IRC log of tagmem on 2006-09-26

Timestamps are in UTC.

17:00:31 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tagmem
17:00:31 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2006/09/26-tagmem-irc
17:00:37 [ht]
zakim, this will be tag
17:00:37 [Zakim]
ok, ht, I see TAG_Weekly()12:30PM already started
17:00:46 [Zakim]
+Vincent
17:00:49 [ht]
zakim, who is here?
17:00:49 [Zakim]
On the phone I see TimBL, Vincent
17:00:50 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, Zakim, Vincent, Norm, ht, DanC
17:00:57 [ht]
zakim, please call ht-781
17:00:58 [Zakim]
ok, ht; the call is being made
17:01:02 [Zakim]
+Ht
17:01:47 [Zakim]
+DanC
17:02:23 [Zakim]
+Norm
17:02:31 [Zakim]
+[IBM]
17:03:10 [Zakim]
+Ed_Rice
17:03:26 [DanC]
DanC has changed the topic to: TAG 26 Sep http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2006/09/26-agenda.html scribe: DanC
17:03:29 [DanC]
Scribe: DanC
17:03:33 [DanC]
Meeting: TAG Weekly
17:03:36 [DanC]
Regrets: TV
17:03:42 [DanC]
Chair: VQ
17:03:52 [DanC]
agenda + # Administrative
17:03:54 [EdR]
EdR has joined #tagmem
17:04:03 [DanC]
agenda + issue URNsAndRegistries-50
17:04:14 [DanC]
Regrets+ TimBL
17:04:24 [DanC]
Zakim, who's on the phone?
17:04:24 [Zakim]
On the phone I see TimBL, Vincent, Ht, DanC, Norm, [IBM], Ed_Rice
17:04:37 [Zakim]
+Dave_Orchard
17:04:39 [DanC]
agenda+ issue passwordsInTheClear-52
17:04:44 [dorchard]
dorchard has joined #tagmem
17:04:50 [DanC]
agenda + issue ultimateQuestion-42 (State in Web Applications)
17:04:53 [DanC]
Zakim, take up item 1
17:04:53 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "# Administrative" taken up [from DanC]
17:05:08 [DanC]
-> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2006/09/19-minutes.html minutes 19 Sep
17:05:28 [DanC]
RESOLVED: to accept minutes 19 Sep
17:05:36 [Noah]
Noah has joined #tagmem
17:05:37 [DanC]
agenda + issue schemeProtocols-49
17:05:45 [DanC]
agenda + Agenda for Vancouver f2f, 4-5 Oct.
17:05:47 [Noah]
zakim, who is here?
17:05:47 [Zakim]
On the phone I see TimBL, Vincent, Ht, DanC, Norm, [IBM], Ed_Rice, Dave_Orchard
17:05:49 [DanC]
Zakim, agenda/
17:05:49 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Noah, dorchard, EdR, RRSAgent, Zakim, Vincent, Norm, ht, DanC
17:05:50 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'agenda/', DanC
17:05:52 [DanC]
Zakim, agenda?
17:05:52 [Zakim]
I see 6 items remaining on the agenda:
17:05:54 [Zakim]
1. # Administrative [from DanC]
17:05:56 [Zakim]
2. issue URNsAndRegistries-50 [from DanC]
17:05:58 [Zakim]
3. issue passwordsInTheClear-52 [from DanC]
17:05:59 [Noah]
zakim, [IBM] is me
17:06:00 [Zakim]
4. issue ultimateQuestion-42 (State in Web Applications) [from DanC]
17:06:02 [Zakim]
5. issue schemeProtocols-49 [from DanC]
17:06:04 [Zakim]
6. Agenda for Vancouver f2f, 4-5 Oct. [from DanC]
17:06:08 [Zakim]
+Noah; got it
17:06:12 [Noah]
zakim, who is here?
17:06:18 [Zakim]
On the phone I see TimBL, Vincent, Ht, DanC, Norm, Noah, Ed_Rice, Dave_Orchard
17:06:26 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Noah, dorchard, EdR, RRSAgent, Zakim, Vincent, Norm, ht, DanC
17:06:49 [DanC]
Zakim, next item
17:06:49 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "issue URNsAndRegistries-50" taken up [from DanC]
17:07:41 [DanC]
VQ: last time we talked was a while ago, but I see http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/URNsAndRegistries-50.xml v 1.21 2006/08/17 19:23:58 dorchard
17:08:18 [DanC]
DO: I made some edits to the last 3 sections prompted by comments from David Booth...
