Minutes for 3 October 2007 URW3 Meeting



  1. Approve minutes from previous three meetings. Note, the minutes are linked from http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/urw3/#Minutes.
  2. Review status of action items from previous meeting.
  3. Report from editing committee
  4. Completion of uncertainty ontology (http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/urw3/wiki/UncertaintyOntology).
  5. Approach to identifying target methodologies.
  6. Face-to-face at SUM. 
  7. Other business

Scribe: Mitch Kokar

Discussion summary:

  1. Approve minutes from previous three meetings.  Note, the minutes are linked from http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/urw3/#Minutes
  2. Review status of action items from previous meeting

    Action 1: Ken to check attendance and send out email.  
    Ken sent email to group to encourage participation.  Action closed.

  3. Action 2:  [previous mtg action 1] Editing team to go over IRC log and capture essential topics to include in our report.  
    Paulo did a first crack at the final report, going through wiki and irc logs.  Action closed.

    Action 3: [previous mtg actions 2,4,5] Coordination with HCLSIG (1) Vipul to coordinate with Eric Neumann who has SWCG action, (2) Mike Pool to assist.  
    This action was not done. Ken to send Eric N's contact info to Mike (done during meeting).
    ACTION: Action 3 from previous meeting is still open; Mike to coordinate with Eric N. and Vipul.

    Action 4: Anne will look into POWDER and report back to us.
    Note:  POWDER Working Group (http://www.w3.org/2007/powder/ ) has recently published Working Drafts.

    Anne Cregan sent Kathy L. a summary of POWDER to include in minutes. Here is the summary:

    In brief, the idea of POWDER is to provide a mechanism, using machine readable meta-data, where a description of a group of web resources can be associated with the web resources and retrieved, without retrieving the web resources themselves.
    This allows the author to say things like :
    Other parties can check that the author actually said this about these resources.
    POWDER is based on RDF and a vocabulary working draft was released on 25 September 2007.

    Kathy suggested we should continue to monitor the work on POWDER.

    Thanks Anne for summary. Action closed.

    Action 5:  Peter to send email to group for author to annotate potential disagreements in uncertainty ontology with who entered them.  
    Peter sent email but there was no response.  Action closed.
    ACTION: Kathy will move this section to discussion page and note that author is unknown

    Action 6:  Kathy to send email to group asking what open issues remain in uncertainty ontology (in preparation to annotating use cases)  
    Action 6 will be superceded by agendum 4 today. Action closed.

    Action 7:  Ken and Kathy to meet with editing team, discuss Discovery, report back to group  
    Report is agendum 3. Action closed.

  4. Report from editing committee.

  5. Completion of uncertainty ontology
  6. Approach to identifying target methodologies
  7. 4. Most Commonly Used Approaches to Uncertainty for the WWW.
    4.1 Bayesian Models
    4.2 Fuzzy Logic
    4.3 and on - expected contributions from the group.
  8. Face-to-face at SUM.

  9. Other business

  10. Meeting was adjourned.

Action items

  1. ACTION (1): Action 3 from previous meeting is still open; Mike to coordinate with Eric N and Vipul [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/10/03-urw3-minutes.html#action01]
  2. ACTION (2): Kathy to move this section to discussion page and note that author is [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/10/03-urw3-minutes.html#action02]
  3. ACTION (3): Ken to investigate how we can post our draft report where group can see it [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/10/03-urw3-minutes.html#action03]
  4. ACTION (4): Paulo to insert his more detailed specifics in discussion section of discovery use case [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/10/03-urw3-minutes.html#action04]
  5. ACTION (5): Peter and Mitch - a short discussion on how probabilistic and fuzzy could be combined [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/10/03-urw3-minutes.html#action05]
  6. ACTION (6): Editing team to appropriately connect Discovery use case to uncertainty ontology and then start identifying "methodologies" for addressing [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/10/03-urw3-minutes.html#action06]