IRC log of xmlsec on 2007-07-10

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:29:56 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #xmlsec
12:29:56 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-xmlsec-irc
12:30:00 [tlr]
zakim, this will be xmlsec
12:30:00 [Zakim]
ok, tlr; I see T&S_XMLSEC()9:00AM scheduled to start in 30 minutes
12:30:07 [tlr]
rrsagent, make this record public
12:30:14 [tlr]
Meeting: XML Security Specifications Maint WG weekly
12:30:18 [tlr]
Date: 10 July 2007
12:30:45 [tlr]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jul/0006.html
12:31:01 [tlr]
previous: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jul/0000.html
12:38:03 [fjh]
fjh has joined #xmlsec
12:52:42 [hal]
hal has joined #xmlsec
12:52:51 [fjh]
zakim, this will be xmlsec
12:52:51 [Zakim]
ok, fjh; I see T&S_XMLSEC()9:00AM scheduled to start in 8 minutes
12:54:16 [fjh]
Meeting: XML Security Specifications Maintenance WG Conference Call
12:54:25 [fjh]
Chair: Frederick Hirsch
12:54:34 [fjh]
ScribeNick: hal
12:55:19 [fjh]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jul/0006.html
12:55:30 [fjh]
RRSAgent, make log public
12:55:43 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
12:55:43 [Zakim]
T&S_XMLSEC()9:00AM has not yet started, fjh
12:55:43 [Zakim]
On IRC I see hal, fjh, RRSAgent, Zakim, tlr, trackbot-ng
12:58:04 [fjh]
zakim, what is the code?
12:58:04 [Zakim]
the conference code is 965732 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), fjh
12:58:35 [Zakim]
T&S_XMLSEC()9:00AM has now started
12:58:42 [Zakim]
+Frederick_Hirsch
12:58:53 [fjh]
zakim, mute me
12:58:53 [Zakim]
sorry, fjh, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
12:59:03 [fjh]
zakim, who is on the call
12:59:03 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is on the call', fjh
12:59:08 [tlr]
zakim, call thomas-781
12:59:08 [Zakim]
ok, tlr; the call is being made
12:59:09 [Zakim]
+Thomas
12:59:10 [fjh]
zakim, who is on the call?
12:59:10 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Frederick_Hirsch, Thomas (muted)
12:59:16 [Zakim]
+ +1.613.726.aaaa
12:59:24 [tlr]
zakim, aaaa is EdSimon
12:59:24 [Zakim]
+EdSimon; got it
12:59:34 [sean]
sean has joined #xmlsec
13:00:05 [tlr]
zakim, I am thomas
13:00:05 [Zakim]
ok, tlr, I now associate you with Thomas
13:00:06 [tlr]
zakim, mute me
13:00:06 [Zakim]
Thomas should now be muted
13:00:07 [fjh]
zakim, i am Frederick_Hirsch
13:00:08 [Zakim]
ok, fjh, I now associate you with Frederick_Hirsch
13:00:15 [fjh]
zakim, mute me
13:00:16 [Zakim]
Frederick_Hirsch should now be muted
13:00:20 [fjh]
zakim, unmute me
13:00:22 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.876.aabb
13:00:26 [Zakim]
Frederick_Hirsch should no longer be muted
13:00:28 [rmiller]
rmiller has joined #xmlsec
13:00:31 [tlr]
zakim, aabb is sean
13:00:36 [Zakim]
+sean; got it
13:01:08 [Zakim]
+Hal_Lockhart
13:01:25 [Zakim]
+ +1.443.695.aacc
13:01:32 [tlr]
zakim, aacc is rmiller
13:01:32 [Zakim]
+rmiller; got it
13:01:44 [fjh]
zakim, who is on the call?
