IRC log of sml on 2007-06-12

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:27:35 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sml
15:27:35 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-irc
15:29:01 [Kirk]
scribe: Kirk
15:30:04 [Kirk]
present: Kirk
15:35:24 [MSM]
MSM has joined #sml
15:35:59 [Kirk]
present: Michael
15:43:38 [Sandy]
Sandy has joined #sml
15:43:53 [Kirk]
Meeting: SML Face-to-Face
15:44:26 [Kirk]
present: Sandy
15:44:47 [Kirk]
who is present?
15:45:28 [plh]
plh has joined #sml
15:45:43 [cgi-irc]
cgi-irc has joined #sml
15:45:48 [plh]
rrsagent, where am I?
15:45:48 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-irc#T15-45-48
15:45:49 [Kirk]
present: Philppe
15:45:55 [pratul]
pratul has joined #sml
15:46:15 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-minutes.html plh
15:46:29 [marv]
marv has joined #SML
15:46:35 [Vijay]
Vijay has joined #sml
15:46:43 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Discussion of section 2.2
15:46:56 [Kirk]
present: marv
15:46:56 [Kirk]
present: marv
15:47:11 [Kirk]
present: Valentina
15:47:32 [johnarwe]
johnarwe has joined #sml
15:47:42 [Kirk]
Present: John
15:47:55 [Vijay]
Vijay has joined #sml
15:48:04 [Kirk]
chair: Pratul
15:48:10 [jim]
jim has joined #sml
15:48:10 [Kirk]
who is present?
15:48:22 [Kirk]
present: jim
15:49:14 [Kirk]
Philippe: explained use of "@"s in XML Namespace table in 2.3
15:49:34 [MSM]
In the room (let's see, it's a test of whether we learned people's names), I see: Pratul Dublish, Vijay Tewari, Paul Lipton, Kirk Wilson, Marv Waschke, John Arwe, Sandy Gao, Ginny Smith, Jim Lynn, Philippe Le Hegaret, Michael Sperberg-McQueen, Valentina Popescu, Bassam Tabbara
15:50:09 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #sml
15:50:26 [Paul_L]
Paul_L has joined #sml
15:50:33 [plh]
Philippe: you might want to consider using http://www.w3.org/ns/sml when you get to CR
15:50:44 [Paul_L]
present
15:50:47 [ginny]
ginny has joined #sml
15:50:50 [Kirk]
ACTION: WG consider switching to short namespace
15:50:50 [trackbot-ng]
Sorry, couldn't find user - WG
15:51:00 [Kirk]
present: ginny
15:51:08 [Paul_L]
who is here
15:51:20 [Kirk]
present: Paul
15:51:22 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
15:51:35 [plh]
Present: Pratul, Vijay, Paul, Kirk, Marvin, John, Sandy, Virginia, Jim, Philippe, Michael, Valentina, Bassam
15:52:04 [plh]
ACTION: John to consider switching to short namespace at CR
15:52:04 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-6 - Consider switching to short namespace at CR [on John Arwe - due 2007-06-19].
15:52:08 [BassamT]
BassamT has joined #sml
15:53:08 [Kirk]
present: BassamT
15:53:32 [plh]
-> http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri URIs for W3C Namespaces
15:54:19 [BassamT]
Zakim, what conference is this?
15:54:19 [Zakim]
no conference has been selected, BassamT
15:54:39 [BassamT]
Zakim, who is here?
15:54:39 [Zakim]
has not yet started, BassamT
15:54:40 [Zakim]
On IRC I see BassamT, Paul, ginny, Zakim, jim, Vijay, johnarwe, marv, pratul, Valentina, plh, Sandy, MSM, RRSAgent, Kirk, trackbot-ng
15:54:52 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
15:55:43 [Kirk]
Michael: Extension of Identity Constraints is different that referencing
15:56:07 [Kirk]
s/that/than/
15:58:19 [johnarwe]
zakim, this is SML
15:58:19 [Zakim]
sorry, johnarwe, I do not see a conference named 'SML' in progress or scheduled at this time
16:00:35 [Kirk]
Sandy: Clarify final sentence in section 3, use of "extension"
16:02:11 [Kirk]
Vijay: suggests saying "SML uses to points of extensibility of XML Schema"
16:03:04 [Kirk]
Sandy: recommends reference to specifc suggestion
16:03:16 [MSM]
Proposal for final para of section:
16:03:17 [MSM]
XML Schema's validation semantics can be extended by schema
16:03:17 [MSM]
annotations in the form either of attributes in other namespaces or of
16:03:17 [MSM]
xsd:annotation elements (sec. n.n of [XML Schema: Structures]; both
16:03:17 [MSM]
forms are used by SML.
