UFDTF Minutes 07th November 2007
Alan said this, and goals/styles/audiences was added, to end of agenda. To make time, the discussion of specific documents was limited to just Use Case and Requirements.
- Conrad, Alan, jjc, bijan, MartinD, EvanWallace, pfps, ElisaKendall
Time of Next Meeting
Thursday 15th Rome 18:30 London 17:30 New York 12:30 Silicon Valley 09:30 Korea (fri) 02:30
Alan would prefer a bit later, but Jeremy has engagement from 18:15 - 20:00 (London).
which docs could we/should we start now?
Overview not discussed.
Jeremy + Vipul are happy to start work on Use case and requirements with traceability matrix, prior to any answers about whether the TF or WG would want to publish such a document, or the means of publication.
There were no objections to them starting
Free ranging discussion, some key points, (mis)reconstructed by scribe.
- What do people agree about concerning the aims of the documentation?
- e.g. is there agreement that documentation that is likely to go stale quickly is bad
- disagree. Some documents may have useful, but short, lives.
- I care most about formal deliverables.
- Material can move between documents later (e.g. from a formal WG document to a Wiki)
- The WG could produce some documents that people might read to learn about the technology produced by the W3C.
- I dislike the W3C producing tutorial style material.
- It detracts from the key mission of the WG, which is to produce the technology, and its formal description.
- In my company, I produce tutorial style material, and the W3C material competes unfairly.
- I've seen tutorials scattered over the Web.
- I would like to see better materials at W3C, because that's where people go first.
- I am unhappy helping produce or review inferior material that will compete unfairly with my company's tutorials.
- I think it is good for all WG participants to be able to participate in the WG.
- Some WG participants are best at producing informative documents.
- This helps them contribute to the primary task of the WG, by reviewing the techincal documents, and design, in order to write the informative documents.
- Third party informative documents are better, but these are often based on W3C informative material.
- Scribe missed
- I am flabbergasted by Bijan's position.