13:01:44 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Frederick_Hirsch, Thomas (muted), EdSimon, sean, Hal_Lockhart, rmiller
13:02:01 [EdS]
EdS has joined #xmlsec
13:02:07 [tlr]
zakim, nick EdS is EdSimon
13:02:08 [Zakim]
ok, tlr, I now associate EdS with EdSimon
13:02:14 [fjh]
Present: Frederick Hirsch, Thomas Roessler, Ed Simon, Sean Mullen, Hal Lockhart, Rob Miller
13:02:30 [fjh]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jul/0006.html
13:03:02 [tlr]
Topic: administrivia
13:03:05 [hal]
TOPIC: Administrivia
13:03:20 [tlr]
ok, Hal, I'll leave the topics to you
13:03:30 [tlr]
next meeting 17 July, Thomas to scribe
13:03:45 [hal]
Resolution: call on July 24 canceled
13:03:58 [klanz2]
klanz2 has joined #xmlsec
13:04:00 [tlr]
zakim, am I muted?
13:04:00 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, tlr.
13:04:03 [tlr]
zakim, who is muted?
13:04:03 [Zakim]
I see Thomas muted
13:04:54 [rdmiller]
rdmiller has joined #xmlsec
13:04:57 [hal]
fjh: wiki technology to change
13:05:10 [hal]
... should not affect this WG
13:05:30 [hal]
.. will inform ok unless hear otherwise
13:05:38 [PHB]
PHB has joined #xmlsec
13:05:57 [hal]
... workshop CFP is out, please publicise
13:06:10 [hal]
topic: Approve Minutes
13:06:12 [tlr]
http://www.w3.org/2007/06/26-xmlsec-minutes
13:06:30 [hal]
resolution: approved unimously
13:06:32 [fjh]
zakim, who is on the call?
13:06:32 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Frederick_Hirsch, Thomas (muted), EdSimon, sean, Hal_Lockhart, rmiller
13:06:38 [tlr]
s/unimously/unanimously/
13:06:52 [Zakim]
+??P12
13:06:52 [hal]
topic: Action Item Review
13:06:58 [Zakim]
+??P13
13:07:03 [tlr]
zakim, ??P12 is klanz2
13:07:03 [Zakim]
+klanz2; got it
13:07:12 [tlr]
zakim, ??P13 is JuanCarlosCruellas
13:07:13 [Zakim]
+JuanCarlosCruellas; got it
13:07:35 [fjh]
Present+ Juan Carlos Curellas
13:07:42 [fjh]
Present+ Konrad Lanz
13:07:44 [jcc]
jcc has joined #xmlsec
13:07:55 [tlr]
zakim, nick jcc is JuanCarlosCruellas
13:07:55 [Zakim]
ok, tlr, I now associate jcc with JuanCarlosCruellas
13:08:01 [tlr]
I am able to update tracker.
13:08:55 [tlr]
ACTION-35 closed
13:08:55 [trackbot-ng]
Sorry... I don't know how to close ACTION yet
13:09:28 [hal]
ACTION-35 Close no activity
13:09:52 [hal]
ACTION-50 Open
13:09:53 [fjh]
zakim, who is on the call?
13:09:53 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Frederick_Hirsch, Thomas (muted), EdSimon, sean, Hal_Lockhart, rmiller, klanz2, JuanCarlosCruellas
13:10:22 [EdS]
Phill, we are wondering if you can dial in?
13:10:35 [hal]
ACTION-53 Open
13:10:45 [tlr]
zakim, unmute me
13:10:45 [Zakim]
Thomas should no longer be muted
13:11:23 [hal]
ACTION-56 Open Need PK from Juan Carlos
13:11:35 [PHB]
zakim, code?
13:11:35 [Zakim]
the conference code is 965732 (tel:+1.617.761.6200 tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), PHB
13:11:36 [hal]
ACTION-57 Close
13:11:48 [hal]
ACTION-58 Open
13:12:01 [hal]
ACTION-59 Close
13:12:11 [hal]
ACTION-60 Close
13:12:12 [Zakim]
+PHB
13:13:09 [hal]
Topic: Interop Questionaire
13:13:50 [hal]
fjh: please fill out questionaire
13:14:01 [tlr]
questionnaire: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40279/interop-sched/
13:14:09 [hal]
fjh: is there risk to only three impls?
