IRC log of wai-wcag on 2006-01-26

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:41:59 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wai-wcag
20:41:59 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2006/01/26-wai-wcag-irc
20:42:15 [ben]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2006JanMar/0152.html
20:42:23 [ben]
Meeting: WCAG Weekly Teleconference
20:44:00 [ben]
chair: Gregg_Vanderheiden and John_Slatin
20:46:00 [ben]
agenda+ General Issues (741, 1558, 1576 and 1757)
20:47:59 [ben]
agenda+ Issue 206 (from batch 1 survey)
20:48:08 [ben]
agenda+ 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.2
20:48:16 [ben]
agenda+ Techniques for SC 1.3.1:
20:48:56 [ben]
agenda+ 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 2.3
20:49:05 [ben]
agenda+ 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.4
20:50:29 [ben]
agenda+ 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.1
20:50:53 [ben]
RRSagent, do not create a new log at midnight
20:50:53 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'do not create a new log at midnight', ben. Try /msg RRSAgent help
20:56:02 [ben]
RRSAgent, do not start a new log
20:56:49 [David]
David has joined #wai-wcag
20:57:59 [LucaMascaro]
LucaMascaro has joined #wai-wcag
20:58:19 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()4:00PM has now started
20:58:26 [Zakim]
+David_MacDonald
20:58:42 [judy]
judy has joined #wai-wcag
20:59:00 [Zakim]
+??P1
20:59:12 [Zakim]
+Judy
20:59:12 [rellero]
rellero has joined #wai-wcag
21:00:17 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
21:00:21 [Zakim]
+??P4
21:00:25 [jslatin]
jslatin has joined #wai-wcag
21:00:46 [LucaMascaro]
Zakim, [IP is LucaMascaro
21:00:46 [Zakim]
+LucaMascaro; got it
21:00:48 [Zakim]
+John_Slatin
21:00:54 [Yvette]
Yvette has joined #wai-wcag
21:01:10 [ben]
zakim who is on the phone?
21:01:17 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
21:01:17 [Zakim]
On the phone I see David_MacDonald, ??P1, Judy, LucaMascaro, ??P4, John_Slatin
21:01:17 [Becky]
Becky has joined #wai-wcag
21:01:19 [Zakim]
+Michael_Cooper
21:01:28 [ben]
zakim, ??P4 is Gregg_and_Ben
21:01:28 [Zakim]
+Gregg_and_Ben; got it
21:01:37 [Zakim]
+Becky_Gibson
21:01:41 [Zakim]
+Tim_Boland
21:01:42 [Zakim]
+Alex_Li
21:01:43 [Sofia]
Sofia has joined #wai-wcag
21:01:49 [Christophe]
Christophe has joined #wai-wcag
21:01:55 [gregg]
gregg has joined #wai-wcag
21:01:56 [Zakim]
+Loretta_Guarino_Reid
21:02:00 [Zakim]
+??P12
21:02:24 [ben]
zakim, ??P12 is Yvette_Hoitink
21:02:24 [Zakim]
+Yvette_Hoitink; got it
21:02:35 [ben]
zakim, ??P1 is Katie_Haritos-Shea
21:02:35 [Zakim]
+Katie_Haritos-Shea; got it
21:02:42 [Zakim]
+Sofia_Celic
21:02:56 [Zakim]
+??P17
21:03:23 [Zakim]
+??P18
21:03:28 [ben]
zakim, ??P17 is Cynthia_Shelley
21:03:28 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelley; got it
21:03:38 [Christophe]
zakim, ??P18 is Christophe_Strobbe
21:03:38 [Zakim]
+Christophe_Strobbe; got it
21:03:40 [Becky]
zakim, I am Becky_Gibson
21:03:40 [Zakim]
ok, Becky, I now associate you with Becky_Gibson
21:03:45 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 1
21:03:45 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "General Issues (741, 1558, 1576 and 1757)" taken up [from ben]
21:03:52 [Zakim]
+Andi_Snow_Weaver
21:03:54 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
21:03:54 [Zakim]
On the phone I see David_MacDonald, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Judy, LucaMascaro, Gregg_and_Ben, John_Slatin, Michael_Cooper, Becky_Gibson, Tim_Boland, Alex_Li, Loretta_Guarino_Reid,
21:03:58 [Zakim]
... Yvette_Hoitink, Sofia_Celic, Cynthia_Shelley, Christophe_Strobbe, Andi_Snow_Weaver
21:04:20 [Michael]
scribe: Michael
21:04:22 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
21:04:24 [ben]
scribe: Michael
21:04:29 [rellero]
Zakim, [IP is rellero
21:04:29 [Zakim]
+rellero; got it
21:04:32 [ben]
RRSagent, make log world
21:04:35 [rellero]
zakim, mute me
21:04:35 [Zakim]
rellero should now be muted
21:04:57 [ben]
Regrets: Sorcha_Moore, Sebastiano_Nutarelli, Roberto_Castaldo
21:05:06 [Michael]
agenda?
