IRC log of tagmem on 2006-01-31

Timestamps are in UTC.

17:56:12 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tagmem
17:56:12 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-tagmem-irc
17:57:03 [Zakim]
TAG_Weekly()12:30PM has now started
17:57:10 [Zakim]
+Ed_Rice
17:57:27 [Ed]
Ed has joined #tagmem
17:58:19 [Ed]
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2006/01/31-agenda.html
17:58:25 [Vincent]
Vincent has joined #tagmem
17:58:26 [Ed]
Scribe: Ed
17:58:46 [Ed]
Meeting: 31 January 2006 Tag Teleconference
17:59:07 [Ed]
Chair: Vincent Quint
17:59:43 [Zakim]
+Raman
17:59:47 [Zakim]
-Ed_Rice
17:59:48 [Zakim]
+Ed_Rice
18:00:25 [Zakim]
+??P9
18:00:26 [raman]
raman has joined #tagmem
18:00:35 [Ed]
Zakim, this conference is TAG_Weekly
18:00:35 [Zakim]
Ed, this was already TAG_Weekly()12:30PM
18:00:36 [Zakim]
ok, Ed; that matches TAG_Weekly()12:30PM
18:01:01 [raman]
zakim, who is here?
18:01:01 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Ed_Rice, Raman, ??P9
18:01:03 [Zakim]
On IRC I see raman, Vincent, Ed, RRSAgent, Zakim, Norm, DanC
18:01:05 [Zakim]
+Norm
18:01:21 [Vincent]
Zakim, ??P9
18:01:21 [Zakim]
I don't understand '??P9', Vincent
18:01:23 [Norm]
zakim, ??P9 is Vincent
18:01:23 [Zakim]
+Vincent; got it
18:02:14 [Norm]
zakim, who's on the phone?
18:02:14 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Ed_Rice, Raman, Vincent, Norm
18:03:26 [Zakim]
+DanC
18:03:28 [Ed]
TOPIC: Administrative
18:04:46 [DanC]
(do we need a quorum? I suppose we can't approve the minutes without one)
18:06:53 [Ed]
regrets: Tim, Noah, Henry, Roy
18:07:04 [Ed]
Next Teleconf next week, same time Feb 7
18:07:30 [Ed]
Next week regrets: Norm.
18:07:33 [DanC]
(hmm... hard to get critical mass on xmlFunctions/self-describing web)
18:08:32 [Ed]
Next week scribe: Noah (Dan Backup)
18:08:49 [Ed]
Topic: Approve Minutes of last teleconference
18:09:33 [Ed]
Question of critical mass for approval of last minutes.
18:09:57 [DanC]
looks OK by me. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2006Jan/0019.html
18:10:57 [Ed]
without critical mass, can we make decisions.
18:10:59 [DanC]
(I don't think we need a quorum to withdraw an action)
18:11:22 [Zakim]
+DOrchard
18:12:03 [Ed]
with five tag members we can now progress.
18:12:37 [Ed]
TOPIC: Minutes from the last teleconferance
18:13:14 [Ed]
RESOLUTION: Minutes are approved from last teleconferance
18:13:30 [Ed]
TOPIC: xmlFunctions-34
18:13:56 [Ed]
Draft preface to a finding proposed by Norm.
18:14:12 [Ed]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2006Jan/0011.html
18:14:15 [DanC]
-> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2006Jan/0011.html The self-describing web...
18:15:11 [Ed]
Norm: Did my best to put something together, the response was negative so I was waiting to see what Henry wrote to see if that helped any.
18:15:38 [Ed]
Norm: Henry was going to attempt to do something this month, but he's not on the call.
18:15:57 [Ed]
Vincent: Looks like its difficult to make progress today without Henry. Other thoughts?
18:16:05 [DanC]
. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Meaning
18:16:10 [Ed]
Dan: Mark Baker had some non-negative feedback
18:17:20 [Ed]
Dan: I think we have a silent majority
18:17:46 [Ed]
Norm: Yes, but nobody chimed in. I was hoping that Tim or someone else would jump in and help defend it.
18:18:07 [Ed]
Norm: I'm sort of in the middle of the road. So I was hoping I would be convinced as well.
18:22:29 [Ed]
Norm: My own position is in the middle: I want it to be the case that I can publish a document and have people use them, on the other hand I want to have the flexibility to use a document in a completely differant way than the author intended
18:22:51 [Ed]
Dan; Yes, I agree. But you cannot hold the author accountable for the results if you use the document in a way not intended by the author.
18:24:32 [Ed]
Dan: The trick is to start with a world where everyone agrees with a certain amount of things.
