IRC log of wai-wcag on 2007-04-12

Timestamps are in UTC.

19:41:32 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wai-wcag
19:41:32 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2007/04/12-wai-wcag-irc
19:41:40 [ben]
RRSAgent, do not start a new log
19:41:46 [ben]
zakim, this will be WAI_WCAG
19:41:46 [Zakim]
ok, ben; I see WAI_WCAG()3:00PM scheduled to start 41 minutes ago
19:41:53 [ben]
Meeting: WCAG Weekly Telecon
19:42:05 [ben]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2007AprJun/0016.html
19:42:12 [ben]
Chair: Gregg_Vanderheiden, Loretta_Guarino_Reid
19:43:10 [ben]
Regrets: Bruce_Bailey, Sean_Hayes, Cynthia_Shelly
19:43:30 [ben]
agenda+ Announcements, Questions, and Updates
19:43:40 [ben]
agenda+ Special Topics Survey of 12 April 2007
19:43:50 [ben]
agenda+ Team B Survey for 5 April 2007
19:43:58 [ben]
agenda+ Team C Proposals for 12 April 2007
19:44:06 [ben]
agenda+ Misc Questions for 12 April 2007
19:44:13 [ben]
agenda+ 12 April 2007 Conformance Survey
19:47:34 [bengt]
bengt has joined #wai-wcag
19:51:12 [Christophe]
Christophe has joined #wai-wcag
19:51:43 [David]
David has joined #wai-wcag
19:55:01 [jslatin]
jslatin has joined #wai-wcag
19:56:07 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()3:00PM has now started
19:56:14 [Zakim]
+John_Slatin
19:57:03 [rellero_]
rellero_ has joined #wai-wcag
19:58:42 [Zakim]
MichaelC_IAD, you asked to be pinged at this time to remind me of WCAG
19:59:29 [Zakim]
+David_MacDonald
20:00:11 [Zakim]
+ +1.443.415.aaaa
20:00:35 [Zakim]
+ +1.703.265.aabb
20:00:43 [Zakim]
+Alex_Li
20:00:47 [Zakim]
+Michael_Cooper
20:01:18 [Loretta]
Loretta has joined #wai-wcag
20:01:36 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
20:01:44 [Zakim]
- +1.443.415.aaaa
20:01:48 [Zakim]
+Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:01:51 [bengt]
zakim, [IPcaller is Bengt_Farre
20:01:51 [Zakim]
+Bengt_Farre; got it
20:01:55 [Andi]
Andi has joined #wai-wcag
20:02:03 [Zakim]
+ +1.703.265.aacc
20:02:29 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
20:02:39 [rellero_]
zakim, [IPcaller is Roberto_Ellero
20:02:39 [Zakim]
+Roberto_Ellero; got it
20:02:44 [Zakim]
+Christophe_Strobbe
20:02:48 [Zakim]
+Loretta_Guarino_Reid
20:02:49 [don]
don has joined #wai-wcag
20:02:50 [Zakim]
+??P15
20:02:52 [rellero_]
Zakim, mute Roberto_Ellero
20:02:52 [Zakim]
Roberto_Ellero should now be muted
20:02:59 [ben]
zakim, ??P15 is Gregg_and_Ben
20:02:59 [Zakim]
+Gregg_and_Ben; got it
20:03:25 [Zakim]
+ +1.443.415.aadd
20:03:52 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:03:52 [Zakim]
On the phone I see John_Slatin, David_MacDonald, +1.703.265.aabb, Alex_Li, Michael_Cooper, Bengt_Farre, Andi_Snow_Weaver, +1.703.265.aacc, Roberto_Ellero (muted),
20:03:55 [Zakim]
... Christophe_Strobbe, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Gregg_and_Ben, +1.443.415.aadd (muted)
20:04:14 [don]
don has joined #wai-wcag
20:05:03 [Loretta]
Not looking too promising for a scribe...
