IRC log of waf on 2008-06-26

Timestamps are in UTC.

11:03:51 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #waf
11:03:51 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-irc
11:04:22 [Zakim]
+Art_Barstow
11:04:42 [Zakim]
+??P8
11:04:53 [ArtB]
zakim, ??P8 is Marcos
11:04:53 [Zakim]
+Marcos; got it
11:06:00 [ArtB]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapps/2008AprJun/0010.html
11:06:07 [ArtB]
Meeting: Widgets Voice Conference
11:06:11 [ArtB]
Date: 26 June 2008
11:06:16 [ArtB]
Chair: Art
11:06:19 [ArtB]
Scribe: Art
11:06:25 [ArtB]
ScribeNick: ArtB
11:06:36 [ArtB]
Regrets: Arve, Mike
11:07:19 [timeless]
timeless has joined #waf
11:07:39 [ArtB]
Present: Art, Marcos, Josh
11:08:02 [ArtB]
Topic: Review Agenda
11:08:14 [ArtB]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-webapps/2008AprJun/0010.html
11:08:29 [ArtB]
AB: any change requests?
11:09:47 [ArtB]
AB: I'd like to add to the agenda a discussion about the Widgets agenda being public or not
11:09:54 [ArtB]
AB: any objections?
11:09:56 [ArtB]
MC: no
11:09:58 [ArtB]
JS: no
11:10:20 [ArtB]
Topic: Announcements
11:10:26 [ArtB]
AB: any annoucements?
11:10:57 [ArtB]
AB: no meeting July 3 or July 10
11:11:17 [ArtB]
AB: when do you return from the UK, Marcos
11:11:22 [ArtB]
MC: late July
11:11:50 [ArtB]
JS: I'll be out the last week of July and then in October
11:12:05 [ArtB]
Topic: Meeting Logistics and Agenda
11:12:26 [ArtB]
MC: why is this meeting being done in a member confidential channel?
11:12:31 [ArtB]
AB: good question
11:12:35 [ArtB]
... because I'm lazy
11:13:28 [ArtB]
... it's a lot easier for me as the Scribe for us to use a member-only channel that makes it easy to remove any Member-only/confidential discussions that may arrive
11:13:52 [ArtB]
... If no such discussions occur, then 100% of the IRC log becomes the Public minutes
11:14:56 [ArtB]
AB: any objections to the Agenda being sent on the Public-Webapps mail list?
11:15:10 [ArtB]
AB: that's OK with me
11:15:13 [ArtB]
JS: OK with me
11:15:16 [ArtB]
MC: OK with me
11:16:07 [ArtB]
ACTION: barstow propose all future Widget agendas be Public and give the WG two weeks to discuss/object
11:16:07 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-188 - Propose all future Widget agendas be Public and give the WG two weeks to discuss/object [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-07-03].
11:16:34 [ArtB]
Topic: Comments on the Requirements LC doc
11:16:41 [ArtB]
AB: thanks Marcos for getting this out!
11:16:48 [ArtB]
JS: I sent Marcos comments already
11:17:14 [ArtB]
... I sent him some additional comments
11:17:25 [ArtB]
... I still have some more comments to submit
11:18:41 [ArtB]
AB: Marcos, anything you want to discuss?
11:19:07 [ArtB]
MC: it's hard to discuss some of the issues without Arve being present
11:19:23 [ArtB]
... e.g. he proposed the Security Model
11:19:47 [ArtB]
MC: we also need to have Thomas present for any detailed discussions about Dig Signatures
11:20:10 [ArtB]
MC: Josh raised some good issues that we need to discuss
11:20:16 [Lachy]
Lachy has joined #waf
11:20:57 [ArtB]
... thanks for sending the comments!
