IRC log of wai-wcag on 2008-05-22

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:56:26 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wai-wcag
16:56:26 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-wai-wcag-irc
16:59:21 [jeanne]
MichaelC, is this an ad-hoc conference? What code will we use?
17:02:52 [Loretta]
Loretta has joined #wai-wcag
17:03:14 [MichaelC]
zakim, room for 5?
17:03:15 [Zakim]
ok, MichaelC; conference Team_(wai-wcag)17:03Z scheduled with code 26631 (CONF1) for 60 minutes until 1803Z
17:03:16 [Loretta]
Do we have a code for calling in?
17:03:21 [MichaelC]
zakim, call cooper-mit
17:03:21 [Zakim]
ok, MichaelC; the call is being made
17:03:22 [Zakim]
Team_(wai-wcag)17:03Z has now started
17:03:23 [Zakim]
+Cooper
17:04:00 [MichaelC]
loretta, jeanne: 26631
17:04:35 [Zakim]
+Jeanne
17:06:28 [Zakim]
+Loretta_Guarino_Reid
17:09:13 [MichaelC]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/CR-eval/
17:12:06 [judy]
judy has joined #wai-wcag
17:12:23 [judy]
zakim, code?
17:12:23 [Zakim]
the conference code is 26631 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), judy
17:12:31 [judy]
zakim, thanks
17:12:31 [Zakim]
you are very welcome, judy
17:14:01 [Zakim]
+Judy
17:15:38 [MichaelC]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/CR-eval/
17:15:47 [Loretta]
go to implementation page http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/CR-eval/implementations
17:16:00 [Loretta]
THen click on Evaluate button for any of the entries
17:16:30 [Loretta]
Then press Begin Evaluation
17:53:52 [Loretta]
www.cita.uiuc.edu
17:54:18 [Loretta]
firefox.cita.uiuc.edu
17:54:25 [Loretta]
html.cita.uiuc.edu
17:54:35 [Loretta]
http://html.cita.uiuc.edu
18:03:47 [MichaelC]
I have 61 SC in the DB - if the actual count is different I'd better find out about it soon...
18:10:58 [Zakim]
-Judy
18:11:29 [Zakim]
-Loretta_Guarino_Reid
18:11:31 [Zakim]
-Cooper
18:11:32 [Zakim]
-Jeanne
18:11:33 [Zakim]
Team_(wai-wcag)17:03Z has ended
18:11:34 [Zakim]
Attendees were Cooper, Jeanne, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Judy
18:11:58 [jeanne]
jeanne has left #wai-wcag
19:13:44 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #wai-wcag
19:50:16 [bengt]
bengt has joined #wai-wcag
19:57:42 [rellero]
rellero has joined #wai-wcag
20:00:25 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #wai-wcag
20:00:26 [Sofia]
Sofia has joined #wai-wcag
20:00:29 [MichaelC]
zakim, this will be wai_wcag
20:00:29 [Zakim]
ok, MichaelC; I see WAI_WCAG()3:00PM scheduled to start 60 minutes ago
20:00:30 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()3:00PM has now started
20:00:37 [Zakim]
+Alex_Li
20:00:37 [MichaelC]
zakim, call cooper-mit
20:00:38 [Zakim]
ok, MichaelC; the call is being made
20:00:38 [Zakim]
+Cooper
20:00:42 [Zakim]
+ +1.443.415.aaaa
20:01:09 [Zakim]
+??P10
20:01:11 [Ben]
zakim, ??P10 is Ben_Caldwell
20:01:11 [Zakim]
+Ben_Caldwell; got it
20:01:17 [MichaelC]
zakim, +1.443 is Bruce_Bailey
20:01:18 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey; got it
20:01:25 [Zakim]
+Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:01:38 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:01:48 [Zakim]
+??P13
20:01:51 [Zakim]
+David_MacDonald
20:01:55 [Zakim]
+Don
20:01:57 [Ben]
zakim, Ben_Caldwell has Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:01:57 [Zakim]
+Gregg_Vanderheiden; got it
20:02:01 [rellero]
zakim, ??P13 is Roberto_Ellero
20:02:01 [Zakim]
+Roberto_Ellero; got it
20:02:07 [awk]
awk has joined #WAI-WCAG
20:02:13 [Zakim]
+??P14
20:02:22 [Zakim]
+ +001415440aabb
20:02:27 [bengt]
zakim, ??P14 is Bengt_Farre
20:02:27 [Zakim]
+Bengt_Farre; got it
20:02:32 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:03:10 [Sofia]
zakim, ??P14 is Sofia_celic
20:03:10 [Zakim]
I already had ??P14 as Bengt_Farre, Sofia
20:03:10 [Tim]
Tim has joined #wai-wcag
20:03:11 [Zakim]
+Tim_Boland
20:03:42 [MichaelC]
zakim, +00 is Sofia_Celic
20:03:42 [Zakim]
+Sofia_Celic; got it
20:04:08 [Zakim]
+Loretta_Guarino_Reid
20:04:18 [Andi]
Andi has joined #wai-wcag
20:06:53 [awk]
awk has joined #WAI-WCAG
20:07:21 [greggvanderheiden]
greggvanderheiden has joined #wai-wcag
20:09:36 [Tim]
Topic: Miscellaneous Proposals for 15 May 2008
