IRC log of i18nits on 2006-06-28

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:47:56 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18nits
13:47:56 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc
13:48:07 [fsasaki]
meeting: i18n ITS working group
13:48:10 [fsasaki]
chair: Yves
13:48:14 [fsasaki]
scribe: Felix
13:48:18 [fsasaki]
scribeNick: fsasaki
13:48:52 [fsasaki]
agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0152.html
13:51:41 [YvesS]
YvesS has joined #i18nits
13:55:52 [Zakim]
I18N_TS()10:00AM has now started
13:55:59 [Zakim]
+Yves_Savourel
13:56:14 [Zakim]
+Felix
13:56:47 [Zakim]
-Felix
13:56:52 [Zakim]
+Felix
14:00:53 [YvesS]
Hi Felix. We have regrets from Andrzej and Najib. And I think Diane say also she would be out 2 weeks, but I'm not sure.
14:01:14 [fsasaki]
regrets: Andrzej, Diane, Najib
14:01:49 [Zakim]
+Sebastian_Rahtz
14:02:09 [rahtz]
rahtz has joined #i18nits
14:03:54 [fsasaki]
topic: action items
14:04:13 [fsasaki]
action: Felix to change the assigned persons for the different bugs (DONE)
14:04:26 [fsasaki]
action: Sebastian to think about a reply on the NS binding issue, bug 3319 (DONE)
14:04:44 [fsasaki]
Sebastian: Werner excepts it, we are waiting for Michaels response
14:05:33 [fsasaki]
action: Yves to get back to Kara for feedback (ONGOING)
14:05:49 [fsasaki]
action: Yves to look into http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3126 (PENDING)
14:05:59 [Zakim]
+??P6
14:06:34 [fsasaki]
action: Andrzej and everybody who has time to look at OpenDocument for creating a section in the modularization (PENDING)
14:06:45 [chriLi]
chriLi has joined #i18nits
14:06:54 [fsasaki]
action: Diane to look if there is any Boeing XML document type where ITS could be tried out (PENDING)
14:07:18 [fsasaki]
action: Felix to check how to create path description with DOM (PENDING)
14:07:52 [YvesS]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0115.html
14:07:56 [fsasaki]
action: Sebastian and Yves to look at the namespace issue mentioned at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0115.html (ONGOING)
14:08:10 [fsasaki]
Sebastian: looked at it today
14:08:35 [fsasaki]
.. in my implementation, that is the only thing I have to figure out
14:09:26 [fsasaki]
action: Yves to get DocBook feedback from Norm (PENDING)
14:10:19 [fsasaki]
topic: feedback on the ITS draft
14:10:55 [fsasaki]
Sebastian: the bug on the "translate" attribute http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3408
14:11:08 [fsasaki]
.. we had it before, but maybe it does not matter
14:11:24 [fsasaki]
Christian: We discussed this before, why did we stick with "translate"?
14:11:34 [fsasaki]
Yves: Other vocabularies have the same name
14:12:28 [fsasaki]
Sebastian: It would help if the reply could mention another vocabulary
14:12:34 [fsasaki]
Yves: e.g. DITA
14:13:02 [fsasaki]
Yves: I will write an answer in that sense
14:13:21 [fsasaki]
topic: how to answer bugs
14:13:32 [fsasaki]
Yves: sometimes it requires some addition in the spec
14:13:49 [fsasaki]
.. so we would give that as a note in the buglist
14:15:24 [fsasaki]
Sebastian: Everybody from the group can give feedback, not only the owners
14:15:39 [fsasaki]
Felix: everybody, please do so
14:16:18 [fsasaki]
topic: feedback from Christian's people
14:16:29 [fsasaki]
Christian: one comment about unqiue identifiers:
14:16:44 [fsasaki]
.. so far we have addressed them only in the best practices document
14:16:51 [fsasaki]
.. the other point: about defaults:
14:16:58 [fsasaki]
.. in e.g. XSLT, defaults are harmful
14:16:59 [GoutamSaha]
GoutamSaha has joined #i18nits
14:17:16 [fsasaki]
.. that is the reason why one commenter would not work with defaults
14:17:26 [fsasaki]
Sebastian: Did you mean not using inheritance?
