IRC log of tagmem on 2007-04-16

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:46:26 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tagmem
15:46:26 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2007/04/16-tagmem-irc
15:46:35 [Stuart]
zakim, this will be tag
15:46:35 [Zakim]
ok, Stuart; I see TAG_Weekly()12:00PM scheduled to start in 14 minutes
15:50:41 [DanC]
DanC has joined #tagmem
15:50:55 [Norm]
Meeting: Technical Architecture Group
15:50:55 [Norm]
Date: 16 Apr 2007
15:50:55 [Norm]
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2007/04/16-agenda
15:50:55 [Norm]
Chair: Stuart
15:50:55 [Norm]
Scribe: Norm
15:50:56 [Norm]
ScribeNick: Norm
15:51:40 [DanC]
hmm... minutes from last time say "draft". do we care any more?
15:53:32 [DanC]
eek... we have an objection to the proposal to meet...
15:53:40 [Stuart]
we seem to drop them in two sorts of places... under date space and under tag/date space
15:55:25 [DanC]
I prefer minutes under tag date space so that TAG members that aren't team can edit them.
15:55:26 [Stuart]
only team folks (and other power users) can touch the stuff in date space.
15:55:33 [Stuart]
+1
15:55:37 [DanC]
but I find lots of URIs acceptable.
15:56:00 [Stuart]
reidrect magic? or just copies...?
15:56:13 [DanC]
and I read the agenda has saying that you find the current minutes acceptable
15:56:22 [Zakim]
TAG_Weekly()12:00PM has now started
15:56:29 [Zakim]
+??P0
15:56:39 [Stuart]
zakim, ??P0 is me
15:56:39 [Zakim]
+Stuart; got it
15:56:52 [DanC]
sorry, not lots of URIs for each meeting record; rather: I'm sanguine with lots of different kinds of URIs for different meetings.
15:57:21 [Stuart]
got it.
15:57:30 [Zakim]
+Norm
15:57:33 [Zakim]
-Stuart
15:57:34 [Zakim]
+Stuart
15:58:10 [DanC]
I expect the cost of moving the 2 Apr minutes is higher than the benefit.
16:00:09 [DanC]
oh good... XMLVersioning-41 is on the agenda. I haven't written to www-tag perhaps as much as I should, but I have read lots of stuff.
16:00:24 [Zakim]
+DOrchard
16:00:42 [DanC]
hmm... I wonder whether it's XMLVersioning-41 or TagSoupIntegration that I'm prepared to discuss. I have a hard time telling them apart.
16:01:12 [Zakim]
+DanC
16:01:12 [dorchard]
dorchard has joined #tagmem
16:01:14 [ht]
zakim, please call ht-781
16:01:18 [Zakim]
ok, ht; the call is being made
16:01:24 [Zakim]
+Ht
16:01:30 [Zakim]
+Raman
16:01:43 [Stuart]
zakim, who is here?
16:01:43 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Stuart, Norm, DOrchard, DanC, Ht, Raman
16:01:46 [Zakim]
On IRC I see dorchard, DanC, RRSAgent, Zakim, Stuart, ht, Norm
16:02:05 [Norm]
Topic: Adminstrative
16:02:12 [Norm]
Regrets: TimBL, Noah
16:02:14 [Rhys]
Rhys has joined #tagmem
16:02:24 [Zakim]
+Rhys
16:02:25 [Norm]
Present: Stuart, Norm, Dave, Dan, Henry, Raman, Rhys
16:02:59 [Norm]
Accept minutes of 2 April 2007?
16:03:10 [Norm]
Accepted.
16:03:15 [Norm]
Accept agenda?
16:03:41 [DanC]
(I'm not available to prepare agenda; travelling late this week)
16:03:51 [Norm]
Stuart gives regrets for 23 Apr
16:04:03 [Norm]
Rhys gives regrets for 23 Apr
16:04:38 [Norm]
Stuart proposes to skip 23 Apr, next meeting 30 Apr?
16:06:48 [Norm]
Norm volunteers to prepare an agenda, Dan will chair.
16:06:51 [Norm]
Next meeting: 23 Apr
16:07:05 [Norm]
Dave to scribe, 23 Apr
16:07:31 [Norm]
Agenda apparently accepted.
16:07:50 [Norm]
September f2r proposal: 17-18 Sep in University of Southampton, UK.