20:09:53 [Zakim]
-Sofia_Celic
20:09:54 [Tim]
Topic: Understanding SC 3.2.2 (On Input)
20:10:11 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
20:10:36 [Tim]
Resolution: accepted as proposed
20:10:56 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:11:00 [Tim]
Topic: Technology Accessibility Support Self-Report Form
20:11:25 [Zakim]
+Sofia_Celic
20:12:20 [Zakim]
+??P6
20:12:22 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:12:31 [MichaelC]
zakim, Microsoft is probably Cynthia_Shelly
20:12:31 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelly?; got it
20:13:42 [Loretta]
ack c
20:14:47 [greggvanderheiden]
q+
20:15:07 [Tim]
ack gregg
20:15:16 [MichaelC]
q+ to ask who ??P6 is
20:23:29 [Tim]
ack mc
20:23:31 [Loretta]
ack m
20:23:31 [Zakim]
MichaelC, you wanted to ask who ??P6 is
20:24:48 [Zakim]
-David_MacDonald
20:26:38 [Ben]
zakim, who's making noise?
20:26:45 [Tim]
Resolution: sent back for additional work
20:26:48 [Zakim]
Ben, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Loretta_Guarino_Reid (14%), Cynthia_Shelly? (13%), Bruce_Bailey (18%), Ben_Caldwell (5%), Andi_Snow_Weaver (5%),
20:26:52 [Zakim]
... Tim_Boland (42%)
20:27:05 [Andi]
Andi has left #wai-wcag
20:27:13 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 2.4.5: Providing a search function to help users find content
20:27:14 [Andi]
Andi has joined #wai-wcag
20:27:21 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:28:35 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:28:36 [Tim]
Resolution: accept as amended
20:29:17 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 3.3.2: Positioning labels to maximize predictability of relationships
20:31:56 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:35:13 [Zakim]
+David_MacDonald
20:35:48 [David_MacDonald]
David_MacDonald has joined #wai-wcag
20:35:50 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:36:15 [MichaelC]
q+ to say I have done testing in the past and found that labels before checkboxes were not automatically detected
20:36:45 [Tim]
ack mc
20:37:10 [MichaelC]
ack me
20:37:10 [Zakim]
MichaelC, you wanted to say I have done testing in the past and found that labels before checkboxes were not automatically detected
20:37:56 [David_MacDonald]
q+
20:39:01 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:39:42 [Tim]
ack David
20:51:18 [Tim]
Resolution: accepted as amended
20:51:26 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:51:38 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 3.3.2: Using adjacent button to label the purpose of a field
20:52:49 [Ben]
q+ to suggest the example in cynthia's comment is what should be here
20:52:56 [Tim]
ack Ben
20:52:56 [Zakim]
Ben, you wanted to suggest the example in cynthia's comment is what should be here
20:53:15 [MichaelC]
q+
20:53:56 [Loretta]
ack c
20:53:58 [Tim]
ack cynthia
20:54:17 [Tim]
ack mc
20:56:06 [MichaelC]
ack me
20:56:58 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:57:51 [Tim]
Resolution: sent back for rework
20:58:20 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 3.1.6: Using standard diacritical marks that can be turned off
20:58:59 [Tim]
Resolution: accept as amended
20:59:21 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 3.3.4 and 3.3.6: Asking for confirmation before final submission
21:05:22 [Andi]
q+
21:05:32 [Loretta]
ack a
21:09:05 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 3.3.4 and 3.3.6: Providing a dialog to the user which requires ..
21:09:23 [Tim]
Resolution: combine the two previous techniques into one
21:09:41 [Tim]
Action: Sofia to do that combination
21:10:17 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 3.3.4 and 3.3.6: Providing a stated period of time after submission ...
21:11:04 [Tim]
ack alex
21:21:30 [Tim]
Resolution: accept as amended
21:21:58 [Tim]
Topic: Miscellaneous Proposals for 22 May 2008
21:22:20 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for SC 1.4.4, 1.4.5 and 1.4.9: Using CSS to control visual presentation of text
21:27:23 [Tim]
Action: Cynthia to work on Example 13
21:29:54 [Tim]
Resolution: accept as amended
21:30:16 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 2.1.1: Making JavaScript actions keyboard accessible ...
