- 1 Deprecated, please use Topics!!!
- 2 Topics for LLD Discussion and Use Cases
Deprecated, please use Topics!!!
Topics for LLD Discussion and Use Cases
Conceptual Models and KOS
kc: This is the development of conceptual information models (like FRBR). These models do not determine particular technologies, but ideally would be developed iteratively with actual implementations.
- Knowledge representation issues / Describing library and museum authorities and KOS resources as Linked Data [jyoung4, GordonD, dlukose, antoine, marcia]
- Using SKOS to describe knowledge organization systems (KOS) that have been used by library, archive, and museum communities (LCSH, RAMEAU, AAT, RGN, TGM I and II, DDC, etc.) [marcia, bvatant, ndelaforge, keckert, GordonD, AMicsik, dlukose]
- Persons, families, corporate bodies, works [ahaffner, ndelaforge, emmanuelle]
- FRBR group 1 entities [jyoung4, ahaffner, Jschneid4, wwaites2, kcoyle], frbr entities in general [StuWeibel]
- Characteristics of a common model that embraces the legacy of MARC data and the abstractions of FRBR, and makes evident how such a model could be grown coherently to include the varieties of other metadata relevant to the community?
- Types of library data other than bibliographic and authority, e.g., circulation, statistics (COUNTER, SUSHI), full-text sources (e.g. DOAJ, Project Gutenberg, etc) [Jschneid4, keckert]
- Publishing citations, e.g. best practice for citations in RDF http://www.semanticoverflow.com/questions/963/best-vocabulary-for-converting-bibtex-to-rdf/971
- "Application profiles"
- Specifying/documenting the content of metadata for use by other information producers and by information consumers [Tom, ahaffner, Jschneid4, keckert, kcoyle]
Semantic Web Environmental Issues
kc: these are issues that are generally not directly related to library data, but to the application of the Semantic Web principles to data. Some (most?) of these need to be resolved s we create LLD.
- Use of Identifiers [GordonD, dlukose, StuWeibel, emmanuelle]
- HTTP URIs, DOIs, handles, ARKs, shorteners, hash, slash, 303 redirects, PURLs [jyoung4, ndelaforge, keckert, digikim, StuWeibel, emmanuelle]
- Identifiers for properties and classes, concepts, and "real world things" [bvatant, keckert, StuWeibel]
- Linking across datasets [digikim, dlukose, antoine]
- How much linking is there? What links to what? [Jschneid4, GordonD]
- Alignment (cross-linking) of vocabularies [GordonD, AMicsik, dlukose, antoine]
- Interoperability, "mapping frameworks", etc
- Alignment of element sets [ahaffner]
- Alignment of authorities [jyoung4]
- Alignment of real-world-resource identifiers [bvatant]
- The Linked Data paradigm and the Metadata Record paradigm [GordonD, AMicsik, dlukose, emmanuelle]
- Models for packaging Linked Data in records, e.g., Named Graphs [jyoung4, keckert, StuWeibel, emmanuelle]
- Provenance of Linked Data [keckert, wwaites2, rsinger, emmanuelle]
- REST patterns for Linked Data [jyoung4, ndelaforge, keckert, digikim, AMicsik]
- Conversion issues, e.g., URIs, content negotiation, RDF compatibility [jyoung4, ndelaforge, rsinger, dlukose, emmanuelle]
Management of data and distribution
kc: hosting, maintenance, system stability.
- linked data management, hosting, and preservation [digikim, GordonD, kcoyle, emmanuelle]
- vocabulary-specific aspects of management, hosting, and presentation [digikim, GordonD,kcoyle]
- Versioning, updates [bvatant, rsinger, antoine, emmanuelle]
- Dissemination mechanisms: RDF schemas, RDFa, bulk download, feeds, SPARQL... [jyoung4, keckert, digikim, dlukose, antoine]
- Discuss how to reflect changes in a concept scheme in linked data set(s). What are new challenges and approaches? [marcia, bvatant, keckert]
- How to deal with obsolete concepts? [bvatant, ndelaforge, keckert, wwaites2]
- Issues of Web architecture, e.g., persistent URI design best practices, HTTP [jyoung4, ndelaforge, keckert, digikim]
- Caching strategies [ndelaforge, keckert, digikim]
Applying SemWeb Technology to Library Data (Implementation)
kc: Some of the actual details that need to be resolved for our data.