16:07:55 [Norm]
s/f2r/f2f/
16:08:08 [DanC]
+1 Mon-Tues 17-18th September
16:08:18 [Norm]
Resolved: proposal accepted, we will meet 17-18 Sep in Southampton, UK.
16:08:37 [Norm]
ACTION: Stuart to inform TimBL so that logistics can be resolved.
16:09:36 [Norm]
Panel at the AC meeting (Banff, May 2007) has been resolved. TAG participation still invited.
16:09:40 [Norm]
Any other administrative business?
16:10:47 [Norm]
We'll skip item 2 on the agenda; Ed cannot attend this week for passwordsInTheClear-52.
16:11:01 [Norm]
Topic: Issue XMLVersioning-42 (and TagSoupIntegration-54)
16:11:20 [Norm]
Dan: The HTML WG is putting together design principles and preparing them with TAG good practice notes in WebArch.
16:11:39 [Norm]
...There's pushback on a number of them, but for today: "Formats should bear version information"
16:11:47 [Norm]
...Some folks don't want HTML v.next to include version info.
16:12:14 [Norm]
...There's the general question of whether formats in general should include version information, then there's the specific case for HTML.
16:12:31 [Norm]
DanC: There are specific arguments against for HTML
16:13:17 [Norm]
TV: The issue of versioning has become conflated with the question of how browsers react. This is unfortunate because these should be orthogonal.
16:13:24 [DanC]
(one of Baron's msgs... not sure this is the best one... http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0279.html )
16:13:40 [Norm]
...But if you believe there are more things in the world than browers, then maybe it does make sense for HTML to have versioning information.
16:13:56 [ht]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Mar/0042.html starts the thread, continues in April here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Apr/0000.html
16:14:24 [Norm]
DanC: One argument is: I think we should be documenting the behavior that browsers need to implement in order for new browsers to come into the web.
16:14:37 [Norm]
DanC: That's why I'm chairing this WG.
16:14:44 [ht]
Here's David Barron's contribution, in a thread on another list: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0279.html
16:15:07 [Stuart]
q?
16:15:10 [Norm]
TV: The 2, 3, and 4 browser vendors want to replace #1, but they're also not strongly motivated to encourage vendors 5, 6, and 7 from entering the market.
16:15:23 [Norm]
...Entry into the browser space if you have to understand everything that's out there.
16:15:43 [Norm]
...It would be easier if there was (conceptually at least) a filter in front of the existing HTML that created XHTML.
16:16:00 [Norm]
DanC: Clean XHTML isn't an option; the options are HTML with or without versioning information.
16:16:20 [Norm]
DanC: If you want to make the playing field more level, I don't think version numbers help.
16:16:32 [Norm]
TV: I don't think those two things are related.
16:17:32 [Stuart]
q+
16:17:36 [Norm]
...The dominant vendor gets to decide when V+1 becomes the default. If the world is bigger than browsers, then it seems like it would be valuable to have a version identifier in the DOM. How that's serialized is a separate question.
16:18:01 [Norm]
TV: The <!DOCTYPE syntax is already a trigger for "standards mode". That should be divorced from the versioning question.
16:18:15 [Norm]
DanC: It's a huge difference about whether it's serialized or not.
16:18:42 [Norm]
TV: If the property is in the DOM and if it shows up when serialized that's fine. The separable question is whether or not authors should write it. I can serialize all sorts of things that the author never wrote.
16:19:03 [Norm]
DanC: What the WebArch document says is that formats should have version information.
16:19:34 [Norm]
TV: I think it is a good idea to have version information in HTML. I don't believe that anyone is smart enough to get it all right in the first version. Everything gets revved.
16:19:46 [Norm]
DanC: The question is whether you revise it in place or give it a new name.
16:20:18 [Norm]
TV: We've had the same argument about CSS and I think CSS is hurting quite badly because it doesn't have version information. But the CSS WG feels differently and this may be an unbridgable divide.
16:20:20 [DanC]
(the CSS argument I still haven't finished thinking thru)
16:20:23 [ht]
q+ to try to understand the "walled garden" argument
16:20:41 [Norm]
Stuart: Version numbers have been called a solution in search of a problem.
16:20:55 [ht]
ack stuart
16:21:00 [Norm]
...And are we trying to talk about versioning a language or are we making claims about an instance document.
