IRC log of webapps on 2008-06-18

Timestamps are in UTC.

18:31:46 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webapps
18:31:46 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-irc
18:31:48 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
18:31:48 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webapps
18:31:50 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be WAPP
18:31:50 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
18:31:51 [trackbot]
Meeting: Web Applications Working Group Teleconference
18:31:51 [trackbot]
Date: 18 June 2008
18:32:15 [shepazu]
Zakim, code?
18:32:15 [Zakim]
sorry, shepazu, I don't know what conference this is
18:32:38 [shepazu]
Zakim, this is DOM3
18:32:38 [Zakim]
shepazu, I see IA_WebAPI(DOM3)2:30PM in the schedule but not yet started. Perhaps you mean "this will be DOM3".
18:32:56 [shepazu]
Zakim, this will be DOM3
18:32:56 [Zakim]
ok, shepazu; I see IA_WebAPI(DOM3)2:30PM scheduled to start 2 minutes ago
18:32:59 [Zakim]
IA_WebAPI(DOM3)2:30PM has now started
18:33:06 [shepazu]
Zakim, code?
18:33:06 [Zakim]
the conference code is 3663 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), shepazu
18:33:08 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
18:33:12 [shepazu]
Zakim, call shepazu
18:33:12 [Zakim]
ok, shepazu; the call is being made
18:33:14 [Zakim]
+Shepazu
18:33:23 [smaug]
Zakim, IPcaller is me
18:33:23 [Zakim]
+smaug; got it
18:34:08 [shepazu]
Chair: Doug Schepers
18:34:16 [shepazu]
Regrets: Andrew Emmons
18:35:47 [arve_]
arve_ has joined #webapps
18:36:14 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-Events-eventgroupings-wheelevents
18:45:55 [Travis]
Travis has joined #webapps
18:47:02 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
18:49:17 [shepazu]
Action: smaug to produce test template for D3E
18:49:17 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-5 - Produce test template for D3E [on Olli Pettay - due 2008-06-25].
18:49:57 [shepazu]
scribe: Olli Pettay
18:50:03 [shepazu]
scribeNick: smaug
18:50:56 [smaug]
Zakim, list attendees
18:50:56 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been Shepazu, smaug, [Microsoft]
18:50:59 [shepazu]
Topic: Wheel Event
18:53:31 [shepazu]
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/18_Jun_2008
18:53:58 [shepazu]
file://localhost/Users/schepers/Documents/Work/W3C/Repository/dev/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-Events-eventgroupings-wheelevents
18:54:13 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-Events-eventgroupings-wheelevents
18:55:13 [smaug]
Doug: added definitions of roll and rotation
18:55:32 [smaug]
Doug> added definitions of roll and rotation
18:56:11 [smaug]
Travis: so MouseWheel is the legacy event
18:57:17 [smaug]
Doug: there are several different mousewheel events; mouseWheel & DOMMouseScroll
18:58:17 [smaug]
Doug: so new event is created: Wheel
18:58:34 [smaug]
Doug: but still define the legacy MouseWheel
19:01:06 [smaug]
Travis: could add some diagram
19:01:34 [smaug]
ACTION: Doug to add a diagram about wheel axes etc
19:01:34 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-6 - Add a diagram about wheel axes etc [on Doug Schepers - due 2008-06-25].
19:04:16 [smaug]
smaug: problem is that systems produce events with line scroll delta and pixel delta
19:04:48 [smaug]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robceemoz/2587912633/
19:05:33 [Travis]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-cssom-view-20080222/#scroll-attributes
19:05:47 [Travis]
(It's not quite complete, obviously...)
19:09:35 [shepazu]
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-event-scroll
19:10:12 [smaug]
smaug:scroll event happens after scrolling
19:11:51 [smaug]
Doug: HTML and CSS should define that if element is capable to scroll, scroll should bubble to document
19:12:03 [smaug]
smaug: the default handling shouldn't bubble to document
19:12:53 [arve]
[not participating, but following by accident] make sure that the delta is well-defined both in terms of value and direction, browser deviate on both, some send +1 where others send -60
19:17:47 [smaug]
Travis: wondering about the 2nd paragraph of 1.3
19:19:12 [smaug]
checkboxes and radiobuttons are special cases
19:19:18 [shepazu]
arve, will do
19:19:46 [arve]
shepazu: my highly personal proposal is to define an angle and a distance
19:19:55 [smaug]
ACTION: Doug to clarify default actions (section 1.3)
19:19:55 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-7 - Clarify default actions (section 1.3) [on Doug Schepers - due 2008-06-25].
19:20:13 [smaug]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#the-click
19:20:52 [smaug]
Doug: many things should be defined by the host language
19:21:57 [smaug]
Doug: Both HTML and SVG should define click event handling on a link - event bubbles, default action is to fire DOMAction ...
19:23:10 [smaug]
Doug: back to mousewheel
19:24:02 [smaug]
Doug: arve had idea about angle
19:25:22 [smaug]
Doug: Who should default the default handling of wheel event?
19:27:01 [smaug]
smaug: the default handling depends on ctrl, alt keys etc
19:28:49 [smaug]
Doug: I'll put a note that host language should define the default action for the wheel event
19:29:21 [shepazu]
angle could be derived from the distance of deltaX and deltaY
19:30:20 [smaug]
Doug: how often would you actually need angle?
19:34:37 [smaug]
smaug: wheelevent should expose the type of the scroll units
19:36:01 [smaug]
Travis: wheelevent should use some common units
19:39:51 [smaug]
Doug: need to discuss about wheel event on the list
19:40:25 [smaug]
Travis: should the default action of wheel fire scroll or cause scroll ?
19:40:33 [smaug]
smaug: cause scroll
19:40:39 [smaug]
which may cause scroll event
19:43:06 [smaug]
Doug: one can change the default handling of mouse wheel on system; how many lines are scrolled
19:44:14 [smaug]
Doug: should we actually have wheel event with its own units, like pixels
19:47:31 [Travis]
http://forums.devshed.com/html-programming-1/drop-down-lists-15.html
19:51:58 [smaug]
Doug: host language defines how to react to rolls
19:59:16 [smaug]
Doug: roll is abstract unit
20:01:36 [smaug]
http://mozilla.pettay.fi/moztests/pixelscrolling.mov
20:03:00 [smaug]
I lost connection?
20:03:03 [smaug]
are you there ?
20:03:25 [smaug]
shepazu: ?
20:03:38 [shepazu]
hey?
20:03:47 [smaug]
can you hear me?
20:03:47 [shepazu]
call back in, maybe?
20:03:49 [shepazu]
no
20:03:50 [smaug]
ok
20:05:25 [smaug]
"The conference is restricted at this time"
20:05:51 [smaug]
can't call in
20:06:01 [shepazu]
sigh
20:06:43 [shepazu]
maybe we should continue on email
20:06:49 [smaug]
sure
20:06:53 [shepazu]
and wiki
20:07:00 [smaug]
but check that video, if you haven't
20:07:09 [smaug]
it shows the basic problem
20:07:16 [smaug]
well, one of them
20:07:41 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
20:07:43 [shepazu]
Zakim, bye
20:07:43 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were Shepazu, smaug, [Microsoft]
20:07:43 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #webapps
20:07:53 [shepazu]
RRSAgent, make minutes
20:07:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2008/06/18-webapps-minutes.html shepazu