IRC log of awwsw on 2008-07-15

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:51:39 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #awwsw
12:51:39 [RRSAgent]
logging to
12:52:17 [hhalpin]
does the bristol w3c dial-in number give me access to their telecon?
12:52:21 [hhalpin]
I see no reason why it would not.
12:52:29 [jar286]
i too see no reason
12:52:51 [jar286]
i'm not on the call yet... will try now
12:53:08 [hhalpin]
I am in a meeting but it's almost over.
12:53:28 [hhalpin]
I will escape in a few moments...
13:01:58 [Zakim]
TAG_(AWWSW)9:00AM has now started
13:02:05 [Zakim]
13:02:06 [dbooth]
dbooth has joined #awwsw
13:02:19 [dbooth]
zakim, code?
13:02:19 [Zakim]
the conference code is 29979 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+ tel:+44.117.370.6152), dbooth
13:02:27 [Zakim]
13:03:08 [hhalpin]
I will dial-in once I can escape a horrible meeting and talk some secretary into giving me a phone.
13:03:57 [dbooth]
Meeting: AWWSW
13:04:09 [dbooth]
Chair: Jonathan Rees (jar)
13:06:30 [jar286]
13:08:50 [Zakim]
13:09:20 [alanr]
alanr has joined #awwsw
13:12:24 [alanr]
zakim, mute me
13:12:24 [Zakim]
sorry, alanr, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
13:12:31 [alanr]
zakim, who is here
13:12:31 [Zakim]
alanr, you need to end that query with '?'
13:12:38 [alanr]
zakim, who is here?
13:12:38 [Zakim]
On the phone I see jar, DBooth, Alan
13:12:39 [Zakim]
On IRC I see alanr, dbooth, RRSAgent, hhalpin, Zakim, jar286, trackbot
13:12:50 [alanr]
zakim, Alan is alanr
13:12:50 [Zakim]
+alanr; got it
13:12:54 [alanr]
zakim, mute me
13:12:54 [Zakim]
alanr should now be muted
13:13:01 [alanr]
intent matters
13:13:24 [alanr]
going forward: represent intent explicitly
13:13:39 [alanr]
hi harry!
13:13:54 [alanr]
13:14:05 [alanr]
I've got a vacuum on, so I'm muted
13:14:09 [alanr]
13:17:08 [alanr]
in emacs :)
13:17:44 [alanr]
13:18:12 [alanr]
today's lsw fun:
13:19:05 [jar286]
13:19:35 [alanr]
here's another fun thing:
13:19:51 [alanr]
template for filling in information given an id, from sparql queries
13:20:12 [alanr]
interpreter, in lsw:
13:20:43 [alanr]
driven off of
13:20:53 [alanr]
to generate
13:21:18 [alanr]
zakim, unmute me
13:21:18 [Zakim]
alanr should no longer be muted
13:23:36 [jar286]
hhaplin, if you're paying attention, it would be great to have you on the call
13:24:21 [hhalpin]
I am trying to get on in 5 minutes.
13:26:40 [Zakim]
+ +0186528aaaa
13:26:47 [hhalpin]
Zakim, aaaa is HarryH
13:26:47 [Zakim]
+HarryH; got it
13:27:51 [alanr]
13:28:35 [dbooth]
(We've been having unstructured discussion of IRs and Alan's fun stuff involving Lisp, Java, RDF, SPARQL, etc.)
13:28:52 [dbooth]
(While waiting to see if a quorum would show up.)
13:29:03 [dbooth]
Topic: This meeting
13:29:31 [alanr]
provenance and *process*
13:29:41 [dbooth]
Harry: I think what tim wants is an ont of provenance.
13:29:48 [dbooth]
jar: that hasn't come up yet.
13:30:04 [dbooth]
harry: It's come up obliquely on swig, around RDFa.
13:31:11 [dbooth]
... Do you merge all the stuff? What if it's consistent? These questions are key, but the fuzziest part of the SW implicit ont. If tim wants an RDF ont of where RDF comes from. Given a URI, where do you get the RDF for it?