16:21:06 [Norm]
DanC: The instance document.
16:21:15 [ht]
ack ht
16:21:15 [Zakim]
ht, you wanted to try to understand the "walled garden" argument
16:21:26 [raman]
raman has joined #tagmem
16:21:27 [dorchard]
q+
16:21:27 [Norm]
Stuart: I leave the question open then of what problem they're trying to address.
16:21:35 [DanC]
(hmm... maybe instance document isn't as explicit in webarch as I thought... "A data format specification SHOULD provide for version information." -- http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-version-info )
16:22:08 [Norm]
Henry: Several contributors to the thread have listed reasons why version information would be valuable.
16:22:22 [Norm]
...The response has been "validation is a red herring" without addressing the other points raised.
16:23:32 [Norm]
...Another argument about version numbers is that they create walled gardens.
16:23:45 [Stuart]
q?
16:24:01 [Norm]
Henry, TV, DanC: I don't understand what that means.
16:24:07 [Norm]
TV explains walled gardens.,
16:24:11 [Norm]
s/s.,/s./
16:24:33 [Stuart]
ack dorchard
16:25:17 [Norm]
David: The question of adding version information surprised me, because I thought HTML already had version information.
16:26:16 [Norm]
...I'm not sure where this goes. The arguments about version numbers that suggest that newer versions will somehow cause a problem doesn't make sense to me.
16:26:44 [Norm]
DanC: One obvious application of version numbers is the pickle tag. Suppose in V4, the pickle tag is green but in V5 it's blue. So the semantics of some parts of the document change depending on the version number.
16:26:54 [Norm]
DanC: HTML doesn't have those, by design I think.
16:27:27 [Norm]
...There's a big question of whether you can trust anything the author puts at the top of the document.
16:27:49 [Norm]
...Less than 0.1% of the documents on the web actually conform to what's in their doctype declaration
16:28:16 [Norm]
David: If the version information is effectively inaccurate then maybe the TAG finding should be qualified to say "accurate" or none at all.
16:28:20 [raman]
if you add tag <foo>bar plus bas </foo> to a version of HTML -- then this will change display semantics based on version.
16:28:25 [Norm]
DanC: Or opt out of the "should" because authors of this format are too sloppy.
16:29:12 [Norm]
David: Can someone explain "to use the version information to keep improvements in standards compliance to new versions on the web"
16:29:50 [Norm]
Some discussion of what it might mean
16:30:14 [Stuart]
I note that WebArch states that formats should "provide for" version info. I take that to mean that the format should provide a means for document authors to declare what version (they think) an instance conforms to...
16:30:28 [Norm]
DanC: Imagine that the world thinks HTML 12 is cool and then Gorrillasoft does something stupid with HTML 11 pages.
16:30:48 [Norm]
TV: What's special about version numbers in this case?
16:31:11 [Norm]
s/HTML 11/HTML 12/
16:31:22 [Stuart]
ie. it's a statement about providing a means to make a claim in a document.
16:31:29 [Norm]
Henry: Why does the version number make that bad thing happen? Why is that a likely cause.
16:31:29 [dorchard]
q+ to support Henry's point about validation only part of the discussion
16:31:50 [Norm]
DanC: Suppose they invent a new, proprietary feature that depends on the version 12 identifier.
16:32:08 [Norm]
...This will cause people to stick the standard version number in there in order to get proprietary behavior.
16:32:26 [Norm]
Henry: People will lie to get into that space, but they'll lie about anything not just version numbers.
16:32:41 [Norm]
DanC: So we should arrange the world so that we aren't encouraging bad behavior.
16:33:06 [Norm]
TV: There are many other uses for version numbers. Killing them just to avoid this is a bad idea because you shut out all the other use cases.
16:33:27 [Norm]
...If your world view is that only browsers matter, then it's a fine argument. But the world is bigger than browsers, isn't it?
16:33:37 [Norm]
DanC: Should ASCII documents have version numbers at the top?
16:33:45 [DanC]
q+ to think out loud about past/future issues User-Agent: , and the organic alternative, ala gnu autoconf
16:33:45 [Norm]
q?
16:33:50 [Norm]
ack dorchard
16:33:50 [Zakim]
dorchard, you wanted to support Henry's point about validation only part of the discussion
16:33:53 [Stuart]
ack dorchard
16:34:19 [Norm]
David: I wanted to support Henry's point earlier that the discussion hasn't done a good job of following through all the points.