16:03:35 [Sandy]
Sandy suggests to explicitly mention "annotation" with a reference to the schema spec.
16:03:36 [Sandy]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-1-20041028/#cAnnotations
16:05:25 [Kirk]
Vijay: are we really extending schema validation semantics?
16:07:21 [Kirk]
Michael: Yes--What SML is doing does classify as extending validation semantics
16:07:32 [Brian]
Brian has joined #sml
16:07:45 [Kirk]
present: Brian
16:08:08 [plh]
s/present:/present+/
16:08:30 [MSM]
Alternative 3:
16:08:31 [MSM]
SML extends XML Schema 1.0 by schema annotations both in the form of
16:08:31 [MSM]
attributes in other namespaces and of xsd:annotation elements
16:08:31 [MSM]
(sec. n.n of [XML Schema: Structures].
16:09:00 [MSM]
s/]./])./
16:09:10 [zulah]
zulah has joined #sml
16:09:27 [Kirk]
present: zulah
16:09:38 [plh]
s/present:/present+/
16:15:14 [Kirk]
johnawre: Exact words should be editor's job
16:15:37 [Kirk]
Ginny: would like to everyone to speak up on this sentence
16:16:29 [Kirk]
Marv: To resolve issues quickly, editors should go to the people who feel most deeply.
16:17:34 [johnarwe]
zakim, this conference will be SML
16:17:34 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, johnarwe
16:17:37 [Kirk]
Michael: If editors change the text to improve, they should "due diligence" and consult with those who feel deeply.
16:18:01 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Section 3.1 (XML Schema Profile)
16:19:18 [Kirk]
Sandy: Questions phrase "SML supports a strict subset of XML Schema" but "extends" it.
16:21:11 [Kirk]
ACTION: Bassam to remove first sentence of the section.
16:21:11 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-7 - Remove first sentence of the section. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
16:22:25 [Kirk]
s/section./section 3.1./
16:23:13 [Vijay]
rrsagent, help
16:24:39 [MSM]
s/sec. n.n/sec. 3.13/
16:25:55 [johnarwe]
rrsagent, list action items
16:25:55 [RRSAgent]
I see 3 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-actions.rdf :
16:25:55 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: WG consider switching to short namespace [1]
16:25:55 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-irc#T15-50-50
16:25:55 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: John to consider switching to short namespace at CR [2]
16:25:55 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-irc#T15-52-04
16:25:55 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Bassam to remove first sentence of the section. [3]
16:25:55 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-irc#T16-21-11
16:26:42 [Kirk]
rrasgent, generate minutes
16:27:08 [Sandy]
rrsagent, generate minutes
16:27:08 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-minutes.html Sandy
16:28:49 [Paul]
present:Paul
16:29:22 [Kirk]
s/section./section 3.1./
16:29:32 [MSM]
zakim, who is here?
16:29:32 [Zakim]
has not yet started, MSM
16:29:33 [Zakim]
On IRC I see zulah, Brian, Paul, BassamT, ginny, Zakim, jim, Vijay, johnarwe, marv, pratul, Valentina, plh, Sandy, MSM, RRSAgent, Kirk, trackbot-ng
16:29:53 [Vijay]
present: Vijay
16:30:13 [MSM]
present: Pratul Dublish, Vijay Tewari, Paul Lipton, Kirk Wilson, Marv Waschke, John Arwe, Sandy Gao, Ginny Smith, Jim Lynn, Philippe Le Hegaret, Michael Sperberg-McQueen, Valentina Popescu, Bassam Tabbara, Zulah Eckert
16:30:26 [MSM]
RRSAgent, generate minutes
16:30:26 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-minutes.html MSM
16:30:27 [Paul]
present:
16:30:52 [MSM]
present: Pratul Dublish, Vijay Tewari, Paul Lipton, Kirk Wilson, Marv Waschke, John Arwe, Sandy Gao, Ginny Smith, Jim Lynn, Philippe Le Hegaret, Michael Sperberg-McQueen, Valentina Popescu, Bassam Tabbara, Zulah Eckert
16:34:09 [Paul]
rssagent, here
16:34:24 [MSM]
rrsagent, here
16:34:24 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-irc#T16-34-24
16:34:28 [Paul]
rrsagent, here
16:34:28 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-irc#T16-34-28
16:34:43 [Sandy]
rrsagent, who's present?
