IRC log of xproc on 2008-08-14

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:57:42 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #xproc
14:57:42 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:57:45 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #xproc
14:57:46 [Norm]
Meeting: XML Processing Model WG
14:57:46 [Norm]
Date: 14 Aug 2008
14:57:46 [Norm]
14:57:46 [Norm]
Meeting: 122
14:57:46 [Norm]
Chair: Norm
14:57:50 [Norm]
Scribe: Norm
14:57:52 [Norm]
ScribeNick: Norm
14:57:54 [Norm]
Zakim, this will be xproc
14:57:54 [Zakim]
ok, Norm; I see XML_PMWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 3 minutes
14:58:03 [Norm]
Norm has changed the topic to: XProc WG meets 14 Aug:
14:58:33 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()11:00AM has now started
14:58:40 [Zakim]
15:01:22 [Zakim]
15:01:38 [ht]
zakim, code?
15:01:38 [Zakim]
the conference code is 97762 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.117.370.6152), ht
15:02:04 [Zakim]
15:02:12 [ht]
zakim, ? is ht
15:02:12 [Zakim]
+ht; got it
15:02:29 [Vojtech]
Vojtech has joined #xproc
15:03:28 [Norm]
15:03:44 [AndrewF]
AndrewF has joined #xproc
15:04:18 [richard]
richard has joined #xproc
15:04:26 [Zakim]
15:04:31 [Zakim]
+ +1.734.352.aaaa
15:04:48 [Zakim]
15:04:55 [richard]
zakim, ??37 is me
15:04:55 [Zakim]
sorry, richard, I do not recognize a party named '??37'
15:05:01 [richard]
zakim, ??P37 is me
15:05:01 [Zakim]
+richard; got it
15:05:12 [Norm]
Zakim, who's on the phone?
15:05:12 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Norm, PGrosso, ht, ??P22, +1.734.352.aaaa, richard
15:05:22 [MoZ]
MoZ has joined #xproc
15:05:31 [AndrewF]
zakim, is AndrewF
15:05:31 [Zakim]
sorry, AndrewF, I do not recognize a party named ''
15:05:35 [Vojtech]
zakim, ??P22 is me
15:05:35 [Zakim]
+Vojtech; got it
15:05:44 [Norm]
Zakim, who's on the phone?
15:05:44 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Norm, PGrosso, ht, Vojtech, +1.734.352.aaaa, richard
15:05:49 [Norm]
Regrets: Murray, Alex
15:05:59 [Norm]
Zakim, aaaa is AndrewF
15:05:59 [Zakim]
+AndrewF; got it
15:06:12 [Norm]
Present: Norm, Paul, Henry, Vojtech, Andrew, Richard
15:06:25 [Norm]
Topic: Accept this agenda?
15:06:25 [Norm]
15:06:36 [Norm]
15:06:41 [Norm]
Topic: Accept minutes from the previous meeting?
15:06:41 [Norm]
15:06:46 [Norm]
15:06:52 [Norm]
Topic: Next meeting: telcon 21 Aug 2008?
15:07:46 [Norm]
Norm: We may cancel it, but we'll leave it on the books. No regrets heard.
15:07:52 [Norm]
Topic: Charter extension
15:08:44 [Norm]
Norm: Is that something I do, or Henry, do you do it?
15:08:50 [Norm]
ACTION: Henry to investigate the charter extension process
15:09:04 [Norm]
Topic: Comments on the last call draft
15:09:21 [Norm]
15:10:41 [Norm]
No comments heard.
15:11:11 [Norm]
ACTION: Henry to update the XSD and DTD files then give Julian the green light to publish
15:12:25 [MSM]
MSM has joined #xproc
15:12:40 [Norm]
Topic: Test suite planning
15:13:33 [Norm]
Norm looks for help and advice in constructing an adequate test suite on the assumption we'll make it through Last Call and get to CR easily.
15:14:17 [Norm]
Norm: There are already about 80 or so at
15:15:15 [Norm]
Henry: What's the metadata you need?
15:15:29 [Norm]
Norm: There's documentation for the test format at, but I'm happy to adjust it as necessary.
15:15:53 [Norm]
Norm: We will stall if we don't get a test suite...
15:16:58 [Norm]
Henry: My metadata question was about coverage. We need to give some thought to the metadata to describe *what features* are tested.
15:17:26 [Norm]
...We need to be able to characterize the tests to make the interoperability claim have some teeth.
15:18:06 [Norm]
Norm: I was going to analyze the test suite for missing steps and missing options on steps.
15:18:59 [Norm]
Henry: That's a good start, but there are also questions about the topology of the pipeline and the inheritence of variables and defaulting of pipes, etc.
15:19:22 [Norm]
...Those aren't as easy to enumerate.
15:19:56 [Norm]
Norm: I was also hoping to have tests for every static and dynamic error as well, that covers many of those things.
15:21:41 [Norm]
Richard: The XML test suite doesn't attempt to identify the "correct" error and this has sometimes caused problems.
15:21:50 [Norm]
Henry: Having explicit error codes helps a little bit.
15:23:00 [Norm]
Norm: Metadata is a good idea, maybe we should have some email discussiona bout how to devise metadata that covers the spec.
15:23:19 [Norm]
Topic: Any other business?
15:23:41 [Norm]
Vojtech: Regarding error codes, right now we have gaps in the numbering. Is that ok?
15:24:36 [Norm]
Norm: I think it is. We talkeda bout it once before and decided that the cost was larger than the benefit.
15:24:42 [Norm]
Vojtech/Henry: I'm ok with that.
15:24:49 [Norm]
15:25:03 [Zakim]
15:25:04 [Zakim]
15:25:04 [Zakim]
15:25:06 [Zakim]
15:25:06 [Zakim]
15:25:08 [Zakim]
15:25:08 [Norm]
RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
15:25:09 [Zakim]
XML_PMWG()11:00AM has ended
15:25:10 [Zakim]
Attendees were Norm, PGrosso, ht, +1.734.352.aaaa, richard, Vojtech, AndrewF
15:25:12 [PGrosso]
PGrosso has left #xproc
15:25:15 [Norm]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
15:25:15 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate Norm
15:25:18 [richard]
17:36:02 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #xproc
17:53:24 [Norm]
RRSAgent, bye
17:53:24 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in :
17:53:24 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Henry to investigate the charter extension process [1]
17:53:24 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
17:53:24 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Henry to update the XSD and DTD files then give Julian the green light to publish [2]
17:53:24 [RRSAgent]
recorded in