IRC log of wai-wcag on 2006-04-13

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:00:41 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wai-wcag
20:00:41 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2006/04/13-wai-wcag-irc
20:00:46 [rscano]
zakim, this will be WAI_WCAG()
20:00:46 [Zakim]
ok, rscano, I see WAI_WCAG()3:00PM already started
20:00:47 [Zakim]
+John_Slatin
20:00:49 [Zakim]
+Becky_Gibson
20:00:51 [ben]
zakim, this is WAI_WCAG
20:00:51 [Zakim]
ben, this was already WAI_WCAG()3:00PM
20:00:52 [Sorcha]
Sorcha has left #wai-wcag
20:00:53 [Zakim]
ok, ben; that matches WAI_WCAG()3:00PM
20:00:56 [Zakim]
+??P3
20:01:04 [ben]
zakim, ??P3 is Ben_Caldwell
20:01:04 [Zakim]
+Ben_Caldwell; got it
20:01:15 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:01:15 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Alex_Li, Andi_Snow_Weaver, John_Slatin, Becky_Gibson, Ben_Caldwell
20:01:15 [Sorcha]
Sorcha has joined #wai-wcag
20:01:16 [jslatin]
thanks, roberto!
20:01:17 [Zakim]
+Loretta_Guarino_Reid
20:01:23 [rscano]
;-)
20:01:31 [ben]
RRSAgent, do not start a new log
20:01:35 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
20:01:43 [ben]
RRSAgent, make log world
20:01:44 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller.a]
20:01:50 [ben]
Meeting: WCAG Weekly Telecon
20:01:55 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller.aa]
20:01:57 [Zakim]
-Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:01:58 [ben]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2006AprJun/0042.html
20:02:04 [ben]
Chair: Gregg_Vanderheiden and John_Slatin
20:02:13 [Zakim]
+Wendy
20:02:16 [rscano]
zakim, [IPcaller.a is Roberto_Scano
20:02:16 [Zakim]
sorry, rscano, I do not recognize a party named '[IPcaller.a'
20:02:18 [LucaMascaro]
Zakim, .aa] is LucaMascaro
20:02:18 [Zakim]
sorry, LucaMascaro, I do not recognize a party named '.aa]'
20:02:31 [rscano]
zakim, [IPcaller.a] is Roberto_Scano
20:02:31 [Zakim]
+Roberto_Scano; got it
20:02:32 [LucaMascaro]
Zakim, +[IPcaller.aa] is LucaMascaro
20:02:32 [Zakim]
sorry, LucaMascaro, I do not recognize a party named '+[IPcaller.aa]'
20:02:37 [rscano]
zakim, i am Roberto_Scano
20:02:37 [Zakim]
ok, rscano, I now associate you with Roberto_Scano
20:02:40 [Zakim]
+Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:02:44 [LucaMascaro]
Zakim, [IPcaller.aa] is LucaMascaro
20:02:44 [Zakim]
+LucaMascaro; got it
20:02:54 [ben]
Regrets: Roberto_Castaldo, Sebastiano_Nutarelli, Bruce_Bailey, Yvette_Hoitink
20:03:02 [ben]
agenda+ Misc. Questions for 13 April 2006 Telecon
20:03:06 [rscano]
zakim, who is making noise?
20:03:09 [ben]
agenda+ Misc. Questions for 13 April 2006 Telecon
20:03:11 [Zakim]
+??P16
20:03:16 [Zakim]
+Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:03:17 [ben]
agenda+ should we have an upper limit on seizure disorder?
20:03:18 [Zakim]
rscano, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Alex_Li (51%), Andi_Snow_Weaver (20%), John_Slatin (19%), Loretta_Guarino_Reid (34%), LucaMascaro (90%),
20:03:21 [Zakim]
... Roberto_Scano (33%)
20:03:24 [rscano]
zakim, mute me
20:03:24 [Zakim]
Roberto_Scano should now be muted
20:03:27 [LucaMascaro]
Zakim, mute me
20:03:27 [Zakim]
LucaMascaro should now be muted
20:03:36 [Zakim]
+Christophe_Strobbe
20:03:59 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:03:59 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Alex_Li, John_Slatin, Becky_Gibson, Ben_Caldwell, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, [IPcaller], Roberto_Scano (muted), LucaMascaro (muted), Wendy, Andi_Snow_Weaver, ??P16,
20:04:02 [Zakim]
... Gregg_Vanderheiden, Christophe_Strobbe
20:04:10 [judy]
judy has joined #wai-wcag
20:04:24 [ben]
scribe: Christophe
20:05:34 [Sorcha]
IP caller sorcha moore
20:05:49 [ben]
zakim, ??P16 is Katie_Haritos-Shea
20:05:49 [Zakim]
+Katie_Haritos-Shea; got it
20:05:57 [rscano]
zakim, who is on the phone?