21:05:10 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 1
21:05:21 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "General Issues (741, 1558, 1576 and 1757)" taken up [from ben]
21:05:25 [Zakim]
+??P6
21:05:44 [Yvette]
zakim, ??P6 is Bengt_Farre
21:05:44 [Zakim]
+Bengt_Farre; got it
21:05:53 [ben]
survey results: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20051220generalissues/results
21:06:18 [ben]
RRSAgent, pointer?
21:06:18 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2006/01/26-wai-wcag-irc#T21-06-18
21:06:29 [Andi]
Andi has joined #wai-wcag
21:06:30 [Michael]
741
21:06:33 [ben]
RRSAgent, make log world
21:07:33 [Michael]
topic: Issue 741
21:08:37 [Tim]
Tim has joined #wai-wcag
21:09:53 [Michael]
ack cyn
21:12:12 [judy]
q+ to note that logic puzzles are accessible to people who are deafblind
21:13:54 [Michael]
ack j
21:13:54 [Zakim]
judy, you wanted to note that logic puzzles are accessible to people who are deafblind
21:14:56 [Yvette]
q+
21:15:24 [Michael]
ack y
21:17:19 [Michael]
ack j
21:17:45 [judy]
q+
21:20:07 [Michael]
ack c
21:20:09 [Michael]
ack j
21:23:49 [gregg]
Proposed: Add a new situation to How to Meet 1.1.3.
21:23:49 [gregg]
Situation C: If providing text alternatives that serve the same purpose as the functional non-text content would invalidate the purpose of the functional non-text content, the following would be sufficient:
21:23:49 [gregg]
* Providing a text alternative that identifies the purpose of thefunctional non-text content
21:23:49 [gregg]
AND
21:23:49 [gregg]
* providing an alternative to the function of the non-text content
21:23:51 [gregg]
Include references cited in this issue under related resources for How to meet 1.1.3.
21:23:53 [gregg]
Summary
21:24:59 [judy]
Systems team working on site fix at the moment, no reply yet on when will be ready
21:25:58 [Michael]
ack a
21:26:14 [judy]
q+
21:26:29 [Zakim]
+Kerstin_Goldsmith
21:28:17 [Yvette]
q+ to say "Alternative version: call someone to read our website to you"
21:28:30 [Michael]
ack john
21:29:44 [Michael]
ack c
21:30:05 [Michael]
ack j
21:30:38 [Michael]
ack y
21:30:38 [Zakim]
Yvette, you wanted to say "Alternative version: call someone to read our website to you"
21:33:24 [Michael]
discussion leaning toward putting captcha under 4.2.1, but need to explore further (could bounce back to 1.1)
21:34:10 [Michael]
action: Cynthia, Kerstin, Judy explore captcha further
21:36:05 [Michael]
action 1 = Cynthia, Kerstin, Judy explore captcha further - due Feb 2
21:37:28 [Michael]
topic: Issue 1558
21:38:53 [Michael]
ack c
21:40:40 [Michael]
ack j
21:42:49 [Yvette]
zakim, mute me
21:42:50 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should now be muted
21:42:56 [Michael]
ack c
21:44:39 [Michael]
ack j
21:47:56 [Michael]
resolution: accept wording for Principle 4 "Content should be robust enough to work with current and future user agents (including assistive technologies)"
21:48:08 [Michael]
topic: Issue 1576
21:48:59 [Michael]
ack k
21:50:06 [Yvette]
zakim, unmute me
21:50:06 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should no longer be muted
21:54:13 [Yvette]
zakim, mute me
21:54:13 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should now be muted
21:54:24 [Michael]
resolution: close issue 1576 with comment "This is an internationalization issue, not faced only by people with disabilities, therefore not an accessibility issue."
21:55:06 [Michael]
zakim, next item
21:55:06 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Issue 206 (from batch 1 survey)" taken up [from ben]
21:57:30 [Christophe]
zakim, mute me
21:57:30 [Zakim]
Christophe_Strobbe should now be muted
21:59:24 [Yvette]
q+
21:59:38 [Yvette]
zakim, unmute me
21:59:38 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should no longer be muted
21:59:51 [Michael]
ack y
22:01:13 [Yvette]
zakim, mute me
22:01:13 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should now be muted
22:01:27 [Yvette]
zakim, unmute me
22:01:27 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should no longer be muted
22:01:30 [Michael]
q+
22:02:00 [Yvette]
zakim, mute me
22:02:00 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should now be muted
22:02:08 [bengt]
bengt has joined #wai-wcag
22:02:09 [David]
q+
22:03:39 [Michael]
q?