- Legacy data
- Available pools of linked data (inventory): quality, granularity, link integrity, vocabulary usage [gneher, ahaffner, rsinger, antoine, kcoyle]
- Status of library-related vocabularies in development, e.g., RDA, FRAD and FRBR [jyoung4, wwaites2, GordonD, rsinger, dlukose, emmanuelle]
- Translation of data in MARC format to linked data [wwaites2, GordonD, rsinger, dlukose, antoine, kcoyle, StuWeibel, emmanuelle]
- Applying FRBR, FRAD, RDA [jyoung4, ahaffner, Jschneid4, wwaites2, emmanuelle]
- Check if and how to use SKOS to describe integrated KOS or mapping results. [marcia, keckert]
- Confirm the use of SKOS for multilingual KOS vocabularies. [marcia, bvatant, keckert]
- Check if SKOS extensions are needed for describing particular types of KOS (term list, name authority file (not limited to agents and works), digital gazetteer, list of subject headings, taxonomy, thesauri, classification, etc.) and provide SKOSified KOS examples. [marcia, keckert]
- Dilemma between skos:concept and foaf:person (rda:person, frbr:person, frad:person) for person authorities [jyoung4, ahaffner, bvatant, ndelaforge, keckert, wwaites2, rsinger, marma, emmanuelle]
- Best practice for the description of personal names and name variants
- Use of Identifiers [GordonD, dlukose, StuWeibel, emmanuelle]
- Identifiers for libraries? ISIL, possibly urn:isil: namespace [StuWeibel]
- Reuse or urlification of traditional identifiers [jyoung4, StuWeibel]
- Namespace policies [keckert, StuWeibel]
Community and Management Issues
kc: questions that are more political and organizational than technical
What obstacles do libraries, museums, archives, publishers, currently face in publishing and managing Linked Data? How can the obstacles be removed? What role for libraries? [jyoung4, ndelaforge, digikim, GordonD, rsinger, dlukose, StuWeibel, emmanuelle]
- Licenses, IP, DRM, other availability/rights/access restriction info [antoine, kcoyle, emmanuelle]
- Strategic guidance
- Workflows or roadmaps for different kinds Linked Data projects [keckert, emmanuelle]
- Examples of business models of managing linked library resources (metadata, vocabulary, and KOS resources) [digikim]
- Common patterns in Linked Data, with examples, and with best practices for "Linked Data friendly" output from traditional library data - to provide guidance and save time - maybe several best practices when there are several good ways to solve a problem.
- Community-building, education and outreach
- Need for training and documentation (a Linked Data primer for libraries ?) [gneher, Jschneid4, keckert, digikim, antoine, emmanuelle]
- Liaison with standardisation bodies and initiatives (ISO and national bodies, IFLA, International Council on Archives, CIDOC...) [GordonD, emmanuelle]
- Outreach to other communities (archives, museums, publishers, the Web) [Jschneid4, GordonD, antoine]
- Next steps
- Future working groups? In W3C, in library world, or elsewhere? [digikim, StuWeibel, emmanuelle]
- Set up other groups to define best practices - what is needed to make that doable for other groups with more time/broader scope?
Who is who?
- antoine = Antoine Isaac, VUA & Europeana, Netherlands
- bvatant = Bernard Vatant, Mondeca
- digikim = Kim Viljanen, Aalto University, Finland
- dlukose = Dickson Lukose, MIMOS BHD, Malaysia
- emmanuelle = Emmanuelle Bermes, BnF
- JSchneid4 = Jodi Schneider, DERI Galway
- jyoung4 = Jeff Young, OCLC Research
- kcoyle = Karen Coyle
- marcia = Marcia Zeng, Kent State U. US
- rsinger = Ross Singer, Talis
- ndelaforge = Nicolas Delaforge, INRIA Sophia-Antipolis France