IRC log of mw4d on 2008-07-28

Timestamps are in UTC.

06:34:10 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
06:34:10 [RRSAgent]
logging to
06:34:16 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #mw4d
11:49:31 [steph]
steph has joined #mw4d
11:49:40 [steph]
zakim, this will be mw4d
11:49:40 [Zakim]
ok, steph; I see UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM scheduled to start in 11 minutes
11:49:53 [steph]
zakim, code ?
11:49:53 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
11:50:16 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has now started
11:50:23 [Zakim]
11:50:44 [steph]
Meeting: MW4D IG bi-monthly meeting
11:51:00 [steph]
11:51:06 [steph]
Chair: Stephane
11:57:43 [Zakim]
+ +41.22.770.aaaa
11:58:05 [steph]
zakim, aaaa is Jacob
11:58:05 [Zakim]
+Jacob; got it
12:00:13 [Zakim]
12:00:28 [steph]
zakim, p2 is ken
12:00:28 [Zakim]
sorry, steph, I do not recognize a party named 'p2'
12:00:33 [steph]
zakim, ??p2 is ken
12:00:33 [Zakim]
+ken; got it
12:02:42 [Zakim]
12:02:58 [steph]
zakim, ??P3 is Jeff
12:02:58 [Zakim]
+Jeff; got it
12:04:25 [jeffs]
jeffs has joined #mw4d
12:04:30 [steph]
hi Jeffs
12:04:32 [jeffs]
12:04:40 [jeffs]
zakim, who is on telephone
12:04:40 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is on telephone', jeffs
12:04:50 [jeffs]
zakim, who
12:04:50 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who', jeffs
12:05:59 [jeffs]
cannot recall zakin cmd to check phone connections
12:06:07 [steph]
zakim, who is on the phone
12:06:07 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is on the phone', steph
12:06:09 [steph]
zakim, who is on the phone ?
12:06:09 [Zakim]
On the phone I see steph, Jacob, ken, Jeff
12:06:14 [jeffs]
12:07:10 [jeffs]
am I listed by Zakim at "Jeff"?? nick is "jeffs", number is +1-585-475-7315
12:07:32 [steph]
zakim, Jeff is Jeffs
12:07:32 [Zakim]
+Jeffs; got it
12:07:36 [jeffs]
12:08:41 [Zakim]
+ +1.509.432.aabb
12:08:54 [steph]
zakim, aabb is Bill
12:08:54 [Zakim]
+Bill; got it
12:10:16 [steph]
Scribe: Stephane
12:11:21 [steph]
Stephane: at each meeting, we will approve the last meeting minutes
12:11:29 [bgillis]
bgillis has joined #mw4d
12:12:00 [steph]
Stephane: got a request to put full name and affiliation of participants
12:12:08 [steph]
will do that
12:12:10 [jeffs]
approve them
12:12:27 [bgillis]
approve them
12:12:33 [steph]
ACTION: steph to publish last meeting m inutes and update participants name before
12:12:46 [steph]
RESOLUTION: minutes of last meeting approved
12:12:54 [jeffs]
12:13:26 [steph]
Topic: Actions
12:13:52 [steph]
Stephane to send detailed info about IRC
12:14:07 [steph]
Stephane: done
12:14:15 [bgillis]
IRC action summary very helpful thankyou
12:14:23 [steph]
Stephane to summarize framework discussion on hte mailing-list
12:14:49 [steph]
Stephane: Done
12:15:04 [steph]
Stephane to initiate discussion about Wiki usage on the mailing list
12:15:17 [steph]
Stephane: pending
12:16:47 [steph]
Jacob: place to have a consolidated view of the email
12:17:17 [steph]
12:17:21 [steph]
public archives
12:18:18 [steph]
view by author/thread/subject/dates
12:18:23 [steph]
sorted by month
12:18:30 [steph]
Topic: introduction
12:19:17 [jeffs]
some folks may find discussions on mobile devices useful at
12:19:28 [steph]
Jacob: working at IATA in Geneva
12:19:47 [steph]
interest in the group: mobile for development
12:20:00 [steph]
specific interest in developmnet, will move in this domain soon
12:20:12 [steph]
how to bring development is of interest
12:20:25 [steph]
that's why i'm joining, and hope to contribute
12:21:09 [steph]
Ken: interest in mobile for development since early 2003
12:21:22 [steph]
started with conservation and charity
12:21:32 [steph]
12:21:57 [steph]
interested in tools for ngo/non-profit in dev. countries
12:22:01 [steph]
small scales
12:22:20 [steph]
focus on grass-root/non-profit access to mobile for them to work better
12:22:54 [steph]
Topic: format of the framework/vision statements
12:24:33 [bgillis]
Is there an updated version of document online, or the same document you originally sent?
12:24:39 [jeffs]
is anyone who is actually a citizen & resident of a developing-world country now on this mtg?