20:05:40 [ben]
zakim, +1.703.365.aacc is Tim_Boland
20:05:40 [Zakim]
sorry, ben, I do not recognize a party named '+1.703.365.aacc'
20:05:43 [bengt]
2 of them 703
20:06:21 [ben]
zakim, +1.703.265.aacc is Tim_Boland
20:06:21 [Zakim]
+Tim_Boland; got it
20:06:33 [David]
scribe: David
20:06:34 [Gregg]
Gregg has joined #wai-wcag
20:06:37 [ben]
zakim, +1.443.415.aadd is Bruce_Bailey
20:06:38 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey; got it
20:06:45 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:07:03 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 1
20:07:03 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Announcements, Questions, and Updates" taken up [from ben]
20:09:54 [ben]
zakim, close this item
20:09:54 [Zakim]
I see a speaker queue remaining and respectfully decline to close this agendum, ben
20:10:01 [ben]
q?
20:10:06 [ben]
ack +1
20:10:12 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 2
20:10:12 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Special Topics Survey of 12 April 2007" taken up [from ben]
20:13:38 [Loretta]
q+
20:15:45 [Loretta]
ack l
20:18:15 [Zakim]
+??P13
20:20:57 [ben]
zakim, ??P13 is Cynthia_Shelly
20:20:57 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelly; got it
20:21:16 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:21:16 [Zakim]
On the phone I see John_Slatin, David_MacDonald, +1.703.265.aabb, Alex_Li, Michael_Cooper, Bengt_Farre, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Tim_Boland, Roberto_Ellero (muted), Christophe_Strobbe,
20:21:19 [Zakim]
... Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Gregg_and_Ben, Cynthia_Shelly
20:21:51 [ben]
zakim, +1.703.265.aabb is Don_Evans
20:21:51 [Zakim]
+Don_Evans; got it
20:21:59 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:21:59 [Zakim]
On the phone I see John_Slatin, David_MacDonald, Don_Evans, Alex_Li, Michael_Cooper, Bengt_Farre, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Tim_Boland, Roberto_Ellero (muted), Christophe_Strobbe,
20:22:03 [Zakim]
... Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Gregg_and_Ben, Cynthia_Shelly
20:22:22 [ben]
q?
20:24:13 [MichaelC_IAD]
ack me
20:24:13 [Zakim]
MichaelC_IAD, you wanted to say (via IRC only) my major concern with the B proposals is there aren't parallels for AA and AAA
20:24:30 [Loretta]
q+
20:25:05 [Loretta]
q-
20:26:55 [David]
zakim, who's making noise?
20:26:56 [Gregg]
q+
20:27:10 [Zakim]
David, listening for 14 seconds I heard sound from the following: Tim_Boland (3%), Gregg_and_Ben (100%)
20:27:36 [David]
zakim, mute Tim_Boland
20:27:36 [Zakim]
Tim_Boland should now be muted
20:27:59 [Loretta]
q+
20:28:06 [Gregg]
ack g
20:28:07 [Gregg]
ack l
20:33:08 [David]
q+
20:34:30 [Gregg]
ack da
20:34:50 [Gregg]
ack d
20:35:34 [Loretta]
q+
20:36:01 [Andi]
q+
20:38:31 [Gregg]
ack l
20:39:49 [Gregg]
ack l
20:39:56 [Gregg]
ack a
20:41:00 [David]
q+
20:41:16 [David]
zakim, unmute Tim_boland
20:41:16 [Zakim]
Tim_Boland should no longer be muted
20:41:20 [Gregg]
ack t
20:42:22 [Gregg]
ack da
20:44:04 [Gregg]
ack don
20:44:50 [Gregg]
ack cynthia
20:44:52 [Loretta]
q+
20:45:04 [Gregg]
Q+
20:47:28 [David]
q+
20:48:24 [Loretta]
ack l
20:49:36 [Gregg]
ack g
20:49:51 [Loretta]
q+
20:49:52 [David]
q-
20:50:23 [Loretta]
q-
20:52:53 [David]
Resolution: Accept #3 proposal as written on Partical conformance
20:53:13 [David]
s/Partical/
20:53:33 [David]
Topic: 1283
20:57:44 [Gregg]