16:34:43 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. Sorry, nothing found for 'who's present'
16:34:58 [Paul]
rrsagent, help
16:35:02 [MSM]
rrsagent, help
16:36:18 [Paul]
rrsagent, adminhelp
16:36:43 [johnarwe]
A good place to bookmark as an anchor to find all the bot commands etc is http://www.w3.org/Guide/
16:37:31 [Kirk]
Michael: Subsetting of 1.0 seems orthaganol to rest of spec. Seems like a "style guide".
16:38:30 [Kirk]
Michael: Propose that we eliminate the idea of subset.
16:39:10 [Kirk]
Bassam: In CML, there is a place for guidelines. This sort of thing is appropriate there rather than here.
16:39:59 [Kirk]
Pratul: Nothing in spec depends on this.
16:40:26 [jim]
jim has joined #sml
16:42:51 [Kirk]
Michael: SMGL experience raises concern about subsetting spec; raises interoperability issues.
16:43:02 [MSM]
s/SMGL/SGML/
16:45:16 [Kirk]
Michael: If the section is a problem it should be sent to XML Schema WG.
16:49:04 [Kirk]
Bassam: Proposes that we treat specification as a superset of XML Schema. Don't talk about "profile" of XML Schema. Guideless are treated in such areas as CML.
16:49:51 [Kirk]
Johnawre: Avoid xs:redefine in order to preserve backward compatility.
16:53:30 [ginny]
ginny has joined #sml
16:54:24 [plh]
plh has joined #sml
16:55:52 [ginny]
testing
16:56:13 [zulah]
zulah has joined #sml
16:56:23 [Sandy]
Sandy has joined #sml
16:56:24 [pratul]
pratul has joined #sml
16:56:33 [Sandy]
Sandy has joined #sml
16:57:17 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
16:57:23 [Brian]
Brian has joined #sml
16:57:30 [johnarwe]
johnarwe has joined #sml
16:57:57 [marv]
marv has joined #SML
16:58:18 [jim]
jim has joined #sml
16:58:41 [Kirk]
Kirk has joined #sml
16:58:49 [MSM]
MSM has joined #sml
17:00:06 [Kirk]
Discussion between Paul and Bassam on value of preserving ideas of section in an appendix. Bassam: this depends on context of use of the feature.
17:01:15 [Kirk]
ACTION: Bassam to remove section 3.1. (This supersedes ACTION-7.)
17:01:15 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-8 - Remove section 3.1. (This supersedes ACTION-7.) [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
17:01:25 [Paul]
Paul: Regarding discussion of 3.1, I believe it important that SML have no references to any particular group working on the instantiation of a particular model.
17:01:59 [Vijay2]
Vijay2 has joined #sml
17:02:41 [MSM]
trackbot, op me
17:02:46 [MSM]
no.
17:07:03 [zulah]
zulah has joined #sml
17:09:21 [cgi-irc]
cgi-irc has joined #sml
17:11:16 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Section 3.2
17:14:09 [Kirk]
Michael: Proposition 1 Cross Validation of documents = putting documents in one document.
17:14:49 [Kirk]
...Proposition 2, there are things you can do in SML that cannot do under Proposition 1
17:19:09 [Kirk]
Ginny: No experience contrary to Proposition 1.
17:22:22 [Kirk]
Bassam: richer set of constraints around identity in SML references.