13:31:44 [jar286]
tim has said it's not worthwhile to explain what an IR is
13:31:57 [dbooth]
alan: part of the cultural gulf is that one should be able to explain what an IR is, ranging from "I know it when I see it", but some peples eyes are different than others.
13:32:51 [dbooth]
13:33:07 [alanr]
we're toddlers
13:33:10 [alanr]
3 years old
13:34:01 [alanr]
13:34:11 [dbooth]
harry: given a URI, what RDF do you get? I think these are good questions. Even if timbl can't make all the meetings, it would be good to keep hacking at these qeustions.
13:34:44 [dbooth]
jar: My next impulse is to take the artifacts that we've done in this group adn put them together in an owl ont.
13:34:50 [hhalpin]
13:34:59 [hhalpin]
shared definitions?
13:35:15 [jar286]
'home page' is but it won't answer your question of where the artifacts are
13:35:18 [dbooth]
alan: To build an ont we need to collect the terms that are worth defining. So if you have some words that should be collected, tell us.
13:35:29 [hhalpin]
timbl had something - the "log" vocabulary - looking for URI...
13:36:49 [jar286]
the other artifacts are attached to email messages.
13:37:11 [hhalpin]
13:37:16 [hhalpin]
That's tim "ontology"
13:37:26 [jar286]
ACTION: jar to collate our rules & ontologies artifacts (files) and make them more prominent in the esw wiki
13:37:26 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-6 - Collate our rules & ontologies artifacts (files) and make them more prominent in the esw wiki [on Jonathan Rees - due 2008-07-22].
13:37:40 [alanr]
collect terms
13:37:48 [alanr]
artifacts and processes
13:37:59 [hhalpin]
Like a list of terms on the ESWC wiki?
13:38:06 [alanr]
13:38:30 [hhalpin]
Maybe a good test would be to get a few of us to make an ontology without looking at other's people and see the diffs.
13:38:41 [hhalpin]
s/other's people/other people's ontologies
13:39:46 [jar286]
there are holes in the semweb. e.g. suppose you have some rdfa, linked to some rdf/xml, what do you do?
13:39:54 [jar286]
(that was hhaplin saying that)
13:40:58 [hhalpin]
+1 for questions
13:42:58 [hhalpin]
i'd be happy to help out with trying to do a survey some sort of ontology that doubles as a provenance ontology.
13:44:06 [hhalpin]
Alan - could you write that question down?
13:44:40 [jar286]
alan: question of which rdf graph to deal with is answered totally ahead of time (via owl:imports) - this is different from rdf (maybe)
13:47:33 [jar286]
ACTION: dbooth to make a meagre start on a questions list
13:47:33 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-7 - Make a meagre start on a questions list [on David Booth - due 2008-07-22].
13:48:46 [hhalpin]
OK, I'll write that list down of terms.
13:49:15 [jar286]
Tim's tabulator ontology is linked from
13:49:25 [alanr]
13:50:12 [hhalpin]
ACTION: HarryH to write some list of terms downs and put on wiki
13:50:12 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - HarryH
13:52:43 [jar286]
hhaplin: Desirable to be able to express provenance
13:53:46 [jar286]
hhalpin: where would you attach such information? how expressed in rdf? is there an algorithm?
13:56:02 [jar286]
topic: scheduling
13:57:53 [dbooth]
Here's a page for questions/use cases:
13:58:18 [dbooth]
linked from
13:59:13 [jar286]
We will meet in one week
14:02:06 [Zakim]
14:04:01 [alanr]
no doubt about that :)
14:07:33 [jar286]
officially adjourned.
14:07:42 [jar286]
unofficially continuing.
14:10:11 [Zakim]
14:10:30 [hhalpin]
bye (officially)!
14:22:36 [Zakim]
14:22:38 [Zakim]
14:22:38 [Zakim]
TAG_(AWWSW)9:00AM has ended
14:22:39 [Zakim]
Attendees were jar, DBooth, alanr, +0186528aaaa, HarryH
15:28:32 [jar286]
rrsagent, make logs public
15:28:56 [jar286]
zakim, bye
15:28:56 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #awwsw