IRC log of mw4d on 2008-08-04

Timestamps are in UTC.

11:51:25 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
11:51:25 [RRSAgent]
logging to
11:51:31 [steph]
zakim, this will be m4wd
11:51:31 [Zakim]
ok, steph; I see UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM scheduled to start in 9 minutes
11:51:51 [steph]
Meeting: MW4D IG bi-monthly teleconference
11:52:26 [steph]
11:53:33 [steph]
Present: Stephane Boyera (W3C)
11:54:08 [steph]
zakim, code ?
11:54:08 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
11:54:34 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has now started
11:54:42 [Zakim]
+ +
11:55:03 [steph]
zakim, aaaa is me
11:55:03 [Zakim]
+steph; got it
11:59:06 [Zakim]
+ +2
11:59:32 [steph]
zakim, +2 is Ken
11:59:32 [Zakim]
+Ken; got it
11:59:55 [kiwanja]
kiwanja has joined #mw4d
11:59:58 [Zakim]
+ +41.22.770.aacc
11:59:59 [steph]
hi Ken
12:00:00 [kiwanja]
12:00:12 [steph]
zakim, aacc is Jacob
12:00:12 [Zakim]
+Jacob; got it
12:00:53 [steph]
zakim, who is here ?
12:00:53 [Zakim]
On the phone I see steph, Ken, Jacob
12:00:54 [Zakim]
On IRC I see kiwanja, RRSAgent, Zakim, steph
12:01:10 [kiwanja]
hi, yes - ken here (kiwanja)
12:01:17 [steph]
sure !
12:01:21 [steph]
for now just you and me
12:01:41 [steph]
and the 2 bots: rrsagent managing the minutes and zakim, managing the telecoenference system
12:05:21 [steph]
12:06:30 [steph]
scribe: Stephane
12:06:37 [steph]
scribenick: steph
12:06:53 [steph]
Topic: last meeting minute approval
12:07:48 [Zakim]
+ +2
12:08:08 [steph]
zakim, +2 is Renjish
12:08:08 [Zakim]
+Renjish; got it
12:09:08 [steph]
Action: steph to investigate the availability of a java applet to connect to irc
12:09:45 [steph]
Jacob: we had discussion around the mission statement, focusing on accuracy.
12:09:55 [steph]
may be we are not ready now
12:10:11 [Zakim]
+ +035850558aaee
12:10:13 [steph]
we should try to reach a level we are ok with
12:10:23 [steph]
zakim, aaee is Lauri
12:10:23 [Zakim]
+Lauri; got it
12:10:30 [Zakim]
+ +55115586aaff
12:10:56 [steph]
zakim, aaff is Tadao
12:10:56 [Zakim]
+Tadao; got it
12:11:35 [steph]
jacob: and then update it later when appropriate
12:12:14 [steph]
Topic: Introduction
12:12:19 [steph]
Steph: Lauri
12:12:28 [steph]
Lauri hirovanen from Nokia
12:12:51 [steph]
primary interest: how to improve the use of mobile phone to access service in dev countries
12:13:13 [steph]
active in different domains, like creating .mobi (more than 1 millions today)
12:13:21 [steph]
very popular in dev countries
12:13:36 [steph]
.mobi is how creating tools to simplify how to create mobile content
12:13:49 [steph]
12:14:11 [steph]
highlights 9 months ago at Unesco
12:14:18 [steph]
more than 200 participants
12:14:33 [steph]
and demonstrated the use of mobile phone to offer services
12:14:57 [steph]
Topic: Review of Action Items
12:15:13 [steph]
Stephane to initiate discussion about Wiki usage on the mailing list
12:15:18 [steph]
Stephane: pending
12:15:24 [steph]
Stephane to put the current framework document on the wiki
12:15:40 [steph]
Stephane: done
12:16:03 [steph]
Stephane to publish last meeting minutes and update participants name before
12:16:15 [steph]
12:16:32 [steph]
Action: Stephane to publish july 28 minutes
12:17:06 [steph]
Topic: Raising awareness of MW4D IG
12:18:13 [steph]
Stephane: raise awareness of the group
12:18:29 [steph]
12:18:50 [steph]
Topic: Framework discussion
12:20:06 [steph]
12:20:39 [kiwanja]
12:21:30 [steph]
Jacob: study a case study
12:22:11 [steph]
Renjish: few lines around describing a scenario before the bullets
12:23:56 [steph]
Action: Renjish to write a scenario around the vision
12:24:07 [steph]
Jacob: exactly, i will help
12:26:11 [steph]
Stephane: i believe there are 3 areas: grass root/ institution/ entrepreneur
12:27:28 [steph]
Ken: perhaps other categories
12:29:01 [steph]
Stephane: orthogonal categorization
12:29:13 [steph]
either by sectors (health, education,...)
