Minutes for 13 June 2007 URW3 Meeting



  1. Approve minutes from previous meetings
  2. Review purpose and role of use cases
  3. Assign people to discuss use cases at future telecons
  4. Preliminary discussion of Appointment Making use case
  5. Discuss Mitch uncertainty ontology
  6. Other business

Scribe: Peter Vojtas

Discussion summary:

Again, there were some logistical problems due to the inability of European callers to dial in on the Europe numbers. Phone-in to the Boston, USA number worked, and eventually the European members dialed in to that number.

  1. Approve minutes from previous meetings

  2.     Minutes from May 23 were approved. A problem how to generate minutes was discussed. Problems with saving files created from templates were observed.

  3. Review purpose and role of use cases

  4. Several attendees pointed to the fact that in use cases (as of today) it is not visible where uncertainty comes in and how it is used for inference. The template does not make it clear. Moreover this is a critical part of the report XG will produce. It would be also helpful to have the structure of the final report (we should look at the charter deliverables as the basis for the outline of the final report).

  5. Assign people to discuss use cases at future telecons

  6. We have noted that Discovery, User Preference Modeling and Soft Shopping Agents use cases have a lot in common and will discussed together in next telecon on June 27. Recommendation and belief fusion use cases will be discussed in 4 weeks from now.

  7. Preliminary discussion of Appointment Making use case http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/urw3/wiki/AppointmentMaking

  8. The motivation of this use case is from the original paper of TBL+ in Scientific American. Many interesting aspect about uncertainty arose from discussion. It became clear that purpose and role of use cases and uncertainty ontology play the role. All should think about how to capture discussion, whether we need a modification of use case template. Finally, after having few discussions, we can decide how to structure future discussions.

  9. Discuss Mitch uncertainty ontology http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/urw3/wiki/UncertaintyOntology

  10. Diagrams at above link were commented by Mitch. Two papers are linked too, there is a very good book by David Schum called The Evidential Foundations. One question is whether only Web specific, or Web related questions of uncertainty have to be discussed or we discuss uncertainty in general. Different aspects were discussed and time became late, we agreed to continue over e-mail.

  11. Other business
  12. Coordination with HCLSIG was proposed.

    Action items

  1. ACTION: Kathy/Ken to modify template and instructions to get around problem of others saving with ACL line [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/13-urw3-minutes.html#action01]
  2. ACTION: Kathy/Ken, clean up wiki to create specific place for general topics that are not use cases [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/13-urw3-minutes.html#action02]
  3. ACTION: Ken - contact Umberto to see if he can support discussion at next telecon [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/13-urw3-minutes.html#action03] (confirmed by Umberto).
  4. ACTION: Vipul and Mitch and anyone else who cares to contribute to uncertainty ontology [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/13-urw3-minutes.html#action04]
  5. ACTION: Vipul to work w/ Ken/Kathy on coordinating with HCLSIG [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/06/13-urw3-minutes.html#action05]