22:04:24 [Michael]
ack m
22:06:17 [Michael]
resolution: optional technique to mark every occurrence moved, is now sufficient (definately)
22:07:02 [Michael]
ack j
22:07:04 [Michael]
ack d
22:10:31 [Michael]
resolution: close issue 206. The SC itself does not use the language about first occurrence, and we have techniques showing that first occurrence and all occurrences are both sufficient. First occurrence in a URI is the existing definition of first occurrence.
22:10:35 [Michael]
zakim, next item
22:10:35 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.2" taken up [from ben]
22:11:07 [Zakim]
-LucaMascaro
22:11:30 [Yvette]
zakim, unmute me
22:11:30 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should no longer be muted
22:11:48 [ben]
unanimous consent items -
22:11:48 [ben]
1627, 1841, "Proposed revisions to intent for 1.2.2", "Including a sign language interpreter in the corner of the video stream," "Providing a synchronized video of the sign language interpreter that can be displayed in a different viewport or overlaid on the image by the player," "Creating an extended audio description for the multimedia content," "Adding extended audio descriptions in SMIL 1.0," "Adding extended audio descriptions in SMIL 2.0," "HTML technique
22:12:46 [LucaMascaro_]
LucaMascaro_ has joined #wai-wcag
22:13:20 [judy]
zakim, who's making noise?
22:13:33 [Zakim]
judy, listening for 12 seconds I heard sound from the following: Gregg_and_Ben (48%), John_Slatin (3%), Cynthia_Shelley (32%), Kerstin_Goldsmith (8%)
22:15:35 [Michael]
resolution: accept proposed actions for all surveyed items for which survey responses were unanimous, or unanimous except for editorial comments
22:16:26 [Michael]
including: 1627, 1841, "Proposed revisions to intent for 1.2.2", "Including a sign language interpreter in the corner of the video stream," "Providing a synchronized video of the sign language interpreter that can be displayed in a different viewport or overlaid on the image by the player," "Creating an extended audio description for the multimedia content," "Adding extended audio descriptions in
22:16:28 [Michael]
SMIL 1.0," "Adding extended audio descriptions in SMIL 2.0," "HTML technique
22:19:35 [Michael]
topic: Issue 1152
22:21:09 [Michael]
ack c
22:21:32 [Michael]
resolution: close 1152 with comment "WCAG believes that pre-recorded mulitmedia should have descriptions. Policy makers are repsonsible for providing exceptions for certain types of media."
22:21:46 [ben]
scribe: ben
22:21:57 [ben]
Topic: Issue 1862
22:22:11 [gregg]
Q+
22:22:27 [ben]
ack gregg
22:23:28 [Zakim]
-rellero
22:24:49 [ben]
resolution: Close 1862 with the proposed comment, adding a note about time-syncronization of tactile with audio/video
22:25:35 [Yvette]
zakim, unmute me
22:25:35 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink was not muted, Yvette
22:26:14 [rellero]
rellero has joined #wai-wcag
22:29:10 [ben]
Topic: Providing closed captions
22:29:51 [ben]
ack John
22:30:15 [Yvette]
zakim, mute me
22:30:15 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should now be muted
22:30:52 [ben]
resolution, accept proposed techniqe, "Providing closed captions" with comments from survey
22:31:08 [ben]
action: John to include links to resources for "Providing closed captions"
22:33:10 [ben]
Topic: Creating real-time captions
22:34:37 [ben]
ack Alex
22:35:03 [ben]
ack Loretta
22:35:23 [Andi]
q+
22:35:39 [ben]
ack Andi
22:37:40 [ben]
resolution: accept proposed technique, "Creating real-time captions," revising test section to say, "a procedure and policy are in place to ensure that captions are delivered in real-time"
22:38:49 [ben]
resolution, accept technique titled, "Providing open captions that are embedded directly in the video stream" and include editorial comments from survey.
22:39:07 [ben]
Topic: 06Providing a sound track that includes audio description01
22:40:35 [Yvette]
zakim, unmute me
22:40:35 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should no longer be muted
22:40:42 [Yvette]
q+ to say "John not registered"
22:44:07 [Zakim]
-Tim_Boland
22:44:11 [Tim]
Tim has left #wai-wcag
22:45:26 [Yvette]
q?
22:45:47 [Yvette]
q-
22:45:59 [ben]
no resolution
22:46:44 [ben]
action: john and gregg to work on issues with description section of "Providing a sound track that includes audio description"
22:46:58 [ben]
Topic: Failure due to captions not meeting the definition of a caption
22:47:23 [rellero]
bye I have to leave now
22:48:13 [Yvette]
zakim, mute me
22:48:13 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should now be muted
22:51:16 [ben]
action: Loretta to work on alternative title for, "Failure due to captions not meeting the definition of a caption"
22:51:36 [ben]
resolution, accept technique, "Failure due to captions not meeting the definition of a caption" and include editorial comments in survey
22:53:33 [gregg]
a j
22:53:38 [gregg]
ack j
22:54:33 [judy]
W3C servers are back now (in time for end of call...)