20:05:57 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Alex_Li, John_Slatin, Becky_Gibson, Ben_Caldwell, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, [IPcaller], Roberto_Scano (muted), LucaMascaro (muted), Wendy, Andi_Snow_Weaver,
20:06:00 [Zakim]
... Katie_Haritos-Shea, Gregg_Vanderheiden, Christophe_Strobbe
20:06:06 [ben]
zakim, [IP is Sorcha_Moore
20:06:06 [Zakim]
+Sorcha_Moore; got it
20:06:34 [Andi]
Andi has joined #wai-wcag
20:07:00 [ben]
agenda?
20:08:36 [Christophe]
Organisations who are considering WCAG 2.0 implementation (for CR phase): contact John, Judy and Wendy.
20:09:16 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
20:09:55 [Christophe]
After LC there will be a five week review period; reviewers will be asked to use a format defined by the WG (spreadsheet or web based).
20:10:07 [rscano]
zakim, +[IPcaller] is Marco_Bertoni
20:10:07 [Zakim]
sorry, rscano, I do not recognize a party named '+[IPcaller]'
20:10:15 [rscano]
zakim [IPcaller is Marco_Bertoni
20:10:25 [rscano]
zakim, [IPCaller] is Marco_Bertoni
20:10:25 [Zakim]
+Marco_Bertoni; got it
20:10:39 [rscano]
zakim, mute Marco_Bertoni
20:10:39 [Zakim]
Marco_Bertoni should now be muted
20:11:18 [Christophe]
WG participants - contact Ben if you are available for proofreading.
20:11:39 [marco_bertoni]
03zakim, I am Marco_Bertoni01
20:12:13 [rscano]
zakim, marco_bertoni is Marco_Bertoni
20:12:13 [Zakim]
+Marco_Bertoni; got it
20:12:22 [ben]
zakim, who's on the phone?
20:12:22 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Alex_Li, John_Slatin, Becky_Gibson, Ben_Caldwell, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Sorcha_Moore, Roberto_Scano (muted), LucaMascaro (muted), Wendy, Andi_Snow_Weaver,
20:12:26 [Zakim]
... Katie_Haritos-Shea, Gregg_Vanderheiden, Christophe_Strobbe, Marco_Bertoni.a (muted)
20:13:58 [Zakim]
+Michael_Cooper
20:13:59 [ben]
unanimous consent:
20:13:59 [ben]
(from Misc. Questions for 13 April 2006 Telecon)
20:13:59 [ben]
Definition of "general flash threshold", Failure due to using script to make div or span a user interface control in HTML, Issue 505, Issue 835, Issue 1014, Issue 1144
20:14:12 [ben]
(from Team B Survey (13 April))
20:14:12 [ben]
Adding links at the top of the page to each area of the content, Providing Heading elements at the beginning of each section of content, Providing a list of links to all other Web units, Identifying content's relationship to a larger collection, Using an icon or text to indicate current location within navigation bars, Providing a function to search an on-line dictionary, Providing the pronunciation immediately following the word, Linking to pronunciations
20:14:22 [Michael]
Michael has joined #wai-wcag
20:14:38 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 1
20:14:38 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Misc. Questions for 13 April 2006 Telecon" taken up [from ben]
20:14:50 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept all of today's survey items that are marked as 'accept' or 'accept with edits':...
20:14:58 [Christophe]
... (from Misc. Questions for 13 April 2006 Telecon): Definition of "general flash threshold", Failure due to using script to make div or span a user interface control in HTML, Issue 505, Issue 835, Issue 1014, Issue 1144
20:15:28 [Christophe]
... (from Team B Survey (13 April)) :(from Team B Survey (13 April)) Adding links at the top of the page to each area of the content, Providing Heading elements at the beginning of each section of content, Providing a list of links to all other Web units, Identifying content's relationship to a larger collection, Using an icon or text to indicate current location within navigation bars, Providing a function to search an on-line dictionary, Providing
20:18:02 [rscano]
for who need results of questionnaire: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/teamb20060413/results
20:19:13 [ben]
ack Katie
20:20:27 [ben]
Topic: What constitutes EMPTY alt text?
20:24:32 [ben]
ack Katie
20:26:43 [Christophe]
Christophe has joined #wai-wcag
20:26:57 [rscano]
IWA/HWG don't agree to use " " or " "
20:28:11 [rscano]
ok
20:28:13 [rscano]
q+
20:28:51 [ben]
q+ gregg
20:28:55 [ben]
ack Rob
20:29:17 [Christophe]
Only alt="" vs. alt="" or alt=" " for spaces and decorative images.
