffSchiller]
Action: Rob_Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
15:50:44 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Rob_Russell
15:50:59 [JeffSchiller]
Action: Metaphorically to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
15:50:59 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Metaphorically
15:51:09 [oedipus]
GJR: plus 1 to
15:51:18 [oedipus]
TOPIC: SVG Open 2008
15:51:28 [Manuel]
15:51:46 [oedipus]
Andres: may be hosted in mountainville, close to monterray (sp?)
15:52:03 [DavePorter]
15:52:03 [oedipus]
Andres: large companies close by is advantage
15:52:14 [oedipus]
15:52:37 [DavePorter]
"Mountain of the king" in Spanish, I believe.
15:52:49 [oedipus]
Andres: 2 choices: one near large companies, one where group could get a lot of work done in a positive setting
15:53:21 [oedipus]
JS: didn't get chance to look at facilities
15:53:53 [oedipus]
Andres: contact at Google looking for proposals from us for sponsoring or helping out with organization - need to discuss how to procede
15:54:16 [shepazu]
Action: Rob to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
15:54:16 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Rob
15:54:19 [oedipus]
JS: brad newburg working on SVG at Google
15:54:36 [JeffSchiller]
15:54:47 [oedipus]
Andres: may need help with proposal
15:55:04 [oedipus]
DS: can send to SVG IG list or open svg list, can polish it if you provide basic data
15:55:18 [oedipus]
Andres: what format?
15:55:20 [oedipus]
DS: text
15:55:30 [oedipus]
Andres: Google style plain in any case
15:55:45 [oedipus]
JS: depends upon sponsorship, but in fall?
15:55:58 [oedipus]
Andres: heard proposal for spring, but IMO fall would be better
15:56:20 [JeffSchiller]
Action: Robert Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
15:56:20 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-12 - Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1 [on Robert Russell - due 2008-10-02].
15:56:39 [shepazu]
Action: Rob_Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
15:56:39 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Rob_Russell
15:56:45 [oedipus]
Andres: if approach Google, what do we want to ask of them -- organization, venue provision, helping defray cost, assistance with travel
15:56:47 [shepazu]
Action: Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1
15:56:47 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-13 - Move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1 [on Robert Russell - due 2008-10-02].
15:57:20 [oedipus]
15:57:33 [oedipus]
DS: ask Google for all of the above -- whatever they are willing to do
15:58:13 [oedipus]
DS: some of our concerns are... if Google can help out with one or more of these things, would be appreciated; Google brand will give conf prestige and improve profile of SVG
15:58:23 [oedipus]
Andres: open source travel assistance
15:59:00 [oedipus]
DS: 2 contacts at Google now -- hit up both
15:59:08 [HelderMagalhaes]
HelderMagalhaes has joined #svgig
15:59:26 [oedipus]
Andres: vice-president of Google from Switzerland - doesn't know me, but i know him
15:59:33 [oedipus]
DS: contact professor who knows him
15:59:46 [oedipus]
DS: adjourn or anything urgent?
15:59:48 [DavePorter]
Yes, time is short, Dave Porter has to drop momentarily.
15:59:57 [oedipus]
JS: testing, test set - SVG Torture test idea
16:00:18 [oedipus]
JS: high performance SVG demos to see what new javascript widgets can do - can start wiki page and brainstorm it
16:00:38 [oedipus]
DS: good idea -- demos needed - need something that impresses and instructs
16:00:52 [oedipus]
JS: challanges section: projects on which groups/individuals can work
16:01:07 [oedipus]
JS: use SVG to mimic effects of lesser technologies
16:01:14 [DavePorter]
Jeff: please keep reminding us of the W3C IRC client URL in communications about our meetings. I always end up scrambling to find it.
16:01:18 [oedipus]
JS: new things done in SVG imoprtant too
16:01:27 [DavePorter]
Good day everyone....
16:01:30 [JeffSchiller]
@DavePorter: ok, thanks - sorry
16:01:30 [Zakim]
16:01:46 [oedipus]
DS: how to do easier and better pertaining to web in SVG like EricD's stuff
16:02:16 [oedipus]
Andres: translations of SVG talked about at OpenSVG -- critical
16:02:27 [oedipus]
DS: want to translate book as well
16:02:48 [oedipus]
JS: move to adjourn - may have new time by next call, so stay tuned to emailing list and add to wiki
16:02:54 [Zakim]
16:02:55 [Zakim]
16:02:57 [Zakim]
16:03:02 [Zakim]
16:03:02 [JeffSchiller]
Gregory - thanks for scribing you did an awesome job
16:03:03 [Zakim]
16:03:22 [oedipus]
you're welcome jeff - not up to my usual standards, but thanks
16:03:26 [Zakim]
16:03:28 [Zakim]
16:03:29 [Zakim]
GA_SVGIG()11:00AM has ended
16:03:30 [Zakim]
Attendees were Jeff_Schiller, Shepazu, Gregory_Rosmaita, Andreas_Neumann, Manuel, Rob_Russell, anthony, Dave_Porter
16:03:36 [oedipus]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:03:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
16:04:48 [oedipus]
chair: Jeff_Schiller
16:04:57 [oedipus]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:04:57 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
16:05:29 [shepazu]
thanks again, oedipus
16:05:52 [JeffSchiller]
yeah somehow i have to learn all these tricks with trackbots, rrsagent, Zakim
16:05:57 [JeffSchiller]
guess it's a rite of passage?
16:06:25 [HelderMagalhaes]
Yeah, I was saying that to Anthony minutes ago...
16:06:51 [oedipus]
no problem - on the wiki page i will point to my scribe's cheat sheet and resources
16:07:00 [HelderMagalhaes]
Great! :-)
16:07:03 [JeffSchiller]
that will be awesome
16:07:14 [oedipus]
regrets+ Christophe_Strobbe
16:09:14 [JeffSchiller]
did you try my little snow thing in Chrome?
16:09:56 [oedipus]
regrets+ Donald_Dogherty
16:10:03 [oedipus]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:10:03 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate oedipus
16:16:31 [oedipus]
rrsagent, please part
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
I see 7 open action items saved in :
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Gregory - start simple wiki page for IG and W3C resources [1]
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Rob_Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1 [2]
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Metaphorically to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1 [3]
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Rob to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1 [4]
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Robert Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1 [5]
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Rob_Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1 [6]
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Russell to move page to one of his domains on 1-and-1 [7]
16:16:31 [RRSAgent]
recorded in