17:23:43 [Kirk]
Michael: The richer constraints might be taken up by XSML Schema group, but right now the answer to his concern is in favor of Proposition 2.
17:24:05 [johnarwe]
s/XSML/XML/
17:24:47 [Kirk]
Jim: raises question on whether model needs to be a tree. Bassam: Nothin requires this.
17:25:32 [Kirk]
johnaware: Is anyone to be liaison with XML Schema WG.
17:30:42 [Kirk]
Discussion of this group's relationship to the XML Schema WG, esp. RE the point that xs:redefine should be dropped from XML Schema.
17:31:05 [plh]
plh has joined #sml
17:33:31 [ginny_]
ginny_ has joined #sml
17:34:37 [Kirk]
Kirk has joined #sml
17:35:37 [Kirk]
ACTION: Johnawre to present best practices as defined by SML domain groups to XML SChema WG for their consideration.
17:35:37 [trackbot-ng]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Johnawre
17:36:16 [Vijay]
Vijay has joined #sml
17:37:29 [Kirk]
ACTION: Johnarwe to present best practices as defined by SML domain groups to XML SChema WG for their consideration.
17:37:29 [trackbot-ng]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Johnarwe
17:38:27 [Kirk]
ACTION: john to present best practices as defined by SML domain groups to XML SChema WG for their consideration.
17:38:27 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-9 - Present best practices as defined by SML domain groups to XML SChema WG for their consideration. [on John Arwe - due 2007-06-19].
17:39:18 [plh]
trackbot-ng, status
17:40:18 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Discussion of section 3.2
17:40:27 [plh]
q+
17:41:15 [Kirk]
ack plh
17:41:32 [plh]
q+
17:43:48 [Kirk]
Philippe: Consider using IRIs rather than URIs.
17:44:31 [Kirk]
Pratul: Should we remove discussion of URIs in favor of IRI or add IR.
17:44:47 [Kirk]
ACTION: Philippe to put issue on this in Bugzilla.
17:44:50 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-10 - Put issue on this in Bugzilla. [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2007-06-19].
17:47:06 [Kirk]
Philippe: Raises issue of use of ReferenceParameters in EPR to reference a resource.
17:47:45 [Kirk]
Vijay: The issue is how to construct a EPR to a subpart of a document.
17:49:08 [plh]
-> http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-addr-core/#resourceidentification Using abstract properties of an EPR other than [destination] to identify resources is contrary to this recommendation.
17:50:04 [Kirk]
Paul: Suggests using XPOINTER expression in the wsa:Address to identify the subpart of the document.
17:50:48 [Kirk]
Vijay: nothing architectural to guarantee that the URI will identify that part of the document.
17:54:54 [Kirk]
Vijay: We need a mechanism to define how to architecturally define document parts by EPR as URI.
17:56:23 [Vijay]
Reference to Section 2.6 of WSA http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-addr-core/#resourceidentification
17:56:32 [Kirk]
ACTION: Bassam to remove ReferenceParameters and change wsa:Address to match that sml:uri in the element above in the example.
17:56:33 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-11 - Remove ReferenceParameters and change wsa:Address to match that sml:uri in the element above in the example. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
18:00:15 [plh]
q?
18:00:27 [jim]
jim has joined #sml
18:01:11 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
18:01:20 [Kirk]
Kirk has joined #sml
18:01:32 [Kirk]
ACTION- 11
18:01:34 [Valentina]
Valentina has joined #sml
18:01:54 [Kirk]
rrsagent, generate minutes
18:01:54 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-minutes.html Kirk
18:02:56 [Sandy]
Sandy has joined #sml
18:03:04 [johnarwe]
johnarwe has joined #sml
18:05:40 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Discussion of 3.2.1
18:06:13 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
18:06:39 [Paul]
As per request of scribe, modified action 11. Now says:"Bassam to make sml:uri tag have plain URI and do the same in the EPR example in the address tag. removing EPR reference parameters."
18:07:06 [johnarwe]
johnarwe has joined #sml
18:07:35 [Kirk]
John: We need to cover in 3.2.1.1 situation in which one element with sml:ref="true" with multiple occurrences of the same scheme.
18:07:57 [Kirk]
...all references must point to the same thing.