13:14:27 [hal]
jcc: we have an impl
13:14:47 [hal]
sean: just started on C14N
13:15:38 [tlr]
ACTION: fjh to contact Aleksey Sanin about interop and attendance
13:15:38 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-61 - Contact Aleksey Sanin about interop and attendance [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2007-07-17].
13:16:00 [rdmiller]
rdmiller has joined #xmlsec
13:16:04 [tlr]
q+ hal
13:16:07 [tlr]
q- hal
13:16:21 [tlr]
q+
13:16:54 [rdmiller]
rdmiller has joined #xmlsec
13:20:20 [hal]
topic: text cases
13:20:28 [tlr]
/text cases/test cases/
13:20:30 [tlr]
argh
13:20:36 [tlr]
s/text cases/test cases/
13:20:44 [tlr]
s/topic: text cases/topic: test cases/
13:21:04 [hal]
jcc: developed categories of tests
13:21:11 [hal]
... legacy tests
13:21:30 [tlr]
zakim, mute me
13:21:30 [Zakim]
Thomas should now be muted
13:21:31 [hal]
... c14N 1.1 tests
13:22:04 [hal]
... covering changes
13:22:30 [hal]
... application of implicit and explicit C14N
13:22:41 [fjh]
c14n11 test for each xml namespace attribute
13:22:50 [hal]
... for example with xml:id
13:23:19 [hal]
... last group for checking rules for coding Dnames
13:23:45 [hal]
... some tests are missing right now
13:24:32 [hal]
... use Konrad's examples as basis of tests
13:25:33 [hal]
... fjh: C14N 1.1 has both input and output
13:26:05 [hal]
klanz2: only some tests have input and output
13:26:23 [sean]
q+
13:26:29 [hal]
fjh: will need input and output for every test
13:27:18 [hal]
jcc: can link from doc to test cases
13:27:24 [fjh]
ack thomas
13:27:31 [tlr]
q-
13:27:33 [fjh]
ack sean
13:28:00 [klanz2]
q+
13:28:18 [jcc]
q+
13:28:18 [hal]
sean: will we wait for working impl to create output?
13:28:32 [hal]
sean: or will we do it by hand
13:28:39 [fjh]
ack klanz
13:29:11 [fjh]
klanz2: review process in parallel with test case development
13:30:21 [hal]
q+
13:30:23 [fjh]
... put test cases in, then review before workshop what is needed
13:30:30 [fjh]
ack JuanCarlosCurellas
13:31:11 [hal]
jcc: certain examples in C14N document
13:31:26 [hal]
... use as way of checking
13:31:36 [fjh]
ack hal
13:32:24 [jcc]
q+
13:32:46 [fjh]
hal: reiterating sean's question - what is strategy for testing correctness?
13:32:49 [klanz2]
q+
13:32:57 [fjh]
... need time for hand crafting
13:33:04 [fjh]
ack JuanCarlosCruellas
13:34:29 [rdmiller]
rdmiller has joined #xmlsec
13:34:37 [rdmiller]
rdmiller has joined #xmlsec
13:35:30 [hal]
jcc: proposing using examples from docs as test cases where possible
13:35:47 [hal]
... Dname encoding more difficulet
13:35:59 [hal]
... might need many certificates
13:36:01 [sean]
q+
13:36:19 [tlr]
q+
13:36:23 [fjh]
ACTION: jcc to send email describing examples to clarify testing issues
13:36:23 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-62 - Send email describing examples to clarify testing issues [on Juan Carlos Cruellas - due 2007-07-17].