16:34:39 [DanC]
(can we just stipulate that the email discussion is messy and just have whatever discussion we want to have now?)
16:34:40 [Norm]
David: Can we call this "version identifiers" instead of "version numbers"? Because that includes namespaces and other features.
16:35:08 [raman]
ascii documents == text/plain --- I've not seen versions of ascii documents that need different processing. Incidentally, IETF RFC documents that are ASCII are indeed dinstinctively recognizable compared to random string of octets that dont use the high bit
16:35:24 [Norm]
...Validation has supporters and detractors. But the various flavors of validation aren't even always well specified. RELAX NG is different from XSD, etc.
16:35:49 [Norm]
David: Just being able to identify versions has a whole lot of benefits that haven't been treated.
16:35:53 [Stuart]
ack DanC
16:35:53 [Zakim]
DanC, you wanted to think out loud about past/future issues User-Agent: , and the organic alternative, ala gnu autoconf
16:35:56 [Norm]
s/treated/addressed/
16:36:15 [Norm]
DanC: The proposition to demote the good practice isn't getting any favor, but I think we should beef it up a bit.
16:36:17 [ht]
Here are two posts which list benefits of version numbers which have not been replied to as far as I can see: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Mar/0043.html, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Apr/0028.html, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2007Apr/0053.html
16:36:22 [ht]
s/two/three/
16:37:13 [Norm]
DanC: Predicting the future often goes bad. Consider POSIX C programs; using the header doesn't really work. What really works is something like GNU autoconf that tests as much of the environment as it can.
16:37:35 [Norm]
...It checks to see what actual behavior exists.
16:37:51 [Norm]
...It's horrible, but it's awfully robust. There's a lot of JavaScript that works this way these days.
16:38:11 [Norm]
...Saying that "this and such identifier means that" hasn't worked out really well in practice.
16:38:39 [Norm]
TV: GNU autoconf does this horrible thing. But you didn't have to write it so you just use it and you don't have to worry about it.
16:38:55 [Norm]
...The reason this works is because you can write down all these little tests and you can run them.
16:39:24 [Norm]
...What fixed this was the DejaGNU project that give the world a declarative syntax for all these options, expressed in M4 in the case of autoconf.
16:39:41 [Norm]
...But if you don't provide any formalisms, which is another thread, then you're really screwed.
16:40:29 [Norm]
...The reason that configuration has been able to proceed is because DejaGNU gave us a formalism that you could hang your hat on.
16:40:42 [Norm]
Stuart: What can the TAG do to help, Dan?
16:41:58 [Norm]
Henry: I don't see any of the arguments put forward in favor of version identification has providing better founding for the webarch principle.
16:42:42 [Norm]
...My experience to date is that they don't hear claims of value either from validation, which is sometimes useful, or that there are other uses for version identification.
16:43:16 [Norm]
DanC: My question that started this thread was, mix two things and we get a sloppy result. First proposition: version identifiers are good most of the time. The HTML WG might stipulate that but not want to do it for HTML.
16:43:45 [Norm]
Henry: I think the burden is on the HTML WG to explain why the cost-benefit analysis comes out negative for version identification in the particular case of HTML
16:44:15 [Norm]
DanC: One of the more coherent messages I'm getting is that sometimes version numbers are good and sometimes they aren't and it depends.
16:44:58 [Norm]
Henry: I agree. We're not saying "when I put version identifier banana in my document, it must determine what happens forevermore". We're saying that for those cases, where it has value, there's a standard place to put it.
16:45:47 [Norm]
Henry: For version information to be of any use, it has to be interoperable and for that to happen it has to be in the specification.
16:46:02 [Norm]
...I'm not saying that it has to be required, just that there is a standard notation when I do want to say.
16:46:16 [Norm]
David: You just want a framework for carrying the version information?
16:46:38 [Norm]
DanC: Suppose I said, you must always put the letter "Q" near the top of your document for version information.
16:46:52 [Norm]
Henry: I'd push back on that at Last Call because it doesn't seem like a very good technique.
16:47:45 [Norm]
Some discussion of how this might work and what the minimum bar is.
16:48:13 [Norm]
DanC: So you need a version number, but you don't care if it includes differences from the past or predicts the future.
