Federated Location Sharing
- Share different types of location (point, venue, city) with different people
- Syndicate location from your own site to services like Foursquare, Gowalla, etc
GeoRSS and GeoJSON already exist – this already exists in RSS and JSON
Problem: in GeoJSON you can't represent a circle...
Two people want to be notified if they are within a certain distance of eachother – but they are on different servers... How can you do a comparison on proximity without giving away exact position?
Series of yes/no questions? Very chatty.
Blur fliter -
Tantek: “I want to check in from my own site.”
Fireeagle defined levels of fuzziness...
Brightkite – allowed you to “check in” and then blur your location out...
How do you de-centralize four-square. - Tantek has implemented de-centralized twitter... push from there to foursquare, to brightkite, to gowalla... Use microformats... “the database on the web” - use Yahoo! Searchmonkey “show me all the hcards that have this location”... You need realtime aggregator – to store check-ins, to share check-ins...
What's the open format for this? Should be an activity stream with a special verb...
Cache but don't copy venue data from other places...
It might take more than one URI to describe a place – how do you tell that...
- Layers are a collection of places of interest
- Users can create their own layers (i.e. of favorite places)
- Users can subscribe to public channels (i.e. a list of all US cities)
- Actions can be set per layer, i.e.
- Update my AIM status whenever I am in a location on the "City" layer
- Send my carpool buddies an SMS when I'm 1/2 mile from the pickup spot
- Check in to FourSquare when I'm in a location on my "Restaurants" layer
- [Your action here] - run this callback URL whenever I enter a place in the "secret locations" layer
- Places of interest generated a trigger when:
- When entering the place
- When leaving the place
- After being at this place for n minutes
- If not in the place at the specified time interval
- Layer is a collection of "places of interest".... Every user can define their own layers based on landmarks relevant to them...
- Could be a shape (GeoJSON), could be a point (lat/long/radius)
- Privacy is set per layer, not per person
- People can set up their own layers. "this is home, this is work, etc..."
- Places are also defined by time and date - E.g. Glastonbury
- Some places of interest move around – e.g. your car...
Aaron Parecki, Don Park, Tantek Çelik, Daniel Appelquist, Tuomas Koski