13:36:30 [fjh]
ack klanz
13:37:10 [hal]
klanz: not too formal, just put test cases in CVS
13:37:13 [tlr]
q-
13:37:39 [hal]
... if we get different results we can examine
13:38:18 [hal]
... for implicit or explicit just create document to sign
13:38:22 [jcc]
q+
13:38:26 [fjh]
ack sean
13:38:30 [hal]
... run against old and new versions
13:38:57 [hal]
sean: agree C14N test cases can be generated by hand
13:39:00 [fjh]
sean: c14n test cases can be generated by hand, then generate sigs against those
13:39:09 [fjh]
ack JuanCarlosCruellas
13:39:48 [fjh]
s/old and new versions/old and new versions of XML Canonicalization/
13:39:50 [tlr]
q+
13:40:02 [hal]
jcc: agree, everybody should look at test case document
13:41:04 [fjh]
ack Thomas
13:41:06 [tlr]
http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/interop/testcases.html
13:41:15 [sean]
+1 to fjh
13:41:38 [klanz2]
webcvs ?
13:41:45 [fjh]
ACTION: fjh to write up process outline for interop
13:41:45 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-63 - Write up process outline for interop [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2007-07-17].
13:42:52 [hal]
tlr: clarified CVS machinery
13:43:24 [hal]
jcc: suggest action to those creating test cases to avoid duplicate effort
13:43:44 [hal]
q+
13:44:10 [hal]
fjh: need to review jcc document
13:44:15 [fjh]
ack hal
13:45:49 [klanz2]
q+
13:46:10 [fjh]
ack klanz
13:46:24 [hal]
in summary, will be a doc on the process
13:46:52 [hal]
another doc with all categories of test containing links to actual tests
13:46:54 [jcc]
q+
13:47:22 [fjh]
klanz: need to determine naming of test cases, first case defines it, subsequent use that name
13:47:25 [hal]
tests to be in CVS, use CVS to manage conflicts, duplicate work
13:47:28 [fjh]
... keep it easy
13:47:48 [klanz2]
RecommendationRef.SpecificIssue[.SpecificSub-Issue]#TestNumber-(positive | negative | caveat)
13:47:50 [rdmiller]
rdmiller has joined #xmlsec
13:48:07 [fjh]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jul/0006.html
13:48:50 [klanz2]
ok for me
13:48:51 [hal]
fjh: need to take this to the list
13:49:18 [hal]
topic: XML Signature Draft
13:49:49 [fjh]
http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core/#sec-X509Data
13:49:58 [hal]
fjh: are we happy with this document?
13:50:06 [hal]
... ed made comment
13:50:29 [tlr]
q+
13:50:30 [hal]
EdS: draft is condridictory
13:50:53 [fjh]
ack JuanCarlosCruellas
13:50:54 [hal]
... propose 2 changes to clarify Dname encoding
13:51:13 [fjh]
ack Thomas
13:52:07 [hal]
tlr: current text is more leniant than RFC 4514
13:52:31 [hal]
... need seperate section, editorial change
13:52:43 [fjh]
thomas: not contradictory since RFC defines grammar, more lenient than augmentation
13:52:44 [hal]
EdS: could be less confusing
13:53:09 [tlr]
http://www.w3.org/mid/000001c7c290$863f19f0$6800a8c0@XMLSEC004
13:54:09 [hal]
tlr: see what Ed is suggesting, disagree
13:54:47 [fjh]
zakim, mute me
13:54:47 [Zakim]
Frederick_Hirsch should now be muted
13:55:08 [hal]
... two sections reference different things
13:55:12 [fjh]
zakim, unmute me
13:55:12 [Zakim]
Frederick_Hirsch should no longer be muted
13:55:26 [klanz2]
+1 to tlr
13:55:28 [klanz2]
q+
13:55:30 [fjh]
q+
13:55:34 [hal]
... constraint on string and how to generate string
13:56:06 [fjh]
zakim, mute me
13:56:06 [Zakim]
Frederick_Hirsch should now be muted
13:56:18 [fjh]
zakim, unmute me
13:56:18 [Zakim]
Frederick_Hirsch should no longer be muted
13:56:34 [fjh]
seems like we need to clarify that we speak of grammar and generation rules
13:57:07 [fjh]
ack klanz
13:58:01 [fjh]
agreed proposal: "DN should be represented as in sec 3, generated as in sec ..
13:58:15 [fjh]
ack Frederick_Hirsch
13:59:07 [fjh]
zakim, who is on the call?