14:17:42 [fsasaki]
Christian: The person did not differentiate between inheritance and defaults
14:17:56 [fsasaki]
Sebastian: we use XPath to have a rule-based system
14:19:13 [fsasaki]
.. so there is nothing to do about it?
14:19:58 [fsasaki]
Felix: ITS is similar to XQuery and XSLT - they apply XPath, in various ways
14:20:08 [fsasaki]
.. Christian, will this be a last call comment?
14:20:14 [fsasaki]
Christian: I will check
14:20:41 [fsasaki]
action: Christian to check whether the inheritance / default comment should be a last call comment
14:20:53 [fsasaki]
yves: about the unique ID stuff: we address it in the guidelines
14:21:29 [fsasaki]
.. we don't have a way to associate an ID with the concept of an ID
14:21:36 [fsasaki]
Felix: so similar to langPointer?
14:21:46 [fsasaki]
Yves: might be useful. Not sure if we need it
14:21:52 [fsasaki]
.. Christian?
14:21:57 [fsasaki]
Christian: Not sure
14:22:42 [fsasaki]
.. we said what we don't tackle this requirement
14:22:51 [fsasaki]
Yves: I would drop that issue
14:25:10 [fsasaki]
topic: feedback in general
14:25:21 [fsasaki]
Felix: I will make timelines for comments now and write answers
14:25:37 [fsasaki]
Yves: will we have a report on the closed bugs?
14:25:48 [fsasaki]
Felix: can be generated easily with XSLT, I will do that
14:25:51 [fsasaki]
topic: Implementation
14:25:56 [fsasaki]
Yves: Felix, any changes?
14:28:38 [fsasaki]
Felix: made a javascript visualization on top of my existing implementation
14:30:34 [fsasaki]
.. still needs some changes
14:32:35 [fsasaki]
Sebastian: Is there a default value for translatability?
14:32:49 [fsasaki]
Felix: I think attributes "no", elements "yes"
14:32:56 [fsasaki]
Yves: it is not in the spec yet
14:34:37 [fsasaki]
action: Felix to draft a proposal about defaults for all data categories
14:35:21 [fsasaki]
topic: test suite
14:35:35 [fsasaki]
Yves: no other news
14:35:44 [fsasaki]
topic: best practices doc
14:35:50 [fsasaki]
Yves: any news?
14:36:05 [fsasaki]
.. we got some change on the template from Richard, I used his new string.xml
14:36:15 [fsasaki]
topic: other business
14:36:25 [fsasaki]
Christian: Report on presentation about ITS
14:36:36 [fsasaki]
.. purpose was to gather feedback
14:36:43 [fsasaki]
.. and to facilitate implementations
14:36:55 [fsasaki]
.. I invited people with various backgrounds
14:38:56 [fsasaki]
.. in the presentation, I introduced some of the basic concepts of our work
14:39:15 [fsasaki]
.. I sketched some issue we encounter
14:39:27 [fsasaki]
.. and the way ITS addresses the issues
14:39:54 [fsasaki]
.. who has to say s.t. about content? what does she say? how is it said with ITS?
14:40:08 [fsasaki]
.. the presentation was very well received
14:40:56 [fsasaki]
.. as for conformance criteria, we have to see what parts of ITS will be implemented
14:41:24 [fsasaki]
Yves: good
14:42:04 [fsasaki]
.. will you have another session like that?
14:42:17 [fsasaki]
Christian: as for follow-up sessions:
14:42:25 [fsasaki]
.. after the last call comments have been answered:
14:42:43 [fsasaki]
.. I have to talk to people who have sponsered the activity
14:43:36 [fsasaki]
.. also related to the new charter we have to think about
14:43:50 [fsasaki]
topic: presentations on ITS
14:44:00 [fsasaki]
yves: something on track?