21:35:48 [Zakim]
+ +1.301.668.aacc
21:36:40 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.584.aadd
21:37:09 [MichaelC]
zakim, +1.617 is Andrew_Kirkpatrick
21:37:09 [Zakim]
+Andrew_Kirkpatrick; got it
21:37:10 [Ben]
zakim, +1.301.668.aacc is Bruce_Bailey
21:37:10 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey; got it
21:38:16 [Sofia]
q+
21:38:41 [Loretta]
ack s
21:42:18 [awk]
q+
21:42:31 [Tim]
ack awk
21:44:44 [Tim]
Action: Cynthia to revise Javascript example in technique and provide working file
21:49:54 [Tim]
Action: chairs to put discussion of other technologies on upcoming WCAG call
21:57:18 [Tim]
Resolution: send back to rework
21:57:54 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 2.1.1: Adding keyboard-accessible actions to static HTML elements AND ...
22:01:20 [Zakim]
-Don
22:04:13 [Tim]
ack Bruce
22:04:41 [Zakim]
-Bengt_Farre
22:06:48 [Tim]
Action: Loretta to investigate VoiceOver
22:10:40 [Tim]
Resolution: accept as amended
22:11:10 [Zakim]
-Sofia_Celic
22:11:19 [Tim]
Topic: Sufficient technique for 2.4.1: Using an expandable and collapsible menu
22:12:26 [Zakim]
+Sofia_Celic
22:16:30 [Zakim]
-Katie_Haritos-Shea
22:16:33 [Tim]
Resolution: accept as amended
22:16:39 [greggvanderheiden]
When labels for form fields are positioned where the user expects them visually, it is easier to understand complex forms and to locate specific fields. Labels for most fields are positioned immediately before the field, that is, for left-to-right languages, either to the left of the field or above it, and for right-to-left languages, to the right of the field or above it. Labels for radio buttons and checkboxes are positioned after the fiel
22:16:39 [greggvanderheiden]
These positions are defined because that is the usual (and therefore most predictable) position for the label for fields, radiobuttons and checkboxes. Labels are before input fields since the fields sometimes vary in length and it is easier to positioning them before allows the labels to line up. It also makes them easier to locate with a screen reader since they are immediately before the field and also can be found in a vertical column if
22:16:41 [greggvanderheiden]
Checkboxes and radio buttons have a uniform width while their labels often do not. Having the radio button or checkbox first therefore allows both the buttons and the labels to line up vertically.
22:21:20 [Zakim]
-Cynthia_Shelly?
22:21:21 [Zakim]
-Alex_Li
22:21:23 [Zakim]
-Cooper
22:21:24 [Zakim]
-Andi_Snow_Weaver
22:21:25 [Zakim]
-Tim_Boland
22:21:26 [Zakim]
-Sofia_Celic
22:21:27 [Zakim]
-Andrew_Kirkpatrick
22:21:30 [Zakim]
-David_MacDonald
22:21:36 [Zakim]
-Loretta_Guarino_Reid
22:21:38 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
22:23:03 [Zakim]
-Ben_Caldwell
22:23:56 [awk]
awk has left #WAI-WCAG
22:23:57 [greggvanderheiden]
greggvanderheiden has left #wai-wcag
22:26:40 [Ben]
RRSAgent, pointer?
22:26:40 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-wai-wcag-irc#T22-26-40
22:26:55 [Ben]
RRSAgent, make log world
22:27:44 [Ben]
Present: Cynthia_Shelly, Alex_Li, Michael_Cooper, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Tim_Boland, Sofia_Celic, Andrew_Kirkpatrick, David_MacDonald, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Bruce_Bailey, Ben_Caldwell, Gregg_Vanderheiden
22:27:47 [Ben]
RRSAgent, bye
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
I see 5 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-wai-wcag-actions.rdf :
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Sofia to do that combination [1]
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-wai-wcag-irc#T21-09-41
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Cynthia to work on Example 13 [2]
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-wai-wcag-irc#T21-27-23
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Cynthia to revise Javascript example in technique and provide working file [3]
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-wai-wcag-irc#T21-44-44
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: chairs to put discussion of other technologies on upcoming WCAG call [4]
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-wai-wcag-irc#T21-49-54
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Loretta to investigate VoiceOver [5]
22:27:47 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/05/22-wai-wcag-irc#T22-06-48
22:27:54 [Ben]
Zakim, bye
22:27:54 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were Alex_Li, Cooper, +1.443.415.aaaa, Bruce_Bailey, Andi_Snow_Weaver, David_MacDonald, Don, Gregg_Vanderheiden, Roberto_Ellero,
22:27:54 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #wai-wcag
22:27:57 [Zakim]
... +001415440aabb, Bengt_Farre, Tim_Boland, Sofia_Celic, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Cynthia_Shelly?, Katie_Haritos-Shea, +1.617.584.aadd, Andrew_Kirkpatrick