IRC log of mw4d on 2008-07-07

Timestamps are in UTC.

11:51:13 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #mw4d
11:51:13 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2008/07/07-mw4d-irc
11:51:20 [steph]
zakim, this will be MW4D
11:51:20 [Zakim]
ok, steph; I see UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM scheduled to start in 9 minutes
11:51:32 [steph]
zakim, make log public
11:51:32 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'make log public', steph
11:51:39 [steph]
rrsagent, make log public
11:53:20 [ewheeler]
ewheeler has joined #mw4d
11:56:42 [steph]
hi Evan
11:56:46 [steph]
good to see you
11:56:49 [steph]
zakim, code ?
11:56:49 [Zakim]
the conference code is 6493 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), steph
11:57:12 [ewheeler]
hello steph. thanks you too
11:57:12 [jeffs]
jeffs has joined #mw4d
11:57:23 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has now started
11:57:30 [Zakim]
+EricM
11:57:35 [jeffs]
hello,it's jeffs from RIT in the States
11:57:41 [steph]
zakim ericm is me
11:57:45 [steph]
zakim, ericm is me
11:57:45 [Zakim]
+steph; got it
11:57:49 [steph]
Hi Jeff
11:58:06 [steph]
this is Stephane
11:58:13 [jeffs]
hey there, thanks a lot for the work to make this group actually happen
11:58:26 [steph]
you are welcome !
11:58:31 [steph]
thank for your constant support !
11:58:46 [Zakim]
+ +1.336.413.aaaa
11:58:59 [steph]
zakim, aaaa is Evan
11:58:59 [Zakim]
+Evan; got it
11:59:35 [jeffs]
having problem w getting on conf syss
11:59:48 [steph]
what kind of problem ?
12:00:37 [jeffs]
says mw4d# not valid conf code
12:00:56 [jeffs]
let me redial & retry
12:01:37 [Zakim]
+ +41.22.730.aabb
12:01:48 [Zakim]
+ +0239236aacc
12:01:52 [steph]
zakim, aabb
12:01:52 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'aabb', steph
12:01:57 [steph]
zakim, aabb is Raphael
12:01:57 [Zakim]
+Raphael; got it
12:01:58 [Zakim]
+jeffs
12:02:23 [Zakim]
+??P7
12:02:25 [jeffs]
zakim, mute jeffs
12:02:25 [Zakim]
jeffs should now be muted
12:02:44 [steph]
zakim, ??P7 is JD
12:02:44 [Zakim]
+JD; got it
12:02:50 [jeffs]
spkr phone suxs... going to get earbuds
12:03:26 [jeffs]
zakim unmute jeffs
12:03:43 [jeffs]
zakim, unmute jeffs
12:03:43 [Zakim]
jeffs should no longer be muted
12:03:51 [steph]
zakim, aacc is Adesina
12:03:51 [Zakim]
+Adesina; got it
12:03:57 [Zakim]
+ +1.206.855.aadd
12:03:58 [steph]
zakim, who is here ?
12:03:58 [Zakim]
On the phone I see steph, Evan, Raphael, Adesina, jeffs, JD, +1.206.855.aadd
12:03:59 [Zakim]
On IRC I see jeffs, ewheeler, RRSAgent, Zakim, steph
12:04:19 [Zakim]
+ +1.509.443.aaee
12:04:41 [steph]
zakim, aaee is bill
12:04:44 [Zakim]
+bill; got it
12:04:48 [jeffs]
zakim, mute me
12:04:48 [Zakim]
jeffs should now be muted
12:04:53 [steph]
zakim, aadd is MaryAnn
12:04:54 [Zakim]
+MaryAnn; got it
12:05:20 [jeffs]
if running firefox, chatzilla works great
12:05:30 [Zakim]
+ +55115586aaff
12:05:38 [jeffs]
irc is the official record too
12:05:52 [steph]
zakim, aaff is tigao
12:05:52 [Zakim]
+tigao; got it
12:06:06 [steph]
zakim, who is here ?
12:06:06 [Zakim]
On the phone I see steph, Evan, Raphael, Adesina, jeffs (muted), JD, MaryAnn, bill, tigao
12:06:08 [Zakim]
On IRC I see jeffs, ewheeler, RRSAgent, Zakim, steph
12:08:13 [jeffs]
(groan) I'll try it today ONLY
12:08:28 [jeffs]
some other victim next time <evil_grin/>
12:08:33 [steph]
of course
12:09:07 [jeffs]
introductions time...