14:44:26 [fsasaki]
Christian: Nothing except what I mentioned before
14:45:30 [fsasaki]
.. there is the magazin multilingual technology
14:45:45 [fsasaki]
.. we published s.t. about lexical data and semantic web in the latest issue
14:45:56 [Zakim]
-Sebastian_Rahtz
14:46:32 [Zakim]
-Yves_Savourel
14:46:41 [fsasaki]
Yves: adjourned
14:47:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-minutes.html fsasaki
14:49:27 [Zakim]
-Christian
14:49:29 [Zakim]
-Felix
14:49:31 [Zakim]
I18N_TS()10:00AM has ended
14:49:32 [Zakim]
Attendees were Yves_Savourel, Felix, Sebastian_Rahtz, Christian
14:51:29 [GoutamSaha]
Bye Felix, Yves
14:51:37 [fsasaki]
Goutam?
14:51:44 [fsasaki]
Do you have a second?
14:51:59 [GoutamSaha]
Yes
14:52:21 [fsasaki]
Last week you said that you cannot contiune your W3C work. Do you have any news on that?
14:53:24 [GoutamSaha]
I have been transferred to another place. I got order that my present activities got vcancelled
14:53:34 [fsasaki]
I am just asking because we need to have some clearence about your status
14:54:16 [GoutamSaha]
What to do Felix? I liked this w3c work very much
14:54:53 [fsasaki]
I know. If your management tells you that you cannot contine, there is not much we can do, I am afraid.
14:55:28 [fsasaki]
I hope that the situation will become clear for you soon
14:55:50 [GoutamSaha]
It's a real problem here. I don't know what to do.
14:56:17 [fsasaki]
for example, in the minutes of this meeting, you are listed as "present". If your management does not allow you to participate, we should not list you. What do you think?
14:57:01 [GoutamSaha]
My management said that I can attend it beyond office hour
14:57:15 [fsasaki]
o.k. , so I will list you
14:58:19 [GoutamSaha]
Any way Felix, I'm trying some other job, by next 2-3 months it will be done, I hope
15:00:51 [fsasaki]
I hope all the best for you
15:01:15 [GoutamSaha]
Dr John has sent your corrected file to ACM Webmaster for posting
15:01:28 [fsasaki]
thank you
15:01:30 [fsasaki]
very much
15:02:09 [GoutamSaha]
Whatever happend to me because of only personal ego from my boss side only
15:04:30 [GoutamSaha]
It's a midnight for you Felix, Very good night Felix
15:05:04 [fsasaki]
thank you, Goutam, good night
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
I see 11 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-actions.rdf :
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Felix to change the assigned persons for the different bugs (DONE) [1]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-04-13
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Sebastian to think about a reply on the NS binding issue, bug 3319 (DONE) [2]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-04-26
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Yves to get back to Kara for feedback (ONGOING) [3]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-05-33
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Yves to look into http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=3126 (PENDING) [4]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-05-49
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Andrzej and everybody who has time to look at OpenDocument for creating a section in the modularization (PENDING) [5]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-06-34
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Diane to look if there is any Boeing XML document type where ITS could be tried out (PENDING) [6]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-06-54
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Felix to check how to create path description with DOM (PENDING) [7]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-07-18
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Sebastian and Yves to look at the namespace issue mentioned at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-its/2006AprJun/0115.html (ONGOING) [8]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-07-56
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Yves to get DocBook feedback from Norm (PENDING) [9]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-09-26
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Christian to check whether the inheritance / default comment should be a last call comment [10]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-20-41
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Felix to draft a proposal about defaults for all data categories [11]
15:10:13 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/06/28-i18nits-irc#T14-34-37
15:10:16 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18nits
15:10:20 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has left #i18nits