12:24:39 [steph]
not yet
12:25:53 [jeffs]
if not, suggest high priority we find ways to engage such ppl here
12:26:31 [steph]
Stephane: explain the diff between just a web page or a w3c document
12:26:38 [Zakim]
+ +1.312.476.aacc
12:26:59 [steph]
Jocab: didn't get the diff
12:27:21 [steph]
zakim, aacc is renjish
12:27:21 [Zakim]
+renjish; got it
12:28:07 [jeffs]
suggest high priority we find ways to engage more citizens of developing world in these conversations
12:28:21 [steph]
Renjish: working in mumbai india
12:28:27 [steph]
not really representing the company
12:28:36 [steph]
managing technology service labs
12:28:44 [steph]
in the area of ???
12:28:53 [steph]
looking at platforms
12:29:08 [steph]
(delivery platform)
12:29:19 [steph]
background in voice technology and business
12:29:40 [steph]
interested on how to remove some challenges about penetration of mobile
12:29:54 [jeffs]
12:30:00 [steph]
uri ?
12:30:52 [jeffs]
is there a URI for renjish? company, personal, etc
12:31:02 [steph]
12:31:08 [steph]
we are not managing rpfiles
12:32:02 [steph]
12:34:51 [steph]
bill: for now, start with what is the most accessible for people, perhaps wiki
12:35:08 [steph]
and then move it for official w3c publicaiton later
12:35:20 [steph]
more accesssible for people without a w3c background
12:35:44 [jeffs]
agree w Bill, more visibility & accessibility helps bring in more people
12:38:04 [steph]
bill: make it the easiest way for people to contribute
12:38:17 [steph]
i don't know if a wiki would be a barrier or not
12:39:16 [steph]
Jacob: important to moderate the comments
12:39:33 [steph]
through an editor
12:41:08 [steph]
ACTION: Steph to make the current framework document on the wiki
12:41:26 [steph]
Topic: Framework document
12:41:59 [steph]
Stephane: send a first draft:
12:43:15 [jeffs]
structure as-is okay, can be modified as we go along & find what we actually need
12:43:24 [jeffs]
12:44:19 [bgillis]
Agree with Jeff..structure is fine for now
12:44:31 [steph]
renjish: high level structure may be discussed later
12:45:07 [steph]
stephane: vision section
12:45:59 [steph]
thanks a lot jeffs
12:47:53 [jeffs]
12:49:06 [steph]
jacob: 2 options: expanding mobile telephony is important, but focusing on the services is also important
12:49:21 [steph]
depending on the time
12:49:51 [steph]
Renjish: we should look at the challenges of extending mobile penetration
12:49:57 [steph]
we can provide solution here
12:54:21 [steph]
Stephane: practically i believe we should look at exploiting hte full potential of mobile phones when available
12:54:30 [steph]
Bill: +1.
12:54:44 [steph]
also not only a matter of available content
12:54:49 [steph]
or apps/services
12:55:09 [jeffs]
think next version of "vision statement" also needs to refer to engaging ppl from developing world to help define what is needed
12:55:22 [steph]
one piece, but many others barriers, but not
12:55:37 [steph]
s/but not/ related to web access/
12:56:01 [steph]
zakim, who is making noise
12:56:01 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is making noise', steph
12:56:03 [steph]
zakim, who is making noise ?
12:56:05 [jeffs]
zakim, who is noise
12:56:05 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is noise', jeffs
12:56:15 [Zakim]
steph, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: steph (90%), Jacob (23%), renjish (28%)
12:58:01 [steph]
jeffs: we need to listen to folks who are in the target areas
12:58:12 [steph]
to get what are their views
12:58:25 [steph]
12:59:41 [steph]
Jeffs: put that at the very early stage of the document
12:59:57 [steph]
Ken: who are we talking to ?
13:00:04 [steph]
13:00:10 [steph]
Jeffs: agree,
13:01:25 [steph]
Stephane: the discussions will take place on the "stakeholder" session
13:01:32 [steph]
but agree ot put tha ton the vision
13:02:16 [steph]
Topic: Next meeting
13:03:24 [jeffs]
I am avail in August, do not want us to lose momentum through moving meetings around or delaying next mtg
13:03:50 [steph]
Stephane: keep the two meetings ?
13:03:56 [steph]
Jeffs: keep on track
13:05:01 [Zakim]
13:05:06 [Zakim]
13:05:07 [Zakim]
13:05:07 [Zakim]
13:05:09 [Zakim]
13:05:12 [Zakim]
13:05:13 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has ended
13:05:14 [Zakim]
Attendees were steph, +41.22.770.aaaa, Jacob, ken, Jeffs, +1.509.432.aabb, Bill, +1.312.476.aacc, renjish
13:05:37 [steph]
rrsagent, make log public
13:05:41 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
13:05:41 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate steph