IRC log of wai-wcag on 2006-01-19

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:34:04 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wai-wcag
20:34:04 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2006/01/19-wai-wcag-irc
20:36:26 [ben]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2006JanMar/0114.html
20:45:21 [bengt]
bengt has joined #wai-wcag
20:47:10 [rellero]
rellero has joined #wai-wcag
20:52:08 [Sorcha]
Sorcha has joined #wai-wcag
20:53:50 [ben]
Meeting: WCAG Weekly Telecon
20:54:48 [ben]
agenda+ 12 January Techniques and Open Issues for 1.3
20:54:56 [ben]
agenda+ 12 January Techniques and Open Issues for 1.1
20:55:06 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()4:00PM has now started
20:55:09 [ben]
agenda+ Programmatically determined, UA support, etc.
20:55:14 [Zakim]
+ +3531293aaaa
20:55:18 [ben]
agenda+ Misc. Questions from 22 December Telecon
20:55:24 [ben]
agenda+ General Issues
20:55:38 [ben]
agenda+ Batch 1 Items
20:57:21 [Michael]
Michael has joined #wai-wcag
20:59:51 [Becky]
Becky has joined #wai-wcag
20:59:57 [Zakim]
+Loretta_Guarino_Reid
21:00:02 [Zakim]
+Becky_Gibson
21:00:07 [Judy]
Judy has joined #wai-wcag
21:00:32 [Zakim]
+??P7
21:00:40 [gregg]
gregg has joined #wai-wcag
21:00:48 [ben]
zakim, ??P7 is Gregg_John_and_Ben
21:00:48 [Zakim]
+Gregg_John_and_Ben; got it
21:00:59 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
21:00:59 [Zakim]
On the phone I see +3531293aaaa, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Becky_Gibson, Gregg_John_and_Ben
21:01:01 [Zakim]
+Michael_Cooper
21:01:24 [Zakim]
+Judy
21:01:44 [Zakim]
+??P11
21:01:58 [Andi]
Andi has joined #wai-wcag
21:02:07 [Zakim]
+Andi_Snow_Weaver
21:02:11 [bengt]
zakim, ??P11 is Bengt_Farre
21:02:11 [Zakim]
+Bengt_Farre; got it
21:02:13 [ben]
zakim, +3531293aaa is Sorcha_Moore
21:02:13 [Zakim]
+Sorcha_Moore; got it
21:02:24 [ben]
rrsagent, make log world
21:02:26 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
21:02:43 [rellero]
zakim, ??+[IPcaller] is rellero
21:02:43 [Zakim]
sorry, rellero, I do not recognize a party named '??+[IPcaller]'
21:03:08 [rellero]
zakim, ??[IPcaller] is rellero
21:03:08 [Zakim]
sorry, rellero, I do not recognize a party named '??[IPcaller]'
21:03:09 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelly
21:03:28 [rellero]
zakim, ??IPcaller is rellero
21:03:28 [Zakim]
sorry, rellero, I do not recognize a party named '??IPcaller'
21:03:37 [bengt]
zakim, [IP is rellero
21:03:37 [Zakim]
+rellero; got it
21:03:42 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
21:03:42 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Sorcha_Moore, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Becky_Gibson, Gregg_John_and_Ben, Michael_Cooper (muted), Judy, Bengt_Farre, Andi_Snow_Weaver, rellero, Cynthia_Shelly
21:03:43 [Sofia]
Sofia has joined #wai-wcag
21:03:44 [rellero]
tx :-)
21:04:18 [Zakim]
+??P16
21:04:19 [Zakim]
+Kerstin_Goldsmith
21:04:32 [Zakim]
+Sofia_Celic
21:04:33 [Becky]
zakim, I am Becky_Gibson
21:04:33 [Zakim]
ok, Becky, I now associate you with Becky_Gibson
21:04:36 [Zakim]
-Cynthia_Shelly
21:04:59 [bengt]
zakim, who is here ?
21:04:59 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Sorcha_Moore, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Becky_Gibson, Gregg_John_and_Ben, Michael_Cooper (muted), Judy, Bengt_Farre, Andi_Snow_Weaver, rellero, ??P16,
21:05:02 [Zakim]
... Kerstin_Goldsmith, Sofia_Celic
21:05:04 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Sofia, Andi, gregg, Judy, Becky, Michael, Sorcha, rellero, bengt, RRSAgent, Zakim, ben
21:05:06 [ben]
chair: Gregg_Vanderheiden and John_Slatin
21:05:19 [ben]
agenda?