20:29:35 [Zakim]
-Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:30:08 [rscano]
zakim, mute me
20:30:08 [Zakim]
Roberto_Scano should now be muted
20:30:27 [LucaMascaro]
q+
20:30:31 [LucaMascaro]
Zakim, unmute me
20:30:31 [Zakim]
LucaMascaro should no longer be muted
20:30:35 [Zakim]
+Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:30:44 [ben]
ack gregg
20:31:15 [wendy]
zakim, who's making noise?
20:31:26 [Zakim]
wendy, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: Ben_Caldwell (9%), Gregg_Vanderheiden (82%), Loretta_Guarino_Reid (14%), Sorcha_Moore (68%), Katie_Haritos-Shea
20:31:29 [Zakim]
... (14%)
20:31:31 [wendy]
zakim, mute sorcha
20:31:31 [Zakim]
Sorcha_Moore should now be muted
20:32:08 [Christophe]
There's already a lot of content that uses alt=" "; this is only a technique, not normative content.
20:32:54 [wendy]
zakim, who's making noise?
20:33:05 [Zakim]
wendy, listening for 11 seconds I heard sound from the following: John_Slatin (14%), LucaMascaro (21%)
20:33:11 [gregg]
gregg has joined #wai-wcag
20:33:16 [wendy]
q?
20:33:24 [wendy]
ack katie
20:33:28 [wendy]
ack luca
20:34:19 [rscano]
zakim, mute me
20:34:19 [Zakim]
Roberto_Scano was already muted, rscano
20:34:34 [LucaMascaro]
Zakim, mute me
20:34:34 [Zakim]
LucaMascaro should now be muted
20:34:48 [Christophe]
Screen readers ignore img elements with alt="" or alt=" " (normal space in alt); there appears to be no difference.
20:36:07 [Zakim]
-Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:36:33 [ben]
zakim, Ben_Caldwell has Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:36:33 [Zakim]
+Gregg_Vanderheiden; got it
20:38:28 [Christophe]
Running two words together and just put a spacer image is a failure but not a common one.
20:39:51 [wendy]
s/Running two words/gv add a technique - Running two words
20:40:59 [Christophe]
Resolution: leave technique unchanged (alt=" " is acceptable, but alt="" is recommended); non-breaking spaces and other types of white space are not allowed.
20:41:50 [ben]
Topic: Updates to WCAG 1.0 to WCAG 2.0 Mapping
20:43:26 [gregg]
*/ me Action item -GV to review techniques to make sure they agree with ALT decision and to add a note about avoiding "running two words together" problem
20:44:16 [Christophe]
action: editors review the updated mapping and check with Christophe and Andi to make sure that edits are incorporated and that the issues are addressed.
20:44:54 [Christophe]
action: GV to review techniques to make sure they agree with ALT decision and to add a note about avoiding "running two words together" problem
20:45:46 [ben]
zakim, close this item
20:45:46 [Zakim]
agendum 1 closed
20:45:47 [Zakim]
I see 2 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
20:45:48 [Zakim]
2. Misc. Questions for 13 April 2006 Telecon [from ben]
20:45:49 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 2
20:45:49 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Misc. Questions for 13 April 2006 Telecon" taken up [from ben]
20:46:48 [Christophe]
Topic: Failure due to using scripting events instead of anchor or area elements to create links
20:47:59 [ben]
zakim, who's on the phone?
20:47:59 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Alex_Li, John_Slatin, Becky_Gibson, Ben_Caldwell, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Sorcha_Moore (muted), Roberto_Scano (muted), LucaMascaro (muted), Wendy,
20:48:02 [Zakim]
... Andi_Snow_Weaver, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Christophe_Strobbe, Marco_Bertoni.a (muted), Michael_Cooper
20:48:05 [Zakim]
Ben_Caldwell has Gregg_Vanderheiden
20:48:55 [Christophe]
Resolution: change title to "Failure due to using scripting events to create links"
20:50:19 [Christophe]
Topic: General Technique: Including a character cue whenever color cues are used (e.g. asterisk next to red items)
20:51:02 [Andi]
q+
20:52:53 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept technique with change of title to "General Technique: Including a character cue whenever color cues are used", and updated example so that it does not use an asterisk
20:53:26 [Zakim]
+Judy
20:53:33 [Christophe]
action: John to contact Makoto about example for character cue other than asterisk
20:53:52 [Christophe]
Topic: General Technique: Adding a link at the beginning of a block of repeated content to go to the end of the block
20:54:03 [Zakim]
-Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:54:42 [Zakim]
+Andi_Snow_Weaver
20:55:42 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept the technique with edits that address Makoto's concern
20:55:51 [Christophe]
... about translation
20:55:56 [ben]
Topic: Using frame elements to group blocks of repeated material
20:58:36 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept the technique with edits that address the concern about frame titles
20:58:41 [ben]
Topic: Providing links to navigate between related Web units
21:00:18 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept with edits
21:00:21 [ben]
Topic: Providing a concept map
21:01:38 [gregg]
q+
21:02:26 [ben]
ack andi
21:02:30 [ben]
ack gregg
21:02:44 [Zakim]
-Judy
21:04:37 [ben]
Topic: Providing a checkbox on the first page of a multipart form that allows users to ask for longer session timeout or no session timeout
21:04:37 [Christophe]
Resolution: remove the technique (move to boneyard)
21:06:46 [Christophe]
Resolution: accept technique (session timeout) with edits to procedure and expected results.