16:48:35 [Norm]
TV: So the <!DOCTYPE gives you that.
16:48:53 [Norm]
Henry: That's not sufficient, because there will likely be more versions in the future.
16:48:57 [Stuart]
If the versioning mechanism is intrinsic to the document type.... and it varies by version.... how do we get to the version id without already knowing the version id?
16:49:01 [ht]
s/So the/So the WHAT WG folk will say/
16:49:09 [Norm]
DanC: So, Henry, you do want them to say something about the past and predicte the future.
16:49:36 [DanC]
<!DOCTYPE html>
16:49:37 [Norm]
Henry: !DOCTYPE isn't any good because it doesn't distinguish between versions in the past.
16:50:11 [Norm]
Henry: I don't believe that you will never change the spec in ways that I'm not happy with.
16:50:30 [Norm]
...I want to be able to state unequivocally what version of the standard I authored against.
16:50:34 [Norm]
TV: And why do you want this?
16:51:00 [dorchard]
q+ to say why is for properly doing dispatch
16:51:10 [Norm]
Henry: Here's an example. The last message I cited was from Karl Dubost and he gives several reasons.
16:51:32 [Norm]
Henry: Suppose when I edit this document, I want to stay within the vocabulary of the standard that I originally authored to.
16:52:08 [Norm]
...I want exactly the accelerators that are applicable to the 2008 spec and not the 2010 version.
16:52:32 [DanC]
(the "authoring tool versions" requirement seems more like a feature; I suspect there's a more tangible, user-oriented requirement behind it.)
16:53:04 [Norm]
TV outlines the question of why it matters if a future version includes support for some new tag, "foo"
16:53:33 [Norm]
Henry: No. I'm authoring to this version because I have legacy software that only understands this version.
16:54:00 [Norm]
...For backwards compatibility and legacy reasons, I want to be able to stay with an older version.
16:54:23 [Norm]
TV: In fact, you'll just see the tag and use it and bad things will happen downstream.
16:54:28 [Stuart]
ack dorchard
16:54:28 [Zakim]
dorchard, you wanted to say why is for properly doing dispatch
16:54:47 [Norm]
David: I wanted to mention two things: I agree about authoring tools, and I also wanted to mention dispatch.
16:55:15 [Norm]
...The issue of having a version identifier arises when you have software that supports more than one version.
16:55:34 [Norm]
...One strategy is "dispatch at the top" where you look at the version identifier and dispatch the right code path.
16:55:55 [DanC]
q+ to note that Chris Wilson's argument sounds a lot like this dispatch argument. Baron argues that the HTML did this (quirks-mode) once and shouldn't do it again. I wonder.
16:56:05 [Stuart]
q+
16:56:09 [Norm]
...the converse is "late dispatch" and as you progress through you find the places where you care about versions and you do tests in differnt places in your software.
16:56:21 [Norm]
s/differnt/different/
16:56:29 [ht]
HST remembers a quote he uses a lot: "validate at trust boundaries"
16:56:32 [Norm]
David: Dispatch is one really important reason to be able to identify versions.
16:56:52 [ht]
The author of that quote: DanC :-)
16:56:53 [Noah]
Noah has joined #tagmem
16:57:04 [Norm]
David: One of the knocks against versions has to do with how they're currently being used.
16:57:26 [Norm]
...The reason that I think people like version numbers is because of issues related to backwards compatibility.
16:58:00 [Norm]
...People are used to the idea of major and minor version numbers.
16:59:00 [Norm]
David: But people tend to do straight string comparisons, so we don't get the benefits we might.
16:59:05 [DanC]
(I recall Ed's advice that we institutionalize the "bump the major number for incompatible changes" pattern, which the XML 1.1 experience supports.)
16:59:24 [Stuart]
ack danc
16:59:24 [Zakim]
DanC, you wanted to note that Chris Wilson's argument sounds a lot like this dispatch argument. Baron argues that the HTML did this (quirks-mode) once and shouldn't do it again. I
16:59:27 [Zakim]
... wonder.
16:59:50 [Norm]
DanC: The dispatching argument is basically Chris Wilson's argument. They introduced quirks mode and maybe they have three code paths now.
17:00:14 [Norm]
...He's arguing that the HTML WG should allow him to add one more. Others argue that quirks mode hurt and so they shouldn't allow it.