13:59:07 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Frederick_Hirsch, Thomas, EdSimon, sean, Hal_Lockhart, rmiller, klanz2, JuanCarlosCruellas, PHB
13:59:25 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
13:59:25 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Frederick_Hirsch, Thomas, EdSimon, sean, Hal_Lockhart, rmiller, klanz2, JuanCarlosCruellas, PHB
13:59:27 [Zakim]
On IRC I see jcc, PHB, klanz2, EdS, rmiller, sean, hal, fjh, RRSAgent, Zakim, tlr, trackbot-ng
13:59:45 [tlr]
http://www.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core/#sec-X509Data
14:00:27 [klanz2]
not there yet
14:00:48 [hal]
tlr: propose changes to section 4.4.4
14:00:51 [fjh]
. The distinguished name SHOULD be represented as a string that complies with section 3 of
14:00:57 [tlr]
http://nelson.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core/Overview.html
14:01:03 [sean]
looks ok to me
14:01:16 [Zakim]
-rmiller
14:01:18 [fjh]
http://nelson.w3.org/2007/xmlsec/Drafts/xmldsig-core/Overview.html#sec-X509Data
14:01:29 [fjh]
looks ok to me
14:01:42 [EdS]
looks good to me
14:02:06 [klanz2]
The distinguished name SHOULD be represented as a string that complies with section 3 of that SHOULD be compliant with RFC22534514 [LDAP-DN],
14:03:40 [hal]
resolution: agree to change
14:04:14 [tlr]
RESOLUTION: WG agrees to E01 resolution in Editor's Draft $Date: 2007/07/10 13:59:33 $
14:04:16 [tlr]
woo-hoo!
14:05:08 [EdS]
I just want to make a note for the minutes that TLR was highlighting that we want to distinguish between compliance and generation and so we will keep the original text while also adding my suggested additions (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jul/0008.html).
14:06:08 [Zakim]
-Hal_Lockhart
14:06:18 [Zakim]
-PHB
14:06:32 [Zakim]
-sean
14:06:33 [Zakim]
-JuanCarlosCruellas
14:06:40 [Zakim]
-EdSimon
14:06:49 [tlr]
hal, still on IRC?
14:07:04 [fjh]
RRSAgent, generate minutes
14:07:04 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-xmlsec-minutes.html fjh
14:07:32 [tlr]
hal, can you do the minutes fix-up?
14:07:40 [hal]
ok
14:08:01 [tlr]
thanks
14:08:08 [fjh]
thank you Hal. One item is to remove the processing commands at the end, another is to check the edits and attendance
14:08:09 [Zakim]
-Thomas
14:08:26 [fjh]
the draft minutes are at http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-xmlsec-minutes.html
14:09:07 [hal]
ok will do
14:09:26 [Zakim]
-Frederick_Hirsch
14:10:50 [tlr]
hal, please send the result directly to the mailing list. I'll get it from there and drop it in datespace as well
14:11:03 [fjh]
zakim, bye
14:11:03 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were Frederick_Hirsch, Thomas, +1.613.726.aaaa, EdSimon, +1.617.876.aabb, sean, Hal_Lockhart, +1.443.695.aacc, rmiller, klanz2,
14:11:03 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #xmlsec
14:11:04 [hal]
ok
14:11:06 [Zakim]
... JuanCarlosCruellas, PHB
14:11:21 [hal]
to public list or member list?
14:12:13 [tlr]
public
14:14:16 [fjh]
I'm using eclipse default editor which is more like using text editor
14:18:23 [tlr]
rrsagent, excuse us
14:18:23 [RRSAgent]
I see 3 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-xmlsec-actions.rdf :
14:18:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: fjh to contact Aleksey Sanin about interop and attendance [1]
14:18:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-xmlsec-irc#T13-15-38
14:18:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: jcc to send email describing examples to clarify testing issues [2]
14:18:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-xmlsec-irc#T13-36-23
14:18:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: fjh to write up process outline for interop [3]
14:18:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/07/10-xmlsec-irc#T13-41-45
14:18:25 [tlr]
zakim, excuse us