21:07:28 [ben]
Topic: should we have an upper limit on seizure disorder?
21:11:18 [Christophe]
Resolution: add note "3. The flashing is below 50 hz." to the definition of general flash
21:12:06 [Christophe]
Topic: definition of Level 3 conformance
21:13:29 [Christophe]
Resolution: add note "3. The flashing is below 50 hz." to the definition of red flash
21:19:51 [Christophe]
Resolution: make all descriptions of AAA conformance "50% of all Level 3 success criteria that apply to the content"
21:20:14 [Zakim]
-Alex_Li
21:20:32 [Zakim]
-Katie_Haritos-Shea
21:20:33 [Sorcha]
Sorcha has left #wai-wcag
21:21:00 [Zakim]
-Wendy
21:21:00 [LucaMascaro]
zakim, unmute me
21:21:01 [Zakim]
LucaMascaro should no longer be muted
21:21:02 [Zakim]
-John_Slatin
21:21:04 [Zakim]
-Andi_Snow_Weaver
21:21:05 [Zakim]
-Christophe_Strobbe
21:21:07 [Zakim]
-Becky_Gibson
21:21:09 [Zakim]
-Michael_Cooper
21:21:10 [Zakim]
-Roberto_Scano
21:21:12 [Zakim]
-Sorcha_Moore
21:21:14 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
21:21:14 [Zakim]
-LucaMascaro
21:21:15 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Ben_Caldwell, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Marco_Bertoni.a (muted)
21:21:16 [Zakim]
Ben_Caldwell has Gregg_Vanderheiden
21:21:44 [rscano]
LOL
21:21:59 [rscano]
night guys and girls!
21:22:42 [rscano]
rscano has left #wai-wcag
21:22:45 [marco_bertoni]
night everyone
21:22:46 [jslatin]
thanks, everyone!
21:22:54 [marco_bertoni]
marco_bertoni has left #wai-wcag
21:23:01 [Zakim]
-Marco_Bertoni.a
21:23:47 [Andi]
Andi has left #wai-wcag
21:24:17 [Zakim]
-Loretta_Guarino_Reid
21:24:19 [Zakim]
-Ben_Caldwell
21:24:21 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()3:00PM has ended
21:24:22 [Zakim]
Attendees were Alex_Li, Andi_Snow_Weaver, John_Slatin, Becky_Gibson, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Wendy, Roberto_Scano, LucaMascaro, Gregg_Vanderheiden, Christophe_Strobbe,
21:24:24 [Zakim]
... Katie_Haritos-Shea, Sorcha_Moore, Marco_Bertoni, Michael_Cooper, Judy
21:25:08 [ben]
Present: Alex_Li, John_Slatin, Becky_Gibson, Ben_Caldwell, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Sorcha_Moore, Roberto_Scano, Luca_Mascaro, Wendy, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Christophe_Strobbe, Marco_Bertoni, Michael_Cooper, Ben_Caldwell, Gregg_Vanderheiden, Judy_Brewer
21:29:25 [Christophe]
Christophe has left #wai-wcag
21:35:28 [judy]
judy has joined #wai-wcag
21:35:47 [jslatin]
hi judy, we finsiehd a few minutes ago
21:35:53 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()3:00PM has now started
21:35:57 [jslatin]
whoops, make that "finished"
21:36:00 [Zakim]
+Judy
21:36:02 [Zakim]
-Judy
21:36:03 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()3:00PM has ended
21:36:04 [Zakim]
Attendees were Judy
21:36:12 [judy]
yikes!
21:36:17 [ben]
zakim, bye
21:36:17 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #wai-wcag
21:36:20 [jslatin]
<grin>
21:36:23 [ben]
RRSAgent, bye
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
I see 4 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2006/04/13-wai-wcag-actions.rdf :
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: editors review the updated mapping and check with Christophe and Andi to make sure that edits are incorporated and that the issues are addressed. [1]
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/04/13-wai-wcag-irc#T20-44-16
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: GV to review techniques to make sure they agree with ALT decision and to add a note about avoiding "running two words together" problem [2]
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/04/13-wai-wcag-irc#T20-44-54
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: [3]
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/04/13-wai-wcag-irc#T20-52-53
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: John to contact Makoto about example for character cue other than asterisk [4]
21:36:23 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/04/13-wai-wcag-irc#T20-53-33