18:08:23 [Kirk]
Zulah existed meeting (before discussion of 3.2).
18:14:49 [Paul]
s /existed/exited/
18:16:12 [Kirk]
Discussion of this issue.
18:17:47 [Kirk]
...Bassam: Spirit is that there is one reference. Resolution of multiple references is implementation dependent; modify second sentence. of 3.2.1.1
18:20:05 [Kirk]
...Pratul: a single reference may have multiple representations.
18:21:20 [Kirk]
...they must target the same reference. Checking this optional.
18:26:46 [Kirk]
ACTION: Bassam to change second paragraph of 3.2.1.1 to "If a single reference has multiple representations, every representation must target the same element. Validators may check this condition."
18:26:46 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-12 - Change second paragraph of 3.2.1.1 to \"If a single reference has multiple representations, every representation must target the same element. Validators may check this condition.\" [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
18:27:03 [Kirk]
TOPIC . Discussion of 3.2.1.2
18:28:50 [Kirk]
ACTION: Bassam to remove the word "different" from the first sentence of 3.2.1.2.
18:28:50 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-13 - Remove the word \"different\" from the first sentence of 3.2.1.2. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
18:29:22 [Kirk]
TOPIC: Discussion3.2.1.3
18:32:53 [Kirk]
Sandy: There may schemes for representing references that use ony attributes. Therefore, xsi.nil="true" would be ineffectual in this case.
18:33:58 [Kirk]
Pratul: The spec specifies (section 3.2), that the reference must be a child element.
18:36:35 [Kirk]
Bassam: agrees with Sandy's point that spec leaves this issue open for new schemes that defines the address in the attribute.
18:38:20 [Kirk]
ACTION: Sandy to open an issue to address whether we should require reference pointers be children.
18:38:20 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-14 - Open an issue to address whether we should require reference pointers be children. [on Sandy Gao - due 2007-06-19].
18:40:00 [MSM]
so we need to decide: do we want to require that pointers be given in child elements? If so, we need to say so more explicitly; if not, we need to revisit the story about nil in 3.2.1.3
18:42:59 [Kirk]
Valentina: Question on John's issue and use of IRI-schema--should be change sml:uri to something more general?
18:43:33 [plh]
-> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sml/2007Jun/0009.html Use of IRIs
18:45:50 [Kirk]
Sandy: Difference xsi.nil="true" between a "dangling" reference?
18:48:06 [Kirk]
Bassam: difference is that nil means there is a no address. Dangling reference has not syntactic representation.
18:50:34 [plh]
q?
18:50:38 [plh]
ack plh
18:52:20 [BassamT]
action: Bassam to correct section 3.4 targetRequired such that targetRequired=true is not violated for empty or null references.
18:52:20 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-15 - Correct section 3.4 targetRequired such that targetRequired=true is not violated for empty or null references. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
18:53:21 [Kirk]
Kirk has joined #sml
18:55:35 [Kirk]
Discussion of difference between NULL (nil="true") and Empty.
18:56:10 [pratul]
pratul has joined #sml
18:58:17 [Kirk]
Michael: Nil="true" means there is no children. Therefore, restrict not checking reference to just nil=true. Empty elements with nil=false gets treated as a reference.
19:00:47 [JA]
JA has joined #sml
19:01:01 [Kirk]
Pratul: We have proposal from Michael to consider to his point in the text.
19:01:38 [Kirk]
...Ginny points out that the element may have content but not a reference. This supports Michae's approach.
19:05:15 [Kirk]
Jim: question: What is ignored if nil="true"?
19:06:13 [Kirk]
...John: xsi.nil=true is equivalent to sml:ref="false".
19:11:10 [Kirk]
ACTION: Bassam to chancge second sentence of 3.2.13. "A model validator MUST NOTdo the SML validation associated with references for that element."
19:11:10 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-16 - Chancge second sentence of 3.2.13. \"A model validator MUST NOTdo the SML validation associated with references for that element.\" [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
19:12:05 [Kirk]
John: No where in the spec do we have a definition of a dangling reference.
19:12:05 [jim]
jim has joined #sml
19:12:21 [Paul]
s /Chancge/Change/
19:13:20 [Kirk]
ACTION: John to open Bugzilla issue to address defifnition of a dangling reference.