12:09:13 [steph]
Topic: introduction
12:10:50 [jeffs]
introduction: Evan from UNICEF
12:11:21 [jeffs]
introduction:
12:11:38 [steph]
papers from workshop in BRazil: http://www.w3.org/2008/02/MS4D_WS/papers/
12:11:44 [ewheeler]
zakim, mute me
12:11:44 [Zakim]
sorry, ewheeler, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
12:11:46 [jeffs]
introduction: Raphael from International Trade Center
12:11:52 [steph]
(Evan, Raphael papers)
12:12:00 [steph]
Raphael Dard
12:13:05 [jeffs]
introduction: Adesina policy globally & health issues
12:13:23 [jeffs]
zakim, unmute me
12:13:23 [Zakim]
jeffs should no longer be muted
12:13:40 [steph]
Jeff: Rochester institute
12:13:45 [steph]
member of MWBP WG
12:13:54 [steph]
interested in power of mobile devices
12:14:00 [steph]
for comm between people
12:14:04 [jeffs]
zakim, mute me
12:14:04 [Zakim]
jeffs should now be muted
12:14:05 [steph]
scribe: jeffs
12:14:32 [jeffs]
introduction: JD from Nokia
12:14:58 [ewheeler]
zakim, aaaa is ewheeler
12:14:58 [Zakim]
sorry, ewheeler, I do not recognize a party named 'aaaa'
12:15:26 [jeffs]
introduction: MaryAnn from Walt Disney
12:15:42 [jeffs]
introduction: bill
12:15:56 [steph]
EFR Source
12:16:02 [jeffs]
Bill from EFR Source in Washington State US
12:16:35 [jeffs]
introduction: tigao
12:16:56 [steph]
s/tigao/Tadao/ ?
12:17:08 [jeffs]
worldwide econ analysis & info
12:17:34 [steph]
yes, zakim, tigao is Tadao
12:17:39 [steph]
zakim, tigao is Tadao
12:17:39 [Zakim]
+Tadao; got it
12:18:01 [steph]
zakim, who is here ?
12:18:01 [Zakim]
On the phone I see steph, Evan, Raphael, Adesina, jeffs (muted), JD, MaryAnn, bill, Tadao
12:18:03 [Zakim]
On IRC I see jeffs, ewheeler, RRSAgent, Zakim, steph
12:18:40 [jeffs]
proposed agenda shift, move last item to beginning
12:18:55 [steph]
Topic: How to leverage participation from Developing Countries
12:19:16 [jeffs]
Topic: how to leverage participation from Developing Countries
12:20:06 [jeffs]
two previous workshops, clear need to mix views of people from different parts of the world & different needs/situations
12:20:34 [jeffs]
getting some mailing list participation now from people from developing regions
12:20:57 [jeffs]
question: key items/barriers to more participation?
12:21:07 [steph]
adesina
12:21:52 [jeffs]
cost of teleconference connections barrier to participation from ppl in developing world
12:22:30 [jeffs]
note presence of many small NGOs, suggests many small mtgs in developing world
12:23:15 [steph]
gary marsden from UCT
12:26:00 [jeffs]
Raphael: has contact w person in Ghana
12:26:09 [steph]
on tradenet
12:26:17 [steph]
s/om tradenet/about tradenet/
12:26:23 [steph]
s/on tradenet/about tradenet/
12:26:52 [jeffs]
expand reach of this group & discussion through mtg participants actively inviting in ppl from our personal networks
12:27:29 [jeffs]
steph: framework discussion may make easier to see who to attract
12:27:42 [Mari]
Mari has joined #mw4d
12:27:57 [jeffs]
my contribution: need to hear about needs from ppl who live & work there
12:29:04 [jeffs]
note by speaker of languages potential problem in mtgs
12:29:42 [jeffs]
Evan: est framework 1st, then maybe survey or topics-list to discuss w colleagues around the world
12:31:30 [steph]
now stephane
12:31:33 [steph]
before JD
12:31:37 [steph]
and beofre Evan
12:31:40 [jeffs]
steph: consider 2-levels of participation... ppl like on this call today dealing w 1 specific topic per mtg & inviting ppl from our networks in for specific topics
12:32:01 [steph]
yep
12:32:44 [steph]
raphael Dard
12:33:07 [steph]
http://www.w3.org/2006/12/digital_divide/wiki/
12:33:27 [jeffs]
raphael: likes wiki idea
12:33:54 [jeffs]
steph: need to discuss how to make contributions happen smoothly
12:34:07 [steph]
ACTION: stephane to start a discussion about the wiki on ht emailing-list
12:34:36 [jeffs]
steph: proposes move to major topic (framework) now
12:35:14 [jeffs]
Topic: proposed Framework or scope definition
12:35:42 [jeffs]
steph: start discussion by putting out some ideas to start with
12:36:54 [jeffs]
steph: name of group (mobile web for development) reflects reasons for group
12:37:43 [jeffs]
group to explore how to make services/expansions beyond SMS etc; having a browser on the device is not enough
12:38:22 [jeffs]
I was just saying the req'd client-side s/w would be in place/ubiquitous for basic Web connectivity
12:39:51 [jeffs]
zakim, who is here?