17:08:42 [DanC]
... I think David said "they're better, but not exactly right yet"
17:10:14 [DanC]
HST: feedback I'm getting is "for readers who don't know much, this might help a little, but for participants in these discussions, this isn't likely to be persuasive. You need more [detial?]"
17:12:03 [DanC]
HST: I [intend to write too www-talk?] about the scenario where somebody makes links to foo.com and then somebody else buys that domain and makes those links go goofy
17:12:16 [DanC]
HST: in sum, I'd like ftf time on this
17:12:47 [Vincent]
ack TimBL
17:12:53 [DanC]
HST: I gather the XRI [spec?] has moved a lot since I reviewed it
17:13:01 [DanC]
TBL: how so?
17:13:49 [DanC]
HST: they've moved to the point where the primary result of looking up an XRI is an XML document that gives metadata and lookup information. And they intend to provide all the functionality of DNS. [?]
17:14:18 [DanC]
... and they're moving to names for automobile parts and such, much like the semantic web [and unlike LSID in some way?]
17:15:14 [DanC]
TBL: I draft, but didn't send to www-tag, some stuff about the social issues around [LSID?]
17:15:22 [DanC]
s/draft,/drafted,/
17:15:50 [Norm]
Norm has joined #tagmem
17:16:01 [DanC]
TBL: the social chain of trust is perhaps the dominant issue in this discussion.
17:17:04 [DanC]
TBL: the only way to avoid trusting something outside your community is that each community's web is disjoint from the others.
17:17:50 [DanC]
HST: the "what happens if foo.com goes goofy?" question can't be addressed without talking about where the levers of power are and who can pull them.
17:20:07 [DanC]
(... discussion of how LSIDs are acutally being deployed, and how they interact with HTTP, and how they could use relative links...)
17:20:43 [DanC]
q+ to note the awkward timing of TAG meeting 4-5 Oct 2006, Vancouver vs. HCLSIG meeting October 3 to 4, Amsterdam
17:20:53 [Vincent]
ack DanC
17:20:53 [Zakim]
DanC, you wanted to note the awkward timing of TAG meeting 4-5 Oct 2006, Vancouver vs. HCLSIG meeting October 3 to 4, Amsterdam
17:20:58 [ht]
Here's one: http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/urn:lsid:gdb.org:GenomicSegment:GDB132938
17:21:23 [ht]
Taken from this page: http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/
17:25:09 [DanC]
(more discussion that the scribe is too busy taking part in to record...)
17:30:44 [ht]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2006Jul/0041.html
17:32:51 [DanC]
ACTION DanC: find timbl's draft, give it to Ivan Herman in preparation for HCLSIG meeting in Amsterdam
17:33:58 [DanC]
Zakim, close this item
17:33:58 [Zakim]
agendum 2 closed
17:34:00 [Zakim]
I see 4 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
17:34:01 [Zakim]
3. issue passwordsInTheClear-52 [from DanC]
17:34:05 [DanC]
Zakim, take up item 5
17:34:05 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "issue schemeProtocols-49" taken up [from DanC]
17:35:06 [DanC]
(my message about trying to use LSID software http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-lifesci/2006Jul/0267.html )
17:35:51 [DanC]
NM: I still think this is an issue that people run into...
17:38:18 [DanC]
NM: I'm interested in discussion at the ftf, but not pushing it...
17:38:45 [DanC]
NM: from what I can tell, it's not really clear at all what's the TAG position; this is more than just an editorial exercise
17:40:40 [DanC]
DC: where does this come up for me... I guess... "how many of skype/irc/jabber are worth introducing?"
17:41:34 [DanC]
NM: there's also the case of streaming media, where I think we concluded http is still the right scheme...
17:42:46 [Noah]
NM: Dan, are you pushing for a meta scheme like chat:?
17:43:15 [Noah]
DC: Maybe. There seems to be a social issue about differing registration models for e.g., skype vs. jabber
17:43:30 [DanC]
VQ: so perhaps this is not sufficiently mature for ftf discussion
17:44:51 [Noah]
NM: Yes. Seems vaguely related to differing expectations for http: vs https:, I.e. that they sort of do the same thing, but with differing expectations for the care taken in ensuring the correct resolution
17:45:20 [DanC]
Zakim, close this item
17:45:20 [Zakim]
agendum 5 closed
17:45:22 [Zakim]
I see 3 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
17:45:23 [Zakim]
3. issue passwordsInTheClear-52 [from DanC]
17:45:30 [DanC]
Zakim, next item
17:45:30 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "issue passwordsInTheClear-52" taken up [from DanC]
17:45:40 [Noah]
Noah has to drop off. Please accept my apologies for not staying to the end.