11:21:26 [ArtB]
AB: an action for me, really to make sure we get the right people on the calls re Dig Sig and Security
11:21:53 [ArtB]
... We should also try to get Thomas to attend the Turin meeting
11:22:10 [ArtB]
ACTION: Barstow invite Thomas to the Turin meeting re Dig Sig and Security
11:22:12 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-189 - Invite Thomas to the Turin meeting re Dig Sig and Security [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-07-03].
11:22:54 [ArtB]
AB: can you describe the Tracker your using for LC comments, Marcos?
11:24:01 [ArtB]
MC: it's a simple system and addresses many of my requirements
11:24:45 [ArtB]
AB: http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/42538/WD-widgets-reqs-20080625
11:24:56 [ArtB]
AB: nice, I see Marcos is already using it
11:25:13 [ArtB]
... I like the consistency we can get if everyone uses it
11:25:31 [ArtB]
AB: the only issue I see is the data is Member-confidential
11:25:42 [ArtB]
MC: that's more of an annoyance then a concern
11:26:28 [ArtB]
... If people want the data Public, I can do it in a text file
11:27:02 [ArtB]
... or if it has a report generator that creates a text format that would be good
11:27:32 [ArtB]
Topic: Josh's Short Intro
11:27:43 [ArtB]
JS: I've been with Mozilla for about eight years
11:27:51 [ArtB]
... working on a bunch of different things
11:28:17 [ArtB]
... I've also worked in Security and mobile content
11:28:42 [ArtB]
... I currently work on Nokia's Internet Tablet product
11:29:06 [ArtB]
... WRT WebApps, I'm mainly interested in the Widgets work
11:29:41 [ArtB]
AB: it's good to get some "new eyes" looking at our specs
11:29:46 [ArtB]
MC: yes, it's really helpful
11:30:45 [ArtB]
ACTION: Barstow talk to Yahoo!'s AC rep about joining WebApps and participating in the Widgets work
11:30:45 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-190 - Talk to Yahoo!'s AC rep about joining WebApps and participating in the Widgets work [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-07-03].
11:32:36 [ArtB]
Topic: Open Actions
11:32:54 [ArtB]
AB: http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/products/5
11:35:11 [ArtB]
ACTION: Barstow close Issue #17 - we will include Auto Updates in v1.0
11:35:11 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-191 - Close Issue #17 - we will include Auto Updates in v1.0 [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-07-03].
11:36:50 [ArtB]
AB: Action #24 - http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/issues/24
11:37:02 [ArtB]
AB: we need to define some type of extension mechanism
11:37:08 [ArtB]
JS: yes, this is important
11:37:21 [ArtB]
MC: I sent a proposal but it didn't get much support
11:38:54 [ArtB]
ACTION: Barstow close #24 and re-open a new issue that emphasizes the issue raised in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008AprJun/0312.html
11:38:54 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-192 - Close #24 and re-open a new issue that emphasizes the issue raised in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008AprJun/0312.html [on Arthur Barstow - due 2008-07-03].
11:39:55 [ArtB]
MC: I can close Action #122
11:41:39 [ArtB]
AB: it would to close as many of these as possible to minimize the number that need to copied to WebApps
11:41:56 [ArtB]
MC: we can close #139 but should check with Charles first
11:42:27 [ArtB]
AB: I will close #140 after I ask WSC WG to review the LC doc
11:43:39 [ArtB]
AB: what about #143?