12:39:51 [Zakim]
On the phone I see steph, Evan, Raphael, Adesina, jeffs (muted), JD, MaryAnn, bill, Tadao
12:39:54 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Mari, jeffs, ewheeler, RRSAgent, Zakim, steph
12:40:19 [jeffs]
Adesina: what is scope? h/w? s/w? other things?
12:40:55 [jeffs]
Adesina: possible 3 segments: tech aspects, end-user, social/innovative development factors
12:41:09 [jeffs]
segment this group along those lines?
12:42:07 [jeffs]
(stepping out of scribe mode)keep as 1 group but address all 3 areas(scribing again)
12:42:24 [steph]
ok
12:43:26 [jeffs]
Adesina: global trend in devices towards mobile/portable devs in between smart phones & laptops
12:43:27 [steph]
adesina: trend is mobile device, between mobile phones and laptop
12:44:06 [jeffs]
jeffs says like emerging "sub-notebook" category (OLPC etc)
12:44:27 [jeffs]
jeffs suggests: think mobile device not mobile phone
12:44:56 [jeffs]
Adesina: knowledge workers esp need in-between devices
12:46:12 [jeffs]
steph: dangerous to focus on guessing future; Adesina: presenting what encountered
12:46:34 [jeffs]
Mari: good to have scope discussion, devices need to be taken into consideration
12:47:40 [jeffs]
Mari: list out items needed to be dealt with (broad scope of toipics), deal w one at a time one per mtg
12:48:13 [steph]
evan
12:48:58 [jeffs]
Evan: ubiquitous device pattern can be expected to persist in other regions, no matter the appropriate form-factor for that person/scenerio
12:49:07 [steph]
JD
12:49:42 [jeffs]
JD: simpler phones are cheaper, so they are attractive purchasing options for folks
12:50:04 [jeffs]
JD: likes idea of topical discussions (ea has mtg of its own)
12:51:26 [jeffs]
steph: agree, lots of projects ongoing recent years; wants to gather findings together & help avoid reinventing wheel syndrome
12:53:32 [jeffs]
steph: wants to help make number of new projects in this area curve exponentially higher, like web pages did. sees gathering existing materials as one route to that
12:53:51 [jeffs]
steph: match issues to specific findings already in lit
12:55:17 [jeffs]
Adesina: experience shows don't put out into developing world feature-less devices, will fail, & line between types of devicesw blurring
12:55:32 [jeffs]
s/devicesw/devices
12:56:10 [jeffs]
Adesina: cost, market segmentation basic issues
12:56:38 [jeffs]
steph: cost is one thing, adaption is another
12:57:01 [jeffs]
easier to extend power of devs ppl already have than to get new devs out there
12:57:49 [ewheeler]
raphael
12:58:15 [jeffs]
raphael: discussion of using the wiki
12:59:08 [jeffs]
raphael: likes the structure of the wiki also, provides focus for this & fuiture discussions
12:59:31 [jeffs]
rafael: use the wiki, use the wiki, use the wiki
13:00:03 [jeffs]
s/fuiture/future
13:01:09 [ewheeler]
evan
13:01:15 [jeffs]
Evan: other webites available to read, let us leverage
13:01:26 [jeffs]
s/webites/websites
13:01:57 [jeffs]
steph: get set up on wiki, use it, good organizing tool
13:03:25 [jeffs]
Adesina: focus on ppl already using these devices might be good for start
13:04:10 [jeffs]
step: will try to summarize the discussion over the next few days
13:04:17 [jeffs]
s/step/steph
13:04:41 [jeffs]
steph: next mtg: 21 JULY same time same virtual place
13:04:55 [jeffs]
zakim, unmute me
13:04:55 [Zakim]
jeffs should no longer be muted
13:05:01 [Zakim]
-bill
13:05:03 [Zakim]
-JD
13:05:27 [Zakim]
-Tadao
13:06:12 [Zakim]
-jeffs
13:06:30 [Zakim]
-steph
13:06:37 [Zakim]
-Evan
13:06:44 [Zakim]
-Raphael
13:06:45 [steph]
rrsagent, make logs
13:06:45 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'make logs', steph. Try /msg RRSAgent help
13:06:45 [Zakim]
-Adesina
13:06:46 [Zakim]
UW_MW4D IG()8:00AM has ended
13:06:47 [Zakim]
Attendees were steph, +1.336.413.aaaa, Evan, +41.22.730.aabb, +0239236aacc, Raphael, jeffs, JD, Adesina, +1.206.855.aadd, +1.509.443.aaee, bill, MaryAnn, +55115586aaff, Tadao
13:06:50 [steph]
rrsagent, make minutes
13:06:50 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2008/07/07-mw4d-minutes.html steph
14:36:44 [ewheeler]
ewheeler has joined #mw4d
15:32:01 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #mw4d