IRC log of wai-wcag on 2006-07-20

Timestamps are in UTC.

19:22:32 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wai-wcag
19:22:32 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2006/07/20-wai-wcag-irc
19:22:39 [ben]
RRSAgent, do not start a new log
19:22:46 [ben]
RRSAgent, make log world
19:22:52 [ben]
Meeting: WCAG Weekly Telecon
19:23:21 [ben]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2006JulSep/0055.html
19:23:33 [ben]
Chair: Gregg_Vanderheiden and Loretta_Guarino_Reid
19:24:28 [ben]
Regrets: Roberto_Castaldo, Makoto_Ueki, Sorcha_Moore, Tim_Boland, Cynthia_Shelly
19:25:31 [ben]
agenda+ Announcements, Questions, and Updates
19:25:38 [ben]
agenda+ Team C Survey for 20 July <http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20060718_teamc/>
19:25:47 [ben]
agenda+ Team B Survey for 20 July <http://tinyurl.com/rmx9b>
19:25:53 [ben]
agenda+ Last Call Issues from Team A for 20 July 2006 <http://tinyurl.com/nqptu>
19:26:00 [ben]
agenda+ Last Call Issues from Editors for 20 July 2006 <http://tinyurl.com/fwv6h>
19:54:48 [rellero_]
rellero_ has joined #wai-wcag
19:54:59 [Gregg]
Gregg has joined #wai-wcag
19:56:08 [Michael]
ben set up the logging; I'll turn on scribe only
19:56:28 [Michael]
note: one bug with scribe only is that zakim agenda topics are also excluded
19:56:38 [Michael]
scribeOptions: scribeOnly
19:58:38 [Sofia]
Sofia has joined #wai-wcag
19:59:46 [rellero__]
rellero__ has joined #wai-wcag
20:00:13 [rellero__]
rellero__ has joined #wai-wcag
20:00:40 [Michael]
zakim, this will be wai_wcag
20:00:40 [Zakim]
ok, Michael, I see WAI_WCAG()3:00PM already started
20:00:47 [Michael]
zakim, call Cooper-Boston
20:00:47 [Zakim]
ok, Michael; the call is being made
20:00:49 [Zakim]
+Cooper
20:00:54 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:00:54 [Zakim]
On the phone I see David_MacDonald, Sofia_Celic, ??P4, ??P6, Cooper
20:01:04 [Zakim]
+Loretta_Guarino_Reid
20:01:22 [rellero__]
rellero__ has joined #wai-wcag
20:01:23 [David_MacDonald]
David_MacDonald has joined #wai-wcag
20:01:36 [Michael]
zakim, mute ??P4
20:01:36 [Zakim]
??P4 should now be muted
20:01:47 [Michael]
zakim, unmute ??P4
20:01:47 [Zakim]
??P4 should no longer be muted
20:01:52 [Zakim]
+Christophe_Strobbe
20:02:01 [Michael]
zakim, ??P5 is Gian_Sampson-Wild
20:02:01 [Zakim]
I already had ??P5 as MIT-Star, Michael
20:02:01 [ben]
zakim, ??P4 is Ben_and_Gregg
20:02:02 [Zakim]
+Ben_and_Gregg; got it
20:02:16 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:02:19 [Michael]
zakim, who's on the phone?
20:02:19 [Zakim]
On the phone I see David_MacDonald, Sofia_Celic (muted), Ben_and_Gregg, ??P6, Cooper, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Christophe_Strobbe, Bruce_Bailey
20:02:23 [Christophe]
Christophe has joined #wai-wcag
20:02:33 [Michael]
zakim, ??P6 is Gian_Sampson-Wild
20:02:33 [Zakim]
+Gian_Sampson-Wild; got it
20:02:38 [Zakim]
+Alex_Li
20:04:01 [Zakim]
+Becky_Gibson
20:04:25 [becka11y]
becka11y has joined #wai-wcag
20:05:36 [becka11y]
zakim, I am becky_gibson
20:05:36 [Zakim]
ok, becka11y, I now associate you with Becky_Gibson
20:05:55 [becka11y]
scribe: beckya11y
20:05:58 [Michael]
scribeNick: becka11y
20:06:07 [Zakim]
+??P13
20:06:08 [ben]
agenda?