21:05:44 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 1
21:05:44 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "12 January Techniques and Open Issues for 1.3" taken up [from ben]
21:05:48 [bengt]
zakim, I am Bengt_Farre
21:05:48 [Zakim]
ok, bengt, I now associate you with Bengt_Farre
21:05:54 [bengt]
zakim, mute me
21:05:54 [Zakim]
Bengt_Farre should now be muted
21:06:17 [ben]
scribe: ben
21:06:39 [bengt]
ben: who is ??P16
21:06:45 [ben]
resolution: accept proposed resolutions for 205, 354, 389, 390, 524, 526, 534, 535, 537, 539, 612, 613, 614, 615
21:07:14 [ben]
survey results: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/GL13Jan1206/results
21:07:58 [Zakim]
+Alex_Li
21:09:37 [Zakim]
-Judy
21:09:54 [Zakim]
+Judy
21:10:12 [Judy]
q+
21:16:21 [gregg]
ack j
21:16:24 [ben]
zakim, ??P16 is Katie_Haritos_Shea
21:16:24 [Zakim]
+Katie_Haritos_Shea; got it
21:16:34 [ben]
ack ??P16
21:18:16 [ben]
yep
21:18:42 [ben]
topic: Issue 1795: Definition of "perceivable structures"
21:21:55 [Zakim]
-rellero
21:24:55 [ben]
Regrets: Roberto_Scano, Sebastiano_Nutarelli, Yvette_Hoitink, Roberto_Castaldo
21:25:47 [ben]
resolution: accept definition of "perceivable structures" as proposed and close issue 1795.
21:27:20 [Michael]
zakim, unmute me
21:27:20 [Zakim]
Michael_Cooper should no longer be muted
21:28:46 [ben]
Topic: Ensuring that color encoded information is also available in text
21:33:24 [ben]
resolution: accept techniqe "Ensuring that color encoded information is also available in text." as proposed.
21:34:13 [ben]
Topic: Proposed technique, "Using color and pattern"
21:35:25 [Zakim]
+??P0
21:35:34 [Zakim]
-Kerstin_Goldsmith
21:37:56 [gregg]
ack l
21:38:03 [ben]
ack Kat
21:38:51 [ben]
zakim, who is on the phone?
21:38:51 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Sorcha_Moore, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Becky_Gibson, Gregg_John_and_Ben, Michael_Cooper (muted), Bengt_Farre (muted), Andi_Snow_Weaver, Katie_Haritos_Shea,
21:38:54 [Zakim]
... Sofia_Celic, Alex_Li, Judy, ??P0
21:39:57 [ben]
zakim, ??P0 is Kerstin_Goldsmith
21:39:57 [Zakim]
+Kerstin_Goldsmith; got it
21:40:40 [ben]
action: editors determine whether "image" or "graphic" is most appropriate term to use throughout
21:41:15 [ben]
resolution: accept technique "Using color and pattern."
21:41:59 [ben]
Topic: Technique: Marking emphasized or special text
21:43:47 [ben]
action editors: review "Technique: Marking emphasized or special text"
21:44:20 [ben]
Topic: Technique: State information explicitly in text
21:46:17 [Michael]
zakim, unmute me
21:46:17 [Zakim]
Michael_Cooper should no longer be muted
21:48:06 [ben]
resolution: accept Technique: State information explicitly in text, retitled as, "Using text to convey information that is conveyed by variations in presentation of text"
21:48:31 [ben]
Topic: Including meaning-critical sequences in the programmatically determined reading order
21:49:32 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelly
21:52:22 [ben]
action: team B to consider dividing into multiple techniques and repropose
21:53:09 [ben]
Topic: Priority level of SC 1.3.5
21:59:04 [Zakim]
+David_MacDonald
21:59:17 [ben]
resolution: move ack Lor
21:59:22 [ben]
ack lor
22:00:21 [Andi]
q+
22:00:22 [David]
David has joined #wai-wcag
22:03:30 [ben]
ack Andi
22:05:22 [Andi]
q+
22:05:31 [gregg]
ack alex
22:05:32 [ben]
ack Alex
22:08:07 [gregg]
ack cyn
22:08:08 [ben]
ack Cynthia
22:08:44 [Andi]
q-
22:12:01 [ben]
ack Lor
22:13:42 [ben]
resolution: move SC 1.3.5, "When content is arranged in a sequence that affects its meaning, that sequence can be programmatically determined" to level 2. When techniques are more complete, we will revisit the question of moving this to level 1.