17:00:34 [Norm]
DanC: I think the market dynamics actually dominate a lot of the technical arguments in this case.
17:00:50 [Norm]
TV: The other way to think about this is as a bunch of moving parts: a moving spec and a bunch of moving browsers.
17:01:16 [Norm]
...If you believe that all future specs will be a superset of all previous specs, then you can say that backwards compatibility is handled.
17:01:33 [Norm]
TV: But there are lots of other moving parts, authoring tools, PHP libraries, JSP libraries, etc.
17:01:47 [Norm]
TV: Library X of version Y producing HTML version Z.
17:02:16 [Norm]
TV: I'm not convinced that with that many moving parts you can make something that works without version numbers.
17:02:34 [Norm]
DanC: The argument I hear is that, yeah, it won't work very well. But it won't work much better with version numbers so why bother.
17:02:38 [DanC]
(hmm... a version attribute allowed on every element, to accomodate the case where different parts of the doc are produced.)
17:02:42 [Norm]
Henry: Yeah, but where's the harm?
17:03:04 [Norm]
DanC: They are trying to tell you.
17:03:12 [Norm]
Henry: I haven't gotten it yet, can you try again?
17:03:28 [Norm]
DanC: It's got to do with the way authors are motivated to do things for internet explorer. I haven't quite got it.
17:04:08 [Norm]
Stuart: There was a very use-case oriented argument. It doesn't matter what you feel, you need to express the use cases you actually want to solve.
17:04:22 [Norm]
Stuart: We should talk about the problems that these design decisions are trying to address.
17:04:45 [Norm]
...Maybe the TAG ought to offer stronger motivation for the WebArch good practice.
17:04:58 [Norm]
Stuart: Do we, the TAG, have an obligation to try to provide stronger rationale?
17:05:05 [Norm]
David: I'd support that.
17:05:24 [Norm]
...The way some of this got into WebArch is from an early version of the Versioning finding.
17:05:42 [Norm]
...We could beef it up in the Finding or we could extend WebArch.
17:05:57 [Norm]
TV: We should also keep an open mind, we put it in early, maybe we were wrong and don't really need it.
17:06:31 [Norm]
David: Maybe we could add some notes about understanding your marketplace.
17:06:42 [Stuart]
use case centric message was at: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/0440.html
17:07:03 [Norm]
DanC: The folks against version numbers claim that the whole world evolves HTML together.
17:07:11 [Norm]
David: That doesn't make much sense to me.
17:07:30 [Stuart]
q?
17:07:35 [Stuart]
q- stuart
17:07:51 [ht]
q+ to support the idea of trying to identify dimensions
17:07:59 [Norm]
DanC: 99.9999% of the world doesn't even know if there are different versions of HTML.
17:08:32 [Stuart]
ack ht
17:08:32 [Zakim]
ht, you wanted to support the idea of trying to identify dimensions
17:08:35 [ht]
ack ht
17:08:37 [Norm]
TV: And if they have, then it's only about different behavior in browsers.
17:09:19 [Norm]
Henry: I'd like to support the idea is that we ought to try to understand it by stipulating that we're wrong and the HTML WG is right. It's not always a good idea to identify versions. In that case, then it's our job to identify the dimensions in which languages might differs.
17:09:50 [Norm]
...Then we can say how different classifications are related to version numbers.
17:10:05 [Norm]
DanC: The dimensions are extrinsic, it's about the marketplace.
17:10:25 [Norm]
Henry: I don't know if programming languages are an example or a counter example.
17:11:18 [DanC]
(I'd like to hear/learn more about the 1.4/1.5 transition)
17:11:39 [DanC]
(I'm pretty familiar with the python version transitions. very, very messy.)
17:11:40 [Norm]
DanC: That boils down to compilers being smart enough to put version numbers in the .o files but programmers not being able to put it in the source.
17:11:56 [Norm]
TV: I've heard both arguments for Python.
17:12:18 [Norm]
DanC: On the flip side, that penalizes everyone who has stuff that does work with the new version automatically.
17:12:49 [Norm]
TV: The other Python trick is the "import __FUTURE__" hack.
17:13:14 [Norm]
...That enables future features but becomes a nop when the new version finally ships.
17:13:27 [Norm]
Stuart: Do we have any action items to take away?