20:06:25 [rellero__]
Zakim, P13 is Roberto_Ellero
20:06:25 [Zakim]
sorry, rellero__, I do not recognize a party named 'P13'
20:06:32 [Michael]
zakim, ??P13 is Roberto_Ellero
20:06:32 [Zakim]
+Roberto_Ellero; got it
20:06:33 [ben]
zakim, mute ??P13
20:06:34 [Zakim]
sorry, ben, I do not see a party named '??P13'
20:06:38 [rellero__]
Zakim, ??P13 is Roberto_Ellero
20:06:38 [Zakim]
I already had ??P13 as Roberto_Ellero, rellero__
20:06:40 [Michael]
zakim, mute roberto
20:06:40 [Zakim]
Roberto_Ellero should now be muted
20:06:57 [judy]
judy has joined #wai-wcag
20:07:42 [Gregg]
gregg Team B: LC-1378, LC-1385, LC-1391, LC-1393, LC-1397, LC-1398, LC-1402, LC-1403, LC-1404
20:07:52 [Gregg]
Team A: LC-1227, LC-1228 , LC-1236 , LC-1229
20:08:01 [Gregg]
Editors: LC-574 , LC-903 , LC-904 , LC-905 , LC-918 , LC-921 , LC-923 , LC-1002 , LC-1091 , LC-1175 , LC-1386, LC-1388 , LC-1390 , LC-1394 , LC-1399
20:08:41 [becka11y]
Reolution: Accept those items in the survey which all participants agreed and there were no comments or edits.
20:08:41 [becka11y]
Team C: LC-736, Team A: LC-1227, LC-1228 , LC-1236 , LC-1229, LC-574 , LC-903 , LC-904 , LC-905 , LC-918 , LC-921 , LC-923 , LC-1002 , LC-1091 , LC-1175 , LC-1386, LC-1388 , LC-1390 , LC-1394 , LC-1399
20:09:10 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-654
20:09:33 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 1
20:09:33 [Zakim]
agendum 1, Announcements, Questions, and Updates, closed
20:09:34 [Zakim]
I see 4 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
20:09:36 [Zakim]
2. Team C Survey for 20 July <http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20060718_teamc/> [from ben]
20:09:38 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 2
20:09:38 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Team C Survey for 20 July <http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20060718_teamc/>" taken up [from ben]
20:12:21 [Zakim]
+??P0
20:13:18 [becka11y]
Resolution: Accept proposal for LC-654 as ammended to reference SC 1.3.1.
20:13:55 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-665
20:15:16 [Zakim]
+Judy
20:17:00 [Zakim]
-??P0
20:17:34 [Zakim]
+??P0
20:20:39 [becka11y]
Resolution: refer LC-665 back to team C to update the description of G94 and H57 to explain that the alt text for non-text content for words must be those same words.
20:20:50 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-667
20:25:48 [Christophe]
q+
20:27:24 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:28:33 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:28:58 [Christophe]
q-
20:29:49 [becka11y]
Resolution: Send LC-667 back to team C to update the technique to require text alternatives in the alt text and in the body of the applet.
20:30:21 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-758
20:44:08 [becka11y]
esolution: Refer LC-758 back to committee to ask Gez to better describe how labels should be correctly prositioned in a testable fasion.
20:44:28 [becka11y]
s/Resolution/esolution
20:44:46 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-796
20:44:57 [ben]
s/fashion/fasion
20:49:52 [becka11y]
Resolution: LC-796 is referred back to team C. The working group does not consider Leetspeak to be accessible.
20:50:12 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-833
20:51:05 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:51:33 [becka11y]
Resolution: Accept LC-833 as ammended. The last sentence changes to: ""Source code order is not currently listed as a sufficient technique and has specifically been de-emphasized by the Working Group."
20:51:55 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1069
20:52:16 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
20:52:45 [becka11y]
Resolution: Accept LC-1069 as ammended with Ben's addtional material from the survey.
20:53:03 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1159
20:53:58 [becka11y]
Resolution: Accept LC-1159 as proposed.
20:54:18 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1407
20:57:20 [becka11y]
Resolution: Send LC-1407 back to team C to look at all techniques related to table layout and create consistent language for F46, H2, H73 and H39
20:58:04 [ben]
zakim, close this item
20:58:04 [Zakim]
agendum 2 closed
20:58:06 [Zakim]
I see 3 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
20:58:07 [Zakim]
3. Team B Survey for 20 July <http://tinyurl.com/rmx9b> [from ben]
20:58:07 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 3
20:58:07 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Team B Survey for 20 July <http://tinyurl.com/rmx9b>" taken up [from ben]
20:58:24 [becka11y]
Topic: Team A survey Issue LC-609
20:58:52 [becka11y]
s/Team A/Team B
20:59:13 [Michael]
zakim, who's talking?