12:29:37 [steph]
or by categories of providers
12:31:40 [steph]
Ken: mgov services
12:31:44 [steph]
good targets
12:31:58 [steph]
and see what are channels we can work through
12:33:12 [steph]
Stephane: other type of services, not only mgov can be workable at gov level
12:34:15 [steph]
Ken: empowering grass-root
12:34:25 [steph]
is the most exciting work
12:35:01 [steph]
might be that engaging all channels is too much for
12:35:03 [steph]
12:35:34 [steph]
ken: for now, underserved are not considered by government
12:36:14 [steph]
Jacob: 3 channels have different approaches, not going in depht enough
12:36:34 [kiwanja]
(underserved, i.e. grassroots are generally not considered a main focus of mobile4dev projects)
12:36:34 [steph]
niche area for one or two can bring more impact
12:37:27 [steph]
Renjish: considering different channels, all stakeholders have ot be engaged
12:37:57 [steph]
solutions should be work accross channels
12:38:20 [steph]
deployment on the ground using different players is important.
12:38:29 [steph]
cooperation important
12:38:55 [steph]
it can take multiple combinations
12:39:56 [steph]
Steph: agreed but quite hard in practice
12:40:05 [steph]
Renjish: operationnal challenges
12:40:13 [steph]
this is our goal to tackle them
12:40:32 [steph]
First goal to come to technological solution independent of the channels
12:41:01 [steph]
Ken: challenges are not only technological solutiosn
12:41:14 [steph]
technical challenges, partnership challenges, ...
12:41:59 [steph]
Ken: challenges of this group to find things we can do
12:43:17 [steph]
Stephane: i doubt that technological challenges are not channel independent
12:43:29 [steph]
Lauri: good book: mobile internet for dummies
12:43:34 [steph]
interesting for consumers
12:43:49 [steph]
covers how to use your mobile phones to access web services
12:44:05 [steph]
excellent documentation for consumer to access services
12:44:12 [steph]
i will forward the references
12:46:42 [steph]
Renjish: let's think about the common denominator
12:46:49 [steph]
to work for all
12:46:53 [steph]
Ken: agreed
12:47:14 [steph]
ngo will use the lowest option
12:47:50 [steph]
Renjish: ngo needs supports for sure
12:48:07 [steph]
need of involvment of all stakeholder
12:48:17 [steph]
Lauri: agreed completely
12:48:26 [steph]
aim of .mobi
12:48:51 [steph]
to focus on the common denominator
12:49:20 [steph]
great initiative at W3C: MWI (Mobile Web Initiative)
12:49:56 [steph]
and best practices
12:50:27 [steph]
we should look at worldwide solutions that would work on all phones
12:53:04 [steph]
renjish: mobile phones vs mobile devices ?
12:53:43 [steph]
Lauri: mobile devices definition: always connected
12:54:08 [steph]
nature: you carry it with you, and able to communicate at any time the user wants
12:54:25 [steph]
Renjish: a pager == mobile device ?
12:54:28 [Zakim]
12:54:45 [steph]
Ken: laptop not mobile device ?
12:54:53 [steph]
Lauri: with eg a wifi, it is
12:55:11 [steph]
Renjish: portability and mobility, 2 different concepts
12:55:55 [steph]
ken: we should restrict
12:56:03 [steph]
should not includes laptop
12:56:28 [Zakim]
12:56:49 [steph]
Lauri: smaller screen and less capabilities that a laptop
12:57:23 [steph]
should we focus on what on the market
12:59:48 [steph]
Stephane: range from low-end phones till high-end phones and not more
12:59:53 [steph]
Ken: nokia DS ?
13:00:15 [steph]
Stephane: out for me, not in the targeted market
13:00:22 [steph]
Renjish: cost is also factor
13:01:32 [kiwanja]
nintendo DS, steph
13:01:34 [steph]
should also open to things like tablets
13:01:50 [Zakim]
13:02:03 [steph]
Lauri: agree, taking only mobile phones is limited
13:02:45 [steph]
we have to be open
13:04:00 [steph]
Action: stephane to continue discussion on definition of mobile devices
13:05:08 [Zakim]
13:05:09 [Zakim]
13:05:10 [Zakim]
13:05:11 [Zakim]
13:05:11 [Zakim]
13:05:12 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has ended
13:05:13 [Zakim]
Attendees were +, steph, Ken, +41.22.770.aacc, Jacob, Renjish, +035850558aaee, Lauri, +55115586aaff, Tadao
13:05:13 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
13:05:13 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate steph
14:12:59 [Renjish]
Renjish has joined #mw4d
14:23:58 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #mw4d