17:13:44 [DanC]
(it's not "shall". it's "should")
17:13:56 [Norm]
TV: I don't think we understand the problem deeply enough yet to make profound architectural statements about it.
17:14:07 [ht]
s/related to version numbers/related to whether version identifiers are or are not a good thing/
17:15:05 [Norm]
Scribe lost that in echo
17:16:24 [Norm]
David: The current Versioning finding assumes that you want to do versioning and then talks about how you can implement a policy.
17:16:44 [Norm]
...It doesn't really attempt to justify why you'd want version identifiers in the first place.
17:17:15 [Norm]
Stuart: Anything else we can do today?
17:17:25 [Norm]
Stuart: Is this something we should come back to, and if so how and when?
17:17:39 [Norm]
DanC: I think we should come back, but I think it'll come up again naturally.
17:17:52 [Norm]
DanC: One possibility is to review the design principles.
17:18:10 [DanC]
possibility: review http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples
17:18:53 [Norm]
TV: Brokenness is in the eye of the beholder.
17:19:09 [Norm]
DanC: I prefer "honor existing content", but that's too short too.
17:19:23 [Norm]
DanC: There's a 1 paragraph description on the wiki. There's a couple of page version by David Baron too.
17:19:37 [ht]
The obvious tension is that "honor existing content" makes the web vulnerable to Gresham's Law. . .
17:19:40 [Norm]
DanC: I haven't argued against the things that I disagree with yet
17:20:41 [Norm]
Henry: I hope we can come back to the "honor existing content" principle.
17:20:56 [DanC]
(Gresham's Law? "bad money drives out good". hm. new to me.)
17:20:59 [Norm]
Stuart: I think it's probably well covered by both issues 41 and 54.
17:21:24 [DanC]
(to the extent I understand it, issue 54 is all about Gresham's Law.)
17:21:38 [Rhys]
draft is at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2007Mar/att-0063/HttpRange-14.html
17:21:51 [Norm]
Stuart: Rhys has put together a draft for a Finding on httpRange-14.
17:21:51 [ht]
Gresham's law (about counterfitting): "Bad money drivest out good" -- when counterfeiting is common, people hoard non-counterfeit money, so the portion of counterfeit in circulation rises rapidly
17:22:22 [Norm]
Rhys: Noah give me some feedback that I think needs to be incorporated before we go public.
17:22:35 [Norm]
Rhys: The general feeling I'm getting is that it probably is getting ready for public review.
17:22:37 [ht]
s/drivest/drives/
17:22:51 [DanC]
(yet another example of how economics (and information theory) are more relevant to Web Arch (and Internet Arch) than traditional design reflects.)
17:23:01 [Norm]
...There's a set of open questions that I have in editorial notes that I think would benefit from public discussion.
17:23:14 [Norm]
Stuart: Any objection to putting it in the public?
17:23:19 [Norm]
DanC: On the contrary...
17:23:19 [ht]
s/counterfit/counterfeit/
17:23:28 [Norm]
Stuart: Rhys, please put it out whenever you're ready.
17:23:47 [Norm]
Topic: Any other business?
17:24:19 [Zakim]
-DOrchard
17:24:20 [Norm]
We're meeting on 23 Apr unless Norm sends a cancellation notice on Friday.
17:24:20 [Zakim]
-DanC
17:24:21 [Norm]
Adjourned.
17:24:23 [Zakim]
-Rhys
17:24:24 [Zakim]
-Stuart
17:24:25 [Zakim]
-Norm
17:24:27 [Zakim]
-Raman
17:24:31 [Zakim]
-Ht
17:24:33 [Zakim]
TAG_Weekly()12:00PM has ended
17:24:34 [Zakim]
Attendees were Stuart, Norm, DOrchard, DanC, Ht, Raman, Rhys
17:24:41 [Norm]
rrsagent, please make logs world-visible
17:24:47 [Norm]
rrsagent, please draft minutes
17:24:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2007/04/16-tagmem-minutes.html Norm
19:33:10 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #tagmem
19:36:38 [Norm]
rrsagent, bye
19:36:38 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in http://www.w3.org/2007/04/16-tagmem-actions.rdf :
19:36:38 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Stuart to inform TimBL so that logistics can be resolved. [1]
19:36:38 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/04/16-tagmem-irc#T16-08-37