ack john
21:00:00 [Loretta]
q+
21:00:43 [MichaelC_IAD]
q+ to say (in IRC) that at L1 we should provide basic access, and at L2 look towards providing a more equivalent experience
21:01:16 [Zakim]
+Katie_Haritos-Shea
21:02:51 [Gregg]
ack l
21:02:59 [MichaelC_IAD]
MichaelC_IAD has joined #wai-wcag
21:06:15 [Zakim]
-Cynthia_Shelly
21:08:43 [David]
q+
21:09:19 [Andi]
q+
21:10:13 [Gregg]
Q+
21:10:16 [Zakim]
+??P1
21:10:17 [Gregg]
ack mich
21:10:18 [Zakim]
MichaelC_IAD, you wanted to say (in IRC) that at L1 we should provide basic access, and at L2 look towards providing a more equivalent experience
21:10:47 [Andi]
q-
21:11:00 [Gregg]
ack david
21:11:18 [Loretta]
q+
21:12:48 [Gregg]
ack g
21:13:05 [David]
zakim, mute Tim_ Boland
21:13:05 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'mute Tim_ Boland', David
21:13:28 [MichaelC_IAD]
q+
21:13:37 [ben]
q+
21:13:53 [Gregg]
ack l
21:13:54 [ben]
zakim, ??P1 is Cynthia_Shelly
21:13:55 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelly; got it
21:14:04 [ben]
q?
21:14:09 [ben]
ack ??P1
21:14:41 [David]
zakim, mute Tim_Boland
21:14:41 [Zakim]
Tim_Boland should now be muted
21:15:42 [Gregg]
ack m
21:17:50 [Gregg]
ack b
21:21:57 [MichaelC_IAD]
q+ to say I agree with movies vs books issue, but still feel it's difference between L1 and L2
21:22:06 [Gregg]
michael
21:22:10 [Gregg]
ack m
21:22:10 [Zakim]
MichaelC_IAD, you wanted to say I agree with movies vs books issue, but still feel it's difference between L1 and L2
21:22:32 [Zakim]
+Sean_Hayes
21:23:07 [Gregg]
ack d
21:23:15 [Gregg]
ack john
21:23:39 [Loretta]
q+
21:25:59 [Sean]
Sean has joined #wai-wcag
21:26:21 [Loretta]
ack l
21:26:32 [Sean]
Sean has joined
21:35:08 [Sean]
+q
21:35:40 [Gregg]
ack d
21:36:32 [Gregg]
ack sean
21:37:45 [Loretta]
q+
21:37:59 [Loretta]
q-
21:40:03 [David]
Resolution: accept 1283, 1382 as proposed
21:40:40 [ben]
zakim, close this item
21:40:40 [Zakim]
agendum 2 closed
21:40:41 [Zakim]
I see 5 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
21:40:42 [Zakim]
1. Announcements, Questions, and Updates [from ben]
21:40:50 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 1
21:40:50 [Zakim]
agendum 1, Announcements, Questions, and Updates, closed
21:40:51 [Zakim]
I see 4 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
21:40:53 [Zakim]
3. Team B Survey for 5 April 2007 [from ben]
21:40:56 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 3
21:40:56 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Team B Survey for 5 April 2007" taken up [from ben]
21:40:59 [Zakim]
-John_Slatin
21:41:11 [Zakim]
-Don_Evans
21:41:14 [Zakim]
-Tim_Boland
21:42:18 [David]
Resolution: Accept LC-628, LC-942, LC-1053: Level of SC 2.4.6
21:51:12 [Loretta]
q+
21:51:30 [Gregg]
ack l
21:54:11 [David]
Topic: LC-608: captions and supplementary multi-media
22:02:24 [Zakim]
-Christophe_Strobbe
22:03:17 [Zakim]
+Christophe_Strobbe
22:03:24 [David]
Resolution: accept 608 as amended
22:04:05 [David]
Topic: 865
22:04:48 [Zakim]
-Michael_Cooper
22:06:05 [Loretta]
WCAG is a set of guidelines for general use pages. WCAG 2 has been written assumping that authors can produce a single version of the content that could be made accessible to everyone, although assistive technology may be needed to transform the content into an appropriate rendering. Because of the danger of excluding people with multiple disabilities, the working group has been reluctant to...