22:54:47 [ben]
resolution: accept technique, "Providing a synchronized video of the sign language interpreter that can be displayed in a different viewport or overlaid on the image by the player" with survey comments
22:55:08 [ben]
Topic: Creating an extended audio description for the multimedia content
22:58:00 [ben]
Topic: Captions/Audio Descriptions + Transcripts, levels, etc...
23:00:51 [Yvette]
zakim, unmute me
23:00:51 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should no longer be muted
23:01:09 [Zakim]
-Andi_Snow_Weaver
23:03:05 [David]
q+
23:05:32 [David]
zakim, mute me
23:05:32 [Zakim]
David_MacDonald should now be muted
23:05:41 [Zakim]
-Michael_Cooper
23:06:56 [Yvette]
zakim, mute me
23:06:56 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should now be muted
23:07:23 [gregg]
q+
23:07:27 [Becky]
q+
23:07:34 [gregg]
ack j
23:08:01 [Yvette]
q+
23:08:23 [ben]
ack gregg
23:11:40 [Yvette]
zakim, unmute me
23:11:40 [Zakim]
Yvette_Hoitink should no longer be muted
23:14:22 [ben]
q?
23:15:15 [ben]
ack Yvette
23:15:37 [Zakim]
-Yvette_Hoitink
23:15:54 [David]
zakim, unmute me
23:15:54 [Zakim]
David_MacDonald should no longer be muted
23:17:30 [Zakim]
-Alex_Li
23:18:23 [Christophe]
zakim, unmute me
23:18:23 [Zakim]
Christophe_Strobbe should no longer be muted
23:21:37 [Zakim]
-Katie_Haritos-Shea
23:22:05 [David]
zalim, mute me
23:22:38 [David]
zakim, mute me
23:22:38 [Zakim]
David_MacDonald should now be muted
23:22:42 [ben]
agenda?
23:22:52 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 3
23:22:52 [Zakim]
agendum 3, 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.2, closed
23:22:55 [Zakim]
I see 4 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
23:22:57 [Zakim]
4. Techniques for SC 1.3.1: [from ben]
23:22:58 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 4
23:22:58 [Zakim]
agendum 4, Techniques for SC 1.3.1:, closed
23:22:59 [Zakim]
I see 3 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
23:23:00 [Zakim]
5. 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 2.3 [from ben]
23:23:01 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 5
23:23:01 [Zakim]
agendum 5, 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 2.3, closed
23:23:03 [Zakim]
I see 2 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
23:23:05 [Zakim]
6. 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.4 [from ben]
23:23:05 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 6
23:23:05 [Zakim]
agendum 6, 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.4, closed
23:23:07 [Zakim]
I see 1 item remaining on the agenda:
23:23:08 [Zakim]
7. 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.1 [from ben]
23:23:13 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 7
23:23:13 [Zakim]
agendum 7, 26 January Open issues and techniques for Guideline 1.1, closed
23:23:16 [Zakim]
I see nothing remaining on the agenda
23:25:40 [judy]
judy has left #wai-wcag
23:25:55 [Zakim]
-Judy
23:26:31 [Zakim]
-Cynthia_Shelley
23:27:49 [Zakim]
-Sofia_Celic
23:27:50 [Zakim]
-Loretta_Guarino_Reid
23:27:51 [Zakim]
-Christophe_Strobbe
23:27:52 [Zakim]
-Bengt_Farre
23:27:53 [Zakim]
-David_MacDonald
23:27:54 [Zakim]
-Gregg_and_Ben
23:27:55 [Zakim]
-Becky_Gibson
23:27:57 [Zakim]
-Kerstin_Goldsmith
23:28:02 [Zakim]
-John_Slatin
23:28:04 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()4:00PM has ended
23:28:06 [Zakim]
Attendees were David_MacDonald, Judy, [IPcaller], LucaMascaro, John_Slatin, Michael_Cooper, Gregg_and_Ben, Becky_Gibson, Tim_Boland, Alex_Li, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Yvette_Hoitink,
23:28:10 [Zakim]
... Katie_Haritos-Shea, Sofia_Celic, Cynthia_Shelley, Christophe_Strobbe, Andi_Snow_Weaver, rellero, Bengt_Farre, Kerstin_Goldsmith
23:28:19 [bengt]
bengt has left #wai-wcag
23:28:32 [Andi]
Andi has left #wai-wcag
23:28:40 [ben]
zakim, bye
23:28:40 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #wai-wcag
23:29:11 [Christophe]
Christophe has left #wai-wcag
23:30:12 [ben]
ben has left #wai-wcag