IRC log of er on 2006-11-08

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:48:27 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #er
14:48:27 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:48:32 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #er
14:48:41 [shadi]
zakim, this will be ERT
14:48:41 [Zakim]
ok, shadi; I see WAI_ERTWG()10:00AM scheduled to start in 12 minutes
14:48:47 [shadi]
meeting: ERT WG
14:48:53 [shadi]
chair: Shadi
14:49:12 [shadi]
regrets: Shane, Daniela, Jim, Chris
14:49:52 [shadi]
14:50:19 [shadi]
agenda+ re-adoption of uri:uri in WebContent class
14:50:46 [shadi]
agenda+ proposal for FileContent class
14:50:59 [shadi]
agenda+ sequences in the HTTP vocabulary
14:51:11 [shadi]
agenda+ additional validity level values
14:51:24 [shadi]
agenda+ addressing security/privacy in EARL
14:51:37 [shadi]
agenda+ ICRA review of EARL 1.0 Schema
15:00:32 [Zakim]
WAI_ERTWG()10:00AM has now started
15:00:33 [Zakim]
15:01:41 [CarlosI]
CarlosI has joined #er
15:02:08 [CarlosV]
CarlosV has joined #er
15:02:47 [Zakim]
15:02:48 [Zakim]
15:02:49 [Zakim]
15:03:51 [JohannesK]
JohannesK has joined #er
15:04:02 [Zakim]
15:04:20 [shadi]
zakim, Diego is really CarlosI
15:04:20 [Zakim]
+CarlosI; got it
15:04:24 [Zakim]
15:04:51 [shadi]
zakim, CarlosV.a is really Johannes
15:04:53 [Zakim]
+Johannes; got it
15:07:01 [shadi]
scribe: Johannes
15:07:10 [shadi]
scribenick: JohannesK
15:07:49 [shadi]
zakim, take up agendum 1
15:07:49 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "re-adoption of uri:uri in WebContent class" taken up [from shadi]
15:08:15 [shadi]
15:09:31 [JohannesK]
saz: there's no need for uri:uri in public web content, but there are situations where the URI is not unique
15:10:21 [JohannesK]
saz: so earl:WebContent should have an uri:uri additionally to a unique rdf:ID (or rdf:about)
15:13:40 [JohannesK]
saz: information on how to use uri:uri and rdf:about should be in the guide
15:15:30 [JohannesK]
ci: WebContent is only for World Wide Web, local file system or private web servers are not world-wide
15:16:22 [JohannesK]
ci: both use cases should be handled by FileContent
15:16:58 [JohannesK]
saz: WebContent is for Web (HTTP), not necessarily World-Wide
15:17:05 [JohannesK]
cv: or FTP or ...
15:17:56 [JohannesK]
saz: WebContent right now is focused on HTTP (request/response stuff)
15:18:55 [JohannesK]
cv: can't I use WebContent for ftp resources?
15:18:58 [JohannesK]
saz: you can
15:19:28 [JohannesK]
saz: it's not just HTTP
15:20:28 [JohannesK]
saz/cv: you can use WebContent for basic FTP operations (using ftp URI)
15:21:12 [drooks]
drooks has joined #er
15:22:47 [JohannesK]
cv: subclass WebContent and put uri:uri into subclass
15:23:11 [JohannesK]
cv: private stuff needs uri:uri, public stuff doesn't
15:24:21 [JohannesK]
15:25:04 [JohannesK]
cv: rdf:about doesn't work with content negotiation
15:25:17 [JohannesK]
ci: so uri:uri must be used then
15:25:30 [JohannesK]
saz: make uri:uri optional (when needed)?
15:25:56 [JohannesK]
saz: used only when needed?
15:27:21 [JohannesK]
ci: we need to explain the use cases when to use uri:uri and when to use rdf:about, could be tricky
15:27:42 [JohannesK]
cv: don't see much difficulty in explaining
15:28:42 [JohannesK]
saz: we're talking about software developers, they are not that dumb
15:29:18 [shadi]
s/they are not that dumb/they should know their way
15:30:33 [JohannesK]
cv: when using http:GetRequest, uri:uri is not necessary on WebContent
15:31:34 [JohannesK]
ci: still think it could be difficult, but go on
15:34:34 [JohannesK]
saz: I now think to make uri:uri mandatory on WebContent
15:34:59 [JohannesK]
jk: if used on both classes, it must be the same, that's the only requirement I see
15:36:15 [JohannesK]
ACTION: saz to write a follow-up on when and how many times to use uri:uri
15:36:27 [JohannesK]
zakim, take up agendum 2
15:36:28 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "proposal for FileContent class" taken up [from shadi]
15:36:56 [shadi]
15:36:56 [shadi]
[16:36] <JohannesK> ACTION: saz to write a follow-up on when and how many times to use uri:uri
15:37:16 [shadi]
15:39:06 [JohannesK]
saz: filename is subproperty of uri:uri
15:39:47 [shadi]
15:39:52 [JohannesK]
jk: I wouldn't make it a subproperty, if it's not really a URI
15:41:58 [JohannesK]
AFAIK this means: the server host is index.html
15:44:29 [JohannesK]
file:///index.html means: a file with the path index.html in the file root on the local host
15:46:23 [JohannesK]
ci: you cannot just put file: in front of it and think it's a proper file URI
15:47:51 [JohannesK]
saz: do we have a data type for file names?
15:49:22 [JohannesK]
saz: we can leave it completely open (forward/backward slash, case sensitivity)
15:53:13 [JohannesK]
What is the benefit of using 'file://my/path/to/index.html' instead of 'index.html'?
15:53:46 [JohannesK]
or even 'my discosed index.html'?
15:54:04 [shadi]
15:55:29 [JohannesK]
jk: this has no indication of URI scheme, could be file, ftp, http, or even relative to the EARL resource containing it
15:55:44 [shadi]
15:56:19 [shadi]
15:56:29 [JohannesK]
jk: the call it file path, because it's a relative file path
15:56:38 [JohannesK]
15:57:51 [CarlosV]
15:59:51 [JohannesK]
cv/saz: the use case is about finding files, not just labelling them
16:00:53 [JohannesK]
saz: are there issues with cv's example?
16:01:46 [JohannesK]
The path is '/www.index.html'
16:02:00 [JohannesK]
at least according to the Java implementation
16:02:36 [JohannesK]
oops, sorry
16:02:58 [JohannesK]
jk: confirmed
16:03:29 [CarlosV]
16:03:42 [CarlosV]
16:04:07 [Zakim]
16:04:33 [JohannesK]
ACTION: cv to post his thoughts on file name
16:04:40 [Zakim]
16:04:42 [Zakim]
16:04:46 [Zakim]
16:04:48 [Zakim]
WAI_ERTWG()10:00AM has ended
16:04:50 [Zakim]
Attendees were Shadi, CarlosV, CarlosI, Johannes
16:07:29 [shadi]
zakim, bye
16:07:29 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #er
16:07:38 [shadi]
rrsagent, make logs world
16:07:44 [shadi]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:07:44 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate shadi
16:07:45 [shadi]
rrsagent, make logs world
16:07:50 [shadi]
rrsagent, bye
16:07:50 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in :
16:07:50 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: saz to write a follow-up on when and how many times to use uri:uri [1]
16:07:50 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:07:50 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: cv to post his thoughts on file name [2]
16:07:50 [RRSAgent]
recorded in