19:13:20 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-17 - Open Bugzilla issue to address defifnition of a dangling reference. [on John Arwe - due 2007-06-19].
19:15:59 [Kirk]
Paul: raises question of how to use tools--when do we make issue an Action vs. goes into Bugzilla.
19:16:59 [Vijay]
Vijay has joined #sml
19:17:07 [Kirk]
...John: Public use may involve detailed "bugs" on highly specific issue.
19:20:57 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
19:21:07 [Paul]
Paul: suggests that use of bugzilla vs. making something an action item is based on the attention of this WG. If the WG in real time is resolving something now, it is an AI. If the WG defers something or something is brought to the attention of the WG from a public source, for example, it goes into bugzilla. Bugzilla, in short, is a mechanism to place things in a "queue" for later consideration by WG.
19:44:48 [Kirk]
Vijay leaves meeting at lunch.
19:59:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-minutes.html plh
20:01:48 [marv]
marv has joined #sml
20:09:26 [pratul]
pratul has joined #sml
20:09:38 [jim]
jim has joined #sml
20:10:03 [pratul]
rrsagent, generate minutes
20:10:03 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-minutes.html pratul
20:10:33 [johnarwe]
johnarwe has joined #sml
20:12:20 [Kirk]
Following an excellent lunch provided by Microsoft: Paul presents his suggestion, above, for group to agree up.
20:16:41 [Kirk]
...Sandy: XML Schema group tracks all issues in Bugzilla for tracking.
20:17:48 [Kirk]
...Kirk: at point of Last call, we need to track every change to the spec so that the Director can review changes.
20:18:29 [Kirk]
...Michael: this can
20:19:46 [Kirk]
Paul: Issue is were the source of truth? In which system.
20:20:14 [Kirk]
...is the truth?
20:22:10 [Kirk]
Zulah returns to meeting.
20:25:53 [zulah]
zulah has joined #sml
20:29:04 [jim]
jim has joined #sml
20:29:12 [Paul]
I said: The basic real time meeting activity of this group, in a sense, is the generation of action items. These action items, which may or may not specify bugzilla issue(s) being opened.
20:29:25 [BassamT]
scribe, bassamt
20:29:38 [BassamT]
scribe: bassamt
20:29:58 [KirkD]
KirkD has joined #sml
20:30:00 [Paul]
... When action items are opened without mentioning bugzilla, it is up to the tasked person to decide if they will open bugzilla issues.
20:30:31 [Paul]
...This WG will review as a body the action items when they are reported as completed before they are closed.
20:32:07 [Paul]
...suggest we explicitly agree on tools use. Hence the suggestion above.
20:32:51 [BassamT]
MSM: is sml:ref="false" meaningful.
20:33:43 [BassamT]
Bassam: Yes, in cases where a reference element shows up in an XML document that has not been validated.
20:35:43 [BassamT]
Ginny: What about invalid values for sml:ref, such as "10" "foo" etc.
20:37:18 [BassamT]
action: Bassam to change section 3.2.1.4 to handle cases for invalid values of sml:ref="" including "false".
20:37:18 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-18 - Change section 3.2.1.4 to handle cases for invalid values of sml:ref=\"\" including \"false\". [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
20:39:05 [BassamT]
action: BassamT to change the spec to support all valid values for sml:ref="true", including sml:ref="1", etc.
20:39:05 [trackbot-ng]
Sorry, couldn't find user - BassamT
20:39:38 [BassamT]
action: Bassam to change the spec to support all valid values for sml:ref="true", including sml:ref="1", etc.
20:39:38 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-19 - Change the spec to support all valid values for sml:ref=\"true\", including sml:ref=\"1\", etc. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
20:41:06 [Bassam]
Ginni: can the input node set for a reference R be matched to the output node set?
20:46:27 [Bassam]
Sandy: does deref() validate targetRequired cosntraint.
20:46:32 [Bassam]
Bassam: No.
20:48:35 [Bassam]
Ginni: will think about whether there are scenarios for correlation of input and output reference node sets.
20:52:15 [Bassam]
MSM: why does deref() return one target element only? This seems limiting.