20:59:18 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
20:59:23 [Zakim]
Michael, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Ben_and_Gregg (50%), Loretta_Guarino_Reid (4%), Bruce_Bailey (24%), Becky_Gibson (4%), Cooper (4%)
21:00:20 [Christophe]
zakim, mute me
21:00:20 [Zakim]
Christophe_Strobbe should now be muted
21:01:10 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
21:01:22 [becka11y]
Resolution: Refer LC-609 back to committee to incorporate survey feedback.
21:01:30 [ben]
zakim, who's on the phone?
21:01:30 [Zakim]
On the phone I see David_MacDonald, Sofia_Celic (muted), Ben_and_Gregg, Gian_Sampson-Wild (muted), Cooper, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Christophe_Strobbe (muted), Alex_Li, Becky_Gibson,
21:01:33 [Zakim]
... Roberto_Ellero (muted), Judy, ??P0, Bruce_Bailey
21:03:58 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
21:07:21 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-612
21:07:22 [becka11y]
Resolution: refer LC-612 back to team b to incorporate addtional information about default presentation.
21:08:05 [Christophe]
zakim, unmute me
21:08:05 [Zakim]
Christophe_Strobbe should no longer be muted
21:08:06 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-623
21:08:47 [becka11y]
Topic: refer LC-623 back to team B to address survey comments.
21:08:57 [becka11y]
s/Topic:/Resolution:
21:09:22 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1383
21:09:27 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
21:10:31 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-1383 as proposed.
21:10:38 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1384
21:14:22 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
21:16:28 [Zakim]
+Bruce_Bailey
21:20:02 [becka11y]
Resolution: change "primary language" to "default natural language" throughout the guideline documents
21:21:29 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-1384 as ammended to use "default natural language"
21:22:26 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1392
21:27:14 [becka11y]
Resolution: close LC-1392 as proposed.
21:27:50 [becka11y]
Action: Christophe to check support of xml:lang by screen readers and add user agent note to H57 as appropriate.
21:29:49 [becka11y]
Topic: 1401
21:29:51 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-1401 as proposed.
21:30:33 [ben]
zakim, close this item
21:30:33 [Zakim]
agendum 3 closed
21:30:34 [Zakim]
I see 2 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
21:30:35 [Zakim]
4. Last Call Issues from Team A for 20 July 2006 <http://tinyurl.com/nqptu> [from ben]
21:30:38 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 4
21:30:38 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Last Call Issues from Team A for 20 July 2006 <http://tinyurl.com/nqptu>" taken up [from ben]
21:31:22 [becka11y]
Topic: Issues from Team A - Topic 810
21:33:48 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-810 as ammended with Ben's proposal, "1.2.2 Audio descriptions of video, or a [full text alternative for multimedia including any interaction], are provided for prerecorded multimedia."
21:33:59 [becka11y]
Topic: 1223
21:37:18 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-1223 as proposed with Michael's addition of, "This is a case where higher-level SC build upon the requirements of lower-level SC with the intention of having cumulative, progressively stronger, requirements."
21:37:24 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1265
21:38:35 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-1265 using Michael's redrafting of the response: "Due to the wide variability on many dimensions of human ability, there are people who necessarily fall beyond the limits that a practicable set of guidelines can address. WCAG 2.0 addresses all disabilities to some extent, but none absolutely, and the focus is to create a set of guidelines that provides the broadest coverage possible while remaining reasonable for general-purpose guid
21:39:07 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1267
21:40:00 [becka11y]
replacing "When people who understand WCAG 2.0 test the same content using the same success criteria, the same results should be obtained with high inter-rater reliability" with "When people who understand WCAG 2.0 test the same content using the same success criteria and *with the same understanding of how people with disabilities use the web*, the same results should be obtained with high inter-rater reliability"?
21:40:09 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1322
21:44:04 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-1322 as proposed
21:44:15 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-1427
21:50:34 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-1427 as ammended to remove the first two examples (a heading and a section title)
21:51:49 [becka11y]
q+
21:51:57 [becka11y]
q-
21:55:24 [ben]
q+
21:57:24 [Gregg]
ack
21:57:25 [ben]
q-
21:57:28 [becka11y]
Ammended Resolution for LC-1427: accept LC-1427 as ammended to remove the examples from the definition of relationships.