22:14:49 [ben]
Topic: proposed technique, "Providing textual identification of items that otherwise rely only on shape and/or position to be understood"
22:16:18 [ben]
resolution: accept technique, "Providing textual identification of items that otherwise rely only on shape and/or position to be understood." as revised.
22:16:57 [ben]
Topic: Priority level of SC 1.3.6
22:22:07 [ben]
ack Cyn
22:22:09 [ben]
ack Katie
22:28:23 [Zakim]
-Michael_Cooper
22:32:52 [ben]
22:32:52 [ben]
22:32:52 [ben]
resolution: move SC 1.3.6, "Information required to understand and operate content does not rely on shape, size, visual location, or orientation of components" to level 2 and close issue 1851.
22:33:03 [ben]
rationale: the working group is concerned that this may require changes in the design that are not appropriate at level 1
22:33:10 [ben]
zakim, close this item
22:33:10 [Zakim]
agendum 1 closed
22:33:11 [Zakim]
I see 5 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
22:33:12 [Zakim]
2. 12 January Techniques and Open Issues for 1.1 [from ben]
22:33:23 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 2
22:33:23 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "12 January Techniques and Open Issues for 1.1" taken up [from ben]
22:33:37 [ben]
results: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/2006-01-12-1-1-techs/results
22:35:30 [ben]
Topic: Using alt attributes on applet elements
22:36:17 [ben]
resolution: accept proposed technique, "Using alt attributes on applet elements" and close issue 1877 as proposed.
22:36:38 [ben]
action: editors incorporate 12 Jan survey comments for, "Using alt attributes on applet elements"
22:37:04 [ben]
Topic: proposed technique, "Using longdesc"
22:42:25 [ben]
resolution: accept proposed technique, "Using alt attributes on images used as submit buttons"
22:42:55 [ben]
action: editors to incorporate editorial comments in "Using alt attributes on images used as submit buttons"
22:44:41 [ben]
resolution: accept proposed technique, "Using null alt text and no title attribute on img elements for spacer images" with editorial changes noted in survey.
22:45:49 [ben]
Topic: Issue 1801 - SC 1.1.3 - content intended to create a specific sensory experience
22:48:33 [ben]
resolution: close issue 1801 as proposed and update the definition of "specific sensory experience" to read, "non-text content that causes a sensory experience that is not purely decorative and does not primarily convey important information or perform a function."
22:48:33 [Zakim]
-Cynthia_Shelly
22:48:54 [Zakim]
+Cynthia_Shelly
22:49:03 [ben]
Topic: Failure due to not collating captions and audio descriptions...
22:51:24 [ben]
no resolution, needs cleanup
22:51:30 [ben]
zakim, close this item
22:51:30 [Zakim]
agendum 2 closed
22:51:31 [Zakim]
I see 4 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
22:51:32 [Zakim]
3. Programmatically determined, UA support, etc. [from ben]
22:51:43 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 3
22:51:43 [Zakim]
agendum 3, Programmatically determined, UA support, etc., closed
22:51:44 [Zakim]
I see 3 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
22:51:45 [Zakim]
4. Misc. Questions from 22 December Telecon [from ben]
22:51:51 [ben]
zakim, take up agendum 4
22:51:51 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Misc. Questions from 22 December Telecon" taken up [from ben]
22:52:33 [ben]
survey results: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20051222-misc/results
22:53:09 [ben]
Topic: Proposed Revisions to SC 2.2.5
22:53:30 [ben]
ack Cyn
22:54:40 [ben]
ack Lor
22:59:44 [ben]
resolution: revise SC 2.2.5 to read, "2.2.5 Interruptions, such as updated content, can be postponed or suppressed by the user, except interruptions involving an emergency.
23:00:32 [ben]
Topic: Proposed definition of "sign language interpretation"
23:01:04 [ben]
resolution: accept proposed definition as, "translation of spoken words and other audible information into a language that uses a simultaneous combination of handshapes, facial expressions, and orientation and movement of the hands, arms or body to convey meaning."