20:52:35 [Bassam]
MSM: will take this offline and raise a bugzilla issue if he deems it worthy.
20:58:44 [ginny]
s/Ginni/Ginny/
20:59:04 [Bassam]
action: Sant to add bugzilla item on section 3.2.1.4 WRT to supporting the case when deref() operates on a reference that resovles to multiple target elements.
20:59:04 [trackbot-ng]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Sant
20:59:12 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #sml
21:02:54 [Bassam]
action: Sandy to add bugzilla item on section 3.2.1.4 WRT to supporting the case when deref() operates on a reference that resovles to multiple target elements.
21:02:54 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-20 - Add bugzilla item on section 3.2.1.4 WRT to supporting the case when deref() operates on a reference that resovles to multiple target elements. [on Sandy Gao - due 2007-06-19].
21:03:22 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #sml
21:06:29 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to normalize usage of the term "reference element" for the parent and "reference scheme" as the child element.
21:06:29 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-21 - Normalize usage of the term \"reference element\" for the parent and \"reference scheme\" as the child element. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
21:09:34 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to remove last setence of section 3.3.1 second bullet "... and MUST attempt to resolve ..."
21:09:34 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-22 - Remove last setence of section 3.3.1 second bullet \"... and MUST attempt to resolve ...\" [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
21:11:22 [KirkD]
s/setence/phrase
21:11:59 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to change "SomeValidUri" sample in first example of section 3.3.1 to something more real.
21:11:59 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-23 - Change \"SomeValidUri\" sample in first example of section 3.3.1 to something more real. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
21:12:12 [KirkD]
KirkD is Kirk
21:13:15 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
21:14:58 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to change all example URI of the form "/foo/bar" to absolute URIs of the form "http://example.org/foo/bar".
21:14:58 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-24 - Change all example URI of the form \"/foo/bar\" to absolute URIs of the form \"http://example.org/foo/bar\". [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
21:16:00 [plh]
URI = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?" query ] [ "#" fragment ]
21:16:20 [plh]
URI-reference = URI / relative-ref
21:17:01 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
21:19:07 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to change all usages of URI to URI-reference which includes both absolute and relative forms of URIs.
21:19:07 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-25 - Change all usages of URI to URI-reference which includes both absolute and relative forms of URIs. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
21:19:27 [Bassam]
action- 24
21:37:11 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
21:50:50 [plh]
-> http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpointer-schemes/ XPointer Registry
21:55:28 [Bassam]
action: MSM to open a bugzilla item on whether other fragment identifiers should be supported in the URI reference scheme.
21:55:28 [trackbot-ng]
Sorry, couldn't find user - MSM
21:55:40 [Bassam]
action: Michael to open a bugzilla item on whether other fragment identifiers should be supported in the URI reference scheme.
21:55:40 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-26 - Open a bugzilla item on whether other fragment identifiers should be supported in the URI reference scheme. [on Michael Sperberg-McQueen - due 2007-06-19].
21:56:06 [jim]
jim has joined #sml
21:57:00 [Bassam]
action: Michael to open a bugzilla item on whether XPointer should be the only fragment identifier scheme supported in the URI reference scheme
21:57:05 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-27 - Open a bugzilla item on whether XPointer should be the only fragment identifier scheme supported in the URI reference scheme [on Michael Sperberg-McQueen - due 2007-06-19].
21:57:46 [Bassam]
action: Michael to think about how different MIME types relate to SML.
21:57:46 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-28 - Think about how different MIME types relate to SML. [on Michael Sperberg-McQueen - due 2007-06-19].
22:16:23 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to fix EPR example in 3.3.2 to not include reference params that identify a resource.
22:16:23 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-29 - Fix EPR example in 3.3.2 to not include reference params that identify a resource. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
22:33:18 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
22:47:00 [Bassam]
action: Philippe to open a bugzilla item on whether EPR reference scheme should be removed.
22:47:00 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-30 - Open a bugzilla item on whether EPR reference scheme should be removed. [on Philippe Le Hégaret - due 2007-06-19].