11:43:56 [ArtB]
MC: we've discussed this and deciced we want to "sign everything"
11:44:08 [heycam]
heycam has joined #waf
11:47:01 [ArtB]
MC: I recommend we close #143
11:47:10 [ArtB]
AB: OK with me
11:47:14 [ArtB]
JS: me too
11:48:17 [marcos]
MC: closed 187
11:48:58 [ArtB]
MC: OK, I'll close it
11:49:07 [marcos]
MC: closed 185
11:50:15 [ArtB]
JS: 19 Dec 2007, Art said he would ask Nokia for a widget security model - part of Action #144
11:50:25 [ArtB]
AB: I'm sure I asked for it
11:50:39 [ArtB]
... but I didn't get anything I could share with the public
11:53:00 [ArtB]
Topic: Digital Signature
11:53:34 [ArtB]
JS: did you Art make any progress on Action #183 http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/actions/183 - Investigate Java model for multiple signatures
11:54:30 [ArtB]
AB: yes, I got some info
11:55:11 [ArtB]
... In MIDP 2.1, only one signature is allowed in a JAR file
11:55:26 [ArtB]
... MIDP 3.0, a JAR can contain multiple signatures
11:55:37 [ArtB]
MC: we need to raise an issue on this then
11:55:50 [ArtB]
... we need to know "how many signatures to support?"
11:56:00 [ArtB]
... I think we were moving to supporting multiple
11:56:32 [ArtB]
JS: multiple sigs can be useful when certs come from multiple sources
11:57:23 [ArtB]
MC: a question is whether the signature is signed or the contents is signed more than once
11:58:19 [ArtB]
AB: Certificate chaining is supported and deployed widely, I think any signature specification including the widgets signing spec should support it.
11:58:31 [ArtB]
MC: we are doing that now
11:59:00 [ArtB]
AB: Multiple signing is more uncommon. In MIDP, multiple signatures are "parallel" i.e. every signer signs the content independently, signers do not sign each other's signatures
11:59:44 [ArtB]
MC: we don't have a solution for either of these at the moment
12:00:37 [ArtB]
AB: where is "certificate chaining" defined?
12:00:45 [ArtB]
MC: XML Signature spec defines it
12:02:50 [ArtB]
MC: it would be good to outline the major use cases in the Dig Sig spec
12:03:22 [ArtB]
... I can create those use cases
12:03:58 [ArtB]
JS: I can contribute; this document is important
12:04:06 [ArtB]
... and I will submit comments on it
12:05:32 [ArtB]
JS: what is the plan for Dig Sig spec?
12:05:50 [ArtB]
MC: the core validation stuff needs to fleshed out
12:06:10 [ArtB]
... Getting the core done is most important
12:06:44 [ArtB]
MC: I will try to coordinate working with Josh
12:08:02 [ArtB]
Topic: AOB
12:08:21 [ArtB]
MC: I plan to focus on Auto Updates next week
12:09:15 [ArtB]
... want to get that published soon-ish
12:09:51 [ArtB]
... certainly before the f2f in Turin
12:10:16 [ArtB]
MC: I'm concerned about the Security spec and the API spec
12:14:51 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, make logs Public
12:14:59 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, make minutes
12:14:59 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html ArtB
12:16:09 [ArtB]
AB: I'll be on vacation the next two weeks. Return to the Inbox on July 14.
12:16:15 [marcos]
MC: Will be on Vacation on 5-10th
12:17:02 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, make minutes
12:17:02 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-minutes.html ArtB
12:18:30 [Zakim]
-Art_Barstow
12:18:32 [Zakim]
- +358.504.86aaaa
12:18:58 [ArtB]
zakim, bye
12:18:58 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were +358.504.86aaaa, Art_Barstow, Marcos
12:18:58 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #waf
12:19:08 [ArtB]
RRSAgent, bye
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
I see 5 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-actions.rdf :
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: barstow propose all future Widget agendas be Public and give the WG two weeks to discuss/object [1]
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-irc#T11-16-07
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Barstow invite Thomas to the Turin meeting re Dig Sig and Security [2]
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-irc#T11-22-10
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Barstow talk to Yahoo!'s AC rep about joining WebApps and participating in the Widgets work [3]
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-irc#T11-30-45
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Barstow close Issue #17 - we will include Auto Updates in v1.0 [4]
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-irc#T11-35-11
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Barstow close #24 and re-open a new issue that emphasizes the issue raised in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2008AprJun/0312.html [5]
12:19:08 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/26-waf-irc#T11-38-54