18:25:02 [Ed]
Dan: So the introduction of new items would be simple by writting a web page which points to that document.
18:25:51 [Ed]
Dan: so this is going to take a lot of explanation to set that basis.
18:27:19 [Ed]
Norm: The trick will be idenfitication of the functional components of the document/languages.
18:28:17 [Ed]
Vincent: I suggest we have a second round of discussion with Henry and Tim next week.
18:28:50 [Ed]
Norm: I'll be back in two weeks, and if there is significant discussios next week I'll save some time to take a stab at drafting some sort of finding.
18:29:11 [Ed]
Norm: If we dont make progress, we can the following week when we're all on the phone.
18:29:35 [Ed]
Vincent: We probably shouldnt go much further with so many people missing.
18:30:05 [Ed]
TOPIC: Update on some issues
18:30:46 [Ed]
Vincent: I wanted to review quickly a few issues which have not been discussed recently and I wanted to try and decide what to do with these issues as well as the pending actions on these issues.
18:30:56 [Ed]
Topic: DerivedResources-43
18:31:34 [Ed]
Vincent: Last discussion in Edinburgh. The discussion was not really inclusive and so my goal today to check to see if there is anything new.
18:31:54 [dorchard]
dorchard has joined #tagmem
18:32:26 [Ed]
Norm: The last time we discussed it we decided we could not decide what the need really was. Since our test case is no longer value, so I wrote to Dave to ask him what it was about.
18:32:36 [Ed]
Dave: I say we should probably just drop this.
18:32:54 [Ed]
Dan: You mean leave it on the issues list
18:33:07 [Ed]
Ed: If we dont know what the issue is.. should we leave it on the list.
18:33:12 [DanC]
(why leave it on? because making it go away costs, too, as we saw last week.)
18:33:51 [Ed]
Dan: I prefer to call Norms action as done and keep it on the list for now.
18:34:37 [DanC]
it=DerivedResources-43
18:34:42 [Ed]
Dan: Norms action is done.
18:34:54 [Ed]
Vincent: Yes, the issue is still open, but the actions are all closed.
18:35:12 [Ed]
ACTION: Vincent to update the issues list
18:35:24 [Ed]
Topic: mediaTypeManagement-45
18:35:25 [DanC]
(I don't think it's worth tracking "update issues list" as an action)
18:35:54 [Ed]
Very old action from CL to draft a finding on this issue.
18:36:16 [Ed]
Vincent: I can check with him, just to clean up the action list.
18:37:39 [DanC]
(reviewing the history of mediaTypeManagement-45, I find myself saying "mime type versioning is hairy". )
18:39:08 [Ed]
Topic: xml11Names-46
18:39:15 [Ed]
Last discussed Oct 2005
18:39:39 [Ed]
Vincent: The ball is in the XML CG working group.
18:39:52 [Ed]
Norm: I think I have the action on this, I'll address this in a couple of weeks.
18:40:08 [Ed]
Vincent: Yes, and last time you mentioned the xml schema working group.
18:40:23 [Ed]
Norm: Yes, you may want to bring this up with Henry next week. They may be discussing this now.
18:40:39 [Ed]
Vincent: We'll check with them next week.
18:41:23 [Ed]
TOPIC: standardizedFieldValues-52
18:41:45 [Ed]
no progress since the announcement of the issue
18:42:13 [Ed]
Vincent: It was announced in May, 2005 (bug in the issues list recording it as 2004)
18:42:51 [Ed]
Vincent: It was announced six months ago. One open action assigned to Dan.
18:43:11 [Ed]
Dan: My action was to say whats going on in microformats
18:43:35 [Ed]
Dan: this is again, how do you introduce new things into the web.
18:43:56 [Ed]
Dan: I registered a mediatype under my own name, with a media type p9
18:44:22 [Ed]
Dan: Once registered it allows you to create your own type just by creating a web page.
18:44:28 [DanC]
-> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2006Jan/0081.html registering formats in the web [uriMediaType-9] [Fwd: Request for MIME media type Application/Personal Tree - prs.]
18:44:49 [Ed]
Dan: I'm asking to withdrawl my action.
18:46:29 [Ed]
RESOLUTION: Dan's action is withdrawn action item
18:46:54 [Ed]
Vincent: other items?
18:47:56 [Ed]
Zakim, list participants
18:48:01 [DanC]
DanC has changed the topic to: TAG meets 7 Feb
18:48:14 [Ed]
RRSAgent, make logs public
18:48:25 [Ed]
RRSAgent, generate minutes
18:48:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2006/01/31-tagmem-minutes.html Ed
18:54:29 [raman]
raman has left #tagmem