21:57:50 [ben]
zakim, close this item
21:57:50 [Zakim]
agendum 4 closed
21:57:52 [Zakim]
I see 1 item remaining on the agenda:
21:57:53 [Zakim]
5. Last Call Issues from Editors for 20 July 2006 <http://tinyurl.com/fwv6h> [from ben]
21:57:57 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 5
21:57:57 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "Last Call Issues from Editors for 20 July 2006 <http://tinyurl.com/fwv6h>" taken up [from ben]
21:57:58 [becka11y]
Topic: Editor's survey - Topic LC-656
21:57:59 [Zakim]
-David_MacDonald
21:58:51 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-656 as ammended with Becky's addition of: "These are a future component that will be developed in conjunction with the Education and Outreach Working Group."
21:59:17 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-725
21:59:34 [becka11y]
Resolution: accept LC-725 as proposed.
22:00:20 [becka11y]
Topic: LC-890
22:00:28 [Zakim]
-Gian_Sampson-Wild
22:02:29 [becka11y]
Reolution: return LC-890 to editors to address the question about splitting words
22:07:28 [ben]
scribe: Christophe
22:07:40 [Zakim]
-Becky_Gibson
22:07:45 [becka11y]
becka11y has left #wai-wcag
22:08:03 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-847
22:13:56 [Zakim]
-Roberto_Ellero
22:15:54 [Christophe]
Resolution: refer LC-847 back to the editors
22:16:24 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-849
22:19:15 [judy]
zakim, who's here?
22:19:15 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Sofia_Celic (muted), Ben_and_Gregg, Cooper, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Christophe_Strobbe, Alex_Li, Judy, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Bruce_Bailey
22:19:18 [Zakim]
On IRC I see judy, Christophe, David_MacDonald, Sofia, Gregg, RRSAgent, Zakim, ben, Michael
22:22:21 [Michael]
Character. (1) The smallest component of written language that has semantic value; refers
22:22:22 [Michael]
to the abstract meaning and/or shape, rather than a specific shape (see also glyph), though
22:22:24 [Michael]
in code tables some form of visual representation is essential for the reader’s understanding.
22:22:25 [Michael]
(2) Synonym for abstract character. (3) The basic unit of encoding for the Unicode
22:22:27 [Michael]
character encoding. (4) The English name for the ideographic written elements of Chinese
22:22:29 [Michael]
origin. (See ideograph (2).)
22:22:44 [Zakim]
-Katie_Haritos-Shea
22:22:53 [ben]
Present: David_MacDonald, Sofia_Celic, Ben_Caldwell, Gregg_Vanderheiden, Gian_Sampson-Wild, Michael_Cooper, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Christophe_Strobbe, Alex_Li, Becky_Gibson, Roberto_Ellero, Judy_Brewer, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Bruce_Bailey
22:25:06 [Christophe]
Resolution: refer LC-849 back to the editors to explore baseline approach
22:25:15 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-852
22:27:52 [Christophe]
Resolution: refer LC-852 back to the editors
22:28:10 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-868
22:28:24 [Christophe]
Resolution: refer LC-868 back to the editors for technique testability issue
22:28:35 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-879
22:35:05 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept LC-879 as proposed
22:35:23 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-1061
22:39:59 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept LC-1061 as proposed
22:40:14 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-1152
22:45:15 [Christophe]
Resolution: refer LC-1152 back to editors with action for Ben and Christophe
22:45:39 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-1175
22:45:53 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept LC-1175 as amended
22:46:08 [Christophe]
Topic: LC-1230
22:47:24 [Christophe]
Resolution: refer LC-1230 back to editors to add some description of why the numbers are there
22:48:15 [Zakim]
-Bruce_Bailey
22:48:16 [Zakim]
-Sofia_Celic
22:48:18 [Zakim]
-Alex_Li
22:48:20 [Zakim]
-Christophe_Strobbe
22:48:43 [ben]
RRSAgent, bye
22:48:43 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/20-wai-wcag-actions.rdf :
22:48:43 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Christophe to check support of xml:lang by screen readers and add user agent note to H57 as appropriate. [1]
22:48:43 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/07/20-wai-wcag-irc#T21-27-50