22:53:02 [pratul]
pratul has joined #sml
22:53:18 [pratul]
rrsagent, generate minutes
22:53:18 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/06/12-sml-minutes.html pratul
23:03:27 [Paul]
Paul: When we are working as a WG, action items get opened. If AI says open AI in bugzilla we do, otherwise we don't. Working on an action item, we don't open bugzilla issues without the approval of the WG. Working individually, we may chose to open an action item.
23:04:28 [Paul]
s / action item/bugzilla issue/
23:05:24 [MSM]
s/chose/choose/
23:05:26 [Bassam]
Accepted without objection
23:17:00 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #sml
23:17:05 [Bassam]
John: why must a reference type be a descendent of sml:refType?
23:17:14 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #sml
23:18:03 [Bassam]
Bassam: We need the ability to recongnize that a complex type is a reference type. This is used by model validators to ensure correct usage of sml:acyclic and other refernce constraints.
23:19:04 [Bassam]
action: John to open a bugzilla item to reconsider that a reference type must derive from sml:refType
23:19:04 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-31 - Open a bugzilla item to reconsider that a reference type must derive from sml:refType [on John Arwe - due 2007-06-19].
23:25:26 [MSM]
Bassam writes example on the board:
23:25:27 [MSM]
<complexType name="foo">
23:25:27 [MSM]
<sequence>
23:25:27 [MSM]
<element name="ref-x"
23:25:27 [MSM]
type="my:zip"
23:25:29 [MSM]
sml:targetType="x"
23:25:32 [MSM]
/>
23:25:34 [MSM]
<element name="ref-y"
23:25:37 [MSM]
type="sml:refType"
23:25:39 [MSM]
sml:targetType="y"
23:25:42 [MSM]
/>
23:25:44 [MSM]
</sequence>
23:25:47 [MSM]
</complexType>
23:29:59 [Bassam]
action: Sany to open a bugzilla issue for the incosistency raised in the above case.
23:29:59 [trackbot-ng]
Sorry, couldn't find user - Sany
23:30:04 [Bassam]
action: Sandy to open a bugzilla issue for the incosistency raised in the above case.
23:30:04 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-32 - Open a bugzilla issue for the incosistency raised in the above case. [on Sandy Gao - due 2007-06-19].
23:34:37 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to reword section 3.4 to clearly specify that reference constraints can ONLY appear on schema documents.
23:34:37 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-33 - Reword section 3.4 to clearly specify that reference constraints can ONLY appear on schema documents. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
23:39:52 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to reword section 3.4 so to consistently specify that acyclic can appear on "sml:refType and its derived types"
23:39:52 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-34 - Reword section 3.4 so to consistently specify that acyclic can appear on \"sml:refType and its derived types\" [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
23:48:46 [Sandy]
possibly "targetDeclaration" vs. "targetName" vs. "targetType"
23:49:53 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to reword section 3.4, table item for sml:targetElement so that it talks about "element declarations" instead of "element names"
23:49:53 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-35 - Reword section 3.4, table item for sml:targetElement so that it talks about \"element declarations\" instead of \"element names\" [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
23:51:10 [Bassam]
action: Michael to think about whether we need a new sml:targeQName or such that restricts the QName of a target element. Not be confused with the element delcaration of the target Element already captured by sml:targetElement.
23:51:10 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-36 - Think about whether we need a new sml:targeQName or such that restricts the QName of a target element. Not be confused with the element delcaration of the target Element already captured by sml:targetElement. [on Michael Sperberg-McQueen - due 2007-06-19].
23:52:53 [Bassam]
action: Bassam remove parenths in section 3.4, table row for sml:targetType.
23:52:53 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-37 - Remove parenths in section 3.4, table row for sml:targetType. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].
23:54:19 [Paul]
Paul has joined #sml
23:58:21 [Bassam]
action: Bassam to restructure section 3.4 to follow the following 1) mapping from syntax to cannonical representation, 2) what constitutues a valid usage and 3) implications on instances.
23:58:21 [trackbot-ng]
Created ACTION-38 - Restructure section 3.4 to follow the following 1) mapping from syntax to cannonical representation, 2) what constitutues a valid usage and 3) implications on instances. [on Bassam Tabbara - due 2007-06-19].