23:02:26 [ben]
Topic: Proposed definition of "audio description"
23:03:44 [ben]
resolution: accept John's proposed definition, replacing "naturally occurring" with "exising." -
23:03:44 [ben]
narration added to the soundtrack to describe important visual details that cannot be understood from the main soundtrack alone. During existing pauses in dialog, audio descriptions of video provide information about actions, characters, scene changes and on-screen text.
23:03:52 [ben]
zakim, close this item
23:03:52 [Zakim]
agendum 4 closed
23:03:54 [Zakim]
I see 2 items remaining on the agenda; the next one is
23:03:55 [Zakim]
5. General Issues [from ben]
23:04:45 [ben]
resolution: defer non-category 1 items from general and batch 1 surveys to editors for cleanup.
23:04:52 [ben]
zakim, close item 6
23:04:52 [Zakim]
agendum 6, Batch 1 Items, closed
23:04:53 [Zakim]
I see 1 item remaining on the agenda:
23:04:54 [Zakim]
5. General Issues [from ben]
23:04:56 [ben]
zakim, close item 6
23:04:56 [Zakim]
agendum 6, Batch 1 Items, closed
23:04:57 [Zakim]
I see 1 item remaining on the agenda:
23:04:58 [Zakim]
5. General Issues [from ben]
23:08:22 [Zakim]
-Becky_Gibson
23:13:09 [ben]
ack Ker
23:14:46 [ben]
agenda?
23:14:52 [ben]
zakim, close agendum 5
23:14:52 [Zakim]
agendum 5, General Issues, closed
23:14:53 [Zakim]
I see nothing remaining on the agenda
23:15:04 [Judy]
Judy has joined #wai-wcag
23:16:44 [Zakim]
-Andi_Snow_Weaver
23:16:46 [Zakim]
-Judy
23:19:32 [Zakim]
-Sofia_Celic
23:19:53 [Zakim]
-Katie_Haritos_Shea
23:20:04 [Sorcha]
Sorcha has left #wai-wcag
23:20:45 [gregg]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/
23:24:09 [Zakim]
-Alex_Li
23:27:55 [Zakim]
-Sorcha_Moore
23:29:23 [Zakim]
-Loretta_Guarino_Reid
23:30:29 [Zakim]
-Kerstin_Goldsmith
23:30:30 [Zakim]
-Cynthia_Shelly
23:30:30 [Zakim]
-Gregg_John_and_Ben
23:30:32 [Zakim]
-David_MacDonald
23:30:33 [Zakim]
-Bengt_Farre
23:30:34 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG()4:00PM has ended
23:30:36 [Zakim]
Attendees were +3531293aaaa, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Becky_Gibson, Gregg_John_and_Ben, Michael_Cooper, Judy, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Bengt_Farre, Sorcha_Moore, [IPcaller], Cynthia_Shelly,
23:30:38 [Zakim]
... rellero, Kerstin_Goldsmith, Sofia_Celic, Alex_Li, Katie_Haritos_Shea, David_MacDonald
23:31:03 [bengt]
bengt has left #wai-wcag
23:34:15 [ben]
Present: Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Becky_Gibson, Gregg_Vanderheiden, John_Slatin, Ben_Caldwell, Michael_Cooper, Judy_Brewer, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Bengt_Farre, Sorcha_Moore, Cynthia_Shelly, Kerstin_Goldsmith, Sofia_Celic, Alex_Li, Katie_Haritos_Shea, David_MacDonald
23:34:45 [ben]
zakim, bye
23:34:45 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #wai-wcag
23:36:21 [ben]
RRSagent, pointer?
23:36:21 [RRSAgent]
See http://www.w3.org/2006/01/19-wai-wcag-irc#T23-36-21
23:55:17 [ben]
RRSAgent, bye
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
I see 5 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2006/01/19-wai-wcag-actions.rdf :
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: editors determine whether "image" or "graphic" is most appropriate term to use throughout [1]
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/01/19-wai-wcag-irc#T21-40-40
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: editors to review "Technique: Marking emphasized or special text" [2]
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/01/19-wai-wcag-irc#T21-43-47
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: team B to consider dividing into multiple techniques and repropose [3]
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/01/19-wai-wcag-irc#T21-52-22
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: editors incorporate 12 Jan survey comments for, "Using alt attributes on applet elements" [4]
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/01/19-wai-wcag-irc#T22-36-38
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: editors to incorporate editorial comments in "Using alt attributes on images used as submit buttons" [5]
23:55:17 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/01/19-wai-wcag-irc#T22-42-55