17:45:47 [DanC]
hasta, Noah
17:46:27 [DanC]
Ed: I have made some progress, and have gotten some feedback, of the form "you need to deal with display, not just transmission of the password"...
17:46:49 [DanC]
... should be ready in the next week or so... oh... ftf is sooner than that... ok, I'll get something out before the ftf
17:47:45 [Zakim]
-Noah
17:48:31 [DanC]
Ed's action continues.
17:48:46 [DanC]
Zakim, next item
17:48:46 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "issue ultimateQuestion-42 (State in Web Applications)" taken up [from DanC]
17:49:56 [DanC]
DO: no progress lately; below versioning on my stack
17:50:06 [DanC]
... and below URNsRegistries
17:50:44 [DanC]
Zakim, next item
17:50:44 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "Agenda for Vancouver f2f, 4-5 Oct." taken up [from DanC]
17:51:01 [DanC]
-> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2006/10/04-agenda.html draft agenda
17:52:34 [DanC]
DO: on Wed 4 Oct, I'm out around lunch
17:53:14 [DanC]
VQ: ok to start at 9am Wed?
17:53:15 [DanC]
DO: yes
17:53:24 [DanC]
DO: everybody have their hotel?
17:53:39 [Norm]
Norm is booked.
17:55:05 [DanC]
Ed is excused. Everybody will be there.
17:55:15 [DanC]
ED: I'm interested to dial in
17:55:21 [DanC]
DO: yes, I plan to accomodate that.
17:56:02 [DanC]
VQ: Ed, let me know which parts you want to call in for
17:56:04 [DanC]
Ed: OK
17:56:18 [DanC]
DO checks on social event.
17:57:10 [DanC]
DO dinner Tues?
17:57:17 [DanC]
some arriving Tues too late to be social
17:57:50 [Zakim]
-TimBL
17:58:13 [Noah]
Noah has joined #tagmem
17:58:39 [ht]
New draft of MetadataInURI available when, Noah?
17:58:47 [DanC]
"Review of draft finding The use of Metadata in URIs (new version to be available for the meeting)"
17:59:00 [ht]
Noah?
18:01:08 [ht]
URNsAndRegistries-50 has at least one fan: http://lists.musicbrainz.org/pipermail/playlist/2006-August/001037.html
18:01:25 [DanC]
DO: I'm still hopeful for a new XMLVersioning-41 draft this week
18:01:49 [Noah]
oops. yes?
18:02:10 [Noah]
I hope to write new section of metadata Thurs or Fri as promised
18:02:38 [Noah]
Should be short and easy to review
18:02:47 [Noah]
That what you need?
18:02:51 [DanC]
DO: this is going slowly...
18:03:25 [Vincent]
Yes, thanks Noah
18:03:26 [DanC]
... the scope has increased from "how do I extend/version my XML document" and we haven't gotten back to those details.
18:04:27 [DanC]
... and I'm not sure how long I can work on it... end of term approaching and all.
18:07:03 [DanC]
DC: I think working on the terminology should interleave with working on the guidance
18:07:22 [DanC]
DO: but reviewers so far have stopped somewhere in the terminology section
18:09:09 [DanC]
NDW: on Issue namespaceDocument-8, I don't see bandwidth to get a lot more done, but I do expect to contact Jonathan B at least briefly
18:09:35 [DanC]
VQ: agenda is still flexible. suggestions welcome.
18:09:57 [DanC]
Zakim, close this item
18:09:57 [Zakim]
agendum 6 closed
18:09:58 [Zakim]
I see nothing remaining on the agenda
18:10:23 [Zakim]
-Dave_Orchard
18:10:26 [DanC]
ADJOURN
18:10:28 [Zakim]
-Ed_Rice
18:10:29 [Zakim]
-Ht
18:10:30 [Zakim]
-Norm
18:10:34 [Zakim]
-Vincent
18:10:36 [Zakim]
-DanC
18:10:37 [Zakim]
TAG_Weekly()12:30PM has ended
18:10:38 [Zakim]
Attendees were TimBL, Vincent, Ht, DanC, Norm, Ed_Rice, Dave_Orchard, Noah
18:13:47 [Noah]
Noah has joined #tagmem
18:16:30 [Norm]
Norm has joined #tagmem