22:06:06 [Loretta]
We agree that there should be an activity that focuses on how to create pages just for people with learning disabilities. That is beyond the scope of WCAG itself. But we hope that related activities can develop techniques for content designed specifically for people with different cognitive, learning, and language disabilities. This would be important to determining whether we can achieve a...
22:06:08 [Loretta]
...require multiple versions of content targeted to different audiences. We are also concerned about the privacy issues involved in requiring people to self declare disabilities in order to get suitably tailored output. The guidelines permit alternate versions of web pages, but do not require them.
22:06:10 [Loretta]
...single version of content that is accessible to all, or whether multiple versions of content would be needed.
22:06:58 [Loretta]
s/assumping/assuming
22:07:05 [Zakim]
-Katie_Haritos-Shea
22:09:49 [Zakim]
-Roberto_Ellero
22:11:32 [David]
Resolution: Accept 865 as amended
22:12:20 [Zakim]
-Bengt_Farre
22:12:42 [bengt]
bengt has left #wai-wcag
22:12:46 [David]
s/Accept 865 as amended/LC-865: alternate SC for people with learning disabilities, as amended
22:13:58 [Loretta]
We have attempted to make our processes and documents more accessible, but recognize that they have a long way to go. We have limited tools and resources and are open to specific suggestions for improvement.
22:14:16 [David]
Topic: LC-877: accessibility of WCAG processes
22:14:44 [David]
Resolution: accept 877 accessibility of WCAG processes as amended
22:15:35 [David]
Resolution: accept LC-878: British Standards Institute submission, as amended
22:28:32 [David]
Topic: LC-1085 LC-1085, LC-1237, LC-1286: Wording and level of SC 1.4.2
22:28:52 [David]
Resolution: accept >Topic: LC-1085 LC-1085, LC-1237, LC-1286: Wording and level of SC 1.4.2, as amended
22:29:26 [David]
s/amended/adding back in 3 seconds and moving to level 1
22:29:47 [David]
s/as/as amended
22:29:53 [Zakim]
-Cynthia_Shelly
22:31:01 [David]
Topic: LC-840: General concern about Principle 3
22:31:43 [David]
Resolution: accept 840 (General concern about Principle 3) as amended
22:32:08 [David]
Topic: Advisory Technique for GL 3.1: illustrating content
22:33:09 [Loretta]
Using images, illustrations, video, audio, or symbols to illustrate content.
22:33:59 [David]
Resolution: add an advisory technique for GL 3.1, Using images, illustrations, video, audio, or symbols to clarify meaning.
22:35:03 [David]
Topic: Advisory Technique for GL 3.1: provide examples
22:36:26 [David]
Resolution: accept advsory technique for for GL 3.1: provide examples
22:36:50 [David]
s/advsory/advisory
22:37:26 [David]
Topic: Advisory Technique for GL 3.1: justified text
22:37:54 [David]
Resolution: Add an advisory technique: Avoiding text that is fully justified (to both left and right margins) in a way that causes poor spacing between words or characters
22:39:41 [David]
Topic: Advisory Technique for GL 3.1 and SC 1.3.3: left-justified text
22:43:27 [David]
Resolution: Add as an advisory technique to GL 3.1 and SC 1.3.3: Using left-justified text for languages that are written left to right.
22:43:55 [David]
Topic: Advisory Technique for GL 3.1 and SC 1.3.3: right-justified text
22:45:03 [David]
Resolution: Add as an advisory technique to GL 3.1 and SC 1.3.3: Using appropriate justification for languages that are written right-to-left.
22:45:51 [David]
Topic: Advisory Technique for GL 3.1: column width
22:47:49 [David]
Resolution: Add as an advisory technique to GL 3.1: Limiting text column width.
22:51:40 [David]
Resolution: not accept the advisory technique to GL 3.1: Using a san-serif font
22:52:59 [David]
Resolution:Add as an advisory technique to GL 3.1, SC 1.4.1, SC 1.4.4: Using a light pastel background rather than a white background behind black text.
22:57:01 [David]
Resolution: Add as an advisory technique to GL 3.1: Highlighting a link or control when the mouse hovers over it.
23:04:45 [David]
Resolution: Add as an advisory technique to GL 3.1: Avoiding the use of unique interface controls unnecessarily
23:06:15 [Loretta]
Canwe finish this survey, pick up the unanimous consent items, then stop?
23:06:29 [Loretta]
One more question after this one on this survey.
23:07:22 [Christophe]
The BIENE version I'm referring to says: check if upper and lower case are used according to the rules of orthography.
23:08:46 [ben]
RRSAgent, pointer?
23:08:46 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2007/04/12-wai-wcag-irc#T23-08-46
23:09:00 [ben]
RRSAgent, make log world
23:10:05 [David]
Resolution: Resolution: Add as an advisory technique to GL 3.1: Using upper and lower case according to the spelling rules of the text language.
23:10:49 [David]
Resolution: Add as an advisory technique to GL 3.1: Avoiding unusual foreign words.
23:13:08 [David]
s/words/words. Note: that we will define unusual
23:13:36 [David]
Resolution: accepted unanimous 1250, 1032, 1031, 1129, 528, 958, 818 as is
23:15:22 [David]
Resolution: accept 1247 by unanimous consent
23:20:02 [Loretta]
Andi, I wish we had reached your proposal about AsCT.
23:20:48 [Zakim]
-Andi_Snow_Weaver
23:20:50 [Zakim]
-Alex_Li
23:20:51 [Zakim]
-Loretta_Guarino_Reid
23:20:53 [Zakim]
-David_MacDonald
23:20:54 [Zakim]
-Gregg_and_Ben
23:20:56 [Zakim]
-Sean_Hayes
23:20:59 [Zakim]
-Christophe_Strobbe
23:21:00 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()3:00PM has ended
23:21:02 [Zakim]
Attendees were John_Slatin, David_MacDonald, +1.443.415.aaaa, Alex_Li, Michael_Cooper, [IPcaller], Andi_Snow_Weaver, Bengt_Farre, Roberto_Ellero, Christophe_Strobbe,
23:21:04 [ben]
Present: John_Slatin, David_MacDonald, Don_Evans, Alex_Li, Michael_Cooper, Bengt_Farre, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Tim_Boland, Roberto_Ellero, Christophe_Strobbe, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Gregg_and_Ben, Cynthia_Shelly, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Sean_Hayes
23:21:05 [Zakim]
... Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Gregg_and_Ben, Tim_Boland, Bruce_Bailey, Cynthia_Shelly, Don_Evans, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Sean_Hayes
23:21:11 [ben]
zakim, close this item
23:21:11 [Zakim]
agendum 3 closed
23:21:12 [Zakim]
I see 3 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
23:21:13 [Zakim]
4. Team C Proposals for 12 April 2007 [from ben]
23:21:58 [ben]
Present+ Andi_Snow-Weaver
23:22:42 [ben]
RRSAgent, bye
23:22:42 [RRSAgent]
I see no action items